|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Scarlett prepare to leave Tara in Chapter 4?
2. What instruction has Rhett left at Scarlett's household in Atlanta in Chapter 5?
3. What is the title of the second section of the novel?
4. Where do Eleanor and Scarlett go after waking early in Chapter 11?
5. What does Scarlett realize she has to stop doing in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who greets Rhett, Scarlett and Rosemary at the plantation in Chapter 23?
2. Who is missing from the party that greets Scarlett at Tara?
3. In Chapter 10, who does Scarlett go to stay with in Charleston? Who do Scarlett's hosts announce that they intend to visit? Why do people in Charleston have to walk everywhere?
4. What prevents Scarlett from visiting her children at Christmas? What does she decide to do instead?
5. What does Scarlett arrange for India at her store in Chapter 6?
6. What is Scarlett's response when Eleanor asks her if she wants another child?
7. In Chapter 14, how is the aloofness of the citizens of Charleston explained?
8. In Chapter 4, what does Scarlett ask Suellen not to gossip about to others?
9. For what reasons does Rhett tell Rosemary he must get away from Scarlett?
10. Why does Scarlett volunteer to chaperone Rosemary on a visit to Rhett's plantation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the O'Haras involvement with the Fenian Brotherhood. What is the Fenian Brotherhood? To what extent is Colum involved with this organization? How does his involvement affect Scarlett?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the character Scarlett. What are her defining character traits? What struggles and obstacles does she face throughout the novel? What are her goals and motives?
Essay Topic 3
What is the genre of the novel "Scarlett"? What are some examples of other works of this genre? What are the characteristics of this genre? What are some examples of these characteristics in "Scarlett"?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)