Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Scarlett's impression of Eleanor Butler when she meets her for the first time?
2. Why does Scarlett prepare to leave Tara in Chapter 4?
3. When Scarlett finds Ashley's house closed up in Chapter 5, where does she go to find him?
4. What story involving criminal behavior does Scarlett hear in Chapter 16?
5. Why is Tara unable to be repaired in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Scarlett to lose her joy of working on Ballyhara?
2. What stories circulate about the baby Scarlett just gave birth to?
3. What does Scarlett resolve to stop doing in Chapter 9?
4. Why does Scarlett set out to make the Earl of Fenton fall in love with her? Why does Luke want to marry Scarlett?
5. How does Scarlett earn respect in the community when she returns to Ireland?
6. In Chapter 26, what does Scarlett agree to leave Charleston and Rhett in return for?
7. How does Rhett feel about Scarlett's presence in Charleston? Why does he say he won't ask her to leave?
8. What does Scarlett give to Colum when they arrive in Ireland?
9. Who does Mrs. Fitzpatrick send for when Scarlett's labor becomes difficult? Who delivers Scarlett's baby?
10. Who does Scarlett encounter at the Drogheda fair?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Scarlett's epiphany in section 5. What does Scarlett come to realize when she hears that Rhett has remarried? How does this information change her? How does it change her behavior towards Rhett?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of money in the novel "Scarlett". How important is money to Scarlett? How does she use money to get what she wants? Does money ever cause problems for Scarlett?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the love triangle between Scarlett, Rhett and Anne, as well as the love triangle between Scarlett, Rhett and Luke. How do Anne and Luke affect the relationship between Scarlett and Rhett? Do they ever pose a real threat to Scarlett's relationship with Rhett?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)