|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting of the story?
2. During the Christian and Muslim riots, Jubril was beaten and _________________________.
3. What does the narrator note about the streets outside the apartment?
4. Why is the soldier anxious to reach the village?
5. In what country does the story take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the narrator's father's advice to Selam regarding eating pork?
2. What is the message of the story at the end?
3. How does Akpan's choice of second person narration affect the reader?
4. How is the story, "What Language is That"? different from the other stories in this book?
5. What does the narrator do during the days after being restricted from playing with Selam?
6. What elements of Western life are uncomfortable for Jubril while on the bus?
7. Who is Hadiya and how does she impact the relationship between the narrator and Selam?
8. Who are the narrator and Selam and what is their relationship?
9. What is notable about the story "What Language is That?"
10. How do the narrator and Selam find a way to communicate with each other when they are not allowed to play together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evil is an important theme in the stories. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in Africa in the late-20th century when the women in the stories are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
Choose three characters from different stories and then project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for their lives. Be sure to include geography, marital status, work, socialization, etc.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)