|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the letter that Scarlett receives in Chapter 54 indicate?
2. What does Colum advise Scarlett to do in Chapter 44?
3. Where does Scarlett go after escaping a social event in Chapter 41?
4. What does Scarlett demand of a servant carrying her grandfather's meal in Chapter 36?
5. Who is homesick for Ireland in Chapter 44?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scarlett's grandfather offer her in Chapter 42, and under what conditions?
2. In Chapter 54, what has Scarlett's pregnancy led her to believe?
3. What rule is there in Scarlett's grandfather's house during Lent? How does Scarlett get around the rule?
4. In Chapter 51, what does Scarlett hate about the guests at the party thrown in her honor?
5. What causes Scarlett to lose her joy of working on Ballyhara?
6. What does Scarlett give to Colum when they arrive in Ireland?
7. What does Colum advise Scarlett to do about her relationship with Rhett in Chapter 44?
8. Why does Colum leave for the day in Chapter 54? What needs to be done in preparation for Scarlett's grandmother's birthday?
9. Who does Mrs. Fitzpatrick send for when Scarlett's labor becomes difficult? Who delivers Scarlett's baby?
10. Why does Colum jump from the carriage in Chapter 49?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Scarlett's bond with Tara. What does Tara mean to Scarlett? Why might it mean this to her? What does she feel about Tara as she grows and experiences new places? Does Scarlett's opinion, or reliance, on Tara change throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author of the novel "Scarlett", Alexandria Ripley. What other books has she written? Why was she chosen to write the sequel to the immensely popular "Gone with the Wind"? How was her work received by critics?
Essay Topic 3
Scarlett takes place soon after the end of the American Civil War. How has the war affected the different characters of the novel? How has Scarlett's life been affected by the war? How has Tara changed? What are some examples of rehabilitation taking place?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)