|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama suggest giving the neighbors for Christmas?
2. Which sibling of Maisha's is the only one she will allow to hang out on the street with her?
3. Fofo Kpee tells the children that they have _________________ who want to adopt them.
4. Why have the children not seen their parents for two years?
5. Mama and Papa bring new siblings named _________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What treats does Fofo Kpee give to the children and what do they think is the occasion for the goodies?
2. What is the true extent of Mama's gratitude toward Maisha when she gets on her knees to thank her daughter?
3. Where are the parents of the children and why do they live with Fofo Kpee?
4. What is the importance of "the bad night" when Fofo masturbates in front of the children?
5. What is the premise of "Fattening for Gabon"?
6. Who is Fofo Kpee?
7. Why does Mama give her children glue to sniff on Christmas morning?
8. Who is Big Guy and what is he looking for at Fofo Kpee's house?
9. Why do Mama and Papa encourage their children to sniff glue and drink alcohol?
10. Who are Kotchikpa and Yewa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select an instance of symbolism from one of the stories and explain its significance.
Essay Topic 2
Who are two of Akpan's characters in this book who appeal to you the most? What is it about these characters that you like? What are their weaknesses? How about redeeming qualities? Are Akpan's characters believable in your opinion? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Uwem Akpan's writing style. How does he deliver information? How does he develop characters? What is the general tone of his stories? What is the most appealing aspect of Akpan's writing for you? Explain.
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)