|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the twins drink until they get sick?
2. Who is outraged that he/she overslept on Christmas and lost the chance to beg from white tourists?
3. Fofo Kpee tells the congregation that his new riches come from ______________________.
4. Mama and Papa bring new siblings named _________________________.
5. Which of the following is NOT something Maisha had when she left for work a few days ago?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mama try to break into Maisha's trunk?
2. Why do Mama and Papa encourage their children to sniff glue and drink alcohol?
3. How does Fofo Kpee explain the delivery of the new motorcycle to the children?
4. Where does Fofo store his acquired goods and why are they really useless?
5. What are the reasons that Jigana tears up his school items and runs away from the family?
6. Why does Mama give her children glue to sniff on Christmas morning?
7. Who are Kotchikpa and Yewa?
8. What is the true extent of Mama's gratitude toward Maisha when she gets on her knees to thank her daughter?
9. How does Maisha's physical appearance symbolize her stolen innocence derived from her beauty?
10. How do Jigana and his siblings get money from people on the streets?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Fofo Kpee in "Fattening for Gabon (Benin)". What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Fofo Kpee?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Jubril in "Luxurious Hearses (Nigeria)". What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Jubril?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Uwem Akpan's writing style. How does he deliver information? How does he develop characters? What is the general tone of his stories? What is the most appealing aspect of Akpan's writing for you? Explain.
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)