|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lady Teazle wish Sir Peter would allow Maria to marry Charles?
2. What does Sir Oliver decide to do in Act 4, Scene 2?
3. When Sir Peter sees a lady's petticoats behind the screen, what does Joseph claim?
4. What does Sir Oliver decide to pay off following the portrait auction?
5. How does Joseph feel about saving the situation with Charles and Maria at the beginning of Act 5, Scene 4?
Essay Topic 1
Despite the fact that the gossipers are aware that they are ridiculed by those who do not circulate in gossip circles, the gossipers continue their gossip sessions on a regular basis. There is a sense of power that they feel that they gain by participating in the gossip sessions. Write an essay focusing on whether their power has real or imaginary value in the minds of the gossipers. Explain why, and support your position with text, dialogue and/or paraphrase from the play.
Essay Topic 2
"The School for Scandal and Other Plays": Does the play's title imply that members of audiences who have attend a presentation of Sheridan's play have, through the years, been actually attending a "School for Scandal" rather than the presentation of a play? Support your position with dialogue, text, or paraphrase from Sheridan's work.
Essay Topic 3
How is Lady Teazle's reformation shown in The School for Scandal?
This section contains 1,705 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)