|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story does the midwife go around telling in Chapter 63?
2. What is the travelers' destination in Chapter 48?
3. What is the name of the ship that has mail for Scarlett in Chapter 55?
4. Why does Scarlett's grandfather laugh at her after she arrives late for dinner in Chapter 34?
5. What does the news clipping which Scarlett receives from Aunt Paulie say?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the bank's president make a fuss over Scarlett in Chapter 38? What does Scarlett suspect about her grandfather after her bank visit?
2. How does Scarlett relate to the workers at Ballyhara in Chapter 59?
3. Who does Mrs. Fitzpatrick send for when Scarlett's labor becomes difficult? Who delivers Scarlett's baby?
4. What causes Scarlett to lose her joy of working on Ballyhara?
5. What does Scarlett give to Colum when they arrive in Ireland?
6. How does Scarlett feel about her pregnancy? Why does she decide not to return to Charleston?
7. Why does Colum leave for the day in Chapter 54? What needs to be done in preparation for Scarlett's grandmother's birthday?
8. What causes a stir in Chapter 58?
9. What rule is there in Scarlett's grandfather's house during Lent? How does Scarlett get around the rule?
10. What does Scarlett find out when she goes to the store run by her uncles, James and Andrew?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the genre of the novel "Scarlett"? What are some examples of other works of this genre? What are the characteristics of this genre? What are some examples of these characteristics in "Scarlett"?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the character Scarlett. What are her defining character traits? What struggles and obstacles does she face throughout the novel? What are her goals and motives?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of reputation in the novel "Scarlett". Why is one's reputation so important during this time period and place? What connection can be made between the importance of one's reputation and Scarlett's social class? What are some examples of times when Scarlett's reputation is in jeopardy? How does Rhett save the day?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)