|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Baba do to the taxi driver?
2. Why does the person in #61 begin to shake Fofo and yell at him?
3. What do the twins drink until they get sick?
4. Which of the following does Mama NOT do when Maisha smiles at her?
5. Mama thanks Maisha for _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are Kotchikpa and Yewa?
2. How does Fofo Kpee explain the delivery of the new motorcycle to the children?
3. What real life issue in Africa does this story address?
4. Who is Fofo Kpee?
5. Why does Jigana get special treatment in the family?
6. Why do Mama and Papa encourage their children to sniff glue and drink alcohol?
7. What is the importance of "the bad night" when Fofo masturbates in front of the children?
8. What are the reasons that Jigana tears up his school items and runs away from the family?
9. What treats does Fofo Kpee give to the children and what do they think is the occasion for the goodies?
10. Who are the members of Jigana's family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Maisha in "An Ex-Mas Feast (Kenya)". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Maisha?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Jubril in "Luxurious Hearses (Nigeria)". What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Jubril?
Essay Topic 3
Who are two of Akpan's characters in this book who appeal to you the most? What is it about these characters that you like? What are their weaknesses? How about redeeming qualities? Are Akpan's characters believable in your opinion? Explain.
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)