|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The soldier wants to be a farmer or a ____________________.
2. The narrator is happy because __________________________.
(a) She got a new puppy.
(b) It is her birthday.
(c) She and Selam have found a way to communicate.
(d) Her family is going on vacation.
3. The chief orders the passengers on the bus to not mention the word ________________ on the trip.
4. Which of the following do the Christian rebels NOT do to the person who is sheltering Jubril?
(a) Beat the person.
(b) Threaten to burn his/her house.
(c) Shoot the person.
(d) Pour gasoline over the person's belongings.
5. What does Jubril fear will reveal that he is a Muslim?
(a) His clothing.
(b) His food.
(c) His missing hand.
(d) His books.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days does the narrator watch Selam's apartment building?
2. What does the chief drop into Jubril's lap?
3. What is Jubril's adopted Christian name?
4. The narrator's parents no longer want her to play with whom?
5. The chief offers some crackers to Jubril on what condition?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is notable about the story "What Language is That?"
2. What does the narrator do during the days after being restricted from playing with Selam?
3. What is the narrator's father's advice to Selam regarding eating pork?
4. What is the message of the story at the end?
5. What is at the base of all the trivial conflicts in the story?
6. How do the policemen who take the sick man off the bus represent the corruption that exists in the country?
7. How does Jubril disguise his being a Muslim while on the bus?
8. What is the unifying thread of the conflicts in the story?
9. Why are the narrator and Selam no longer allowed to play together?
10. How does Akpan's choice of second person narration affect the reader?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)