|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rhett offer Scarlett to leave Charleston in Chapter 18?
2. What city does Scarlett live in in Chapter 1?
3. What will Rosemary be touring soon, as of Chapter 22?
4. What does Scarlett decide to do to help Ashley's business in Chapter 6?
5. What indicates to Scarlett that Ashley's lumber business is in trouble in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scarlett think of Eleanor Butler? How does Scarlett end up staying with Eleanor?
2. Why does Colum jump from the carriage in Chapter 49?
3. Who does Mrs. Fitzpatrick send for when Scarlett's labor becomes difficult? Who delivers Scarlett's baby?
4. Why does Maureen laugh about Scarlett's grandfather ruining his birthday dinner?
5. For what reasons does Rhett tell Rosemary he must get away from Scarlett?
6. What does Scarlett resolve to stop doing in Chapter 9?
7. What causes a stir among the mourners in Chapter 1?
8. How does Scarlett relate to the workers at Ballyhara in Chapter 59?
9. What promises does Rhett make to Mammy before she dies? What does Rhett tell Scarlett after making his promises?
10. What happens when Scarlett and Colum visit a fair in Chapter 52, and how does Scarlett feel about the event?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Scarlett's relationship with her children. Who are her children and how does she treat them? How do they treat her? What does the reader know about her children's upbringing? In your opinion, is Scarlett a good mother? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "Scarlett". Who are the members of Scarlett's family? Who are the members of Rhett's family? How important is family to Scarlett? What obstacles does Scarlett face because of her family?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the conclusion of the novel "Scarlett". What happens at the end of the novel? Are there any unanswered questions? Why might Ripley have chosen to end the novel when she did?
This section contains 1,460 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)