|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who admits to having been paid by Sir Oliver to forge some letters?
2. How does Lady Teazle feel about Sir Peter at the end of Act 5, Scene 2?
3. Why are Mrs. Candour, Lady Sneerwell, Backbite, and Crabtree surprised to see Sir Peter walk into his home?
4. What does Mr. Moses ask Trip to provide?
5. Why does Lady Teazle wish Sir Peter would allow Maria to marry Charles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Examine the symbolism of Sheridan's use of naming characters to allude to their personalities.
Essay Topic 2Throughout most of the play, Maria struggles to maintain her relationship with Charles. As the play comes to an end, so does her struggle. Write an essay discussing whether refraining from participation in gossip, either transmitting it or listening to it plays any significant role in Maria's eventual engagement to Charles. Does the playwright intend inference with respect to the aforementioned? Support your discussion and position with text, paraphrase, and/or dialogue from the play.
Essay Topic 3Describe Charles and Maria's relationship.
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)