|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What place does Selam have in her family?
2. Who is the best friend of the person in #74?
3. What does a nosy woman on the bus ask Jubril?
4. Jubril buys a ticket on which bus line to take him out of the city to his father's village?
5. The narrator and her best friend vacation with ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the policemen who take the sick man off the bus represent the corruption that exists in the country?
2. What is the unifying thread of the conflicts in the story?
3. Who is Jubril and why must he disguise his religious identity aboard a bus headed out of the city?i
4. How had Jubril lost his right hand and why is it important for him to hide that fact while on the bus?
5. How does Akpan's choice of second person narration affect the reader?
6. Who is Hadiya and how does she impact the relationship between the narrator and Selam?
7. What does the Chief signify in the story?
8. How do the narrator and Selam find a way to communicate with each other when they are not allowed to play together?
9. What is the main point of the story, "What Language is That"?
10. What is the core source of all the violence that takes place in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Monique in "My Parents' Bedroom (Rwanda)". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Monique?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Maisha in "An Ex-Mas Feast (Kenya)". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Maisha?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)