|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rosemary confront Rhett about in Chapter 19?
2. Why does an angry group of workers gather outside of Rhett's plantation in Chapter 23?
3. What does Scarlett realize she has to stop doing in Chapter 9?
4. Whose grave site does Scarlett visit in Chapter 1?
5. What is Rhett growing on his plantation in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prevents Scarlett from visiting her children at Christmas? What does she decide to do instead?
2. What causes a stir among the mourners in Chapter 1?
3. In Chapter 6, what makes Scarlett think Ashley's business is in trouble? What does she decide to do to help him?
4. How does Rhett feel about Scarlett's presence in Charleston? Why does he say he won't ask her to leave?
5. What causes Scarlett to leave Tara in Chapter 4? Why does she leave Pansy behind?
6. What does Ross do to Scarlett when he returns home one night after drinking? How does Scarlett react?
7. Why does Scarlett volunteer to chaperone Rosemary on a visit to Rhett's plantation?
8. What promises does Rhett make to Mammy before she dies? What does Rhett tell Scarlett after making his promises?
9. What does Rhett advise Scarlett to do if she wants to fit in in Charleston?
10. How does Scarlett earn Sally's respect in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author of the novel "Scarlett", Alexandria Ripley. What other books has she written? Why was she chosen to write the sequel to the immensely popular "Gone with the Wind"? How was her work received by critics?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "Scarlett". Who are the members of Scarlett's family? Who are the members of Rhett's family? How important is family to Scarlett? What obstacles does Scarlett face because of her family?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Scarlett's growth as a character. How does she grow throughout the novel? How was she able to do this? How does it change her relationship with Rhett?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)