|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does Mama spray down the house?
2. What has the man in #39 purchased recently?
3. Who arrives unexpectedly one night to say that the children will be leaving within the week?
4. What is notable about the man in #39?
5. Mama thanks Maisha for _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Fofo Kpee?
2. What are the reasons that Jigana tears up his school items and runs away from the family?
3. What is the importance of "the bad night" when Fofo masturbates in front of the children?
4. Where does Fofo store his acquired goods and why are they really useless?
5. What role does Maisha play in the family and why do her parents resent her?
6. Why do Mama and Papa encourage their children to sniff glue and drink alcohol?
7. What is the premise of "Fattening for Gabon"?
8. How do Jigana and his siblings get money from people on the streets?
9. Why does Mama give her children glue to sniff on Christmas morning?
10. Who is Big Guy and what is he looking for at Fofo Kpee's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evil is an important theme in the stories. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 3
Choose three characters from different stories and then project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for their lives. Be sure to include geography, marital status, work, socialization, etc.
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)