|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scarlett note about the house she attends a ball at in Chapter 21?
2. How does Rhett react to Scarlett's budding romance with Middleton?
3. What are the names of Scarlett's children who are at Tara?
4. Who does Rhett pick up from the train station in Chapter 19?
5. Why is Scarlett unable to visit her children at Christmas in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 4, what does Scarlett ask Suellen not to gossip about to others?
2. Where does Rhett tell Mrs. Cooper he will take Tommy? Where does he actually take Tommy?
3. In Chapter 14, how is the aloofness of the citizens of Charleston explained?
4. In Chapter 18, what does Rhett offer Scarlett to get her to leave Charleston? When does Scarlett agree to leave?
5. What causes Scarlett to leave Tara in Chapter 4? Why does she leave Pansy behind?
6. In Chapter 10, who does Scarlett go to stay with in Charleston? Who do Scarlett's hosts announce that they intend to visit? Why do people in Charleston have to walk everywhere?
7. What gives Scarlett an opportunity to contact her estranged husband, Rhett?
8. What does Scarlett arrange for India at her store in Chapter 6?
9. In Chapter 3, what is preventing repairs from being done at Tara? For what reason does Scarlett offer to pay Suellen a stipend?
10. What does Rhett advise Scarlett to do if she wants to fit in in Charleston?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the different archetypes found in the novel "Scarlett". What are some different types of archetypes and which can be found in the novel? What type of heroine is Scarlett? What type of hero is Rhett?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author of the novel "Scarlett", Alexandria Ripley. What other books has she written? Why was she chosen to write the sequel to the immensely popular "Gone with the Wind"? How was her work received by critics?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the love triangle between Scarlett, Rhett and Anne, as well as the love triangle between Scarlett, Rhett and Luke. How do Anne and Luke affect the relationship between Scarlett and Rhett? Do they ever pose a real threat to Scarlett's relationship with Rhett?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)