|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What information about Maureen horrifies Scarlett in Chapter 40?
2. Whose demeanor is Scarlett pleased by in Chapter 50?
3. How much does Scarlett offer for Ballyhara in Chapter 58?
4. Who is homesick for Ireland in Chapter 44?
5. Who does Scarlett ask to be the godmother of her baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the locals do when they see Scarlett out with her baby? Why does Scarlett think they do this?
2. What do Maureen and Scarlett share stories about in Chapter 43?
3. Why does Colum leave for the day in Chapter 54? What needs to be done in preparation for Scarlett's grandmother's birthday?
4. Why does Maureen laugh about Scarlett's grandfather ruining his birthday dinner?
5. Who does Mrs. Fitzpatrick send for when Scarlett's labor becomes difficult? Who delivers Scarlett's baby?
6. Why does the bank's president make a fuss over Scarlett in Chapter 38? What does Scarlett suspect about her grandfather after her bank visit?
7. Why does Colum jump from the carriage in Chapter 49?
8. In Chapter 54, what has Scarlett's pregnancy led her to believe?
9. What does Scarlett's grandfather offer her in Chapter 42, and under what conditions?
10. What happens when Scarlett and Colum visit a fair in Chapter 52, and how does Scarlett feel about the event?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "Scarlett". Who are the members of Scarlett's family? Who are the members of Rhett's family? How important is family to Scarlett? What obstacles does Scarlett face because of her family?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Scarlett's epiphany in section 5. What does Scarlett come to realize when she hears that Rhett has remarried? How does this information change her? How does it change her behavior towards Rhett?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Scarlett's bond with Tara. What does Tara mean to Scarlett? Why might it mean this to her? What does she feel about Tara as she grows and experiences new places? Does Scarlett's opinion, or reliance, on Tara change throughout the novel?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)