|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Rhett and Ross hide at Rhett's plantation in Chapter 19?
2. What does Scarlett realize about Rosemary in Chapter 25?
3. How does Middleton's wife react to his budding romance with Scarlett?
4. What does Scarlett note about the house she attends a ball at in Chapter 21?
5. According to Rhett, when will he return to Charleston, as of Chapter 32?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ross do to Scarlett when he returns home one night after drinking? How does Scarlett react?
2. In Chapter 14, how is the aloofness of the citizens of Charleston explained?
3. In Chapter 6, what makes Scarlett think Ashley's business is in trouble? What does she decide to do to help him?
4. What disgusts Scarlett about the plantation Rhett is running? What potential does Scarlett see at Rhett's phosphate mine?
5. What causes a stir among the mourners in Chapter 1?
6. In Chapter 18, what does Rhett offer Scarlett to get her to leave Charleston? When does Scarlett agree to leave?
7. In Chapter 10, who does Scarlett go to stay with in Charleston? Who do Scarlett's hosts announce that they intend to visit? Why do people in Charleston have to walk everywhere?
8. In Chapter 3, what is preventing repairs from being done at Tara? For what reason does Scarlett offer to pay Suellen a stipend?
9. Why does Scarlett volunteer to chaperone Rosemary on a visit to Rhett's plantation?
10. What does Scarlett resolve to stop doing in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the conclusion of the novel "Scarlett". What happens at the end of the novel? Are there any unanswered questions? Why might Ripley have chosen to end the novel when she did?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the love triangle between Scarlett, Rhett and Anne, as well as the love triangle between Scarlett, Rhett and Luke. How do Anne and Luke affect the relationship between Scarlett and Rhett? Do they ever pose a real threat to Scarlett's relationship with Rhett?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of reputation in the novel "Scarlett". Why is one's reputation so important during this time period and place? What connection can be made between the importance of one's reputation and Scarlett's social class? What are some examples of times when Scarlett's reputation is in jeopardy? How does Rhett save the day?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)