|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Surface brothers, Joseph and Charles disagree about in Act 5, Scene 3?
2. How much does Charles offer to sell the remainder of his family portraits for?
3. What is the occupation of Sir Oliver's companion at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 2?
4. What are the men doing at the table when Mr. Moses and Sir Oliver enter at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 3?
5. What does Sir Peter suspect about Lady Teazle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Act 1, Scene 1, Lady Sneerwell explains her plot to Snake. Joseph appears and makes his involvement evident. How would The School for Scandal be different without this plot being outlined in the beginning of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the auction scene so important to The School for Scandal?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout Sheridan's play, it can be said that detail focusing on the gossiping circle's gatherings at Lady Sneerwell's home tend to imply that these gatherings are attended largely, if not exclusively, by women. Write an essay that either supports or disproves that women are solely responsible for spreading the gossip about which Sheridan "complains". Support your position with dialogue, text, and/or paraphrase from the play.
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)