|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lady Teazle wanting to buy?
2. How does Maria add to Sir Peter's worries?
3. How is Sir Oliver able to impersonate Stanley?
4. What is Maria eager to talk to Sir Peter about in Scene 1 of Act 3?
5. Who receives a few lines of a letter to use in the assassination of someone's reputation?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 4, Scene 1, what does Charles ask Rowley to do?
2. Why are Sir Peter and Lady Teazle arguing at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1?
3. In Act 2, Scene 3, how does it become evident that Rowley has betrayed Sir Peter with regard to news about his marriage to a young shrew?
4. What is the characterization of Charles that Sir Oliver and Mr. Moses arrive at based on Trip the butler's appearance and behavior?
5. How does a question that Mr. Premium (Sir Oliver) asks during the auction evoke a declaration of reverence, deep respect and loyalty toward Sir Oliver from Charles?
6. What annoys Maria, ultimately forcing her to leave, in Act 1, Scene 1?
7. How does Sir Peter try to convince Lady Teazle that she she should be happy?
8. Describe the interaction between Lady Teazle and Joseph in Act 2, Scene 2.
9. Why does Maria enter the scene in Act 1, Scene 1?
10. In Act 1, Scene 2, how does Sir Peter Teazle's life change for the worse, six months after having married a young woman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Taking all of the characters in Sheridan's play into account, and all the deeds carried out by all of them in relation to refraining from participating in gossip and scandal, explain whether Sir Peter exemplifies a character who has followed Sheridan's advice not to engage in gossip; or does he exemplify a character who does not follow Sheridan's advice. Support your position with text, dialogue, and/or paraphrase from the play.
Essay Topic 2
How does The School for Scandal demonstrate the fickleness of education?
Essay Topic 3
What role do Careless and Snake play in The School for Scandal?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)