Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old are Otieno and Atieno?
2. When Maisha says she wants to get a full-time job, Jigana knows she is thinking about _________________________.
3. What does Naema do to Baby while out begging to keep him dry?
4. Why will Fofo Kpee not allow any windows in the house to be opened?
5. What does Mama suggest giving the neighbors for Christmas?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Monique's innocence prevent her from understanding the blood and the ghosts?
2. What does the Chief signify in the story?
3. Why are the passengers on the bus infused with a sense of urgency?
4. How does Maisha's physical appearance symbolize her stolen innocence derived from her beauty?
5. Why do Mama and Papa encourage their children to sniff glue and drink alcohol?
6. What is the true extent of Mama's gratitude toward Maisha when she gets on her knees to thank her daughter?
7. How does Fofo Kpee explain the delivery of the new motorcycle to the children?
8. What is the main point of the story, "What Language is That"?
9. Who are the narrator and Selam and what is their relationship?
10. What is Baba's fantasy about Maisha's life and how does the rundown taxi actually symbolize the life Maisha will have?
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Akpan decided to tell these stories from the point of view of children. Are the events in the stories especially horrifying because the innocence of children is involved?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the family in Akpan's stories.. What does it mean for some of the characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How are some of the families fractured? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in Africa in the late-20th century when the women in the stories are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)