|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sir Oliver feel about Charles refusing to sell a particular portrait?
2. Who is Sir Oliver pretending to be at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 2?
3. As Act 5, Scene 2 opens, what are Mrs. Candour, Lady Sneerwell, Backbite, and Crabtree in the midst of doing?
4. In which direction within the room does Sir Peter head when Joseph is called out of the room?
5. How does Sir Oliver feel about Charles's decision about what to do with the 100 pounds from his check?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the main themes in The School for Scandal is that appearances can be deceiving. Which characters demonstrate this theme, and how?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Charles and Joseph Surface, both internally and externally.
Essay Topic 3
The statement is made that Sir Oliver has seen Charles at his worst, and Charles at his best. However, Sir Oliver is also described as "a good judge of character"; who tends to see the better side of people. Write an essay detailing whether the preceding statements contribute to the formation of an antithesis. Support your position with dialogue, text, and/or paraphrase from the play.
This section contains 243 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)