|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lady Teazle wish Sir Peter would allow Maria to marry Charles?
2. What does Sir Oliver decide to do in Act 4, Scene 2?
3. When Sir Peter sees a lady's petticoats behind the screen, what does Joseph claim?
4. What does Sir Oliver decide to pay off following the portrait auction?
5. How does Joseph feel about saving the situation with Charles and Maria at the beginning of Act 5, Scene 4?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Charles and Maria's relationship.
Essay Topic 2
How does The School for Scandal demonstrate the fickleness of education?
Essay Topic 3
Sir Oliver observes that any man of worth will have enemies, and since Joseph does not have any enemies, he cannot fully trust Joseph. Write an essay on whether Sir Oliver's observation can be considered to be basing a man's worth based solely on appearance. Compare and contrast Sir Oliver's method of character assessment, with that of Sheridan's, which is based on looking underneath the surface. In comparing Sir Oliver's method of character assessment with that of Sheridan's, can both methods be considered to be alike, or to be in contrast to one another? If so, how? If not, why not? Support your position with dialogue, text, and/or paraphrase from the play.
This section contains 1,705 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)