|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jubril not watch the televisions on the bus?
(a) He would prefer to sleep.
(b) The screens are too blurry.
(c) They show offensive Western images.
(d) His eyes are too tired.
2. The narrator is happy because __________________________.
(a) It is her birthday.
(b) She got a new puppy.
(c) Her family is going on vacation.
(d) She and Selam have found a way to communicate.
3. One day, the narrator smells ________________ in the apartment.
4. Which of the following is NOT something the soldier threatens to do if he is forced off the bus?
(a) Threatens to kill someone.
(b) Curses the passengers.
(c) Shoots imaginary machine guns into the air.
(d) Light himself on fire.
5. What candy do the two friends like to eat?
(a) Red licorice.
(b) Smiling Cow toffees.
(c) Gummy bears.
(d) Peanut butter cups.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the chief drop into Jubril's lap?
2. Why is the soldier anxious to reach the village?
3. Who has taken Jubril's reserved seat on the bus?
4. This story is about the divide between ____________________________.
5. How did Yusuf die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator experience on the day her parents inform her she can no longer play with Selam?
2. How does Jubril disguise his being a Muslim while on the bus?
3. Who is Hadiya and how does she impact the relationship between the narrator and Selam?
4. Who is Jubril and why must he disguise his religious identity aboard a bus headed out of the city?i
5. How do the policemen who take the sick man off the bus represent the corruption that exists in the country?
6. How is the story, "What Language is That"? different from the other stories in this book?
7. How does Akpan's choice of second person narration affect the reader?
8. What is the message of the story at the end?
9. What is at the base of all the trivial conflicts in the story?
10. What does the narrator do during the days after being restricted from playing with Selam?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)