|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mr. Moses, whom has Charles Surface asked for a loan?
(b) Sir Peter.
(c) Mr. Premium.
(d) Benjamin Backbite.
2. Toward whom does Lady Teazle shift the blame for her own desire to live the best life that money can buy?
(a) Joseph Surface.
(b) Sir Peter Teazle.
(c) Mrs. Candour.
(d) Lady Sneerwell.
3. Who desperately wants to be a suitor to Maria?
(a) Joseph Surface.
(b) Benjamin Backbite.
(c) Peter Teazle.
(d) Uncle Crabtree.
4. How do people's reactions to the subject of the play affect the subject itself?
(a) It makes it easier to get rid of.
(b) People have no reactions to this subject.
(c) It does not affect the subject at all.
(d) It makes it impossible to root out.
5. What does Sir Peter think should make Lady Teazle happy?
(a) Just to get a few things from him.
(b) Nothing should make Lady Teazle happy.
(c) Their marriage.
(d) Her friendship with Lady Sneerwell.
Short Answer Questions
1. In one word, what is the subject of the play?
2. Why is it that Sir Oliver does not trust his nephew Joseph completely?
3. According to the information in the prologue, in which way is the playwright approaching the issue of focus in the play?
4. How does the speaker feel about the subject of the play?
5. How does Lady Sneerwell feel about her talents?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sir Oliver react outwardly and inwardly in relation to Charles' idea to hold a private auction for him to buy the family portraits?
2. What action by Charles is highlighted with respect to Sir Oliver's high regard for his nephew, Charles?
3. In Act 1, Scene 2, how does Sir Peter Teazle's life change for the worse, six months after having married a young woman?
4. What plans do Lady Sneerwell and Snake make in relation to the relationship between Charles and Maria?
5. What happens with regard to Sir Oliver's opinion of Charles when Rowley walks in and reports that Charles has sent "Stanley" (Sir Oliver) 100 pounds to help him with his financial woes?
6. What annoys Maria, ultimately forcing her to leave, in Act 1, Scene 1?
7. How is Mr. Moses, the Jewish money lender portrayed as a "friendly Israelite"?
8. How does a question that Mr. Premium (Sir Oliver) asks during the auction evoke a declaration of reverence, deep respect and loyalty toward Sir Oliver from Charles?
9. What are Charles and his friends doing at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 3?
10. Describe the interaction between Lady Teazle and Joseph in Act 2, Scene 2.
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)