|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is a tout in the story?
2. Where does Fofo Kpee take the children on their first ride on the motorcycle?
3. How old is Jigana?
4. Jigana becomes so drunk on sniffing glue that he ____________________.
5. The guard questions the children about ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mama try to break into Maisha's trunk?
2. What treats does Fofo Kpee give to the children and what do they think is the occasion for the goodies?
3. Where are the parents of the children and why do they live with Fofo Kpee?
4. What is the true extent of Mama's gratitude toward Maisha when she gets on her knees to thank her daughter?
5. What real life issue in Africa does this story address?
6. Why would Kotchikpa think that the motorcycle is a reward from God?
7. Who is Fofo Kpee?
8. Why is Maisha a prostitute at the age of twelve?
9. What role does Maisha play in the family and why do her parents resent her?
10. What is Baba's fantasy about Maisha's life and how does the rundown taxi actually symbolize the life Maisha will have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evil is an important theme in the stories. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Akpan decided to tell these stories from the point of view of children. Are the events in the stories especially horrifying because the innocence of children is involved?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast one of Akpan's characters to someone you know in your life. Which qualities do they share? What makes them so alike? Do you like the characteristics of the two? Do they have any qualities you would like to emulate? Do you respect them? How do they differ? Explain.
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)