|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the narrator's parents no longer want her to play with a certain girl?
2. The narrator and her best friend vacation with ___________________.
3. What does the narrator see Selam doing at her apartment one night?
4. What does the soldier carry onto the bus?
5. One day, the narrator's parents inform her that she can no longer spend time with whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the narrator and Selam and what is their relationship?
2. What is the main point of the story, "What Language is That"?
3. What is the unifying thread of the conflicts in the story?
4. How does Jubril disguise his being a Muslim while on the bus?
5. How does Akpan's choice of second person narration affect the reader?
6. Who is Jubril and why must he disguise his religious identity aboard a bus headed out of the city?i
7. What is the core source of all the violence that takes place in the story?
8. Why are the passengers on the bus infused with a sense of urgency?
9. Why does Akpan choose second person narration for the story?
10. What is notable about the story "What Language is That?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Fofo Kpee in "Fattening for Gabon (Benin)". What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Fofo Kpee?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in Africa in the late-20th century when the women in the stories are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)