|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is John Crewe?
(a) Husband of Frances Anne Crewe.
(b) Grandson of Herbert W. Crewe.
(c) Father of Jacob Crewe.
2. Whom of the following is estranged from Sir Peter?
(a) Benjamin Backbite.
(b) His former ward, Robin Hainsworth.
(c) Charles Surface.
(d) His father, Sir Paul Teazle.
3. What does the speak of "A Portrait" say often misleads people?
(d) The truth.
4. Why is the argument ended?
(a) Sir Oliver intrudes.
(b) Joseph arrives.
(c) Because they love each other.
(d) Lady Teazle has an appointment.
5. What does Joseph want Lady Teazle to do?
(a) To teach him to speak French.
(b) To go to his house for a tryst.
(c) To encourage Sir Peter to give him a job.
(d) To adopt his orphaned niece.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which literary character listed below is alluded to in the prologue to the play in relation to its playwright?
2. How do Sir Peter and Sir Oliver greet each other in Act 2, Scene 3?
3. Whom did Sir Oliver used to sit around with and mock marriage?
4. How does the speaker feel about the subject of the play?
5. What were playwrights trying to build through the use of prologues during the historical time period in which the play was written?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens between Maria and Joseph in Act 2, Scene 2?
2. In Act 5, Scene 2, how far off are Lady Sneerwell and her gossiping cohorts on the details surrounding the "love triangle" confrontation between Joseph and the Teazles?
3. What is the purpose of a Prologue?
4. In Act 2, Scene 3, how does it become evident that Rowley has betrayed Sir Peter with regard to news about his marriage to a young shrew?
5. What action by Charles is highlighted with respect to Sir Oliver's high regard for his nephew, Charles?
6. In Act 1, Scene 2, how does Sir Peter Teazle's life change for the worse, six months after having married a young woman?
7. What insight does Sir Peter confide in Rowley about his troubled life with Lady Teazle?
8. In Act 4, Scene 1, how is Charles' impromptu private portrait auction for Sir Oliver (Mr. Premium) set up and conducted?
9. Why does Rowley ask Sir Oliver not to mention marriage to Sir Peter?
10. Why does Lady Teazle tell her husband about her affair with Joseph?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)