|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Naema do to Baby while out begging to keep him dry?
2. Mama thanks Maisha for _________________.
3. What does Jigana think he should have done to help support the family?
4. What treats does Fofo Kpee give to the children?
5. How old is Jigana?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of "the bad night" when Fofo masturbates in front of the children?
2. Who is Hadiya and how does she impact the relationship between the narrator and Selam?
3. What are some things that Maman tells Monique before Maman goes out for the evening and which is the most important?
4. Why do Mama and Papa encourage their children to sniff glue and drink alcohol?
5. Why does Mama try to break into Maisha's trunk?
6. The title of the book, "Say You're One of Them" comes from something Maman says to Monique. What is the significance of the statement?
7. What is the true extent of Mama's gratitude toward Maisha when she gets on her knees to thank her daughter?
8. What is the narrator's father's advice to Selam regarding eating pork?
9. How had Jubril lost his right hand and why is it important for him to hide that fact while on the bus?
10. Why does Mama give her children glue to sniff on Christmas morning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Monique in "My Parents' Bedroom (Rwanda)". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Monique?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast one of Akpan's characters to someone you know in your life. Which qualities do they share? What makes them so alike? Do you like the characteristics of the two? Do they have any qualities you would like to emulate? Do you respect them? How do they differ? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Choose three characters from different stories and then project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for their lives. Be sure to include geography, marital status, work, socialization, etc.
This section contains 1,662 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)