Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old are Otieno and Atieno?
2. When Maisha says she wants to get a full-time job, Jigana knows she is thinking about _________________________.
3. What does Naema do to Baby while out begging to keep him dry?
4. Why will Fofo Kpee not allow any windows in the house to be opened?
5. What does Mama suggest giving the neighbors for Christmas?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Monique's innocence prevent her from understanding the blood and the ghosts?
2. What does the Chief signify in the story?
3. Why are the passengers on the bus infused with a sense of urgency?
4. How does Maisha's physical appearance symbolize her stolen innocence derived from her beauty?
5. Why do Mama and Papa encourage their children to sniff glue and drink alcohol?
6. What is the true extent of Mama's gratitude toward Maisha when she gets on her knees to thank her daughter?
7. How does Fofo Kpee explain the delivery of the new motorcycle to the children?
8. What is the main point of the story, "What Language is That"?
9. Who are the narrator and Selam and what is their relationship?
10. What is Baba's fantasy about Maisha's life and how does the rundown taxi actually symbolize the life Maisha will have?
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the stories. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Create a character study of the narrator in "What Language is That? (Ethiopia)". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about the little narrator?
Create a character study of Monique in "My Parents' Bedroom (Rwanda)". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Monique?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)