|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sir Peter decide to do about his suspicions about Lady Teazle?
2. Who tells Sir Peter about the affair between Joseph and Lady Teazle?
3. Why does Sir Peter decide to hide in Act 4, Scene 3?
4. Who interrupts Joseph and Lady Teazle's rendezvous?
5. News from Sir Oliver and Rowley that Joseph Surface will be designated as the recipient of Sir Oliver's inheritance shocks which of the following?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Sheridan's many uses of satire in The School for Scandal. How does this tone affect the reading of the play? How might the tone translate differently when being performed?
Essay Topic 2
"The School for Scandal and Other Plays": Does the play's title imply that members of audiences who have attend a presentation of Sheridan's play have, through the years, been actually attending a "School for Scandal" rather than the presentation of a play? Support your position with dialogue, text, or paraphrase from Sheridan's work.
Essay Topic 3
Step back in time to the setting of the play in the late 1700's, when modern-day entertainment outlets such as radio, television, and tabloids were not available. Focus on the gossip sessions that Lady Sneerwell holds at her home, along with those who attended and participate in those sessions. Write an essay comparing and contrasting whether the participants in her gossip sessions were participating in the gossip gatherings for the sake of entertainment, or because they simply had less than a good heart? Support your position with text, dialogue, or paraphrase from the play.
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)