|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the soldier carry onto the bus?
(a) A dog.
(b) A machete.
(c) A set of golf clubs.
(d) A Bible.
2. A man named Emeka takes care of another man who has ___________________.
3. During the Christian and Muslim riots, Jubril was beaten and _________________________.
(b) Almost set on fire.
(c) Thrown in the river.
(d) Left in an alley.
4. Why does Selam suddenly rush off her balcony and back into her apartment?
(a) She needs to get a jacket.
(b) It has started to rain.
(c) She has to answer the phone.
(d) She doesn't want her mother to catch her.
5. What does Jubril fear will reveal that he is a Muslim?
(a) His clothing.
(b) His missing hand.
(c) His food.
(d) His books.
Short Answer Questions
1. This story is about the divide between ____________________________.
2. Why does the narrator scream at Selam?
3. What does the narrator note about the streets outside the apartment?
4. Which of the following do the Christian rebels NOT do to the person who is sheltering Jubril?
5. How old are the girls in the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jubril disguise his being a Muslim while on the bus?
2. Who is Hadiya and how does she impact the relationship between the narrator and Selam?
3. What is notable about the story "What Language is That?"
4. What does the Chief signify in the story?
5. How does Akpan's choice of second person narration affect the reader?
6. Why does Akpan choose second person narration for the story?
7. What does the narrator experience on the day her parents inform her she can no longer play with Selam?
8. How do the policemen who take the sick man off the bus represent the corruption that exists in the country?
9. How had Jubril lost his right hand and why is it important for him to hide that fact while on the bus?
10. What is the core source of all the violence that takes place in the story?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)