|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Madam Aniema do to the soldier to calm him down?
(a) Rubs his hands.
(b) Sings to him.
(c) Offers him some food.
(d) Sprinkles holy water on him.
2. What does a nosy woman on the bus ask Jubril?
(a) Why he is not in school.
(b) Why he isn't watching TV.
(c) Why he is traveling alone.
(d) Why his hair is so long.
3. What was Jubril's punishment for stealing a goat?
(a) He is banished from his village.
(b) He spent six weeks in prison.
(c) He had to pay for the goat.
(d) His hand was amputated.
4. Why does the person in #115 yell at Jubril?
(a) He stepped on his foot.
(b) He had the audacity to speak to him.
(c) He spilled water on them.
(d) He dropped his bag on her lap.
5. During the Christian and Muslim riots, Jubril was beaten and _________________________.
(a) Left in an alley.
(c) Almost set on fire.
(d) Thrown in the river.
Short Answer Questions
1. One day, the narrator smells ________________ in the apartment.
2. Who says, "Best friends don't quarrel" when Selam begins to cry?
3. Why does the village chief get so angry at Jubril?
4. What does the narrator see Selam doing at her apartment one night?
5. The chief offers some crackers to Jubril on what condition?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator do during the days after being restricted from playing with Selam?
2. What is the message of the story at the end?
3. What is the core source of all the violence that takes place in the story?
4. What is at the base of all the trivial conflicts in the story?
5. What does the Chief signify in the story?
6. What ban by the Nigerian government takes place just prior to the opening of the story, "Luxurious Hearses"?
7. What is the unifying thread of the conflicts in the story?
8. How do the narrator and Selam find a way to communicate with each other when they are not allowed to play together?
9. How do the policemen who take the sick man off the bus represent the corruption that exists in the country?
10. Why does Akpan choose second person narration for the story?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)