Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Scarlett's impression of Eleanor Butler when she meets her for the first time?
2. Why does Scarlett prepare to leave Tara in Chapter 4?
3. When Scarlett finds Ashley's house closed up in Chapter 5, where does she go to find him?
4. What story involving criminal behavior does Scarlett hear in Chapter 16?
5. Why is Tara unable to be repaired in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Scarlett to lose her joy of working on Ballyhara?
2. What stories circulate about the baby Scarlett just gave birth to?
3. What does Scarlett resolve to stop doing in Chapter 9?
4. Why does Scarlett set out to make the Earl of Fenton fall in love with her? Why does Luke want to marry Scarlett?
5. How does Scarlett earn respect in the community when she returns to Ireland?
6. In Chapter 26, what does Scarlett agree to leave Charleston and Rhett in return for?
7. How does Rhett feel about Scarlett's presence in Charleston? Why does he say he won't ask her to leave?
8. What does Scarlett give to Colum when they arrive in Ireland?
9. Who does Mrs. Fitzpatrick send for when Scarlett's labor becomes difficult? Who delivers Scarlett's baby?
10. Who does Scarlett encounter at the Drogheda fair?
Essay Topic 1
What is the genre of the novel "Scarlett"? What are some examples of other works of this genre? What are the characteristics of this genre? What are some examples of these characteristics in "Scarlett"?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author of the novel "Scarlett", Alexandria Ripley. What other books has she written? Why was she chosen to write the sequel to the immensely popular "Gone with the Wind"? How was her work received by critics?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the conclusion of the novel "Scarlett". What happens at the end of the novel? Are there any unanswered questions? Why might Ripley have chosen to end the novel when she did?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)