|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator's father tell Selam?
2. What does the narrator see Selam doing at her apartment one night?
3. What does Jubril fear will reveal that he is a Muslim?
4. The narrator's parents no longer want her to play with whom?
5. Why does the narrator scream at Selam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the unifying thread of the conflicts in the story?
2. What does the Chief signify in the story?
3. Why are the passengers on the bus infused with a sense of urgency?
4. How had Jubril lost his right hand and why is it important for him to hide that fact while on the bus?
5. How do the narrator and Selam find a way to communicate with each other when they are not allowed to play together?
6. What ban by the Nigerian government takes place just prior to the opening of the story, "Luxurious Hearses"?
7. How does Jubril disguise his being a Muslim while on the bus?
8. What is notable about the story "What Language is That?"
9. What is the narrator's father's advice to Selam regarding eating pork?
10. Why are the narrator and Selam no longer allowed to play together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Akpan decided to tell these stories from the point of view of children. Are the events in the stories especially horrifying because the innocence of children is involved?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of the narrator in "What Language is That? (Ethiopia)". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about the little narrator?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the stories. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)