|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator and her best friend ______________________.
2. What candy do the two friends like to eat?
3. How many. pages is this short story?
4. Why does Jubril not watch the televisions on the bus?
5. The soldier wants to be a farmer or a ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What ban by the Nigerian government takes place just prior to the opening of the story, "Luxurious Hearses"?
2. How does Jubril disguise his being a Muslim while on the bus?
3. How is the story, "What Language is That"? different from the other stories in this book?
4. What is the main point of the story, "What Language is That"?
5. Who is Jubril and why must he disguise his religious identity aboard a bus headed out of the city?i
6. What is notable about the story "What Language is That?"
7. What does the narrator do during the days after being restricted from playing with Selam?
8. What is the message of the story at the end?
9. How had Jubril lost his right hand and why is it important for him to hide that fact while on the bus?
10. How do the narrator and Selam find a way to communicate with each other when they are not allowed to play together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose three characters from different stories and then project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for their lives. Be sure to include geography, marital status, work, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the stories. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in Africa in the late-20th century when the women in the stories are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)