|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What information about Maureen horrifies Scarlett in Chapter 40?
2. Who is Mrs. Fitzpatrick?
3. What is Scarlett bored by in Chapter 50?
4. Why is Scarlett's grandfather's dinner unsuccessful in Chapter 37?
5. What does Colum advise Scarlett to do in Chapter 44?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scarlett find out when she goes to the store run by her uncles, James and Andrew?
2. Why does Colum leave for the day in Chapter 54? What needs to be done in preparation for Scarlett's grandmother's birthday?
3. In Chapter 65, what plans does Scarlett make for the future?
4. What causes Scarlett to lose her joy of working on Ballyhara?
5. Why does the bank's president make a fuss over Scarlett in Chapter 38? What does Scarlett suspect about her grandfather after her bank visit?
6. What does Colum advise Scarlett to do about her relationship with Rhett in Chapter 44?
7. What does Scarlett give to Colum when they arrive in Ireland?
8. Why does Maureen laugh about Scarlett's grandfather ruining his birthday dinner?
9. In Chapter 51, what does Scarlett hate about the guests at the party thrown in her honor?
10. What do the locals do when they see Scarlett out with her baby? Why does Scarlett think they do this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the character Rhett Butler. What are his defining character traits? What struggles and obstacles does he face throughout the novel? What does the reader learn about his background and family life? Is he a good father? Husband?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Scarlett's epiphany in section 5. What does Scarlett come to realize when she hears that Rhett has remarried? How does this information change her? How does it change her behavior towards Rhett?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author of the novel "Scarlett", Alexandria Ripley. What other books has she written? Why was she chosen to write the sequel to the immensely popular "Gone with the Wind"? How was her work received by critics?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)