|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has the man in #39 purchased recently?
(a) A motorcycle.
(b) A car.
(c) A boat.
(d) A house.
2. Why do the children take Baby to town with them?
(a) They can teach her songs.
(b) People give more money when Baby is with them.
(c) The store owner gives them candy.
(d) They want to buy her some ice cream.
3. What does Naema do to Baby while out begging to keep him dry?
(a) Holds an umbrella over him.
(b) Puts a hoodie on him.
(c) Puts a newspaper over him.
(d) Wraps him in plastic bags.
4. What does Mama do for her children when they are hungry on Christmas morning?
(a) Makes oatmeal.
(b) Gives them toast.
(c) Gives them glue to sniff.
(d) Takes them out for breakfast.
5. In what country does the story take place?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the person in #61 begin to shake Fofo and yell at him?
2. What do the twins drink until they get sick?
3. Kotchikpa overhears Fofo saying that he will travel to Braffe soon to collect ____________________.
4. Which of the following does Mama NOT do when Maisha smiles at her?
5. Which one of the children does NOT escape from the hut?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Maman's behavior with her children after she decides to sacrifice herself to the mob.
2. How does Monique describe her mother, a Tutsi woman, and her father, a Hutu man?
3. What does the narrator do during the days after being restricted from playing with Selam?
4. Who are Kotchikpa and Yewa?
5. What is the main point of the story, "What Language is That"?
6. Who stops the man in the yellow trousers from tearing Monique's womb as he rapes her?
7. How do the narrator and Selam find a way to communicate with each other when they are not allowed to play together?
8. Where are the parents of the children and why do they live with Fofo Kpee?
9. What role does Maisha play in the family and why do her parents resent her?
10. Why are the passengers on the bus infused with a sense of urgency?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)