|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Scarlett put on a train in Chapter 43?
2. Why does Colum leave for the day in Chapter 54?
3. What does Scarlett give the soldiers who arrive at her grandmother's house during a visit in Chapter 60?
4. Why is Scarlett's grandfather's dinner unsuccessful in Chapter 37?
5. What does Colum advise Scarlett to do in Chapter 44?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 65, what plans does Scarlett make for the future?
2. Why does Colum jump from the carriage in Chapter 49?
3. What does Kathleen tell Scarlett when she goes for a visit in Chapter 61?
4. What causes Scarlett to lose her joy of working on Ballyhara?
5. Why does the bank's president make a fuss over Scarlett in Chapter 38? What does Scarlett suspect about her grandfather after her bank visit?
6. What causes Scarlett to faint in Chapter 55? How does Colum explain Scarlett's fainting to a young cousin?
7. What rule is there in Scarlett's grandfather's house during Lent? How does Scarlett get around the rule?
8. What does Scarlett find out when she goes to the store run by her uncles, James and Andrew?
9. What makes Scarlett tear up in Chapter 35?
10. Why does Colum leave for the day in Chapter 54? What needs to be done in preparation for Scarlett's grandmother's birthday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of money in the novel "Scarlett". How important is money to Scarlett? How does she use money to get what she wants? Does money ever cause problems for Scarlett?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author of the novel "Scarlett", Alexandria Ripley. What other books has she written? Why was she chosen to write the sequel to the immensely popular "Gone with the Wind"? How was her work received by critics?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of jealousy in the novel "Scarlett". Who is jealous of whom and why? Does this jealousy affect the behavior of the jealous? Do they have reason to be jealous?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)