|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mama thanks Maisha for _________________.
2. Even though Kotchikpa no longer wants to travel to Gabon with Mama and Papa, Yewa is still allured by Western food and ___________________.
3. Where does Fofo Kpee take the children on their first ride on the motorcycle?
4. Kotchikpa is surprised to find that ____________________ has been in on the plot all along.
5. How old is Jigana?
Short Essay Questions
1. What real life issue in Africa does this story address?
2. What treats does Fofo Kpee give to the children and what do they think is the occasion for the goodies?
3. Where does Fofo store his acquired goods and why are they really useless?
4. How does Fofo Kpee explain the delivery of the new motorcycle to the children?
5. Who is Big Guy and what is he looking for at Fofo Kpee's house?
6. What are the reasons that Jigana tears up his school items and runs away from the family?
7. Why is Maisha a prostitute at the age of twelve?
8. What role does Maisha play in the family and why do her parents resent her?
9. Who are the members of Jigana's family?
10. Who are Kotchikpa and Yewa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Uwem Akpan is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony. Briefly describe each and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of the narrator in "What Language is That? (Ethiopia)". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about the little narrator?
Essay Topic 3
Choose three characters from different stories and then project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for their lives. Be sure to include geography, marital status, work, socialization, etc.
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)