|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old are Otieno and Atieno?
2. Where does Fofo Kpee keep the motorcycle?
3. When Maisha says she wants to get a full-time job, Jigana knows she is thinking about _________________________.
4. In what country does the story take place?
5. Why does Yewa not want to go to school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Fofo Kpee?
2. Why does Jigana get special treatment in the family?
3. How does Fofo Kpee explain the delivery of the new motorcycle to the children?
4. Who is Big Guy and what is he looking for at Fofo Kpee's house?
5. What is the true extent of Mama's gratitude toward Maisha when she gets on her knees to thank her daughter?
6. What is the importance of "the bad night" when Fofo masturbates in front of the children?
7. Why is Maisha a prostitute at the age of twelve?
8. What is the premise of "Fattening for Gabon"?
9. Where does Fofo store his acquired goods and why are they really useless?
10. How do Jigana and his siblings get money from people on the streets?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Fofo Kpee in "Fattening for Gabon (Benin)". What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Fofo Kpee?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in Africa in the late-20th century when the women in the stories are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)