|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Donnelly think that Rain would have made because of the way she taught the children at Garland Farm?
2. Who does the teacher who breaks up a fight compare Cap to in Chapter 4?
3. How old is Capricorn when he first sees a police officer up close?
4. What type of martial arts did Sophie's father used to do?
5. How old is Sophie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Hugh having a great school year in Chapter 11?
2. How does Hugh describe Cap?
3. How is Cap being educated and why?
4. How does Cap describe lockers to his grandmother?
5. What happens in Chapter 11 when the school bus driver has a heart attack?
6. What does Cap tell his grandmother about middle school?
7. What is Garland Farm?
8. What does Sophie say about eighth grade class president?
9. Why does Mrs. Donnelly decide to have Cap stay at her house?
10. Who was eighth grade class president last year and how did that work out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cap is the protagonist in the novel. Who is the antagonist and what effects does the antagonist have on Cap and on Cap’s view of the world outside Garland?
Essay Topic 2
Cap experiences conflicts as he attends middle school and lives with the Donnelly’s. What are some of the conflicts that Cap deals with, and what do these conflicts reveal about Cap and the type of person that he is?
Essay Topic 3
Cap finds the world outside of Garland confusing. Why is the outside world like a foreign country to Cap, and how do the differences affect him and his outlook on life?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)