|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is a witty remark made by Benjamin Backbite that Crabtree is able to share with the gossip group?
(a) None. Crabtree does not remember any of Backbite's witty remarks.
(b) "A stitch in time saves nine."
(c) "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."
(d) "You can kill two birds with one stone."
2. What was it about Sir Peter that impressed Lady Teazle to the point that she agreed to marry him?
(a) His intelligence.
(b) His money.
(c) His honesty.
(d) His personality.
3. What is Lady Teazle wanting to buy?
(a) A French poodle.
(b) A gold locket.
(d) Expensive new fashions.
4. Whom does David Garrick address?
(a) The theatre crew.
(b) The orchestra.
(c) The audience.
(d) The cast.
5. How do people's reactions to the subject of the play affect the subject itself?
(a) It makes it easier to get rid of.
(b) People have no reactions to this subject.
(c) It does not affect the subject at all.
(d) It makes it impossible to root out.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Uncle Crabtree's nephew?
2. Who arrives on the scene when Sir Oliver and Mr. Moses leave to check on Joseph and Charles Surface?
3. Whose words are used in the prologue to the play?
4. Whom of the following is estranged from Sir Peter?
5. What makes the situation at the end of Act 2, Scene 1 worse on Sir Peter?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 3, Scene 2, what shows that Charles is a spendthrift?
2. Who does "A Portrait" honor and why?
3. How does Sir Oliver respond to Charles's offer in Act 3, Scene 3, and why?
4. How does the discussion between Joseph and "Stanley" regarding any money that Joseph may have available to give to Stanley become elongated?
5. Does Charles' stand-off in refusing to sell Sir Oliver's portrait to "Mr. Premium" , serve to adjust Sir Oliver's opinion about Charles in a positive way?
6. What does Charles instruct Rowley to do after "Mr. Premium" and Mr. Moses leave to help Stanley with his financial troubles?
7. In Act 5, Scene 1, what are the reasons behind Joseph's refusal to see "Stanley" (Sir Oliver) ?
8. According to Joseph, why is he unable to help Stanley?
9. In Act 1, Scene 1, what are Lady Sneerwell and Snake celebrating in relation to their attempts to assassinate the characters of others?
10. What do Joseph and Charles do when Sir Oliver first appears in Act 5, Scene 3?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)