|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Maisha keep all her belongings?
(a) A wooden box.
(b) A cellar.
(c) A storage room.
(d) A closet.
2. How old is Yewa?
3. Fofo Kpee tells the congregation that his new riches come from ______________________.
(a) The childrens' parents.
(b) A new job.
(c) A lawsuit settlement.
(d) A lottery win.
4. What does Fofo tell Kotchikpa about Mama and Papa?
(a) They are wealthy.
(b) They are bad people.
(c) They have moved away.
(d) They no longer want him.
5. What does Mama do on Christmas morning to celebrate the day?
(a) Makes pancakes and tea.
(b) Goes to church.
(c) Reads the names of ancestors written in the Bible.
(d) Sings Christmas carols.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the children does NOT escape from the hut?
2. How old is Jigana?
3. How old are Otieno and Atieno?
4. What does Naema's boyfriend give her on Christmas?
5. Mama and Papa bring new siblings named _________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. When Monique hears Maman insist that Papa must do something he does not want to do, what does it foreshadow?
2. The title of the book, "Say You're One of Them" comes from something Maman says to Monique. What is the significance of the statement?
3. What does the wizard tell Monique before he and the rest of the mob leave the house?
4. Who is Jubril and why must he disguise his religious identity aboard a bus headed out of the city?i
5. What is the true extent of Mama's gratitude toward Maisha when she gets on her knees to thank her daughter?
6. What is the core source of all the violence that takes place in the story?
7. Who is Fofo Kpee?
8. How does Jubril disguise his being a Muslim while on the bus?
9. How does Maisha's physical appearance symbolize her stolen innocence derived from her beauty?
10. Who is Hadiya and how does she impact the relationship between the narrator and Selam?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)