|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT something the soldier threatens to do if he is forced off the bus?
(a) Light himself on fire.
(b) Curses the passengers.
(c) Threatens to kill someone.
(d) Shoots imaginary machine guns into the air.
2. Why is the soldier anxious to reach the village?
(a) To save his sick dog.
(b) To see his new baby.
(c) To attend a wedding.
(d) To see his girlfriend.
3. What does the chief drop into Jubril's lap?
(a) A bottle of water.
(c) A magazine.
(d) A rosary.
4. Who says, "Best friends don't quarrel" when Selam begins to cry?
(c) The narrator's father.
(d) The narrator.
5. Which of the following do Selam and the narrator NOT do when they see each other from their apartments?
(a) Talk on the phone.
(b) Smile big.
(c) Mime hugging each other.
(d) Open their mouths wide.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator note about the streets outside the apartment?
2. Why do the bus passengers side with Jubril against the village chief?
3. The soldier wants to be a farmer or a ____________________.
4. Why does the narrator scream at Selam?
5. One day, the narrator's parents inform her that she can no longer spend time with whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Hadiya and how does she impact the relationship between the narrator and Selam?
2. Who are the narrator and Selam and what is their relationship?
3. What is at the base of all the trivial conflicts in the story?
4. What is the core source of all the violence that takes place in the story?
5. What is the unifying thread of the conflicts in the story?
6. Who is Jubril and why must he disguise his religious identity aboard a bus headed out of the city?i
7. How had Jubril lost his right hand and why is it important for him to hide that fact while on the bus?
8. What is notable about the story "What Language is That?"
9. How does Akpan's choice of second person narration affect the reader?
10. What ban by the Nigerian government takes place just prior to the opening of the story, "Luxurious Hearses"?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)