|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the chief drop into Jubril's lap?
2. Who is Yusuf?
3. What was Jubril's punishment for stealing a goat?
4. What does the narrator note about the streets outside the apartment?
5. What does a nosy woman on the bus ask Jubril?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the core source of all the violence that takes place in the story?
2. What is the narrator's father's advice to Selam regarding eating pork?
3. What ban by the Nigerian government takes place just prior to the opening of the story, "Luxurious Hearses"?
4. What is notable about the story "What Language is That?"
5. Why does Akpan choose second person narration for the story?
6. How do the narrator and Selam find a way to communicate with each other when they are not allowed to play together?
7. How had Jubril lost his right hand and why is it important for him to hide that fact while on the bus?
8. What is the unifying thread of the conflicts in the story?
9. How does Jubril disguise his being a Muslim while on the bus?
10. How is the story, "What Language is That"? different from the other stories in this book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters in the stories who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Monique in "My Parents' Bedroom (Rwanda)". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Monique?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the family in Akpan's stories.. What does it mean for some of the characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How are some of the families fractured? Give examples.
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)