|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what country does the story take place?
2. What differences do the two friends have?
(a) Religious differences.
(b) Cultural differences.
(c) Athletic differences.
(d) Language differences.
3. What is Jubril's religion?
4. Who is Yusuf?
(a) Jubril's grandfather.
(b) Jubril's best friend.
(c) Jubril's father.
(d) Jubril's brother.
5. How did Yusuf die?
(a) He drowned.
(b) He was stoned to death.
(c) He was stabbed.
(d) He had a terminal illness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jubril's adopted Christian name?
2. This story is about the divide between ____________________________.
3. A man named Emeka takes care of another man who has ___________________.
4. The narrator and her best friend ______________________.
5. What had a girl named Hadiya told Selam at school one day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator experience on the day her parents inform her she can no longer play with Selam?
2. Who is Hadiya and how does she impact the relationship between the narrator and Selam?
3. How is the story, "What Language is That"? different from the other stories in this book?
4. How does Jubril disguise his being a Muslim while on the bus?
5. What is the message of the story at the end?
6. Who is Jubril and why must he disguise his religious identity aboard a bus headed out of the city?i
7. What does the narrator do during the days after being restricted from playing with Selam?
8. Why does Akpan choose second person narration for the story?
9. Why are the narrator and Selam no longer allowed to play together?
10. How had Jubril lost his right hand and why is it important for him to hide that fact while on the bus?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)