|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rhett tell Scarlett he will stop doing if she remains in Charleston?
2. According to Rhett, when will he return to Charleston, as of Chapter 32?
3. Why are all outsiders no longer welcomed in Charleston?
4. Why do Rhett and Ross hide at Rhett's plantation in Chapter 19?
5. What is the name of the cemetery that Scarlett visits in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 14, how is the aloofness of the citizens of Charleston explained?
2. In Chapter 26, what does Scarlett agree to leave Charleston and Rhett in return for?
3. In Chapter 18, what does Rhett offer Scarlett to get her to leave Charleston? When does Scarlett agree to leave?
4. In Chapter 10, who does Scarlett go to stay with in Charleston? Who do Scarlett's hosts announce that they intend to visit? Why do people in Charleston have to walk everywhere?
5. Who is missing from the party that greets Scarlett at Tara?
6. How does Rhett feel about Scarlett's presence in Charleston? Why does he say he won't ask her to leave?
7. What does Scarlett think of Eleanor Butler? How does Scarlett end up staying with Eleanor?
8. What does Scarlett arrange for India at her store in Chapter 6?
9. In Chapter 6, what makes Scarlett think Ashley's business is in trouble? What does she decide to do to help him?
10. In Chapter 4, what does Scarlett ask Suellen not to gossip about to others?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Scarlett's business mind. What are the businesses that Scarlett is involved with? How does she use her business sense to help others? Would it have been normal for a woman, particularly of her status, to be in business?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Scarlett's bond with Tara. What does Tara mean to Scarlett? Why might it mean this to her? What does she feel about Tara as she grows and experiences new places? Does Scarlett's opinion, or reliance, on Tara change throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the conclusion of the novel "Scarlett". What happens at the end of the novel? Are there any unanswered questions? Why might Ripley have chosen to end the novel when she did?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)