|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Selam suddenly rush off her balcony and back into her apartment?
(a) She needs to get a jacket.
(b) She has to answer the phone.
(c) She doesn't want her mother to catch her.
(d) It has started to rain.
2. Who tells this story?
(d) The narrator.
3. What does Madam Aniema do to the soldier to calm him down?
(a) Sings to him.
(b) Offers him some food.
(c) Rubs his hands.
(d) Sprinkles holy water on him.
4. During the Christian and Muslim riots, Jubril was beaten and _________________________.
(a) Almost set on fire.
(b) Thrown in the river.
(d) Left in an alley.
5. One day, the narrator's parents inform her that she can no longer spend time with whom?
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator's parents no longer want her to play with whom?
2. How does Jubril die?
3. Why is the soldier anxious to reach the village?
4. The narrator and her best friend ______________________.
5. What place does Selam have in her family?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the story, "What Language is That"? different from the other stories in this book?
2. What ban by the Nigerian government takes place just prior to the opening of the story, "Luxurious Hearses"?
3. Why are the passengers on the bus infused with a sense of urgency?
4. What is notable about the story "What Language is That?"
5. Why does Akpan choose second person narration for the story?
6. What is the narrator's father's advice to Selam regarding eating pork?
7. Who are the narrator and Selam and what is their relationship?
8. Who is Jubril and why must he disguise his religious identity aboard a bus headed out of the city?i
9. How had Jubril lost his right hand and why is it important for him to hide that fact while on the bus?
10. What does the narrator experience on the day her parents inform her she can no longer play with Selam?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)