|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rain's real name?
2. What is the number of the school bus that Cap and Hugh are riding in Chapter 11?
3. How many families were at Garland Farm in the 1960s?
4. What does Mrs. Donnelly think that Rain would have made because of the way she taught the children at Garland Farm?
5. What helps Cap understand regular school in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sophie say that Cap might be her good-luck charm in Chapter 13?
2. What is helping Cap understand regular school in Chapter 12?
3. What is Mrs. Donnelly's experience with Garland Farm?
4. How does Zach describe himself?
5. Why does Mrs. Donnelly decide to have Cap stay at her house?
6. How does Naomi describe Lena?
7. What is Cap's first experience with a police officer?
8. Why did Cap ask about bullfighting as a sport at the middle school, and why did he stop asking about it?
9. What does Holly van Arden mention for food for the Halloween dance?
10. How does Sophie's date go with Josh?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cap is the protagonist in the novel. Who is the antagonist and what effects does the antagonist have on Cap and on Cap’s view of the world outside Garland?
Essay Topic 2
The novel is written from several different points of view. How does the author’s decision to write from several different points of view affect the pace and plot of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Cap goes from class clown to being very popular. Why does Cap’s image change as he attends middle school, and how does this change affect Cap and the other students and their relationships with one another?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)