|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rhett call Scarlett a barbarian in Chapter 17?
2. What must Rhett help Scarlett do before she will agree to leave Charleston?
3. What does Scarlett learn while visiting Henry Hamilton's office in Chapter 5?
4. What is Tara?
5. Why does Scarlett agree to be Rosemary's chaperone in Chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Scarlett ask Rhett to take her in Chapter 29? In Chapter 30, what trouble do Scarlett and Rhett get into?
2. Why does Scarlett volunteer to chaperone Rosemary on a visit to Rhett's plantation?
3. Why does Maureen laugh about Scarlett's grandfather ruining his birthday dinner?
4. What gives Scarlett an opportunity to contact her estranged husband, Rhett?
5. What causes a stir among the mourners in Chapter 1?
6. How does Scarlett relate to the workers at Ballyhara in Chapter 59?
7. In Chapter 51, what does Scarlett hate about the guests at the party thrown in her honor?
8. What disgusts Scarlett about the plantation Rhett is running? What potential does Scarlett see at Rhett's phosphate mine?
9. What causes Scarlett to leave Tara in Chapter 4? Why does she leave Pansy behind?
10. In Chapter 6, what makes Scarlett think Ashley's business is in trouble? What does she decide to do to help him?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the O'Haras involvement with the Fenian Brotherhood. What is the Fenian Brotherhood? To what extent is Colum involved with this organization? How does his involvement affect Scarlett?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Scarlett's business mind. What are the businesses that Scarlett is involved with? How does she use her business sense to help others? Would it have been normal for a woman, particularly of her status, to be in business?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the character Scarlett. What are her defining character traits? What struggles and obstacles does she face throughout the novel? What are her goals and motives?
This section contains 1,511 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)