|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who intrudes upon Joseph and Maria's conversation?
2. Which of the following is Sir Peter Teazle not willing to do?
3. Sir Peter would like for Maria to turn her attention away from Charles Surface, and toward which of the following?
4. Who is Richard Brinsley Sheridan?
5. What does Sir Oliver plan to do when he meets with Charles?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Sir Oliver's feelings about Charles say about Sir Oliver?
2. How does Sir Peter feel about Charles in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. What does Sir Peter tell Joseph about his marriage and decisions in Act 4, Scene 3?
4. Who does Sir Peter blame for Charles Surface being a free-spending profligate?
5. Why does Rowley ask Sir Oliver not to mention marriage to Sir Peter?
6. What does Sir Peter tell Rowley about his troubles in Act 1, Scene 2?
7. In Act 5, Scene 1, what are the reasons behind Joseph's refusal to see "Stanley" (Sir Oliver) ?
8. How do Mr. Moses and Trip's business negotiations progress?
9. How does Sir Oliver's plan change, and why?
10. How do Joseph and Charles react upon learning Sir Oliver's true identity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of "A Portrait" and the Prologue?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Charles and Maria's relationship.
Essay Topic 3
"The School for Scandal and Other Plays": Does the play's title imply that members of audiences who have attend a presentation of Sheridan's play have, through the years, been actually attending a "School for Scandal" rather than the presentation of a play? Support your position with dialogue, text, or paraphrase from Sheridan's work.
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)