|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rhett demand to see Scarlett's clothes?
2. What is the name of Scarlett's store?
3. What are the names of Scarlett's children who are at Tara?
4. Why does Scarlett agree to be Rosemary's chaperone in Chapter 22?
5. Why does Scarlett try to stop someone from throwing himself in a grave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is missing from the party that greets Scarlett at Tara?
2. In Chapter 18, what does Rhett offer Scarlett to get her to leave Charleston? When does Scarlett agree to leave?
3. Where does Rhett tell Mrs. Cooper he will take Tommy? Where does he actually take Tommy?
4. What prevents Scarlett from visiting her children at Christmas? What does she decide to do instead?
5. What is Scarlett's response when Eleanor asks her if she wants another child?
6. In Chapter 3, what is preventing repairs from being done at Tara? For what reason does Scarlett offer to pay Suellen a stipend?
7. What gives Scarlett an opportunity to contact her estranged husband, Rhett?
8. In Chapter 4, what does Scarlett ask Suellen not to gossip about to others?
9. What promises does Rhett make to Mammy before she dies? What does Rhett tell Scarlett after making his promises?
10. In Chapter 14, how is the aloofness of the citizens of Charleston explained?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the different archetypes found in the novel "Scarlett". What are some different types of archetypes and which can be found in the novel? What type of heroine is Scarlett? What type of hero is Rhett?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the character Rhett Butler. What are his defining character traits? What struggles and obstacles does he face throughout the novel? What does the reader learn about his background and family life? Is he a good father? Husband?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Scarlett's social class. What social class is Scarlett a part of? How does this affect her behavior? Who are some characters in the novel who are members of other social classes? How are they treated?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)