|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must Suellen do if Scarlett were to pay her a stipend?
2. What must Rhett help Scarlett do before she will agree to leave Charleston?
3. What does Rhett declare he will revive in Chapter 26?
4. Why does Scarlett prepare to leave Tara in Chapter 4?
5. What does Emma notice about Anne Hampton in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Montague say she can do for Scarlett in Chapter 75?
2. What do the locals do when they see Scarlett out with her baby? Why does Scarlett think they do this?
3. What causes Scarlett to leave Tara in Chapter 4? Why does she leave Pansy behind?
4. In Chapter 54, what has Scarlett's pregnancy led her to believe?
5. What upsets Colum in Chapter 77?
6. Why does Colum jump from the carriage in Chapter 49?
7. In Chapter 26, what does Scarlett agree to leave Charleston and Rhett in return for?
8. What does Colum advise Scarlett to do about her relationship with Rhett in Chapter 44?
9. Who does Scarlett encounter at the Drogheda fair?
10. What promises does Rhett make to Mammy before she dies? What does Rhett tell Scarlett after making his promises?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the character Scarlett. What are her defining character traits? What struggles and obstacles does she face throughout the novel? What are her goals and motives?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the conclusion of the novel "Scarlett". What happens at the end of the novel? Are there any unanswered questions? Why might Ripley have chosen to end the novel when she did?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author of the novel "Scarlett", Alexandria Ripley. What other books has she written? Why was she chosen to write the sequel to the immensely popular "Gone with the Wind"? How was her work received by critics?
This section contains 1,475 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)