|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A man named Emeka takes care of another man who has ___________________.
2. What place does the narrator have in her family?
3. Which of the following is NOT something the narrator likes about her best friend?
4. During one vacation, Selam asks the narrator ___________________________.
5. What had a girl named Hadiya told Selam at school one day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Chief signify in the story?
2. Who are the narrator and Selam and what is their relationship?
3. How had Jubril lost his right hand and why is it important for him to hide that fact while on the bus?
4. Who is Jubril and why must he disguise his religious identity aboard a bus headed out of the city?i
5. What is the main point of the story, "What Language is That"?
6. What is the narrator's father's advice to Selam regarding eating pork?
7. What ban by the Nigerian government takes place just prior to the opening of the story, "Luxurious Hearses"?
8. How is the story, "What Language is That"? different from the other stories in this book?
9. What is the message of the story at the end?
10. Why are the narrator and Selam no longer allowed to play together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the family in Akpan's stories.. What does it mean for some of the characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How are some of the families fractured? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Uwem Akpan is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony. Briefly describe each and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Who are two of Akpan's characters in this book who appeal to you the most? What is it about these characters that you like? What are their weaknesses? How about redeeming qualities? Are Akpan's characters believable in your opinion? Explain.
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)