|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rowley want to prevent Sir Peter from learning?
(a) That Maria is engaged to Charles.
(b) That Lady Teazle is having an affair with Joseph.
(c) That Rowley has told Sir Oliver about his marital strife.
(d) That Charles is in love with Lady Teazle.
2. Playwright Sheridan refers to Mr. Moses as which of the following?
(a) The honest Israelite.
(b) The colorful storyteller.
(c) The literary gentleman.
(d) The profound poet.
3. Why does Lazy Teazle question Joseph about Maria?
(a) She is jealous.
(b) She loves Maria.
(c) She is worried about Charles.
(d) She does not question Joseph about Maria.
4. What does the subject turn to early in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) The subject does not change in Act 2, Scene 3.
(b) Sir Peter's estrangement from Charles Surface.
(c) Charles's poverty.
(d) Lady Teazle's affair with Joseph.
5. What were playwrights trying to build through the use of prologues during the historical time period in which the play was written?
(a) Interest in a favorite charitable project of the playwright.
(b) Fame and fortune for themselves.
(c) Sympathy for and interest in the subject matter.
(d) A decent level of trust with the audience.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Sir Peter tell about his problems with Lady Teazle?
2. What does Sir Peter attempt to do when Lady Teazle enters near the end of Act 3, Scene 1?
3. Sir Peter is concerned that Maria is intent on marrying which of the following characters?
4. What is Lady Teazle eager to know?
5. How does Sir Oliver determine the worth of a man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Lady Sneerwell and Snake discussing at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 1?
2. In Act 3, Scene 2, what shows that Charles is a spendthrift?
3. How does Lady Teazle include Sir Peter in her future plans?
4. Why is Sir Peter Teazle miserable in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. What happens with regard to Sir Oliver's opinion of Charles when Rowley walks in and reports that Charles has sent "Stanley" (Sir Oliver) 100 pounds to help him with his financial woes?
6. What do Sir Oliver's feelings about Charles say about Sir Oliver?
7. In Act 5, Scene 2, how far off are Lady Sneerwell and her gossiping cohorts on the details surrounding the "love triangle" confrontation between Joseph and the Teazles?
8. What happens when Sir Peter tries to soften Lady Teazle's heart in Act 3, Scene 1?
9. What is the story that is revealed in relation to Sir Peter's estrangement from Charles Surface?
10. What are Rowley and Sir Oliver talking about in the beginning of Act 2, Scene 3?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)