|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What recent success do Lady Sneerwell and Snake discuss at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) A real estate investment.
(b) Their relationship.
(c) Their success in assassinating someone's character.
(d) Sir Oliver Surface's return.
2. Which two cohorts are lauding themselves on account of their apparent success as character assassins as Act I opens?
(a) Lady Sneerwell and Crabtree.
(b) Lady Sneerwell and Snake.
(c) Snake and Benjamin Backbite.
(d) Maria and Crabtree.
3. Why does the speaker in the Prologue say that Sheridan is acting foolishly?
(a) His wife will be angry.
(b) He will be arrested.
(c) He will hurt many people.
(d) He is attacking a problem that is impossible to bring down.
4. How does Lady Sneerwell feel about her talents?
5. Who follows Maria when she exits at the end of Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Mrs. Candour.
(b) Lady Sneerwell.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which couple does Rowley believe to have the capability of entering into a compatible marriage?
2. Who desperately wants to be a suitor to Maria?
3. Whom is the playwright honoring via the portrait portion of the play?
4. Who does the speaker of "A Portrait" address?
5. The portrait portion of the play is synonymous with which of the following?
This section contains 242 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)