|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Nikolai love as a child?
2. As what is Afriel supposed to address the doctor when he has been brought to her?
3. Who has made no attempt to contact the local primitives?
4. What is considered Paradise?
5. What has Alexandrina been feeding Lindsay?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the killing of the people originally justified?
2. How does Mirasol view the orbiting city? Why does she feel this way?
3. Why is winter the season for pruning the sunken gardens?
4. For what reason does the Mechanist woman propose marriage?
5. Who had been the previous occupant of the ship and what had happened to it?
6. Why is the Queen's departure the death knell for CK?
7. What is Lindsay convinced about, regardless of what Vera says, in terms of the rat?
8. What has happened to Lindsay?
9. Why does Nikolai retire and commit suicide?
10. What does Dr. Afriel say about humanity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss a universe in which humanity all have long lasting life spans. What would be some of the benefits to such a world? What would be some of the drawbacks? Extrapolating on what is known about humanity now, discuss how longevity might not be a boon to any planet or solar system on which humans reside.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the political system of the Schismatrix. How is this system in a state of constant flux? What does an individual have to do in order to maintain control? Who or what controls the system throughout most of the book? How is this evident?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Lindsay's initial lack of desire for going in for treatment for aging. What is he afraid to lose? Do these fears have merit? Why or why not? What could Lindsay stand to gain?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)