|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lady Teazle wish Sir Peter would allow Maria to marry Charles?
2. What does Sir Oliver decide to do in Act 4, Scene 2?
3. When Sir Peter sees a lady's petticoats behind the screen, what does Joseph claim?
4. What does Sir Oliver decide to pay off following the portrait auction?
5. How does Joseph feel about saving the situation with Charles and Maria at the beginning of Act 5, Scene 4?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Charles and Joseph Surface, both internally and externally.
Essay Topic 2
The statement is made that Sir Oliver has seen Charles at his worst, and Charles at his best. However, Sir Oliver is also described as "a good judge of character"; who tends to see the better side of people. Write an essay detailing whether the preceding statements contribute to the formation of an antithesis. Support your position with dialogue, text, and/or paraphrase from the play.
Essay Topic 3
Despite the fact that the gossipers are aware that they are ridiculed by those who do not circulate in gossip circles, the gossipers continue their gossip sessions on a regular basis. There is a sense of power that they feel that they gain by participating in the gossip sessions. Write an essay focusing on whether their power has real or imaginary value in the minds of the gossipers. Explain why, and support your position with text, dialogue and/or paraphrase from the play.
This section contains 1,705 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)