|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator note about the streets outside the apartment?
2. One day, the narrator's parents inform her that she can no longer spend time with whom?
3. What is Jubril's religion?
4. Which of the following is NOT something the soldier threatens to do if he is forced off the bus?
5. Who says, "Best friends don't quarrel" when Selam begins to cry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Hadiya and how does she impact the relationship between the narrator and Selam?
2. How does Jubril disguise his being a Muslim while on the bus?
3. Who is Jubril and why must he disguise his religious identity aboard a bus headed out of the city?i
4. What does the Chief signify in the story?
5. How had Jubril lost his right hand and why is it important for him to hide that fact while on the bus?
6. What is the main point of the story, "What Language is That"?
7. What is the narrator's father's advice to Selam regarding eating pork?
8. How does Akpan's choice of second person narration affect the reader?
9. What is notable about the story "What Language is That?"
10. What does the narrator do during the days after being restricted from playing with Selam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast one of Akpan's characters to someone you know in your life. Which qualities do they share? What makes them so alike? Do you like the characteristics of the two? Do they have any qualities you would like to emulate? Do you respect them? How do they differ? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Loss seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of loss? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of the narrator in "What Language is That? (Ethiopia)". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about the little narrator?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)