|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Sir Peter about the affair between Joseph and Lady Teazle?
(c) Lady Teazle.
2. Who informs Joseph that Sir Oliver has arrived in London?
(a) Sir Peter.
(d) Sir Oliver.
3. Why are Mrs. Candour, Lady Sneerwell, Backbite, and Crabtree surprised to see Sir Peter walk into his home?
(a) They thought that he was supposed to be in China
(b) They thought that he had broken his leg.
(c) They thought that he and Lady Teazle were in Wales.
(d) They thought he had been wounded, and at death's door.
4. What does Sir Peter project to Joseph will be the cause of his loss of Lady Teazle?
(a) His lack of intelligence.
(b) His weight.
(c) His age.
(d) His dwindling fortune.
5. How does Sir Oliver respond to Charles's offer?
(a) He reveals his true identity.
(b) He refuses.
(c) He agrees.
(d) He yells at Charles.
6. How does Sir Oliver feel about Charles refusing to sell a particular portrait?
7. What does Stanley claim that he has been forced to do?
(a) Move out of his house.
(b) Visit his Aunt Shirley.
(c) Leave town.
(d) Ask Joseph for money.
8. What is Sir Oliver able to find in Charles?
(a) The good in him.
(b) A sense of humor.
(c) A confidante.
(d) A great assistant.
9. What do the Surface brothers, Joseph and Charles disagree about in Act 5, Scene 3?
(a) Who should receive Sir Oliver's inheritance.
(b) Whom Maria really loves.
(c) Whether Rowley is really trustworthy.
(d) Sir Oliver's real name.
10. How much does Sir Oliver offer to pay for the portrait that he is interested in buying?
(a) Over one thousand pounds.
(b) Over six hundred pounds.
(c) Over two thousand pounds.
(d) Over four hundred pounds.
11. Who is the antagonist of The School for Scandal?
(a) Sir Oliver Surface.
(b) Charles Surface.
(d) Joseph Surface.
12. Where does Lady Teazle hide in Act 4, Scene 3 when Sir Peter arrives?
(a) Sir Peter does not arrive.
(b) She does not hide.
(c) Behind a screen.
(d) In the closet.
13. Who is Sir Peter aiming to eavesdrop on?
(a) Charles Surface.
(c) Joseph Surface.
14. What is the occupation of Sir Oliver's companion at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 2?
15. What does Rowley report to Sir Oliver and Mr. Moses?
(a) That Maria and Charles are engaged.
(b) That Lady Sneerwell has been attacked.
(c) That Charles has given one hundred pounds to Stanley.
(d) That Trip is moving to Scotland.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Moses point out in Act 4, Scene 2?
2. What are the men doing at the table when Mr. Moses and Sir Oliver enter at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 3?
3. What portrait does Sir Oliver offer to buy?
4. Who buys the portrait that Sir Oliver is interested in buying?
5. Who does Sir Oliver name as his heir?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)