|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Scarlett enamored by at the street market in Chapter 47?
2. Who does Colum bring with him to Ballyhara in Chapter 59?
3. How much does Scarlett offer for Ballyhara in Chapter 58?
4. What does Scarlett participate in in Chapter 45?
5. At what point does Scarlett's joy in the Ballyhara project become lost?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Maureen laugh about Scarlett's grandfather ruining his birthday dinner?
2. What stories circulate about the baby Scarlett just gave birth to?
3. What does Scarlett find out when she goes to the store run by her uncles, James and Andrew?
4. In Chapter 65, what plans does Scarlett make for the future?
5. How does Scarlett feel about her pregnancy? Why does she decide not to return to Charleston?
6. In Chapter 51, what does Scarlett hate about the guests at the party thrown in her honor?
7. What rule is there in Scarlett's grandfather's house during Lent? How does Scarlett get around the rule?
8. What does Scarlett's grandfather offer her in Chapter 42, and under what conditions?
9. Why does Colum jump from the carriage in Chapter 49?
10. How does Scarlett relate to the workers at Ballyhara in Chapter 59?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the love triangle between Scarlett, Rhett and Anne, as well as the love triangle between Scarlett, Rhett and Luke. How do Anne and Luke affect the relationship between Scarlett and Rhett? Do they ever pose a real threat to Scarlett's relationship with Rhett?
Essay Topic 2
Scarlett takes place soon after the end of the American Civil War. How has the war affected the different characters of the novel? How has Scarlett's life been affected by the war? How has Tara changed? What are some examples of rehabilitation taking place?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of reputation in the novel "Scarlett". Why is one's reputation so important during this time period and place? What connection can be made between the importance of one's reputation and Scarlett's social class? What are some examples of times when Scarlett's reputation is in jeopardy? How does Rhett save the day?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)