|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the children does NOT escape from the hut?
2. How old are Otieno and Atieno?
3. What does Baba do to the taxi driver?
4. Which of the following is NOT something Maisha had when she left for work a few days ago?
5. How old is Maisha?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Jigana and his siblings get money from people on the streets?
2. How does Maisha's physical appearance symbolize her stolen innocence derived from her beauty?
3. Who is Fofo Kpee?
4. What is the true extent of Mama's gratitude toward Maisha when she gets on her knees to thank her daughter?
5. Why does Jigana get special treatment in the family?
6. Where are the parents of the children and why do they live with Fofo Kpee?
7. What is the premise of "Fattening for Gabon"?
8. What role does Maisha play in the family and why do her parents resent her?
9. Why would Kotchikpa think that the motorcycle is a reward from God?
10. Who are Kotchikpa and Yewa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of the narrator in "What Language is That? (Ethiopia)". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about the little narrator?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Jubril in "Luxurious Hearses (Nigeria)". What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Jubril?
Essay Topic 3
Uwem Akpan is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony. Briefly describe each and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)