|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the bus passengers side with Jubril against the village chief?
2. What does the narrator's father tell Selam?
3. Emeka points out Jubril as being a ______________.
4. The narrator and her best friend vacation with ___________________.
5. How many. pages is this short story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the narrator and Selam no longer allowed to play together?
2. What is the message of the story at the end?
3. Why does Akpan choose second person narration for the story?
4. What does the narrator experience on the day her parents inform her she can no longer play with Selam?
5. Who is Jubril and why must he disguise his religious identity aboard a bus headed out of the city?i
6. Who is Hadiya and how does she impact the relationship between the narrator and Selam?
7. What ban by the Nigerian government takes place just prior to the opening of the story, "Luxurious Hearses"?
8. How had Jubril lost his right hand and why is it important for him to hide that fact while on the bus?
9. What is the main point of the story, "What Language is That"?
10. How does Akpan's choice of second person narration affect the reader?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the stories. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the family in Akpan's stories.. What does it mean for some of the characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How are some of the families fractured? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Jubril in "Luxurious Hearses (Nigeria)". What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Jubril?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)