|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sir Oliver believe happens when a young person makes mistakes in life?
(a) He believes that young people who make mistakes are unjustly punished.
(b) He believes that their mistakes can be mended.
(c) He believes that they influence their younger siblings to do the same.
(d) He believes that they are shunned from society.
2. What qualifies the individual to be honored in the portrait portion of the play?
(a) The playwright is infatuated with the honored individual.
(b) The honored individual has devoted over one hundred hours of volunteer time to the theatre.
(c) The honored individual is the inspiration for the play's storyline.
(d) The honored individual is a member of the British Royal Family.
3. Once the party in Act 1, Scene 1 is assembled, who do they begin gossiping about?
(a) Sir Peter.
(d) Sir Oliver.
4. Whose words are used in the prologue to the play?
(a) Margaret Nickleby.
(b) Caroline Clavell.
(c) David Garrick.
(d) Samuel Trent.
5. Playwright Sheridan refers to Mr. Moses as which of the following?
(a) The honest Israelite.
(b) The profound poet.
(c) The colorful storyteller.
(d) The literary gentleman.
6. What is Lady Teazle's reason for her greed?
(a) She claims that she is not greedy.
(b) She has no reason.
(c) She wants to live the best life possible.
(d) Sir Peter wants her to be greedy.
7. What is Lady Teazle eager to know?
(a) How much her husband's net worth really is.
(b) Why Joseph was earnestly entreating Maria to listen to him.
(c) What date her archrival, Mrs. Candour, is moving to Liverpool.
(d) Whether Sir Peter is having an affair with Mrs. Candour.
8. Lady Sneerwell would like to be courted by whom of the following?
(a) Joseph Surface.
(b) Charles Surface.
(c) Peter Teazle.
(d) Uncle Crabtree.
9. While a gossipers' gathering is underway at the home of Lady Sneerwell, Maria and which of the following would-be suitors slip away for a private conversation?
(a) Benjamin Backbite.
(c) Charles Surface.
(d) Joseph Surface.
10. Why does Lazy Teazle question Joseph about Maria?
(a) She does not question Joseph about Maria.
(b) She is worried about Charles.
(c) She loves Maria.
(d) She is jealous.
11. Who is Richard Brinsley Sheridan?
(a) Playwright of "The School for Scandal and Other Plays".
(b) Stage Director at the Globe Theatre in Stratford.
(c) Fine Arts Critic for the London Times.
(d) British War Hero in war between Britain and France.
12. Whose arrival is announced to Sir Peter?
(a) Lady Candour's.
(b) Sir Oliver's.
(c) David Garrick's.
(d) John Crewe's.
13. To whom does Sir Peter attribute much of Lady Teazle's shrewish behavior?
(a) Lady Sneerwell.
14. The portrait portion of the play is synonymous with which of the following?
(a) A dedication.
(b) A biography.
(c) A memoir.
(d) A photo.
15. Which of the following is a widely known fact that cannot be covered up?
(a) That Lady Sneerwell and her companions are lying, backstabbing cretins.
(b) That Benjamin Backbite has a crush on Lady Teazle.
(c) That Sir Peter Teazle and Frances Anne Crewe are having an affair.
(d) That Maria is in love with Crabtree.
Short Answer Questions
1. Prior to his marriage to Lady Teazle, what type of woman did Sir Peter try to find to court and marry?
2. Who is John Crewe?
3. What does Lady Teazle believe that she deserves?
4. What does Sir Peter attempt to do when Lady Teazle enters near the end of Act 3, Scene 1?
5. What does Maria do when she sees Lady Teazle heading toward her?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)