|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the best friend of the person in #74?
2. The chief offers some crackers to Jubril on what condition?
3. What does a nosy woman on the bus ask Jubril?
4. What does the narrator see Selam doing at her apartment one night?
5. Why does the person in #115 yell at Jubril?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the unifying thread of the conflicts in the story?
2. What is the core source of all the violence that takes place in the story?
3. What elements of Western life are uncomfortable for Jubril while on the bus?
4. Who is Hadiya and how does she impact the relationship between the narrator and Selam?
5. What does the Chief signify in the story?
6. What is at the base of all the trivial conflicts in the story?
7. What does the narrator do during the days after being restricted from playing with Selam?
8. How had Jubril lost his right hand and why is it important for him to hide that fact while on the bus?
9. What ban by the Nigerian government takes place just prior to the opening of the story, "Luxurious Hearses"?
10. What is the main point of the story, "What Language is That"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters in the stories who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Evil is an important theme in the stories. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of the narrator in "What Language is That? (Ethiopia)". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about the little narrator?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)