|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Yewa?
2. What does the guard force the children to do?
3. What does Naema's boyfriend give her on Christmas?
4. Where does Fofo Kpee keep the motorcycle?
5. What does Baba do to the taxi driver?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Mama and Papa encourage their children to sniff glue and drink alcohol?
2. Who is Big Guy and what is he looking for at Fofo Kpee's house?
3. Why does Mama give her children glue to sniff on Christmas morning?
4. Where are the parents of the children and why do they live with Fofo Kpee?
5. What is Baba's fantasy about Maisha's life and how does the rundown taxi actually symbolize the life Maisha will have?
6. What role does Maisha play in the family and why do her parents resent her?
7. Why is Maisha a prostitute at the age of twelve?
8. Who are the members of Jigana's family?
9. What is the true extent of Mama's gratitude toward Maisha when she gets on her knees to thank her daughter?
10. What are the reasons that Jigana tears up his school items and runs away from the family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Monique in "My Parents' Bedroom (Rwanda)". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Monique?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the stories. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Loss seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of loss? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 1,245 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)