|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The chief offers some crackers to Jubril on what condition?
2. Why does the narrator scream at Selam?
3. The narrator and her best friend ______________________.
4. Why does Jubril not watch the televisions on the bus?
5. Emeka points out Jubril as being a ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Jubril and why must he disguise his religious identity aboard a bus headed out of the city?i
2. What is the core source of all the violence that takes place in the story?
3. How is the story, "What Language is That"? different from the other stories in this book?
4. How had Jubril lost his right hand and why is it important for him to hide that fact while on the bus?
5. Who is Hadiya and how does she impact the relationship between the narrator and Selam?
6. Who are the narrator and Selam and what is their relationship?
7. How do the policemen who take the sick man off the bus represent the corruption that exists in the country?
8. What is the main point of the story, "What Language is That"?
9. Why are the passengers on the bus infused with a sense of urgency?
10. What elements of Western life are uncomfortable for Jubril while on the bus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Maisha in "An Ex-Mas Feast (Kenya)". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Maisha?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Monique in "My Parents' Bedroom (Rwanda)". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Monique?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters in the stories who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)