|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old are the girls in the story?
2. What does the soldier carry onto the bus?
(a) A Bible.
(b) A dog.
(c) A machete.
(d) A set of golf clubs.
3. What had a girl named Hadiya told Selam at school one day?
(a) Hamburger is pork.
(b) She should join the choir.
(c) A certain boy liked her.
(d) She could tutor her.
4. Which of the following is NOT something the narrator likes about her best friend?
(a) Long legs.
(c) Sense of humor.
5. As the story begins, the Nigerian government places a ban on the transportation of _________________ from one end of the country to another.
Short Answer Questions
1. This story is told from which point of view?
2. What does a nosy woman on the bus ask Jubril?
3. What is notable about Jubril's appearance?
4. What does Jubril fear will reveal that he is a Muslim?
5. What is the narrator looking for at Selam's apartment building?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Akpan choose second person narration for the story?
2. What is notable about the story "What Language is That?"
3. How is the story, "What Language is That"? different from the other stories in this book?
4. What is the narrator's father's advice to Selam regarding eating pork?
5. How do the narrator and Selam find a way to communicate with each other when they are not allowed to play together?
6. Who are the narrator and Selam and what is their relationship?
7. What does the narrator do during the days after being restricted from playing with Selam?
8. What ban by the Nigerian government takes place just prior to the opening of the story, "Luxurious Hearses"?
9. What is the unifying thread of the conflicts in the story?
10. What is at the base of all the trivial conflicts in the story?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)