|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jubril buys a ticket on which bus line to take him out of the city to his father's village?
2. Why does Jubril not watch the televisions on the bus?
3. As the story begins, the Nigerian government places a ban on the transportation of _________________ from one end of the country to another.
4. Which of the following do the Christian rebels NOT do to the person who is sheltering Jubril?
5. What place does Selam have in her family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Chief signify in the story?
2. Why are the passengers on the bus infused with a sense of urgency?
3. What is the main point of the story, "What Language is That"?
4. Why does Akpan choose second person narration for the story?
5. What is the narrator's father's advice to Selam regarding eating pork?
6. What is the unifying thread of the conflicts in the story?
7. How had Jubril lost his right hand and why is it important for him to hide that fact while on the bus?
8. What does the narrator experience on the day her parents inform her she can no longer play with Selam?
9. What is the message of the story at the end?
10. Who is Jubril and why must he disguise his religious identity aboard a bus headed out of the city?i
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Loss seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of loss? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
Evil is an important theme in the stories. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Jubril in "Luxurious Hearses (Nigeria)". What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Jubril?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)