|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Everyone at the table can be considered as which of the following?
2. Who do Mrs. Candour, Lady Sneerwell, Backbite, and Crabtree believe was caught with Lady Teazle?
3. Who explains that Joseph had designs on Lady Teazle?
4. What does Sir Oliver ask Charles before agreeing to loan him money?
5. Why does Lady Teazle go to Joseph's house in Act 4, Scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of gossip condemned in The School for Scandal?
Essay Topic 2
In the prologue to the play, the statement is made that Sheridan is attempting an impossibility in abolishing participation in scandal through his writing. Write an essay to compare and contrast said statement with Sir Oliver's decision to conduct his own investigation of his nephew Charles rather than to listen to the findings of others. Does that action contribute to the addition of credence to or subtract it from said comment? Support your position by explaining whether and how the caliber of Sir Oliver's character helps to either edify or disprove the statement that is initially made about Sheridan.
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Moses serves as an archetypal Jew. How does this character's appearance enhance or inhibit the anti-Semitic theme of The School for Scandal?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)