|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the soldier carry onto the bus?
(a) A dog.
(b) A set of golf clubs.
(c) A machete.
(d) A Bible.
2. What does Jubril fear will reveal that he is a Muslim?
(a) His clothing.
(b) His food.
(c) His missing hand.
(d) His books.
3. What does the chief drop into Jubril's lap?
(a) A magazine.
(c) A rosary.
(d) A bottle of water.
4. The narrator and her best friend ______________________.
(a) Ride bikes together.
(b) Do everything together.
(c) Swim in the sea.
(d) Take piano lessons.
5. Two people who share a close bond are able to _________________________.
(a) Make each other angry.
(b) Finish each other's sentences.
(c) Instill insecurities in each other.
(d) Communicate messages to each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the story begins, the Nigerian government places a ban on the transportation of _________________ from one end of the country to another.
2. How does Jubril die?
3. The narrator and her best friend vacation with ___________________.
4. One day, the narrator's parents inform her that she can no longer spend time with whom?
5. Who is the best friend of the person in #74?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Hadiya and how does she impact the relationship between the narrator and Selam?
2. What is the main point of the story, "What Language is That"?
3. What does the narrator experience on the day her parents inform her she can no longer play with Selam?
4. Who is Jubril and why must he disguise his religious identity aboard a bus headed out of the city?i
5. What elements of Western life are uncomfortable for Jubril while on the bus?
6. How had Jubril lost his right hand and why is it important for him to hide that fact while on the bus?
7. What is notable about the story "What Language is That?"
8. What does the Chief signify in the story?
9. How does Jubril disguise his being a Muslim while on the bus?
10. What is the message of the story at the end?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)