|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Maisha arrive home the next morning?
2. What does Fofo Kpee give the children to calm them down about meeting their adoptive parents?
3. Why does the person in #61 begin to shake Fofo and yell at him?
4. What does the guard force the children to drink?
5. Which of the following does Mama NOT do when Maisha smiles at her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What treats does Fofo Kpee give to the children and what do they think is the occasion for the goodies?
2. What is the importance of "the bad night" when Fofo masturbates in front of the children?
3. What are the reasons that Jigana tears up his school items and runs away from the family?
4. Why does Jigana get special treatment in the family?
5. How does Fofo Kpee explain the delivery of the new motorcycle to the children?
6. Why does Mama try to break into Maisha's trunk?
7. What role does Maisha play in the family and why do her parents resent her?
8. What is the true extent of Mama's gratitude toward Maisha when she gets on her knees to thank her daughter?
9. How does Maisha's physical appearance symbolize her stolen innocence derived from her beauty?
10. Why does Mama give her children glue to sniff on Christmas morning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who are two of Akpan's characters in this book who appeal to you the most? What is it about these characters that you like? What are their weaknesses? How about redeeming qualities? Are Akpan's characters believable in your opinion? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of the narrator in "What Language is That? (Ethiopia)". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about the little narrator?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)