|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Scarlett's grandfather's dinner unsuccessful in Chapter 37?
2. Where has Scarlett gone when the visitors arrive at Daniel's in Chapter 58?
3. How is the baby described in Chapter 62?
4. What is Scarlett's dream for Ballyhara?
5. Why does Scarlett's grandfather laugh at her after she arrives late for dinner in Chapter 34?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes a stir in Chapter 58?
2. What does Scarlett give to Colum when they arrive in Ireland?
3. How does Scarlett feel about her pregnancy? Why does she decide not to return to Charleston?
4. In Chapter 54, what has Scarlett's pregnancy led her to believe?
5. Why does Colum leave for the day in Chapter 54? What needs to be done in preparation for Scarlett's grandmother's birthday?
6. What rule is there in Scarlett's grandfather's house during Lent? How does Scarlett get around the rule?
7. Why does Colum jump from the carriage in Chapter 49?
8. What causes Scarlett to faint in Chapter 55? How does Colum explain Scarlett's fainting to a young cousin?
9. Who does Mrs. Fitzpatrick send for when Scarlett's labor becomes difficult? Who delivers Scarlett's baby?
10. In Chapter 51, what does Scarlett hate about the guests at the party thrown in her honor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the O'Haras involvement with the Fenian Brotherhood. What is the Fenian Brotherhood? To what extent is Colum involved with this organization? How does his involvement affect Scarlett?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the character Scarlett. What are her defining character traits? What struggles and obstacles does she face throughout the novel? What are her goals and motives?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of jealousy in the novel "Scarlett". Who is jealous of whom and why? Does this jealousy affect the behavior of the jealous? Do they have reason to be jealous?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)