|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scarlett decide to do in Chapter 46?
2. What is Scarlett enamored by at the street market in Chapter 47?
3. What does the letter that Scarlett receives in Chapter 54 indicate?
4. What must Scarlett do to receive her grandfather's fortune?
5. What does Scarlett give to Colum in Chapter 57?
Short Essay Questions
1. What rule is there in Scarlett's grandfather's house during Lent? How does Scarlett get around the rule?
2. What does Colum advise Scarlett to do about her relationship with Rhett in Chapter 44?
3. What do the locals do when they see Scarlett out with her baby? Why does Scarlett think they do this?
4. What does Scarlett find out when she goes to the store run by her uncles, James and Andrew?
5. What do Maureen and Scarlett share stories about in Chapter 43?
6. In Chapter 54, what has Scarlett's pregnancy led her to believe?
7. What does Scarlett's grandfather offer her in Chapter 42, and under what conditions?
8. What causes Scarlett to faint in Chapter 55? How does Colum explain Scarlett's fainting to a young cousin?
9. Why does Maureen laugh about Scarlett's grandfather ruining his birthday dinner?
10. Why does Colum leave for the day in Chapter 54? What needs to be done in preparation for Scarlett's grandmother's birthday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the genre of the novel "Scarlett"? What are some examples of other works of this genre? What are the characteristics of this genre? What are some examples of these characteristics in "Scarlett"?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Scarlett's bond with Tara. What does Tara mean to Scarlett? Why might it mean this to her? What does she feel about Tara as she grows and experiences new places? Does Scarlett's opinion, or reliance, on Tara change throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Scarlett and Rhett. What ups and downs do they experience during their relationship? Are they well-suited for one another? Why or why not? What keeps them apart throughout the novel? What brings them together?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)