|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Scarlett bored by in Chapter 50?
2. What information about Maureen horrifies Scarlett in Chapter 40?
3. What does Scarlett decide to do in Chapter 46?
4. What does Colum speak to groups about?
5. Who is Scarlett denied an audience with in Chapter 33?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scarlett's grandfather offer her in Chapter 42, and under what conditions?
2. Why does the bank's president make a fuss over Scarlett in Chapter 38? What does Scarlett suspect about her grandfather after her bank visit?
3. Why does Maureen laugh about Scarlett's grandfather ruining his birthday dinner?
4. What does Colum advise Scarlett to do about her relationship with Rhett in Chapter 44?
5. What makes Scarlett tear up in Chapter 35?
6. What does Scarlett give to Colum when they arrive in Ireland?
7. What causes Scarlett to faint in Chapter 55? How does Colum explain Scarlett's fainting to a young cousin?
8. In Chapter 65, what plans does Scarlett make for the future?
9. Why does Colum jump from the carriage in Chapter 49?
10. Who does Mrs. Fitzpatrick send for when Scarlett's labor becomes difficult? Who delivers Scarlett's baby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Scarlett's business mind. What are the businesses that Scarlett is involved with? How does she use her business sense to help others? Would it have been normal for a woman, particularly of her status, to be in business?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the O'Haras involvement with the Fenian Brotherhood. What is the Fenian Brotherhood? To what extent is Colum involved with this organization? How does his involvement affect Scarlett?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Scarlett's growth as a character. How does she grow throughout the novel? How was she able to do this? How does it change her relationship with Rhett?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)