|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Moses perceive all the stories about Charles following the auction?
2. In Act 4, Scene 3, we find Lady Teazle and Joseph at Joseph's house. Aside from attempting to consummate their affair, what is the pair doing?
3. Where does Lady Teazle hide in Act 4, Scene 3 when Sir Peter arrives?
4. What is Sir Oliver pleased to hear when Charles explains why he is not willing to sell his uncle's portrait for a large sum of money?
5. Whom does Mr. Moses choose to talk about to Sir Oliver?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Charles and Maria's relationship.
Essay Topic 2
It can be said that refraining from gossip and scandal is a virtue. Examine the fact that Sir Oliver's refusal to listen to others' assessments about his nephew, Charles' character, results in his ability to determine which of his nephews is more worthy of the bequeathing of his estate. Write an essay detailing how Sheridan, through the character of Sir Oliver is able to infer the message that refraining from scandal and gossip has its rewards. Also, explain whether Sheridan's subtle message is likely to reach and teach members of the audience.
Essay Topic 3
In Act 1, Scene 1, it becomes obvious that the characters in Sheridan's play have names that are symbolic of the roles that they play. Reviewing the names of the characters in the play, select two characters whom you believe best exemplify the aforementioned type of correlation. Compare and contrast how the two are alike, and how they differ, which contributes to one being more precisely named than the other.
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)