|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much does Charles offer to sell the remainder of his family portraits for?
(a) 400 pounds.
(b) 400 dollars.
(c) 300 schillings.
(d) 300 pounds.
2. What does Mr. Moses point out in Act 4, Scene 2?
(a) That the stories about Charles are true.
(b) That the stories about Joseph are true.
(c) That Charles is a good person.
(d) That Sir Oliver is stupid for agreeing to purchase the family portraits in an auction.
3. What does Lady Teazle want Sir Peter to do as Act 4, Scene 3 comes to an end?
(a) Forgive her for her actions, and take her back.
(b) Join her for a gossiping session at Lady Sneerwell's.
(c) Take her to a French millinery to buy herself a new hat.
(d) Apologize to Joseph for barging in on him.
4. Who is Sir Oliver pretending to be at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 2?
(b) Mr. Moses.
(c) Mr. Premium.
(d) Sir Peter.
5. As Act 3, Scene 3 begins, who is sitting at the table with Charles Surface?
(b) His friend, Careless.
(c) His friend, Benjamin Backbite.
(d) His brother, Joseph Surface.
6. Whose credit is no good in Act 3, Scene 2?
(b) Sir Oliver's.
(c) Mr. Moses's.
7. What does Sir Oliver realize Charles could do with 100 pounds?
(a) Give it to Stanley.
(b) Donate it to a charity.
(c) Placate his creditors.
(d) Buy a gift for Maria.
8. What does Trip offer Mr. Moses?
(a) Some of his clothes.
(b) Directions to Lady Sneerwell's house.
(c) Some of Charles Surface's clothes.
(d) A plump, juicy steak with all the trimmings.
9. Who is Sir Peter aiming to eavesdrop on?
(a) Joseph Surface.
(b) Charles Surface.
10. Who arrives after the portrait auction has ended, and runs a couple of errands for Charles shortly thereafter?
11. Who buys some of Charles Surface's goods right away before anyone else even has an opportunity to look at them?
(a) Sir Oliver.
(b) Mrs. Candour.
12. What does Sir Peter suggest to embarrass Joseph?
(a) Pull the screen aside to determine who is behind it.
(b) Tell Sir Oliver about Joseph's affair with Lady Teazle.
(c) Reveal his feelings about Maria to Charles.
(d) Sir Peter would never want to embarass Joseph.
13. How does Sir Oliver feel about Charles's offer?
14. How does Sir Oliver see Charles to be beneath the surface during and after the portrait auction?
15. Joseph tells Sir Peter that the woman who is standing behind the screen is which of the following?
(a) Not a real person; just a petticoat on a mannequin.
(b) Angela Foster, a seamstress whom he has been seeing.
(c) Miss Clackitt.
(d) A French milliner whom he has been seeing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who explains that Joseph had designs on Lady Teazle?
2. Who arrives at Joseph's house at the beginning of Act 5, Scene 1?
3. What is the setting of Act 3, Scene 2?
4. Who informs Joseph that Sir Oliver has arrived in London?
5. Who is Trip?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)