|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rhett call Scarlett a barbarian in Chapter 17?
2. What does Emma notice about Anne Hampton in Chapter 12?
3. Where do Rhett and Scarlett stop on their return to Charleston in Chapter 17?
4. Why is Tara unable to be repaired in Chapter 3?
5. Why are all outsiders no longer welcomed in Charleston?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scarlett resolve to stop doing in Chapter 9?
2. In Chapter 10, who does Scarlett go to stay with in Charleston? Who do Scarlett's hosts announce that they intend to visit? Why do people in Charleston have to walk everywhere?
3. In Chapter 14, how is the aloofness of the citizens of Charleston explained?
4. What does Scarlett think of Eleanor Butler? How does Scarlett end up staying with Eleanor?
5. What disgusts Scarlett about the plantation Rhett is running? What potential does Scarlett see at Rhett's phosphate mine?
6. What promises does Rhett make to Mammy before she dies? What does Rhett tell Scarlett after making his promises?
7. What causes Scarlett to leave Tara in Chapter 4? Why does she leave Pansy behind?
8. Why does Scarlett volunteer to chaperone Rosemary on a visit to Rhett's plantation?
9. What prevents Scarlett from visiting her children at Christmas? What does she decide to do instead?
10. In Chapter 4, what does Scarlett ask Suellen not to gossip about to others?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the character Scarlett. What are her defining character traits? What struggles and obstacles does she face throughout the novel? What are her goals and motives?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the character Rhett Butler. What are his defining character traits? What struggles and obstacles does he face throughout the novel? What does the reader learn about his background and family life? Is he a good father? Husband?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the love triangle between Scarlett, Rhett and Anne, as well as the love triangle between Scarlett, Rhett and Luke. How do Anne and Luke affect the relationship between Scarlett and Rhett? Do they ever pose a real threat to Scarlett's relationship with Rhett?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)