|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maria leave at the end of Act 1, Scene 1?
2. How does Lady Teazle initially react to Sir Peter's attempt near the end of Act 3, Scene 1?
3. What do Charles and Joseph Surface have in common relating to Stanley?
4. What is the topic of the conversation at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1?
5. Which of the following do the gossipers at the gathering NOT assassinate with respect to their gossip targets?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rowley do to try to console Sir Peter with respect to his suspicion that Lady Teazle may be interested in Charles Surface?
2. Describe the conversation between Charles and Sir Oliver about Sir Oliver's portrait.
3. Why are Sir Peter and Lady Teazle arguing at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1?
4. In Act 1, Scene 2, how does Sir Peter Teazle's life change for the worse, six months after having married a young woman?
5. What allusion does Garrick make in the Prologue, and why?
6. What does Sir Peter tell Joseph about his marriage and decisions in Act 4, Scene 3?
7. In Act 5, Scene 1, what are the reasons behind Joseph's refusal to see "Stanley" (Sir Oliver) ?
8. How does Sir Oliver respond to Charles's offer in Act 3, Scene 3, and why?
9. What action by Charles is highlighted with respect to Sir Oliver's high regard for his nephew, Charles?
10. Why does Lady Teazle tell her husband about her affair with Joseph?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Sheridan's many uses of satire in The School for Scandal. How does this tone affect the reading of the play? How might the tone translate differently when being performed?
Essay Topic 2
Investigate The School for Scandal as a comedy of manners. How does it adhere to and differ from the typical comedy of manners? What changes could be made to mark it more clearly as a comedy of manners? What changes could be made to prevent critics from classifying the play as a comedy of manners?
Essay Topic 3
How do the other characters feel about Charles and Joseph Surface at the beginning of The School for Scandal? How do their feelings change throughout the play?
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)