|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 38, what leads the president of the bank to make a fuss over Scarlett?
2. Why do the Ballyhara workers hate answering to Scarlett?
3. Why does she demand this of the servant in Chapter 36?
4. Why does Scarlett give Colum her winnings from the card game in Chapter 47?
5. What story does Joe O'Neill go around telling in Chapter 63?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the bank's president make a fuss over Scarlett in Chapter 38? What does Scarlett suspect about her grandfather after her bank visit?
2. How does Scarlett relate to the workers at Ballyhara in Chapter 59?
3. What causes Scarlett to faint in Chapter 55? How does Colum explain Scarlett's fainting to a young cousin?
4. Who does Mrs. Fitzpatrick send for when Scarlett's labor becomes difficult? Who delivers Scarlett's baby?
5. What does Scarlett give to Colum when they arrive in Ireland?
6. In Chapter 54, what has Scarlett's pregnancy led her to believe?
7. What does Colum advise Scarlett to do about her relationship with Rhett in Chapter 44?
8. What does Scarlett find out when she goes to the store run by her uncles, James and Andrew?
9. What happens when Scarlett and Colum visit a fair in Chapter 52, and how does Scarlett feel about the event?
10. Why does Colum jump from the carriage in Chapter 49?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Scarlett and Rhett. What ups and downs do they experience during their relationship? Are they well-suited for one another? Why or why not? What keeps them apart throughout the novel? What brings them together?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of reputation in the novel "Scarlett". Why is one's reputation so important during this time period and place? What connection can be made between the importance of one's reputation and Scarlett's social class? What are some examples of times when Scarlett's reputation is in jeopardy? How does Rhett save the day?
Essay Topic 3
What is the genre of the novel "Scarlett"? What are some examples of other works of this genre? What are the characteristics of this genre? What are some examples of these characteristics in "Scarlett"?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)