|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a tout?
2. What do the family members do when they eat the food that Maisha has brought home?
3. Why does the person in #61 begin to shake Fofo and yell at him?
4. Where does Fofo Kpee keep the motorcycle?
5. Where do Jigana and his family live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Baba's fantasy about Maisha's life and how does the rundown taxi actually symbolize the life Maisha will have?
2. What role does Maisha play in the family and why do her parents resent her?
3. What are the reasons that Jigana tears up his school items and runs away from the family?
4. How does Maisha's physical appearance symbolize her stolen innocence derived from her beauty?
5. What does the motorcycle symbolize in the story?
6. How do Jigana and his siblings get money from people on the streets?
7. What is the premise of "Fattening for Gabon"?
8. How does Fofo Kpee explain the delivery of the new motorcycle to the children?
9. What real life issue in Africa does this story address?
10. Why does Jigana get special treatment in the family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
Choose three characters from different stories and then project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for their lives. Be sure to include geography, marital status, work, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Akpan decided to tell these stories from the point of view of children. Are the events in the stories especially horrifying because the innocence of children is involved?
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)