|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jubril buys a ticket on which bus line to take him out of the city to his father's village?
2. Who saves Jubril after he has passed out in a field?
3. What is the narrator looking for at Selam's apartment building?
4. The chief orders the passengers on the bus to not mention the word ________________ on the trip.
5. As the story begins, the Nigerian government places a ban on the transportation of _________________ from one end of the country to another.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the unifying thread of the conflicts in the story?
2. Who are the narrator and Selam and what is their relationship?
3. How do the narrator and Selam find a way to communicate with each other when they are not allowed to play together?
4. What is the narrator's father's advice to Selam regarding eating pork?
5. What does the narrator do during the days after being restricted from playing with Selam?
6. How had Jubril lost his right hand and why is it important for him to hide that fact while on the bus?
7. How is the story, "What Language is That"? different from the other stories in this book?
8. Who is Jubril and why must he disguise his religious identity aboard a bus headed out of the city?i
9. What is at the base of all the trivial conflicts in the story?
10. Why are the narrator and Selam no longer allowed to play together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Fofo Kpee in "Fattening for Gabon (Benin)". What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Fofo Kpee?
Essay Topic 2
Choose three characters from different stories and then project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for their lives. Be sure to include geography, marital status, work, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Uwem Akpan is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony. Briefly describe each and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)