|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator's father tell Selam?
(a) He can tutor her in algebra if she wants him to.
(b) She is the best goalie on the soccer team.
(c) She should eat whatever she wants when with them.
(d) She should study French.
2. How many. pages is this short story?
3. Jubril was baptized into which religion?
4. What is Jubril's adopted Christian name?
5. Which of the following do the Christian rebels NOT do to the person who is sheltering Jubril?
(a) Threaten to burn his/her house.
(b) Beat the person.
(c) Pour gasoline over the person's belongings.
(d) Shoot the person.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the best friend of the person in #74?
2. Why does Jubril not watch the televisions on the bus?
3. Why does Selam suddenly rush off her balcony and back into her apartment?
4. Which of the following is NOT something Selam likes about the narrator?
5. What does the narrator note about the streets outside the apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the narrator and Selam no longer allowed to play together?
2. How do the policemen who take the sick man off the bus represent the corruption that exists in the country?
3. What is notable about the story "What Language is That?"
4. Who is Hadiya and how does she impact the relationship between the narrator and Selam?
5. What elements of Western life are uncomfortable for Jubril while on the bus?
6. Who are the narrator and Selam and what is their relationship?
7. What does the Chief signify in the story?
8. What is the core source of all the violence that takes place in the story?
9. What is the narrator's father's advice to Selam regarding eating pork?
10. How do the narrator and Selam find a way to communicate with each other when they are not allowed to play together?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)