|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the bus passengers side with Jubril against the village chief?
(a) Jubril passed out water that the chief was hiding.
(b) The chief took Jubril's seat but has no ticket.
(c) Jubril shared his food with the other passengers.
(d) Jubril helped a small boy who the chief scared.
2. Two people who share a close bond are able to _________________________.
(a) Instill insecurities in each other.
(b) Finish each other's sentences.
(c) Make each other angry.
(d) Communicate messages to each other.
3. Who is the best friend of the person in #74?
4. Why does Jubril not watch the televisions on the bus?
(a) He would prefer to sleep.
(b) They show offensive Western images.
(c) His eyes are too tired.
(d) The screens are too blurry.
5. Jubril was baptized into which religion?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT something Selam likes about the narrator?
2. How many. pages is this short story?
3. Why is Jubril uncomfortable around the women on the bus?
4. Why is the bus unable to leave as scheduled?
5. During the Christian and Muslim riots, Jubril was beaten and _________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the story, "What Language is That"? different from the other stories in this book?
2. How had Jubril lost his right hand and why is it important for him to hide that fact while on the bus?
3. What is at the base of all the trivial conflicts in the story?
4. Why are the narrator and Selam no longer allowed to play together?
5. How does Jubril disguise his being a Muslim while on the bus?
6. What is the main point of the story, "What Language is That"?
7. Why are the passengers on the bus infused with a sense of urgency?
8. What does the narrator do during the days after being restricted from playing with Selam?
9. What is the message of the story at the end?
10. What is notable about the story "What Language is That?"
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)