|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT something Maisha had when she left for work a few days ago?
2. What is a tout?
3. Which is NOT one of the things that Jinga does when Maisha leaves?
4. Fofo Kpee tells the congregation that his new riches come from ______________________.
5. Kotchikpa realizes that their hut is going to be ___________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Where are the parents of the children and why do they live with Fofo Kpee?
2. What treats does Fofo Kpee give to the children and what do they think is the occasion for the goodies?
3. What real life issue in Africa does this story address?
4. What is Baba's fantasy about Maisha's life and how does the rundown taxi actually symbolize the life Maisha will have?
5. Why does Mama give her children glue to sniff on Christmas morning?
6. Why does Mama try to break into Maisha's trunk?
7. Why is Maisha a prostitute at the age of twelve?
8. Why does Jigana get special treatment in the family?
9. What role does Maisha play in the family and why do her parents resent her?
10. What is the premise of "Fattening for Gabon"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in Africa in the late-20th century when the women in the stories are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Evil is an important theme in the stories. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the family in Akpan's stories.. What does it mean for some of the characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How are some of the families fractured? Give examples.
This section contains 1,168 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)