Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Scarlett's impression of Eleanor Butler when she meets her for the first time?
2. Why does Scarlett prepare to leave Tara in Chapter 4?
3. When Scarlett finds Ashley's house closed up in Chapter 5, where does she go to find him?
4. What story involving criminal behavior does Scarlett hear in Chapter 16?
5. Why is Tara unable to be repaired in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Scarlett to lose her joy of working on Ballyhara?
2. What stories circulate about the baby Scarlett just gave birth to?
3. What does Scarlett resolve to stop doing in Chapter 9?
4. Why does Scarlett set out to make the Earl of Fenton fall in love with her? Why does Luke want to marry Scarlett?
5. How does Scarlett earn respect in the community when she returns to Ireland?
6. In Chapter 26, what does Scarlett agree to leave Charleston and Rhett in return for?
7. How does Rhett feel about Scarlett's presence in Charleston? Why does he say he won't ask her to leave?
8. What does Scarlett give to Colum when they arrive in Ireland?
9. Who does Mrs. Fitzpatrick send for when Scarlett's labor becomes difficult? Who delivers Scarlett's baby?
10. Who does Scarlett encounter at the Drogheda fair?
Scarlett takes place soon after the end of the American Civil War. How has the war affected the different characters of the novel? How has Scarlett's life been affected by the war? How has Tara changed? What are some examples of rehabilitation taking place?
Discuss Scarlett's growth as a character. How does she grow throughout the novel? How was she able to do this? How does it change her relationship with Rhett?
Analyze and interpret the character Rhett Butler. What are his defining character traits? What struggles and obstacles does he face throughout the novel? What does the reader learn about his background and family life? Is he a good father? Husband?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)