|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rhett tell Scarlett he will stop doing if she remains in Charleston?
2. According to Rhett, what must Scarlett do to her clothes to fit in with Charleston society?
3. What indicates to Scarlett that Ashley's lumber business is in trouble in Chapter 6?
4. What does Sally have little doubt of in Chapter 12?
5. How does Scarlett earn Sally Brewton's respect?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Scarlett ask Rhett to take her in Chapter 29? In Chapter 30, what trouble do Scarlett and Rhett get into?
2. In Chapter 10, who does Scarlett go to stay with in Charleston? Who do Scarlett's hosts announce that they intend to visit? Why do people in Charleston have to walk everywhere?
3. What causes a stir among the mourners in Chapter 1?
4. How does Scarlett earn Sally's respect in Chapter 15?
5. Who is missing from the party that greets Scarlett at Tara?
6. What causes Scarlett to leave Tara in Chapter 4? Why does she leave Pansy behind?
7. What does Scarlett resolve to stop doing in Chapter 9?
8. In Chapter 14, how is the aloofness of the citizens of Charleston explained?
9. What prevents Scarlett from visiting her children at Christmas? What does she decide to do instead?
10. Why does Scarlett volunteer to chaperone Rosemary on a visit to Rhett's plantation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the conclusion of the novel "Scarlett". What happens at the end of the novel? Are there any unanswered questions? Why might Ripley have chosen to end the novel when she did?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "Scarlett". Who are the members of Scarlett's family? Who are the members of Rhett's family? How important is family to Scarlett? What obstacles does Scarlett face because of her family?
Essay Topic 3
Scarlett takes place soon after the end of the American Civil War. How has the war affected the different characters of the novel? How has Scarlett's life been affected by the war? How has Tara changed? What are some examples of rehabilitation taking place?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)