|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kathleen tell Scarlett about her grandmother in Chapter 61?
2. Why does Scarlett give Colum her winnings from the card game in Chapter 47?
3. Why does she demand this of the servant in Chapter 36?
4. What does Scarlett realize during her journey to Ireland?
5. Whose demeanor is Scarlett pleased by in Chapter 50?
Short Essay Questions
1. What rule is there in Scarlett's grandfather's house during Lent? How does Scarlett get around the rule?
2. What makes Scarlett tear up in Chapter 35?
3. Who does Mrs. Fitzpatrick send for when Scarlett's labor becomes difficult? Who delivers Scarlett's baby?
4. What does Scarlett's grandfather offer her in Chapter 42, and under what conditions?
5. Why does the bank's president make a fuss over Scarlett in Chapter 38? What does Scarlett suspect about her grandfather after her bank visit?
6. What does Scarlett give to Colum when they arrive in Ireland?
7. What causes Scarlett to faint in Chapter 55? How does Colum explain Scarlett's fainting to a young cousin?
8. What happens when Scarlett and Colum visit a fair in Chapter 52, and how does Scarlett feel about the event?
9. What stories circulate about the baby Scarlett just gave birth to?
10. What causes a stir in Chapter 58?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the O'Haras involvement with the Fenian Brotherhood. What is the Fenian Brotherhood? To what extent is Colum involved with this organization? How does his involvement affect Scarlett?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the character Scarlett. What are her defining character traits? What struggles and obstacles does she face throughout the novel? What are her goals and motives?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Scarlett's bond with Tara. What does Tara mean to Scarlett? Why might it mean this to her? What does she feel about Tara as she grows and experiences new places? Does Scarlett's opinion, or reliance, on Tara change throughout the novel?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)