|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is homesick for Ireland in Chapter 44?
2. What does Colum advise Scarlett to do in Chapter 44?
3. How much does Scarlett win in the card game in Chapter 47?
4. In Chapter 38, what leads the president of the bank to make a fuss over Scarlett?
5. Why is Scarlett's grandfather's dinner unsuccessful in Chapter 37?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the bank's president make a fuss over Scarlett in Chapter 38? What does Scarlett suspect about her grandfather after her bank visit?
2. In Chapter 51, what does Scarlett hate about the guests at the party thrown in her honor?
3. What happens when Scarlett and Colum visit a fair in Chapter 52, and how does Scarlett feel about the event?
4. What do Maureen and Scarlett share stories about in Chapter 43?
5. What do the locals do when they see Scarlett out with her baby? Why does Scarlett think they do this?
6. Why does Colum jump from the carriage in Chapter 49?
7. What causes Scarlett to faint in Chapter 55? How does Colum explain Scarlett's fainting to a young cousin?
8. What rule is there in Scarlett's grandfather's house during Lent? How does Scarlett get around the rule?
9. What makes Scarlett tear up in Chapter 35?
10. What does Scarlett give to Colum when they arrive in Ireland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of jealousy in the novel "Scarlett". Who is jealous of whom and why? Does this jealousy affect the behavior of the jealous? Do they have reason to be jealous?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the love triangle between Scarlett, Rhett and Anne, as well as the love triangle between Scarlett, Rhett and Luke. How do Anne and Luke affect the relationship between Scarlett and Rhett? Do they ever pose a real threat to Scarlett's relationship with Rhett?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author of the novel "Scarlett", Alexandria Ripley. What other books has she written? Why was she chosen to write the sequel to the immensely popular "Gone with the Wind"? How was her work received by critics?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)