|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days does the narrator watch Selam's apartment building?
2. Who tells this story?
3. Which of the following is NOT something the narrator likes about her best friend?
4. How did Yusuf die?
5. What was Jubril's punishment for stealing a goat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the narrator and Selam no longer allowed to play together?
2. What is the main point of the story, "What Language is That"?
3. What does the narrator experience on the day her parents inform her she can no longer play with Selam?
4. What ban by the Nigerian government takes place just prior to the opening of the story, "Luxurious Hearses"?
5. Why are the passengers on the bus infused with a sense of urgency?
6. What is the unifying thread of the conflicts in the story?
7. What is the message of the story at the end?
8. What is at the base of all the trivial conflicts in the story?
9. Who is Jubril and why must he disguise his religious identity aboard a bus headed out of the city?i
10. What does the narrator do during the days after being restricted from playing with Selam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in Africa in the late-20th century when the women in the stories are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Akpan decided to tell these stories from the point of view of children. Are the events in the stories especially horrifying because the innocence of children is involved?
Essay Topic 3
Loss seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of loss? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)