|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Landau's closest friend?
2. What is the new caste's specialty?
3. How do the gasbags communicate?
4. What is the signal?
5. For what is the Froth famous?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nikolai do in order to upset the Mechanist?
2. What is Dr. Afriel's mission?
3. What has Landau been waiting for, and why did he have to wait?
4. What makes it clear that the Investors hadn't intended to trade their pet?
5. What does the book refer to in Chapter Nine regarding the strain on humanity?
6. What had Pongpianskul attempted to do, and failed?
7. What does the Presence reveal itself to be and what does it want with its existence?
8. Why is the name "Fuzzy" a private joke?
9. Why does Nikolai retire and commit suicide?
10. What is so special about the discreets?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the form of currency in the Schismatrix. Why is this form of currency efficient? How is it a trading currency? What are some of the logical issues behind a currency based on energy? Would it be easy to gain a stranglehold on such a market? How or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Dr. Afriel's desire to exploit the Swarm for the benefit of his faction. Is this behavior any different from what people try to do in general? How or why not? Cite examples from human history to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Nora's commitment to the Mavride clan. How is this commitment different than anyone on Earth's commitment to their family? How is it similar? What are some of the drawbacks to this level of commitment?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)