|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Jubril uncomfortable around the women on the bus?
(a) They flirt with him.
(b) They wear too much makeup.
(c) They wear too much perfume.
(d) They are in Western clothes.
2. What had a girl named Hadiya told Selam at school one day?
(a) A certain boy liked her.
(b) Hamburger is pork.
(c) She could tutor her.
(d) She should join the choir.
3. One day, the narrator's parents inform her that she can no longer spend time with whom?
4. Why does the person in #115 yell at Jubril?
(a) He spilled water on them.
(b) He had the audacity to speak to him.
(c) He stepped on his foot.
(d) He dropped his bag on her lap.
5. What place does the narrator have in her family?
(a) The oldest child.
(b) An only child.
(c) The middle child.
(d) The youngest child.
Short Answer Questions
1. The soldier wants to be a farmer or a ____________________.
2. Why does the village chief get so angry at Jubril?
3. Why is the bus unable to leave as scheduled?
4. Who is Yusuf?
5. The narrator is happy because __________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the narrator and Selam and what is their relationship?
2. What is the narrator's father's advice to Selam regarding eating pork?
3. Why are the narrator and Selam no longer allowed to play together?
4. How is the story, "What Language is That"? different from the other stories in this book?
5. How had Jubril lost his right hand and why is it important for him to hide that fact while on the bus?
6. What is the message of the story at the end?
7. What elements of Western life are uncomfortable for Jubril while on the bus?
8. Why does Akpan choose second person narration for the story?
9. What ban by the Nigerian government takes place just prior to the opening of the story, "Luxurious Hearses"?
10. How do the narrator and Selam find a way to communicate with each other when they are not allowed to play together?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)