|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What differences do the two friends have?
2. Why does the narrator scream at Selam?
3. What is the setting of the story?
4. What was Jubril's punishment for stealing a goat?
5. Which of the following is NOT something the soldier threatens to do if he is forced off the bus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ban by the Nigerian government takes place just prior to the opening of the story, "Luxurious Hearses"?
2. What does the Chief signify in the story?
3. Who is Jubril and why must he disguise his religious identity aboard a bus headed out of the city?i
4. What does the narrator do during the days after being restricted from playing with Selam?
5. What is the core source of all the violence that takes place in the story?
6. Who are the narrator and Selam and what is their relationship?
7. Why does Akpan choose second person narration for the story?
8. How do the narrator and Selam find a way to communicate with each other when they are not allowed to play together?
9. What is the message of the story at the end?
10. What is the unifying thread of the conflicts in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Jubril in "Luxurious Hearses (Nigeria)". What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Jubril?
Essay Topic 2
Loss seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of loss? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Select an instance of symbolism from one of the stories and explain its significance.
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)