|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Rhett in Chapter 16?
2. What does Rhett tell Scarlett he will stop doing if she remains in Charleston?
3. What will Rosemary be touring soon, as of Chapter 22?
4. What does Scarlett realize she has to stop doing in Chapter 9?
5. Who tries to throw himself in a grave in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 10, who does Scarlett go to stay with in Charleston? Who do Scarlett's hosts announce that they intend to visit? Why do people in Charleston have to walk everywhere?
2. What gives Scarlett an opportunity to contact her estranged husband, Rhett?
3. What promises does Rhett make to Mammy before she dies? What does Rhett tell Scarlett after making his promises?
4. In Chapter 6, what makes Scarlett think Ashley's business is in trouble? What does she decide to do to help him?
5. What causes a stir among the mourners in Chapter 1?
6. What disgusts Scarlett about the plantation Rhett is running? What potential does Scarlett see at Rhett's phosphate mine?
7. How does Rhett feel about Scarlett's presence in Charleston? Why does he say he won't ask her to leave?
8. Where does Scarlett ask Rhett to take her in Chapter 29? In Chapter 30, what trouble do Scarlett and Rhett get into?
9. Who is missing from the party that greets Scarlett at Tara?
10. What does Rhett advise Scarlett to do if she wants to fit in in Charleston?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Scarlett's growth as a character. How does she grow throughout the novel? How was she able to do this? How does it change her relationship with Rhett?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the conclusion of the novel "Scarlett". What happens at the end of the novel? Are there any unanswered questions? Why might Ripley have chosen to end the novel when she did?
Essay Topic 3
What is the genre of the novel "Scarlett"? What are some examples of other works of this genre? What are the characteristics of this genre? What are some examples of these characteristics in "Scarlett"?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)