|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rhett agree to do with Scarlett in Chapter 29?
2. Why does Scarlett spend a great deal of time with Middleton Courtney in Chapter 25?
3. Why does Scarlett leave her maid behind at Tara?
4. What does Scarlett realize she has to stop doing in Chapter 9?
5. Who does Scarlett dress as at the masquerade ball in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gives Scarlett an opportunity to contact her estranged husband, Rhett?
2. Who greets Rhett, Scarlett and Rosemary at the plantation in Chapter 23?
3. What prevents Scarlett from visiting her children at Christmas? What does she decide to do instead?
4. What does Scarlett arrange for India at her store in Chapter 6?
5. How does Rhett feel about Scarlett's presence in Charleston? Why does he say he won't ask her to leave?
6. In Chapter 14, how is the aloofness of the citizens of Charleston explained?
7. For what reasons does Rhett tell Rosemary he must get away from Scarlett?
8. What does Ross do to Scarlett when he returns home one night after drinking? How does Scarlett react?
9. In Chapter 10, who does Scarlett go to stay with in Charleston? Who do Scarlett's hosts announce that they intend to visit? Why do people in Charleston have to walk everywhere?
10. In Chapter 4, what does Scarlett ask Suellen not to gossip about to others?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Scarlett takes place soon after the end of the American Civil War. How has the war affected the different characters of the novel? How has Scarlett's life been affected by the war? How has Tara changed? What are some examples of rehabilitation taking place?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of jealousy in the novel "Scarlett". Who is jealous of whom and why? Does this jealousy affect the behavior of the jealous? Do they have reason to be jealous?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Scarlett's growth as a character. How does she grow throughout the novel? How was she able to do this? How does it change her relationship with Rhett?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)