|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One day, the narrator's parents inform her that she can no longer spend time with whom?
2. Why does the person in #115 yell at Jubril?
3. Emeka points out Jubril as being a ______________.
4. The narrator and her best friend vacation with ___________________.
5. What candy do the two friends like to eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the policemen who take the sick man off the bus represent the corruption that exists in the country?
2. What elements of Western life are uncomfortable for Jubril while on the bus?
3. What is notable about the story "What Language is That?"
4. What is the narrator's father's advice to Selam regarding eating pork?
5. What is the unifying thread of the conflicts in the story?
6. What does the narrator do during the days after being restricted from playing with Selam?
7. Who is Hadiya and how does she impact the relationship between the narrator and Selam?
8. Why are the narrator and Selam no longer allowed to play together?
9. How does Akpan's choice of second person narration affect the reader?
10. What ban by the Nigerian government takes place just prior to the opening of the story, "Luxurious Hearses"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Uwem Akpan's writing style. How does he deliver information? How does he develop characters? What is the general tone of his stories? What is the most appealing aspect of Akpan's writing for you? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
What is the overall setting for the stories in the book? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Akpan choose to use these places in the stories?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters in the stories who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)