|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days does the narrator watch Selam's apartment building?
2. Jubril buys a ticket on which bus line to take him out of the city to his father's village?
3. Why do the bus passengers side with Jubril against the village chief?
4. What is an emir?
5. What does the narrator's father tell Selam?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Akpan's choice of second person narration affect the reader?
2. How had Jubril lost his right hand and why is it important for him to hide that fact while on the bus?
3. Why are the passengers on the bus infused with a sense of urgency?
4. How does Jubril disguise his being a Muslim while on the bus?
5. What is the narrator's father's advice to Selam regarding eating pork?
6. How do the narrator and Selam find a way to communicate with each other when they are not allowed to play together?
7. What is the message of the story at the end?
8. What does the Chief signify in the story?
9. What is at the base of all the trivial conflicts in the story?
10. Why does Akpan choose second person narration for the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of the narrator in "What Language is That? (Ethiopia)". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about the little narrator?
Essay Topic 2
Who are two of Akpan's characters in this book who appeal to you the most? What is it about these characters that you like? What are their weaknesses? How about redeeming qualities? Are Akpan's characters believable in your opinion? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What is the overall setting for the stories in the book? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Akpan choose to use these places in the stories?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)