|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tara?
2. What is the name of Ashley's son?
3. Where does Scarlett go with her aunts in Chapter 16?
4. Where is Rhett in Chapter 16?
5. Why does an angry group of workers gather outside of Rhett's plantation in Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ross do to Scarlett when he returns home one night after drinking? How does Scarlett react?
2. What promises does Rhett make to Mammy before she dies? What does Rhett tell Scarlett after making his promises?
3. What causes Scarlett to leave Tara in Chapter 4? Why does she leave Pansy behind?
4. What does Scarlett discover she and Rosemary have in common in Chapter 25?
5. In Chapter 26, what does Scarlett agree to leave Charleston and Rhett in return for?
6. Why does Scarlett volunteer to chaperone Rosemary on a visit to Rhett's plantation?
7. In Chapter 10, who does Scarlett go to stay with in Charleston? Who do Scarlett's hosts announce that they intend to visit? Why do people in Charleston have to walk everywhere?
8. What does Scarlett think of Eleanor Butler? How does Scarlett end up staying with Eleanor?
9. Where does Rhett tell Mrs. Cooper he will take Tommy? Where does he actually take Tommy?
10. What causes a stir among the mourners in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Scarlett's relationship with her children. Who are her children and how does she treat them? How do they treat her? What does the reader know about her children's upbringing? In your opinion, is Scarlett a good mother? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is the genre of the novel "Scarlett"? What are some examples of other works of this genre? What are the characteristics of this genre? What are some examples of these characteristics in "Scarlett"?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Scarlett's epiphany in section 5. What does Scarlett come to realize when she hears that Rhett has remarried? How does this information change her? How does it change her behavior towards Rhett?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)