|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The guard questions the children about ___________________.
2. Who is Naema?
3. How old is Maisha?
4. What currency does Fofo Kpee put in the church collection?
5. What does Baba help Maisha load into a taxi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the reasons that Jigana tears up his school items and runs away from the family?
2. What role does Maisha play in the family and why do her parents resent her?
3. What treats does Fofo Kpee give to the children and what do they think is the occasion for the goodies?
4. Who is Fofo Kpee?
5. Why does Mama give her children glue to sniff on Christmas morning?
6. Why does Jigana get special treatment in the family?
7. Who is Big Guy and what is he looking for at Fofo Kpee's house?
8. Why does Mama try to break into Maisha's trunk?
9. Why would Kotchikpa think that the motorcycle is a reward from God?
10. What is the importance of "the bad night" when Fofo masturbates in front of the children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Uwem Akpan's writing style. How does he deliver information? How does he develop characters? What is the general tone of his stories? What is the most appealing aspect of Akpan's writing for you? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Choose three characters from different stories and then project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for their lives. Be sure to include geography, marital status, work, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Who are two of Akpan's characters in this book who appeal to you the most? What is it about these characters that you like? What are their weaknesses? How about redeeming qualities? Are Akpan's characters believable in your opinion? Explain.
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)