|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what does the first boy call the second boy?
2. What month is it at the beginning of Chapter 3?
3. What helps Cap understand regular school in Chapter 12?
4. In Chapter 14, how many times does Cap say that he has had his hair cut?
5. Where does Zach hide the letter he takes from the middle school sign?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cap feel when he witnesses his fight in Chapter 4?
2. What does Holly van Arden mention for food for the Halloween dance?
3. What does Rain tell Cap to do when he says that he is scared?
4. Why does Sophie say that Cap might be her good-luck charm in Chapter 13?
5. How does Naomi describe Lena?
6. How does Cap describe lockers to his grandmother?
7. What does Rain say about Cap driving the school bus?
8. What is Mrs. Donnelly's experience with Garland Farm?
9. Why does Cap wish that he could talk with Rain more often?
10. Why is Hugh having a great school year in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel is written from several different points of view. How does the author’s decision to write from several different points of view affect the pace and plot of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Cap is the protagonist in the novel. Who is the antagonist and what effects does the antagonist have on Cap and on Cap’s view of the world outside Garland?
Essay Topic 3
Hugh has not enjoyed his school years. Why has Hugh had a miserable time at school, why do his experiences change, and how does he feel when school becomes a more pleasant place for him?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)