|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Sir Peter mistaken for by Mrs. Candour, Lady Sneerwell, Backbite, and Crabtree as he walks into his house?
(a) Sir Peter's brother, Henry.
(b) A physician.
(c) Lady Teazle's brother, Phillip.
(d) A messenger.
2. What method of sale does Charles Surface intend to use to sell his goods?
(a) Silent auction.
(b) Private auction.
(c) Public auction.
(d) Sham auction.
3. What is the one item that Charles is not willing to sell at any cost?
(a) Sir Oliver's portrait.
(b) His own portrait.
(c) His mother's portrait.
(d) His father's portrait.
4. Why does Charles refuse to agree to Sir Oliver's offer on a portrait?
(a) Because he is too proud.
(b) Because he is stubborn.
(c) Because Sir Oliver might be offended.
(d) Because Sir Oliver was very good to him.
5. What is Charles suspicious of in Act 4, Scene 3?
(a) That Lady Teazle is behind the screen.
(b) Lady Teazle's attentions to Joseph.
(c) That Sir Peter is hiding in the closet.
(d) He is not suspicious.
6. What does Mr. Moses refuse to do with respect to Trip?
(a) Lend him some money.
(b) Allow him to borrow his carriage.
(c) Let him borrow his jacket.
(d) Allow him into his home.
7. Who is happy to see Sir Oliver in Act 5, Scene 3?
(d) Lady Teazle.
8. What does Trip offer Mr. Moses?
(a) Directions to Lady Sneerwell's house.
(b) Some of his clothes.
(c) A plump, juicy steak with all the trimmings.
(d) Some of Charles Surface's clothes.
9. What do Charles and Joseph agree upon in Act 5, Scene 3?
(a) They don't want the disguised Sir Oliver to be there when their uncle arrives.
(b) They are in love with Maria.
(c) They hate Sir Oliver.
(d) They want to have an affair with Lady Teazle.
10. What does Charles Surface give Trip?
(a) Some good advice.
(b) Plenty of money.
(c) His own carriage.
(d) His mother's portrait.
11. What does Sir Oliver show himself to be good at doing?
(a) Fixing a hearty breakfast.
(b) Keeping a secret.
(c) Playing bridge.
(d) Judging character.
12. What does Sir Peter do when he spots Mrs. Candour, Lady Sneerwell, Backbite, and Crabtree at his house?
(a) He excuses himself, and heads for bed.
(b) He joins them in preparing food baskets for the poor.
(c) He apologizes for not having been home when they arrived.
(d) He orders them to leave.
13. What are Charles' creditors willing to wait to do?
(a) Seize Charles' carriage and sell it to pay off his debt.
(b) Seize Charles' house and sell it to pay off his debt.
(c) Speak with him.
(d) Have him arrested and taken to debtor's prison.
14. In which direction within the room does Sir Peter head when Joseph is called out of the room?
(a) Toward the fireplace.
(b) Under the bed.
(c) Toward the screen behind which Lady Teazle is hiding.
(d) Into the closet.
15. Who interrupts Joseph and Lady Teazle's rendezvous?
(a) Sir Oliver.
(d) Sir Peter.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Charles handle his business dealings?
2. What is Charles's purpose for holding an auction?
3. Who admits to having been paid by Sir Oliver to forge some letters?
4. Whose credit is no good in Act 3, Scene 2?
5. Who reveals Sir Oliver's true identity to Charles and Joseph?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)