|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rhett visit Alicia Savage in Chapter 18?
2. Who is Sister Mary Joseph?
3. According to Rhett, what must Scarlett do to her clothes to fit in with Charleston society?
4. What group visits Eleanor's home in Chapter 11?
5. According to Rhett, when will he return to Charleston, as of Chapter 32?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 10, who does Scarlett go to stay with in Charleston? Who do Scarlett's hosts announce that they intend to visit? Why do people in Charleston have to walk everywhere?
2. What causes a stir among the mourners in Chapter 1?
3. Why does Scarlett volunteer to chaperone Rosemary on a visit to Rhett's plantation?
4. What does Rhett advise Scarlett to do if she wants to fit in in Charleston?
5. What causes Scarlett to leave Tara in Chapter 4? Why does she leave Pansy behind?
6. Who greets Rhett, Scarlett and Rosemary at the plantation in Chapter 23?
7. How does Scarlett earn Sally's respect in Chapter 15?
8. Where does Rhett tell Mrs. Cooper he will take Tommy? Where does he actually take Tommy?
9. What does Scarlett arrange for India at her store in Chapter 6?
10. How does Rhett feel about Scarlett's presence in Charleston? Why does he say he won't ask her to leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Scarlett and Rhett. What ups and downs do they experience during their relationship? Are they well-suited for one another? Why or why not? What keeps them apart throughout the novel? What brings them together?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Scarlett's business mind. What are the businesses that Scarlett is involved with? How does she use her business sense to help others? Would it have been normal for a woman, particularly of her status, to be in business?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of jealousy in the novel "Scarlett". Who is jealous of whom and why? Does this jealousy affect the behavior of the jealous? Do they have reason to be jealous?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)