|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who admits to having been paid by Sir Oliver to forge some letters?
2. Who announces the arrival of Sir Oliver and Mr. Moses when they arrive at Charles' house to discuss his request for a loan?
3. What do the Surface brothers, Joseph and Charles disagree about in Act 5, Scene 3?
4. When Sir Peter sees a lady's petticoats behind the screen, what does Joseph claim?
5. Which named character is sitting with Charles Surface at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the play's end, can it be said that Sheridan has been successful in tackling the problem of gossip and scandal via his pen? Support your position with dialogue, text, and/or paraphrase from the play.
Essay Topic 2
Taking all of the characters in Sheridan's play into account, and all the deeds carried out by all of them in relation to refraining from participating in gossip and scandal, explain whether Sir Peter exemplifies a character who has followed Sheridan's advice not to engage in gossip; or does he exemplify a character who does not follow Sheridan's advice. Support your position with text, dialogue, and/or paraphrase from the play.
Essay Topic 3
In The School for Scandal, which characters are static and which are dynamic? How is this demonstrated?
This section contains 1,689 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)