|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sir Oliver decide to do in Act 4, Scene 2?
(a) Have an affair with Lady Teazle.
(b) Disinherit Charles.
(c) Marry Maria.
(d) Pay off Charles's debts himself.
2. What is Charles suspicious of in Act 4, Scene 3?
(a) That Sir Peter is hiding in the closet.
(b) Lady Teazle's attentions to Joseph.
(c) He is not suspicious.
(d) That Lady Teazle is behind the screen.
3. Which portrait does Charles refuse to sell?
(a) The portrait of Charles's father.
(b) The portrait of Sir Oliver.
(c) The portrait of Joseph.
(d) The portrait of Charles.
4. What is the one item that Charles is not willing to sell at any cost?
(a) His father's portrait.
(b) His mother's portrait.
(c) His own portrait.
(d) Sir Oliver's portrait.
5. How does Sir Oliver respond to Charles's offer?
(a) He yells at Charles.
(b) He refuses.
(c) He agrees.
(d) He reveals his true identity.
6. Who admits to having been paid by Sir Oliver to forge some letters?
(c) Mr. Moses.
7. Who is Trip?
(a) Trip is Maria's cousin.
(b) Trip is the schoolmaster.
(c) Trip is Charles Surface's butler.
(d) Trip is the local baker.
8. What name, other than his own is used to announce the arrival of Sir Oliver?
(a) Mr. Waters.
(b) Stanley Surface.
(c) Mr. Premium.
(d) Woodrow Phelps.
9. Sir Oliver feels that Charles could have placated his creditors by doing which of the following?
(a) Making payment arrangements.
(b) Paying them with the money that he gave to Stanley.
(c) Borrowing money from Maria.
(d) Writing them an "Intent to Pay" letter.
10. What type of objects does Charles Surface have available to sell?
(a) Fine gold jewelry.
(b) Family heirlooms.
(c) Fruits and vegetables.
(d) Family portraits.
11. How much does Sir Oliver offer to pay for the portrait that he is interested in buying?
(a) Over two thousand pounds.
(b) Over four hundred pounds.
(c) Over one thousand pounds.
(d) Over six hundred pounds.
12. Whose accomplishments does Charles list in Act 4, Scene 1?
(a) His illustrious forebears'.
(d) Sir Oliver's.
13. Why does Lady Teazle wish Sir Peter would allow Maria to marry Charles?
(a) Because it would make Charles happy.
(b) Because it would make Maria happy.
(c) So Sir Peter will stop complaining about it.
(d) So she does not have to worry about Joseph's interest in Maria.
14. What are the men doing at the table when Mr. Moses and Sir Oliver enter at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 3?
(b) Flirting with women.
(c) Playing cards.
15. Who has really impressed Sir Oliver during the portrait auction?
(b) Sir Peter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men in Act 3, Scene 3 sing?
2. Who does Sir Oliver name as his heir?
3. What is Sir Oliver able to find in Charles?
4. Who is Sir Peter aiming to eavesdrop on?
5. How does Sir Oliver see Charles to be beneath the surface during and after the portrait auction?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)