Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lady Teazle wish Sir Peter would allow Maria to marry Charles?
2. What does Sir Oliver decide to do in Act 4, Scene 2?
3. When Sir Peter sees a lady's petticoats behind the screen, what does Joseph claim?
4. What does Sir Oliver decide to pay off following the portrait auction?
5. How does Joseph feel about saving the situation with Charles and Maria at the beginning of Act 5, Scene 4?
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Moses serves as an archetypal Jew. How does this character's appearance enhance or inhibit the anti-Semitic theme of The School for Scandal?
Essay Topic 2
"The School for Scandal and Other Plays": Does the play's title imply that members of audiences who have attend a presentation of Sheridan's play have, through the years, been actually attending a "School for Scandal" rather than the presentation of a play? Support your position with dialogue, text, or paraphrase from Sheridan's work.
Essay Topic 3
Investigate The School for Scandal as a comedy of manners. How does it adhere to and differ from the typical comedy of manners? What changes could be made to mark it more clearly as a comedy of manners? What changes could be made to prevent critics from classifying the play as a comedy of manners?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)