|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jigana becomes so drunk on sniffing glue that he ____________________.
2. Fattening for Gabon starts with the line, "Selling your child or nephew could be more difficult than selling ________________________."
3. Kotchikpa overhears Fofo saying that he will travel to Braffe soon to collect ____________________.
4. Why do the children take Baby to town with them?
5. Kotchikpa is surprised to find that ____________________ has been in on the plot all along.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are Kotchikpa and Yewa?
2. What is Baba's fantasy about Maisha's life and how does the rundown taxi actually symbolize the life Maisha will have?
3. What role does Maisha play in the family and why do her parents resent her?
4. Where are the parents of the children and why do they live with Fofo Kpee?
5. What real life issue in Africa does this story address?
6. What is the importance of "the bad night" when Fofo masturbates in front of the children?
7. What is the true extent of Mama's gratitude toward Maisha when she gets on her knees to thank her daughter?
8. Why does Mama try to break into Maisha's trunk?
9. Why is Maisha a prostitute at the age of twelve?
10. Why does Mama give her children glue to sniff on Christmas morning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the stories. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Choose three characters from different stories and then project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for their lives. Be sure to include geography, marital status, work, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Monique in "My Parents' Bedroom (Rwanda)". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Monique?
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)