|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scarlett give to Colum in Chapter 57?
2. Whose demeanor is Scarlett pleased by in Chapter 50?
3. What is the weather like when Scarlett goes into labor?
4. What do Scarlett and Colum visit in Chapter 52?
5. What does Kathleen tell Scarlett about her grandmother in Chapter 61?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 51, what does Scarlett hate about the guests at the party thrown in her honor?
2. What causes Scarlett to lose her joy of working on Ballyhara?
3. Why does Colum leave for the day in Chapter 54? What needs to be done in preparation for Scarlett's grandmother's birthday?
4. Why does the bank's president make a fuss over Scarlett in Chapter 38? What does Scarlett suspect about her grandfather after her bank visit?
5. What causes Scarlett to faint in Chapter 55? How does Colum explain Scarlett's fainting to a young cousin?
6. Why does Maureen laugh about Scarlett's grandfather ruining his birthday dinner?
7. What do the locals do when they see Scarlett out with her baby? Why does Scarlett think they do this?
8. In Chapter 54, what has Scarlett's pregnancy led her to believe?
9. What does Colum advise Scarlett to do about her relationship with Rhett in Chapter 44?
10. How does Scarlett feel about her pregnancy? Why does she decide not to return to Charleston?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the character Rhett Butler. What are his defining character traits? What struggles and obstacles does he face throughout the novel? What does the reader learn about his background and family life? Is he a good father? Husband?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Scarlett's social class. What social class is Scarlett a part of? How does this affect her behavior? Who are some characters in the novel who are members of other social classes? How are they treated?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the love triangle between Scarlett, Rhett and Anne, as well as the love triangle between Scarlett, Rhett and Luke. How do Anne and Luke affect the relationship between Scarlett and Rhett? Do they ever pose a real threat to Scarlett's relationship with Rhett?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)