|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what is the Froth famous?
2. What won't come to Lindsay?
3. With what are the dogs barraged?
4. Why do Lindsay and Vera's hearts leap?
5. What does the pet become?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mirasol view the orbiting city? Why does she feel this way?
2. What does the book refer to in Chapter Nine regarding the strain on humanity?
3. Why isn't intelligence a survival trait?
4. What is so special about the discreets?
5. How is Wellspring dressed and why?
6. Why is winter the season for pruning the sunken gardens?
7. What does the Presence reveal itself to be and what does it want with its existence?
8. Why is the Queen's departure the death knell for CK?
9. What is Dr. Afriel's mission?
10. How has Spider Rose's pet helped her overcome issues?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the political system of the Schismatrix. How is this system in a state of constant flux? What does an individual have to do in order to maintain control? Who or what controls the system throughout most of the book? How is this evident?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Dr. Afriel's desire to exploit the Swarm for the benefit of his faction. Is this behavior any different from what people try to do in general? How or why not? Cite examples from human history to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Lindsay changes his identity numerous times. What are some of the similarities in each of his characters? What are some of the main differences? How do these characters impact his personality? Explain your answer thoroughly.
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)