|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sir Peter is concerned that Maria is intent on marrying which of the following characters?
(a) Charles Surface.
(c) Benjamin Backbite.
(d) Joseph Surface.
2. Who speaks in the Prologue?
(b) Sir Oliver Surface.
(c) Joseph Surface.
(d) David Garrick.
3. Why does Maria leave at the end of Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) She has an appointment.
(b) She does not feel well.
(c) She cannot take hearing people discuss her love in such unflattering terms.
(d) She does not leave.
4. Which couple does Rowley believe to have the capability of entering into a compatible marriage?
(a) John Crewe and Lady Sneerwell.
(b) David Garrick and Maria.
(c) Charles Surface and Maria.
(d) Benjamin Backbite and Lady Sneerwell.
5. What is the purpose of a Prologue?
(a) To provide background information about the characters.
(b) To build sympathy for the subject matter and increase interest in the play.
(c) To honor some person.
(d) To provide a biography about the author.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Lady Teazle blame for her greed?
2. Which of the following best describes Rowley's opinion of Charles Surface?
3. Who arrives to hear Sir Peter's troubles with Lady Teazle in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. What is Lady Teazle's reason for her greed?
5. How does Lady Sneerwell feel about her talents?
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)