|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The guard questions the children about ___________________.
(a) The neighbors.
(b) Their schooling.
(d) Their new background stories.
2. What does the guard tell the children?
(a) They will never leave the house again.
(b) They are going away to military school.
(c) They are going back to school.
(d) They are to be sold.
3. Even though Kotchikpa no longer wants to travel to Gabon with Mama and Papa, Yewa is still allured by Western food and ___________________.
(c) Theme parks.
4. Who arrives unexpectedly one night to say that the children will be leaving within the week?
(a) Monsieur Abraham.
(b) Big Guy.
5. How old are Otieno and Atieno?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is NOT one of the things that Jinga does when Maisha leaves?
2. What does Baba do to the taxi driver?
3. What do the family members do when they eat the food that Maisha has brought home?
4. How does Maisha arrive home the next morning?
5. Where does Fofo Kpee take the children on their first ride on the motorcycle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the policemen who take the sick man off the bus represent the corruption that exists in the country?
2. Who is Fofo Kpee?
3. Why is Maisha a prostitute at the age of twelve?
4. Why does Jigana get special treatment in the family?
5. What is the true extent of Mama's gratitude toward Maisha when she gets on her knees to thank her daughter?
6. What is the unifying thread of the conflicts in the story?
7. Who is Hadiya and how does she impact the relationship between the narrator and Selam?
8. What does Monique see dripping down the white walls as she heads to the bathroom to bathe?
9. How does Monique's innocence prevent her from understanding the blood and the ghosts?
10. What is Baba's fantasy about Maisha's life and how does the rundown taxi actually symbolize the life Maisha will have?
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)