|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Rhett, what must Scarlett do to her clothes to fit in with Charleston society?
2. How does Scarlett earn Sally Brewton's respect?
3. Why do the residents of Charleston walk everywhere?
4. What does Rhett tell Scarlett he will stop doing if she remains in Charleston?
5. What must Suellen do if Scarlett were to pay her a stipend?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what makes Scarlett think Ashley's business is in trouble? What does she decide to do to help him?
2. Who greets Rhett, Scarlett and Rosemary at the plantation in Chapter 23?
3. In Chapter 18, what does Rhett offer Scarlett to get her to leave Charleston? When does Scarlett agree to leave?
4. What disgusts Scarlett about the plantation Rhett is running? What potential does Scarlett see at Rhett's phosphate mine?
5. Where does Rhett tell Mrs. Cooper he will take Tommy? Where does he actually take Tommy?
6. What gives Scarlett an opportunity to contact her estranged husband, Rhett?
7. What does Scarlett think of Eleanor Butler? How does Scarlett end up staying with Eleanor?
8. Where does Scarlett ask Rhett to take her in Chapter 29? In Chapter 30, what trouble do Scarlett and Rhett get into?
9. What causes a stir among the mourners in Chapter 1?
10. In Chapter 3, what is preventing repairs from being done at Tara? For what reason does Scarlett offer to pay Suellen a stipend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the conclusion of the novel "Scarlett". What happens at the end of the novel? Are there any unanswered questions? Why might Ripley have chosen to end the novel when she did?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of money in the novel "Scarlett". How important is money to Scarlett? How does she use money to get what she wants? Does money ever cause problems for Scarlett?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Scarlett's growth as a character. How does she grow throughout the novel? How was she able to do this? How does it change her relationship with Rhett?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)