|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Colum think Ballyhara is a prime place for?
2. What does Colum speak to groups about?
3. What is Scarlett invited to in Chapter 34?
4. Why does she demand this of the servant in Chapter 36?
5. Where do Scarlett and Colum ride to in Chapter 53?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 51, what does Scarlett hate about the guests at the party thrown in her honor?
2. What stories circulate about the baby Scarlett just gave birth to?
3. What do the locals do when they see Scarlett out with her baby? Why does Scarlett think they do this?
4. In Chapter 65, what plans does Scarlett make for the future?
5. What do Maureen and Scarlett share stories about in Chapter 43?
6. What does Scarlett find out when she goes to the store run by her uncles, James and Andrew?
7. What does Scarlett give to Colum when they arrive in Ireland?
8. Why does Colum jump from the carriage in Chapter 49?
9. What does Kathleen tell Scarlett when she goes for a visit in Chapter 61?
10. Why does Maureen laugh about Scarlett's grandfather ruining his birthday dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "Scarlett". Who are the members of Scarlett's family? Who are the members of Rhett's family? How important is family to Scarlett? What obstacles does Scarlett face because of her family?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of jealousy in the novel "Scarlett". Who is jealous of whom and why? Does this jealousy affect the behavior of the jealous? Do they have reason to be jealous?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the character Rhett Butler. What are his defining character traits? What struggles and obstacles does he face throughout the novel? What does the reader learn about his background and family life? Is he a good father? Husband?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)