|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kotchikpa overhears Fofo saying that he will travel to Braffe soon to collect ____________________.
2. Jigana becomes so drunk on sniffing glue that he ____________________.
3. Who is Naema?
4. What does Mama suggest giving the neighbors for Christmas?
5. What new name does Mama give to Kotchikpa?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where are the parents of the children and why do they live with Fofo Kpee?
2. Why does Mama give her children glue to sniff on Christmas morning?
3. How does Maisha's physical appearance symbolize her stolen innocence derived from her beauty?
4. What real life issue in Africa does this story address?
5. How does Fofo Kpee explain the delivery of the new motorcycle to the children?
6. What is Baba's fantasy about Maisha's life and how does the rundown taxi actually symbolize the life Maisha will have?
7. What role does Maisha play in the family and why do her parents resent her?
8. What are the reasons that Jigana tears up his school items and runs away from the family?
9. What is the importance of "the bad night" when Fofo masturbates in front of the children?
10. Who is Big Guy and what is he looking for at Fofo Kpee's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Jubril in "Luxurious Hearses (Nigeria)". What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Jubril?
Essay Topic 2
Uwem Akpan is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony. Briefly describe each and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Loss seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of loss? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 1,198 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)