|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose voice does Dr. Afriel hear?
2. How many eyes does Rose have?
3. What is Pongpianskul trying to do?
4. What is lying atop the gems?
5. What do the people eradicate from Lindsay's memory?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is winter the season for pruning the sunken gardens?
2. What does the Presence reveal itself to be and what does it want with its existence?
3. What does Dr. Mirny tell Dr. Afriel about the Swarm and what he can hope to gain from them?
4. Why is the Queen's departure the death knell for CK?
5. What does Nikolai do in order to upset the Mechanist?
6. What has happened to Lindsay?
7. What interesting information does Lindsay find out about Wellspring?
8. How is the killing of the people originally justified?
9. How does Nikolai come to find the central question of the universe? What is the central question?
10. How has Spider Rose's pet helped her overcome issues?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Constantine and Lindsay's relationship. What is the catalyst that threw the two friends apart? For what reason does this relationship continue to stay soured? Utilizing quotes from the book, draw a detailed character analysis of the two as friends and as enemies.
Essay Topic 2
The social hierarchy of the Investors is interesting to examine, especially considering their lack of emotions. Describe and explain their social hierarchy and how the Investor society is established, and compare it to human society. What major differences, aside from the ability of interstellar travel, do both species possess?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Dr. Afriel's desire to exploit the Swarm for the benefit of his faction. Is this behavior any different from what people try to do in general? How or why not? Cite examples from human history to support your argument.
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)