|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kotchikpa realizes that their hut is going to be ___________________________.
2. Who does Mama allow to sleep under the mosquito net?
3. When Maisha says she wants to get a full-time job, Jigana knows she is thinking about _________________________.
4. What is a tout?
5. What does Baba do to the taxi driver?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where are the parents of the children and why do they live with Fofo Kpee?
2. Why do Mama and Papa encourage their children to sniff glue and drink alcohol?
3. Who are the members of Jigana's family?
4. How do Jigana and his siblings get money from people on the streets?
5. What is Baba's fantasy about Maisha's life and how does the rundown taxi actually symbolize the life Maisha will have?
6. Why would Kotchikpa think that the motorcycle is a reward from God?
7. Where does Fofo store his acquired goods and why are they really useless?
8. How does Maisha's physical appearance symbolize her stolen innocence derived from her beauty?
9. Why does Jigana get special treatment in the family?
10. Who is Fofo Kpee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Akpan decided to tell these stories from the point of view of children. Are the events in the stories especially horrifying because the innocence of children is involved?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 3
Loss seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of loss? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)