|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Scarlett's dream for Ballyhara?
2. What is Scarlett upset by during the fair in Chapter 52?
3. Who does Scarlett learn has died in Chapter 34?
4. What does the news clipping which Scarlett receives from Aunt Paulie say?
5. Why is Scarlett's grandfather's dinner unsuccessful in Chapter 37?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Scarlett and Colum visit a fair in Chapter 52, and how does Scarlett feel about the event?
2. What does Colum advise Scarlett to do about her relationship with Rhett in Chapter 44?
3. What causes Scarlett to faint in Chapter 55? How does Colum explain Scarlett's fainting to a young cousin?
4. How does Scarlett relate to the workers at Ballyhara in Chapter 59?
5. What do Maureen and Scarlett share stories about in Chapter 43?
6. In Chapter 54, what has Scarlett's pregnancy led her to believe?
7. What does Kathleen tell Scarlett when she goes for a visit in Chapter 61?
8. What rule is there in Scarlett's grandfather's house during Lent? How does Scarlett get around the rule?
9. What makes Scarlett tear up in Chapter 35?
10. Why does Colum leave for the day in Chapter 54? What needs to be done in preparation for Scarlett's grandmother's birthday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of jealousy in the novel "Scarlett". Who is jealous of whom and why? Does this jealousy affect the behavior of the jealous? Do they have reason to be jealous?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Scarlett's bond with Tara. What does Tara mean to Scarlett? Why might it mean this to her? What does she feel about Tara as she grows and experiences new places? Does Scarlett's opinion, or reliance, on Tara change throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of reputation in the novel "Scarlett". Why is one's reputation so important during this time period and place? What connection can be made between the importance of one's reputation and Scarlett's social class? What are some examples of times when Scarlett's reputation is in jeopardy? How does Rhett save the day?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)