|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What indicates to Scarlett that Ashley's lumber business is in trouble in Chapter 6?
2. What does Rhett tell Scarlett he will stop doing if she remains in Charleston?
3. What must Suellen do if Scarlett were to pay her a stipend?
4. What will Rosemary be touring soon, as of Chapter 22?
5. Who does Scarlett dress as at the masquerade ball in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What promises does Rhett make to Mammy before she dies? What does Rhett tell Scarlett after making his promises?
2. What is Scarlett's response when Eleanor asks her if she wants another child?
3. How does Scarlett earn Sally's respect in Chapter 15?
4. What causes a stir among the mourners in Chapter 1?
5. What does Scarlett discover she and Rosemary have in common in Chapter 25?
6. What prevents Scarlett from visiting her children at Christmas? What does she decide to do instead?
7. What gives Scarlett an opportunity to contact her estranged husband, Rhett?
8. For what reasons does Rhett tell Rosemary he must get away from Scarlett?
9. Why does Scarlett volunteer to chaperone Rosemary on a visit to Rhett's plantation?
10. Where does Scarlett ask Rhett to take her in Chapter 29? In Chapter 30, what trouble do Scarlett and Rhett get into?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the different archetypes found in the novel "Scarlett". What are some different types of archetypes and which can be found in the novel? What type of heroine is Scarlett? What type of hero is Rhett?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the conclusion of the novel "Scarlett". What happens at the end of the novel? Are there any unanswered questions? Why might Ripley have chosen to end the novel when she did?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author of the novel "Scarlett", Alexandria Ripley. What other books has she written? Why was she chosen to write the sequel to the immensely popular "Gone with the Wind"? How was her work received by critics?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)