|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scarlett give to Colum in Chapter 57?
2. Why does Scarlett's grandfather laugh at her after she arrives late for dinner in Chapter 34?
3. Who is homesick for Ireland in Chapter 44?
4. How much money does Rhett send Scarlett in Chapter 38?
5. Why does Scarlett give Colum her winnings from the card game in Chapter 47?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scarlett give to Colum when they arrive in Ireland?
2. In Chapter 65, what plans does Scarlett make for the future?
3. What causes Scarlett to lose her joy of working on Ballyhara?
4. How does Scarlett relate to the workers at Ballyhara in Chapter 59?
5. In Chapter 51, what does Scarlett hate about the guests at the party thrown in her honor?
6. What makes Scarlett tear up in Chapter 35?
7. What does Scarlett's grandfather offer her in Chapter 42, and under what conditions?
8. Why does Colum leave for the day in Chapter 54? What needs to be done in preparation for Scarlett's grandmother's birthday?
9. Who does Mrs. Fitzpatrick send for when Scarlett's labor becomes difficult? Who delivers Scarlett's baby?
10. What rule is there in Scarlett's grandfather's house during Lent? How does Scarlett get around the rule?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the character Rhett Butler. What are his defining character traits? What struggles and obstacles does he face throughout the novel? What does the reader learn about his background and family life? Is he a good father? Husband?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Scarlett and Rhett. What ups and downs do they experience during their relationship? Are they well-suited for one another? Why or why not? What keeps them apart throughout the novel? What brings them together?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of jealousy in the novel "Scarlett". Who is jealous of whom and why? Does this jealousy affect the behavior of the jealous? Do they have reason to be jealous?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)