|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kotchikpa realizes that their hut is going to be ___________________________.
2. Kotchikpa is surprised to find that ____________________ has been in on the plot all along.
3. Why do the children take Baby to town with them?
4. How old is Jigana?
5. Fofo Kpee tells the congregation that his new riches come from ______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Maisha a prostitute at the age of twelve?
2. Why are the refugees symbolized as ghosts?
3. What real life issue in Africa does this story address?
4. Who is Big Guy and what is he looking for at Fofo Kpee's house?
5. Who stops the man in the yellow trousers from tearing Monique's womb as he rapes her?
6. Where are the parents of the children and why do they live with Fofo Kpee?
7. How do Jigana and his siblings get money from people on the streets?
8. Why does Akpan choose second person narration for the story?
9. Why would Kotchikpa think that the motorcycle is a reward from God?
10. Who are Kotchikpa and Yewa?
Essay Topic 1
Select an instance of symbolism from one of the stories and explain its significance.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the stories. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Jubril in "Luxurious Hearses (Nigeria)". What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Jubril?
This section contains 1,682 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)