|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One day, the narrator's parents inform her that she can no longer spend time with whom?
2. This story is told from which point of view?
3. What does the narrator do when she first sees Selam at her apartment?
4. One day, the narrator smells ________________ in the apartment.
5. Why is the bus unable to leave as scheduled?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the narrator and Selam find a way to communicate with each other when they are not allowed to play together?
2. How is the story, "What Language is That"? different from the other stories in this book?
3. What is the main point of the story, "What Language is That"?
4. Who are the narrator and Selam and what is their relationship?
5. How had Jubril lost his right hand and why is it important for him to hide that fact while on the bus?
6. Why are the passengers on the bus infused with a sense of urgency?
7. What is the core source of all the violence that takes place in the story?
8. What ban by the Nigerian government takes place just prior to the opening of the story, "Luxurious Hearses"?
9. What does the Chief signify in the story?
10. What does the narrator do during the days after being restricted from playing with Selam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Fofo Kpee in "Fattening for Gabon (Benin)". What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Fofo Kpee?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast one of Akpan's characters to someone you know in your life. Which qualities do they share? What makes them so alike? Do you like the characteristics of the two? Do they have any qualities you would like to emulate? Do you respect them? How do they differ? Explain.
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)