|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Joseph pretend be a kind friend who does not enjoy the others' gossiping and sniping?
(a) He does not pretend to be a kind friend.
(b) To cause Maria to warm to him.
(c) Because he does not enjoy the other's gossiping.
(d) To propose to Maria.
2. To whom does Sir Peter attribute Lady Teazle's shrewish behavior?
(c) Benjamin Backbite.
(d) Lady Sneerwell.
3. Which of the lady's abilities does the gentleman praise?
(a) Her beauty.
(b) Her subtle abilities of bringing people down.
(c) Her ability to speak many different languages.
(d) Her artistic abilities.
4. What is it that everyone is always eager to hear as mentioned in the prologue of the play?
(a) The sound of money jingling in a pocket.
(b) Good news about people.
(c) Secular music.
(d) Bad reports and gossip about people.
5. Why is Sheridan attacking this subject with his pen?
(a) To bring it under control.
(b) To spread the message.
(c) He does not attack this subject with his pen.
(d) To gain fame.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sheridan attacking, according to the Prologue?
2. What is the benefit of looking beneath the surface, according to the speaker of "A Portrait"?
3. What does Lady Teazle believe that she deserves?
4. What does the speaker of "A Portrait" advise against?
5. Which two cohorts are lauding themselves on account of their apparent success as character assassins as Act I opens?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)