|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does she demand this of the servant in Chapter 36?
2. What does the blacksmith at first refuse to do in Chapter 62?
3. Why does Scarlett give Colum her winnings from the card game in Chapter 47?
4. Who does Scarlett first stay with in Ireland?
5. What is Scarlett bored by in Chapter 50?
Short Essay Questions
1. What stories circulate about the baby Scarlett just gave birth to?
2. What does Kathleen tell Scarlett when she goes for a visit in Chapter 61?
3. What do Maureen and Scarlett share stories about in Chapter 43?
4. What makes Scarlett tear up in Chapter 35?
5. Why does Colum leave for the day in Chapter 54? What needs to be done in preparation for Scarlett's grandmother's birthday?
6. What does Colum advise Scarlett to do about her relationship with Rhett in Chapter 44?
7. Why does Maureen laugh about Scarlett's grandfather ruining his birthday dinner?
8. In Chapter 65, what plans does Scarlett make for the future?
9. Why does Colum jump from the carriage in Chapter 49?
10. Who does Mrs. Fitzpatrick send for when Scarlett's labor becomes difficult? Who delivers Scarlett's baby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Scarlett's epiphany in section 5. What does Scarlett come to realize when she hears that Rhett has remarried? How does this information change her? How does it change her behavior towards Rhett?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the love triangle between Scarlett, Rhett and Anne, as well as the love triangle between Scarlett, Rhett and Luke. How do Anne and Luke affect the relationship between Scarlett and Rhett? Do they ever pose a real threat to Scarlett's relationship with Rhett?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the character Rhett Butler. What are his defining character traits? What struggles and obstacles does he face throughout the novel? What does the reader learn about his background and family life? Is he a good father? Husband?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)