|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama suggest giving the neighbors for Christmas?
2. Mama downs a bottle of _______________ which is usually reserved for the children.
3. What does Naema's boyfriend give her on Christmas?
4. Kotchikpa realizes that their hut is going to be ___________________________.
5. Where do Jigana and his family live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the motorcycle symbolize in the story?
2. What treats does Fofo Kpee give to the children and what do they think is the occasion for the goodies?
3. How do Jigana and his siblings get money from people on the streets?
4. Why does Akpan choose second person narration for the story?
5. What does Monique see dripping down the white walls as she heads to the bathroom to bathe?
6. What is the core source of all the violence that takes place in the story?
7. Who is Big Guy and what is he looking for at Fofo Kpee's house?
8. How does Maisha's physical appearance symbolize her stolen innocence derived from her beauty?
9. Why does Mama give her children glue to sniff on Christmas morning?
10. How is the story, "What Language is That"? different from the other stories in this book?
Essay Topic 1
Evil is an important theme in the stories. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Fofo Kpee in "Fattening for Gabon (Benin)". What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Fofo Kpee?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of the narrator in "What Language is That? (Ethiopia)". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about the little narrator?
This section contains 1,666 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)