|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scarlett conclude after touring the large house in Chapter 61?
2. What does the blacksmith at first refuse to do in Chapter 62?
3. Why does Scarlett give Colum her winnings from the card game in Chapter 47?
4. What does the news clipping which Scarlett receives from Aunt Paulie say?
5. What does everyone do at Daniel's while Scarlett is out in Chapter 58?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scarlett give to Colum when they arrive in Ireland?
2. In Chapter 54, what has Scarlett's pregnancy led her to believe?
3. What do the locals do when they see Scarlett out with her baby? Why does Scarlett think they do this?
4. What happens when Scarlett and Colum visit a fair in Chapter 52, and how does Scarlett feel about the event?
5. Why does Maureen laugh about Scarlett's grandfather ruining his birthday dinner?
6. What does Scarlett's grandfather offer her in Chapter 42, and under what conditions?
7. What does Kathleen tell Scarlett when she goes for a visit in Chapter 61?
8. How does Scarlett relate to the workers at Ballyhara in Chapter 59?
9. What rule is there in Scarlett's grandfather's house during Lent? How does Scarlett get around the rule?
10. Why does Colum jump from the carriage in Chapter 49?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author of the novel "Scarlett", Alexandria Ripley. What other books has she written? Why was she chosen to write the sequel to the immensely popular "Gone with the Wind"? How was her work received by critics?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "Scarlett". Who are the members of Scarlett's family? Who are the members of Rhett's family? How important is family to Scarlett? What obstacles does Scarlett face because of her family?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the conclusion of the novel "Scarlett". What happens at the end of the novel? Are there any unanswered questions? Why might Ripley have chosen to end the novel when she did?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)