|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who explains that Joseph had designs on Lady Teazle?
2. What does Sir Oliver show himself to be good at doing?
3. Why does Lady Teazle wish Sir Peter would allow Maria to marry Charles?
4. What is the occupation of Sir Oliver's alias at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 2?
5. What does Lady Teazle want Sir Peter to do as Act 4, Scene 3 comes to an end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Sir Oliver and Mr. Moses arrive at Charles' house and are greeted by his well-dressed butler, Trip, the assumption is made by both visitors that the butler is picking up bad spending habits from Charles. Write an essay with focus on whether this is one time that Sir Oliver does not adhere to Sheridan's advice of not judging individuals based solely on appearance.
Essay Topic 2
Screen scenes are prevalent in English literature, but the screen scene in The School for Scandal is highly praised. What distinguishes this from other screen scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout Sheridan's play, it can be said that detail focusing on the gossiping circle's gatherings at Lady Sneerwell's home tend to imply that these gatherings are attended largely, if not exclusively, by women. Write an essay that either supports or disproves that women are solely responsible for spreading the gossip about which Sheridan "complains". Support your position with dialogue, text, and/or paraphrase from the play.
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)