|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Even though Kotchikpa no longer wants to travel to Gabon with Mama and Papa, Yewa is still allured by Western food and ___________________.
2. Maisha snaps at Jinga for ______________________.
3. Which of the following is NOT something Maisha had when she left for work a few days ago?
4. Fofo Kpee tells the children that they have _________________ who want to adopt them.
5. What does the guard tell the children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the motorcycle symbolize in the story?
2. Who are the members of Jigana's family?
3. What role does Maisha play in the family and why do her parents resent her?
4. Why is Maisha a prostitute at the age of twelve?
5. Who is Fofo Kpee?
6. Where are the parents of the children and why do they live with Fofo Kpee?
7. Why does Jigana get special treatment in the family?
8. How does Maisha's physical appearance symbolize her stolen innocence derived from her beauty?
9. How do Jigana and his siblings get money from people on the streets?
10. What real life issue in Africa does this story address?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Loss seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of loss? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Fofo Kpee in "Fattening for Gabon (Benin)". What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Fofo Kpee?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Monique in "My Parents' Bedroom (Rwanda)". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Monique?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)