|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Chemistry.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the narrator in Chapter 1, what was the key to a correct method whose model was mathematics?
2. What category of science, at the beginning of the Enlightenment, was "the science that teaches us the reasons and causes of all the effects that Nature produces," including both living and nonliving phenomena?
3. The reintroduction of atomism into chemistry was accomplished by a meteorologist, ________, who became a chemist only when he saw the implications for chemistry of his ideas about the atmosphere.
(b) John Dalton.
4. The narrator explains in Chapter 4 that the most popular textbooks in France during the first half of the eighteenth century were those of ________ and ________.
(a) Stahl / Marggraf / Rouelle.
(b) Boerhaave / Lemery.
(c) Cullen / Black.
(d) Roi / Lavoisier.
5. In 1757, thirty years after Hales described his experiments with ________, Joseph Black discovered the phenomenon of ________.
(a) Volatile liquid / fixed heat.
(b) Latent heat / Fixed heat.
(c) Fixed air / latent heat.
(d) Vaporization / Dissertation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the path by which an object slides from one point to another that is not on the same vertical line in the shortest possible time?
2. Chapter 1 states that in 1700, ________ first talked about an "almost complete revolution in geometry" that had begun with the analytic geometry of Descartes.
3. Some of the "cabinet de physique" became very large, the most famous being the collection of the ________ in Haarlem.
4. Lavoisier, along with the chemists Macquer, Cadet, and Brisson, performed experiments on ________ at the highest temperature available.
5. Who claimed a community of atheists could live a completely moral existence, according to Chapter 1 of the book "Science and the Enlightenment"?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)