Chapters One through Eight
• Scarlett is at the burial of Melanie Wilkes - she stops Ashley Wilkes from throwing himself into the grave in such a way that it causes a stir among the mourners.
• Scarlett goes to Tara, her childhood home, where her children are living. She finds that Mammy is dying.
• Mammy asks to see Rhett, giving Scarlett an opportunity to contact her estranged husband.
• Rhett arrives and leaves right after Mammy dies.
• Scarlett returns to Atlanta and finds Rhett has instructed that her bills be paid by his attorneys - she takes this as a sign that he still loves her.
• Scarlett decides to build some houses using supplies from Ashley's store in order to help his business.
• At Christmas Scarlett cannot see her children because they have chickenpox - instead she goes to a masquerade ball where she sees Rhett.
Chapters Nine through Seventeen
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)