|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator's parents no longer want her to play with whom?
2. How many. pages is this short story?
3. During the Christian and Muslim riots, Jubril was beaten and _________________________.
(a) Almost set on fire.
(c) Left in an alley.
(d) Thrown in the river.
4. Which of the following do Selam and the narrator NOT do when they see each other from their apartments?
(a) Smile big.
(b) Open their mouths wide.
(c) Mime hugging each other.
(d) Talk on the phone.
5. What is an emir?
(a) Desert animal.
(b) Prayer cloth.
(c) Holy man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the bus unable to leave as scheduled?
2. What was Jubril's punishment for stealing a goat?
3. Which of the following is NOT something the narrator likes about her best friend?
4. What does Madam Aniema do to the soldier to calm him down?
5. Why is the soldier anxious to reach the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the core source of all the violence that takes place in the story?
2. How do the narrator and Selam find a way to communicate with each other when they are not allowed to play together?
3. What is the main point of the story, "What Language is That"?
4. What is the unifying thread of the conflicts in the story?
5. Why are the narrator and Selam no longer allowed to play together?
6. Why does Akpan choose second person narration for the story?
7. What is the message of the story at the end?
8. How had Jubril lost his right hand and why is it important for him to hide that fact while on the bus?
9. How does Jubril disguise his being a Muslim while on the bus?
10. What is the narrator's father's advice to Selam regarding eating pork?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)