|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lady Teazle considers Maria to be which of the following types at the gossipers' gathering?
(a) Competition for the attention of Joseph Surface.
(b) A businesswoman.
(c) A best friend.
(d) A critic of those at the gossipers' gathering.
2. Playwright Sheridan refers to Mr. Moses as which of the following?
(a) The honest Israelite.
(b) The literary gentleman.
(c) The colorful storyteller.
(d) The profound poet.
3. What is the dedication often used to do?
(a) Honor some person.
(b) Judge someone.
(c) Make a political statement.
(d) Honor the author.
4. According to Sir Oliver, who would be the best person to judge his nephew, Charles Surface's character?
(a) His schoolmaster.
(b) Sir Oliver himself.
(c) His clergyman.
5. What is the benefit of looking beneath the surface, according to the speaker of "A Portrait"?
(a) One may find gold.
(b) One can find the true worth of people.
(c) One should never look beneath the surface.
(d) One may find their watch.
6. How does the speaker feel about the subject of the play?
(a) It makes him sad.
(b) There is no need to bring more of it into the world.
(c) It is a good way to spend time.
(d) He does not care about this subject.
7. Who is Uncle Crabtree's nephew?
(a) Joseph Surface.
(b) Benjamin Backbite.
(c) Peter Teazle.
8. What do Charles and Joseph Surface have in common relating to Stanley?
(a) They went to boarding school with him.
(b) They consider him a brother.
(c) They dislike him.
(d) They have never met him.
9. Who enters the gossipers' gathering at Lady Sneerwell's with Lady Teazle?
(b) Mrs. Candour.
(c) Sir Peter Teazle.
10. What is Lady Teazle eager to know?
(a) Whether Sir Peter is having an affair with Mrs. Candour.
(b) Why Joseph was earnestly entreating Maria to listen to him.
(c) What date her archrival, Mrs. Candour, is moving to Liverpool.
(d) How much her husband's net worth really is.
11. What does Sir Oliver believe happens when a young person makes mistakes in life?
(a) He believes that young people who make mistakes are unjustly punished.
(b) He believes that they influence their younger siblings to do the same.
(c) He believes that their mistakes can be mended.
(d) He believes that they are shunned from society.
12. Who desperately wants to be a suitor to Maria?
(a) Peter Teazle.
(b) Benjamin Backbite.
(c) Joseph Surface.
(d) Uncle Crabtree.
13. How do Sir Peter and Sir Oliver greet each other in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) They do not greet one another.
14. When Sir Peter leaves the gossipers' gathering at the home of Lady Sneerwell, what does he claim to have left behind?
(a) His amusement.
(b) His spectacles.
(c) His character.
(d) His pocket watch.
15. Who is Richard Brinsley Sheridan?
(a) British War Hero in war between Britain and France.
(b) Stage Director at the Globe Theatre in Stratford.
(c) Fine Arts Critic for the London Times.
(d) Playwright of "The School for Scandal and Other Plays".
Short Answer Questions
1. Prior to his marriage to Lady Teazle, what type of woman did Sir Peter try to find to court and marry?
2. In Act 1, Scene 2, who claims that Charles is an upright young man?
3. Which of the following do the gossipers at the gathering NOT assassinate with respect to their gossip targets?
4. What is Sir Peter shocked and appalled to witness when he arrives at the gathering?
5. Who speaks in "A Portrait"?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)