|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who desperately wants to be a suitor to Maria?
2. What does Sir Peter ask Rowley not to tell his friend about?
3. Who does Rowley believe Lady Teazle has her eye on?
4. What is Maria worrying about as she enters in the middle of Act 1, Scene 1?
5. While at Lady Sneerwell's gossip gathering, Joseph Surface finds that Lady Teazle is which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 5, Scene 3, how is Sir Oliver mistakenly identified by both of his nephews?
2. What does Sir Oliver want to know about the status of Charles' moneymaking resources?
3. How does Sir Peter feel about Charles in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. In Act 3, Scene 2, what shows that Charles is a spendthrift?
5. What do Joseph and Lady Teazle discuss at the beginning of Act 4, Scene 3?
6. Why does Lady Teazle tell her husband about her affair with Joseph?
7. What happens at the beginning of the party in Act 2, Scene 2?
8. How do Mr. Moses and Trip's business negotiations progress?
9. Why is Lady Teazle upset over Joseph's conversation with Maria?
10. According to Joseph, why is he unable to help Stanley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of gossip condemned in The School for Scandal?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the auction scene so important to The School for Scandal?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout Sheridan's play, it can be said that detail focusing on the gossiping circle's gatherings at Lady Sneerwell's home tend to imply that these gatherings are attended largely, if not exclusively, by women. Write an essay that either supports or disproves that women are solely responsible for spreading the gossip about which Sheridan "complains". Support your position with dialogue, text, and/or paraphrase from the play.
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)