|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is lying atop the gems?
2. How fast are the surface winds?
3. Who or what do Nikolai and his friend Alex mimic?
4. What is the name of the Investor pet?
5. To whom is T-K crucial?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Queen's departure the death knell for CK?
2. How is the killing of the people originally justified?
3. What does the Presence reveal itself to be and what does it want with its existence?
4. Why is the name "Fuzzy" a private joke?
5. What makes it clear that the Investors hadn't intended to trade their pet?
6. What does Nikolai do in order to upset the Mechanist?
7. What has happened to Lindsay?
8. Why do the Cicadas need to bathe but Lindsay does not?
9. What does the book refer to in Chapter Nine regarding the strain on humanity?
10. What had Pongpianskul attempted to do, and failed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In essay form, discuss the following excerpt: "He wept quietly, holding nothing back. He mourned mankind, and the blindness of men, who thought that the Kosmos had rules and limits that would shelter them from their own freedom. There were no shelters. There were no final purposes. Futility and freedom, were Absolute." What does this quote mean to you?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Lindsay's initial lack of desire for going in for treatment for aging. What is he afraid to lose? Do these fears have merit? Why or why not? What could Lindsay stand to gain?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Dr. Afriel's desire to exploit the Swarm for the benefit of his faction. Is this behavior any different from what people try to do in general? How or why not? Cite examples from human history to support your argument.
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)