Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lady Teazle wish Sir Peter would allow Maria to marry Charles?
2. What does Sir Oliver decide to do in Act 4, Scene 2?
3. When Sir Peter sees a lady's petticoats behind the screen, what does Joseph claim?
4. What does Sir Oliver decide to pay off following the portrait auction?
5. How does Joseph feel about saving the situation with Charles and Maria at the beginning of Act 5, Scene 4?
Essay Topic 1
Investigate The School for Scandal as a comedy of manners. How does it adhere to and differ from the typical comedy of manners? What changes could be made to mark it more clearly as a comedy of manners? What changes could be made to prevent critics from classifying the play as a comedy of manners?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the symbolism of Sheridan's use of naming characters to allude to their personalities.
Essay Topic 3
Taking all of the characters in Sheridan's play into account, and all the deeds carried out by all of them in relation to refraining from participating in gossip and scandal, explain whether Sir Peter exemplifies a character who has followed Sheridan's advice not to engage in gossip; or does he exemplify a character who does not follow Sheridan's advice. Support your position with text, dialogue, and/or paraphrase from the play.
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)