|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator's parents no longer want her to play with whom?
2. How old is the narrator?
3. How many days does the narrator watch Selam's apartment building?
4. Which of the following is NOT something the narrator likes about her best friend?
(c) Long legs.
(d) Sense of humor.
5. What does the narrator see Selam doing at her apartment one night?
(a) Watching television.
(b) Reading a book.
(c) Standing on the balcony.
(d) Drying dishes.
Short Answer Questions
1. During one vacation, Selam asks the narrator ___________________________.
2. A man named Emeka takes care of another man who has ___________________.
3. Why does Jubril not watch the televisions on the bus?
4. Jubril buys a ticket on which bus line to take him out of the city to his father's village?
5. What does a nosy woman on the bus ask Jubril?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jubril disguise his being a Muslim while on the bus?
2. What ban by the Nigerian government takes place just prior to the opening of the story, "Luxurious Hearses"?
3. How is the story, "What Language is That"? different from the other stories in this book?
4. Who is Hadiya and how does she impact the relationship between the narrator and Selam?
5. What is the message of the story at the end?
6. What is the main point of the story, "What Language is That"?
7. How does Akpan's choice of second person narration affect the reader?
8. What does the narrator do during the days after being restricted from playing with Selam?
9. Who are the narrator and Selam and what is their relationship?
10. Why are the passengers on the bus infused with a sense of urgency?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)