|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The chief orders the passengers on the bus to not mention the word ________________ on the trip.
2. The soldier wants to be a farmer or a ____________________.
3. Jubril was baptized into which religion?
4. What place does the narrator have in her family?
5. What is the setting of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Akpan choose second person narration for the story?
2. Who is Jubril and why must he disguise his religious identity aboard a bus headed out of the city?i
3. What is the message of the story at the end?
4. Why are the passengers on the bus infused with a sense of urgency?
5. What does the narrator do during the days after being restricted from playing with Selam?
6. What is at the base of all the trivial conflicts in the story?
7. How do the narrator and Selam find a way to communicate with each other when they are not allowed to play together?
8. What is the unifying thread of the conflicts in the story?
9. What is the main point of the story, "What Language is That"?
10. Who is Hadiya and how does she impact the relationship between the narrator and Selam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Fofo Kpee in "Fattening for Gabon (Benin)". What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Fofo Kpee?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Maisha in "An Ex-Mas Feast (Kenya)". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Maisha?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)