|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The soldier wants to be a farmer or a ____________________.
2. What is Jubril's religion?
3. Why is Jubril uncomfortable around the women on the bus?
4. Who saves Jubril after he has passed out in a field?
5. What does the soldier carry onto the bus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ban by the Nigerian government takes place just prior to the opening of the story, "Luxurious Hearses"?
2. What is the message of the story at the end?
3. What is the unifying thread of the conflicts in the story?
4. What is the narrator's father's advice to Selam regarding eating pork?
5. What is at the base of all the trivial conflicts in the story?
6. What is the core source of all the violence that takes place in the story?
7. What elements of Western life are uncomfortable for Jubril while on the bus?
8. Who is Hadiya and how does she impact the relationship between the narrator and Selam?
9. What is notable about the story "What Language is That?"
10. How do the narrator and Selam find a way to communicate with each other when they are not allowed to play together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of the narrator in "What Language is That? (Ethiopia)". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about the little narrator?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Jubril in "Luxurious Hearses (Nigeria)". What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Jubril?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Monique in "My Parents' Bedroom (Rwanda)". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Monique?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)