|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a tout?
(a) A chef.
(b) A politician.
(c) A solicitor.
(d) A thief.
2. Where are the children kept after the motorcycle accident?
(a) A clinic.
(b) A hospital room.
(c) Their bedroom.
(d) The church basement.
3. How does Maisha arrive home the next morning?
(a) A Jaguar.
(b) An old taxi.
(c) A bike.
(d) A motorcycle.
4. What does Naema do to Baby while out begging to keep him dry?
(a) Wraps him in plastic bags.
(b) Holds an umbrella over him.
(c) Puts a newspaper over him.
(d) Puts a hoodie on him.
5. How old is Kotchikpa?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why have the children not seen their parents for two years?
2. Kotchikpa realizes that their hut is going to be ___________________________.
3. How old is Maisha?
4. What does Mama do for her children when they are hungry on Christmas morning?
5. Even though Kotchikpa no longer wants to travel to Gabon with Mama and Papa, Yewa is still allured by Western food and ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the members of Jigana's family?
2. What real life issue in Africa does this story address?
3. What is the true extent of Mama's gratitude toward Maisha when she gets on her knees to thank her daughter?
4. How does Maisha's physical appearance symbolize her stolen innocence derived from her beauty?
5. What is Baba's fantasy about Maisha's life and how does the rundown taxi actually symbolize the life Maisha will have?
6. What is the importance of "the bad night" when Fofo masturbates in front of the children?
7. Where does Fofo store his acquired goods and why are they really useless?
8. Why does Mama try to break into Maisha's trunk?
9. Why would Kotchikpa think that the motorcycle is a reward from God?
10. What does the motorcycle symbolize in the story?
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)