|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joseph do as Sir Peter and Rowley enter the room in Act 5, Scene 1?
(a) Curses at them.
(b) Walks out.
(c) Beats them.
2. As Act 3, Scene 2 opens, where do Sir Oliver and Mr. Moses arrive?
(a) At the home of Charles Surface.
(b) At the home of Sir Peter.
(c) At the home of Benjamin Backbite.
(d) At the home of Lady Sneerwell.
3. What do Charles and Joseph agree upon in Act 5, Scene 3?
(a) They hate Sir Oliver.
(b) They want to have an affair with Lady Teazle.
(c) They are in love with Maria.
(d) They don't want the disguised Sir Oliver to be there when their uncle arrives.
4. Where are Mrs. Candour, Lady Sneerwell, Backbite, and Crabtree gathered at the beginning of Act 5, Scene 2?
(a) Lady Sneerwell's house.
(b) Sir Peter's house.
(c) In the country.
(d) Joseph's house.
5. How does Charles feel when he and Sir Peter enact Sir Peter's scheme?
6. How does Charles handle his business dealings?
(a) Graciously and honestly.
(b) Rudely and dishonestly.
(c) Graciously but dishonestly.
(d) Impudently but honestly.
7. Who enters in the middle of Act 4, Scene 2?
(c) Sir Peter.
8. In Act 5, Scene 1, what does Joseph say about Sir Oliver?
(a) He is a greedy miser.
(b) He is a generous uncle.
(c) He does not know Sir Oliver.
(d) He is a kind benefactor.
9. What do the Surface brothers, Joseph and Charles disagree about in Act 5, Scene 3?
(a) Sir Oliver's real name.
(b) Whether Rowley is really trustworthy.
(c) Whom Maria really loves.
(d) Who should receive Sir Oliver's inheritance.
10. What method of sale does Charles Surface intend to use to sell his goods?
(a) Silent auction.
(b) Sham auction.
(c) Private auction.
(d) Public auction.
11. Which portrait does Charles refuse to sell?
(a) The portrait of Charles.
(b) The portrait of Sir Oliver.
(c) The portrait of Charles's father.
(d) The portrait of Joseph.
12. What does Sir Oliver show himself to be good at doing?
(a) Judging character.
(b) Keeping a secret.
(c) Playing bridge.
(d) Fixing a hearty breakfast.
13. Who commands Sir Peter to come out of the closet?
(a) Charles Surface.
(b) Joseph Surface.
(c) Lady Teazle.
14. How does Sir Oliver respond to Charles's offer?
(a) He reveals his true identity.
(b) He refuses.
(c) He agrees.
(d) He yells at Charles.
15. How does Sir Oliver see Charles to be beneath the surface during and after the portrait auction?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who accompanies Snake to Joseph's house?
2. Why does Lady Teazle wish Sir Peter would allow Maria to marry Charles?
3. How does Sir Oliver feel about Charles's decision about what to do with the 100 pounds from his check?
4. Why does Sir Peter decide to hide in Act 4, Scene 3?
5. What is the occupation of Sir Oliver's alias at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 2?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)