|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old are Otieno and Atieno?
2. When Maisha says she wants to get a full-time job, Jigana knows she is thinking about _________________________.
(a) Getting some education.
(b) Serving cocktails.
(c) Waiting tables.
(d) Joining a brothel.
3. What does Naema do to Baby while out begging to keep him dry?
(a) Holds an umbrella over him.
(b) Puts a hoodie on him.
(c) Puts a newspaper over him.
(d) Wraps him in plastic bags.
4. Why will Fofo Kpee not allow any windows in the house to be opened?
(a) He prefers to run the air conditioning.
(b) He has really bad allergies.
(c) He doesn't want people to see their luxuries and steal them.
(d) Too much dust comes in from the traffic.
5. What does Mama suggest giving the neighbors for Christmas?
(a) A liter of petrol.
(c) A fruitcake.
Short Answer Questions
1. The guard questions the children about ___________________.
2. Fofo makes the children memorize _____________________.
3. What has the man in #39 purchased recently?
4. What does the guard force the children to drink?
5. Where do Jigana and his family live?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Monique's innocence prevent her from understanding the blood and the ghosts?
2. What does the Chief signify in the story?
3. Why are the passengers on the bus infused with a sense of urgency?
4. How does Maisha's physical appearance symbolize her stolen innocence derived from her beauty?
5. Why do Mama and Papa encourage their children to sniff glue and drink alcohol?
6. What is the true extent of Mama's gratitude toward Maisha when she gets on her knees to thank her daughter?
7. How does Fofo Kpee explain the delivery of the new motorcycle to the children?
8. What is the main point of the story, "What Language is That"?
9. Who are the narrator and Selam and what is their relationship?
10. What is Baba's fantasy about Maisha's life and how does the rundown taxi actually symbolize the life Maisha will have?
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)