|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Two people who share a close bond are able to _________________________.
(a) Communicate messages to each other.
(b) Finish each other's sentences.
(c) Instill insecurities in each other.
(d) Make each other angry.
2. How many. pages is this short story?
3. The soldier wants to be a farmer or a ____________________.
4. Who is Yusuf?
(a) Jubril's father.
(b) Jubril's best friend.
(c) Jubril's grandfather.
(d) Jubril's brother.
5. Jubril was baptized into which religion?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the narrator looking for at Selam's apartment building?
2. What does the soldier carry onto the bus?
3. What differences do the two friends have?
4. Which of the following is NOT something the narrator likes about her best friend?
5. The chief offers some crackers to Jubril on what condition?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Jubril and why must he disguise his religious identity aboard a bus headed out of the city?i
2. Why are the passengers on the bus infused with a sense of urgency?
3. Why are the narrator and Selam no longer allowed to play together?
4. What is the main point of the story, "What Language is That"?
5. What ban by the Nigerian government takes place just prior to the opening of the story, "Luxurious Hearses"?
6. What is notable about the story "What Language is That?"
7. What elements of Western life are uncomfortable for Jubril while on the bus?
8. What is at the base of all the trivial conflicts in the story?
9. How do the narrator and Selam find a way to communicate with each other when they are not allowed to play together?
10. Who are the narrator and Selam and what is their relationship?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)