|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the signal?
2. What is Pongpianskul trying to do?
3. What is lying atop the gems?
4. Who is always around to pick up the pieces?
5. To whom is T-K crucial?
Short Essay Questions
1. What interesting information does Lindsay find out about Wellspring?
2. What makes it clear that the Investors hadn't intended to trade their pet?
3. What does Dr. Mirny tell Dr. Afriel about the Swarm and what he can hope to gain from them?
4. What has Landau been waiting for, and why did he have to wait?
5. How does Nikolai come to find the central question of the universe? What is the central question?
6. How is Wellspring dressed and why?
7. What has happened to Lindsay?
8. What does the Presence reveal itself to be and what does it want with its existence?
9. What does the book refer to in Chapter Nine regarding the strain on humanity?
10. How does Mirasol view the orbiting city? Why does she feel this way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Nora's commitment to the Mavride clan. How is this commitment different than anyone on Earth's commitment to their family? How is it similar? What are some of the drawbacks to this level of commitment?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the political system on Dembowska. How is it easily misinterpreted by outsiders? Are they totally wrong in their assumptions? Why or why not? Explain whether or not this political system has an advantage over political systems on Earth.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Investors and the unity that formed against them. How is this unity rallied and agreed upon? What is the catalyst, and how is this evident to the reader? What would be required for the Investors to become the primary political force? Would this occur? Why or why not?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)