|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the guard force the children to do?
2. Which is NOT one of the things that Jinga does when Maisha leaves?
3. Which of the following is NOT something Maisha had when she left for work a few days ago?
4. What does Big Guy promise to give the gravediggers?
5. What treats does Fofo Kpee give to the children?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Fofo store his acquired goods and why are they really useless?
2. Why is Maisha a prostitute at the age of twelve?
3. What are the reasons that Jigana tears up his school items and runs away from the family?
4. Who are Kotchikpa and Yewa?
5. What does the motorcycle symbolize in the story?
6. Why would Kotchikpa think that the motorcycle is a reward from God?
7. Who are the members of Jigana's family?
8. Why does Jigana get special treatment in the family?
9. What role does Maisha play in the family and why do her parents resent her?
10. What is the true extent of Mama's gratitude toward Maisha when she gets on her knees to thank her daughter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the stories. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Select an instance of symbolism from one of the stories and explain its significance.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Maisha in "An Ex-Mas Feast (Kenya)". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Maisha?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)