|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lady Teazle hide in Act 4, Scene 3 when Sir Peter arrives?
2. Who buys some of Charles Surface's goods right away before anyone else even has an opportunity to look at them?
3. What is the setting of Act 4, Scene 1?
4. Who interrupts Joseph and Lady Teazle's rendezvous?
5. How does Sir Oliver feel about Charles refusing to sell a particular portrait?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the main themes in The School for Scandal is that appearances can be deceiving. Which characters demonstrate this theme, and how?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout Sheridan's play, it can be said that detail focusing on the gossiping circle's gatherings at Lady Sneerwell's home tend to imply that these gatherings are attended largely, if not exclusively, by women. Write an essay that either supports or disproves that women are solely responsible for spreading the gossip about which Sheridan "complains". Support your position with dialogue, text, and/or paraphrase from the play.
Essay Topic 3
"The School for Scandal and Other Plays": Does the play's title imply that members of audiences who have attend a presentation of Sheridan's play have, through the years, been actually attending a "School for Scandal" rather than the presentation of a play? Support your position with dialogue, text, or paraphrase from Sheridan's work.
This section contains 1,649 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)