|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is notable about the man in #39?
(a) He is crippled.
(b) He is deaf.
(c) He has a scar on his face.
(d) He has white hair.
2. Where does Fofo Kpee take the children on their first ride on the motorcycle?
(a) The beach.
(b) The mall.
(d) The ice cream shop.
3. What does Naema do to Baby while out begging to keep him dry?
(a) Puts a hoodie on him.
(b) Puts a newspaper over him.
(c) Holds an umbrella over him.
(d) Wraps him in plastic bags.
4. What does Jigana want to do to Maisha's clients?
(a) Shoot them.
(b) Stab them.
(c) Fight them.
(d) Strangle them.
5. Who is outraged that he/she overslept on Christmas and lost the chance to beg from white tourists?
(a) The mother.
(c) The father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What treats does Fofo Kpee give to the children?
2. What does Jigana think he should have done to help support the family?
3. What does Naema's boyfriend give her on Christmas?
4. Why do the children take Baby to town with them?
5. Maisha snaps at Jinga for ______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Akpan choose second person narration for the story?
2. What does the narrator do during the days after being restricted from playing with Selam?
3. How does Maisha's physical appearance symbolize her stolen innocence derived from her beauty?
4. What is notable about the story "What Language is That?"
5. Explain Maman's behavior with her children after she decides to sacrifice herself to the mob.
6. What does the narrator experience on the day her parents inform her she can no longer play with Selam?
7. How do the narrator and Selam find a way to communicate with each other when they are not allowed to play together?
8. What role does Maisha play in the family and why do her parents resent her?
9. Who are Kotchikpa and Yewa?
10. What is Baba's fantasy about Maisha's life and how does the rundown taxi actually symbolize the life Maisha will have?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)