|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Two people who share a close bond are able to _________________________.
(a) Make each other angry.
(b) Communicate messages to each other.
(c) Finish each other's sentences.
(d) Instill insecurities in each other.
2. What does Jubril fear will reveal that he is a Muslim?
(a) His missing hand.
(b) His clothing.
(c) His books.
(d) His food.
3. What is Jubril's religion?
4. What does the narrator note about the streets outside the apartment?
(a) They are empty.
(b) They are wet.
(c) They have oil spots.
(d) They are filled with people.
5. What differences do the two friends have?
(a) Cultural differences.
(b) Religious differences.
(c) Language differences.
(d) Athletic differences.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jubril was baptized into which religion?
2. Why is the bus unable to leave as scheduled?
3. Who is the best friend of the person in #74?
4. Emeka points out Jubril as being a ______________.
5. What is Jubril's adopted Christian name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the narrator and Selam no longer allowed to play together?
2. Why are the passengers on the bus infused with a sense of urgency?
3. How does Jubril disguise his being a Muslim while on the bus?
4. What ban by the Nigerian government takes place just prior to the opening of the story, "Luxurious Hearses"?
5. What is the unifying thread of the conflicts in the story?
6. How do the narrator and Selam find a way to communicate with each other when they are not allowed to play together?
7. Who are the narrator and Selam and what is their relationship?
8. How had Jubril lost his right hand and why is it important for him to hide that fact while on the bus?
9. What is the message of the story at the end?
10. What is the narrator's father's advice to Selam regarding eating pork?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)