|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A man named Emeka takes care of another man who has ___________________.
2. In what country does the story take place?
3. The narrator's parents no longer want her to play with whom?
4. How does Jubril die?
(a) He drowns.
(b) He is hanged.
(c) He is shot.
(d) His throat is slit.
5. Two people who share a close bond are able to _________________________.
(a) Finish each other's sentences.
(b) Communicate messages to each other.
(c) Instill insecurities in each other.
(d) Make each other angry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had a girl named Hadiya told Selam at school one day?
2. As the story begins, the Nigerian government places a ban on the transportation of _________________ from one end of the country to another.
3. What is the setting of the story?
4. Which of the following is NOT something Selam likes about the narrator?
5. What does the narrator note about the streets outside the apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What elements of Western life are uncomfortable for Jubril while on the bus?
2. What is the narrator's father's advice to Selam regarding eating pork?
3. What is the core source of all the violence that takes place in the story?
4. How had Jubril lost his right hand and why is it important for him to hide that fact while on the bus?
5. How does Akpan's choice of second person narration affect the reader?
6. Why are the narrator and Selam no longer allowed to play together?
7. What is the message of the story at the end?
8. Why does Akpan choose second person narration for the story?
9. How is the story, "What Language is That"? different from the other stories in this book?
10. What is the unifying thread of the conflicts in the story?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)