|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Lady Teazle keep an appointment?
(a) Lady Sneerwell.
(b) Sir Oliver.
(c) Frances Crewe.
(d) Mrs. Candour.
2. Rather than listen to others' stories, what does Sir Oliver want to do?
(a) Listen to others' stories.
(b) Hear what Sir Peter says.
(c) Listen to Rowley.
(d) Judge Charles for himself.
3. What do Charles and Joseph Surface have in common relating to Stanley?
(a) They consider him a brother.
(b) They went to boarding school with him.
(c) They have never met him.
(d) They dislike him.
4. How do most people feel about the subject of the play?
(a) They are eager to hear bad reports and gossip about people.
(b) They are indifferent.
(c) They hate feeling responsible for others' pain.
(d) They are hurt by the gossip.
5. What recent success do Lady Sneerwell and Snake discuss at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Their success in assassinating someone's character.
(b) Their relationship.
(c) Sir Oliver Surface's return.
(d) A real estate investment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What genre of writing is The School for Scandal?
2. How long have Sir Peter Teazle and Lady Teazle been married?
3. What does Sir Peter think about Charles?
4. Which of the following is Sir Peter Teazle willing to do?
5. Prior to his marriage to Lady Teazle, what type of woman did Sir Peter try to find to court and marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 4, Scene 3, what are the reasons that Lady Teazle states that have placed her at odds with her husband, Sir Peter?
2. How is Lady Teazle able to escape a charge of infidelity, and possibly divorce from her husband after he discovers that she has been hiding behind a screen in Joseph's room?
3. How does Sir Oliver tease Sir Peter at the end of Act 5, Scene 2, and how does Sir Peter react?
4. In Act 2, Scene 1, what is at the center of the argument that is taking place between Lady Teazle and Sir Peter?
5. What are Sir Peter's opinions of Charles and Joseph?
6. How does Lady Sneerwell play a part in the argument between the Teazles coming to an end?
7. What does Sir Peter tell Joseph about his marriage and decisions in Act 4, Scene 3?
8. How does it become evident that Charles' butler, Trip has an ulterior motive in making the two money lenders wait for Charles?
9. How does the Epilogue demonstrate Lady Teazle's reformation?
10. What is the purpose of a Portrait portion of a play?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)