Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old are Otieno and Atieno?
2. When Maisha says she wants to get a full-time job, Jigana knows she is thinking about _________________________.
3. What does Naema do to Baby while out begging to keep him dry?
4. Why will Fofo Kpee not allow any windows in the house to be opened?
5. What does Mama suggest giving the neighbors for Christmas?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Monique's innocence prevent her from understanding the blood and the ghosts?
2. What does the Chief signify in the story?
3. Why are the passengers on the bus infused with a sense of urgency?
4. How does Maisha's physical appearance symbolize her stolen innocence derived from her beauty?
5. Why do Mama and Papa encourage their children to sniff glue and drink alcohol?
6. What is the true extent of Mama's gratitude toward Maisha when she gets on her knees to thank her daughter?
7. How does Fofo Kpee explain the delivery of the new motorcycle to the children?
8. What is the main point of the story, "What Language is That"?
9. Who are the narrator and Selam and what is their relationship?
10. What is Baba's fantasy about Maisha's life and how does the rundown taxi actually symbolize the life Maisha will have?
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Maisha in "An Ex-Mas Feast (Kenya)". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Maisha?
Essay Topic 2
Choose three characters from different stories and then project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for their lives. Be sure to include geography, marital status, work, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Loss seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of loss? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)