|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Naema's boyfriend give her on Christmas?
2. What does Fofo Kpee give the children to calm them down about meeting their adoptive parents?
3. In what country does the story take place?
4. Which sibling of Maisha's is the only one she will allow to hang out on the street with her?
5. Jigana becomes so drunk on sniffing glue that he ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Big Guy and what is he looking for at Fofo Kpee's house?
2. How does Fofo Kpee explain the delivery of the new motorcycle to the children?
3. How do Jigana and his siblings get money from people on the streets?
4. What real life issue in Africa does this story address?
5. Where are the parents of the children and why do they live with Fofo Kpee?
6. What role does Maisha play in the family and why do her parents resent her?
7. Where does Fofo store his acquired goods and why are they really useless?
8. Why would Kotchikpa think that the motorcycle is a reward from God?
9. What treats does Fofo Kpee give to the children and what do they think is the occasion for the goodies?
10. What is Baba's fantasy about Maisha's life and how does the rundown taxi actually symbolize the life Maisha will have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Maisha in "An Ex-Mas Feast (Kenya)". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Maisha?
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Akpan decided to tell these stories from the point of view of children. Are the events in the stories especially horrifying because the innocence of children is involved?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Uwem Akpan's writing style. How does he deliver information? How does he develop characters? What is the general tone of his stories? What is the most appealing aspect of Akpan's writing for you? Explain.
This section contains 1,185 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)