|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Yewa?
2. Who arrives unexpectedly one night to say that the children will be leaving within the week?
3. What does Baba use to fan the chemicals out of the house?
4. Mama hopes she can sell one of the new puppies to buy ______________________.
5. What does Baba help Maisha load into a taxi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Maisha play in the family and why do her parents resent her?
2. What is the importance of "the bad night" when Fofo masturbates in front of the children?
3. Why does Mama give her children glue to sniff on Christmas morning?
4. Who are Kotchikpa and Yewa?
5. What is the true extent of Mama's gratitude toward Maisha when she gets on her knees to thank her daughter?
6. Where does Fofo store his acquired goods and why are they really useless?
7. Who is Big Guy and what is he looking for at Fofo Kpee's house?
8. What does the motorcycle symbolize in the story?
9. What is the premise of "Fattening for Gabon"?
10. Why is Maisha a prostitute at the age of twelve?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Fofo Kpee in "Fattening for Gabon (Benin)". What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Fofo Kpee?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Uwem Akpan's writing style. How does he deliver information? How does he develop characters? What is the general tone of his stories? What is the most appealing aspect of Akpan's writing for you? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What is the overall setting for the stories in the book? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Akpan choose to use these places in the stories?
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)