|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator and her best friend ______________________.
(a) Ride bikes together.
(b) Swim in the sea.
(c) Do everything together.
(d) Take piano lessons.
2. What had a girl named Hadiya told Selam at school one day?
(a) She could tutor her.
(b) Hamburger is pork.
(c) She should join the choir.
(d) A certain boy liked her.
3. What does the narrator do when she first sees Selam at her apartment?
(a) She yells at her.
(b) She closes the drapes.
(c) She stares at her.
(d) She throws her some candy.
4. Which of the following is NOT something the narrator likes about her best friend?
(c) Long legs.
(d) Sense of humor.
5. What is an emir?
(a) Desert animal.
(c) Holy man.
(d) Prayer cloth.
6. During the Christian and Muslim riots, Jubril was beaten and _________________________.
(a) Thrown in the river.
(b) Almost set on fire.
(d) Left in an alley.
7. How did Yusuf die?
(a) He was stoned to death.
(b) He was stabbed.
(c) He had a terminal illness.
(d) He drowned.
8. Why do the bus passengers side with Jubril against the village chief?
(a) Jubril passed out water that the chief was hiding.
(b) Jubril helped a small boy who the chief scared.
(c) The chief took Jubril's seat but has no ticket.
(d) Jubril shared his food with the other passengers.
9. Why does Selam suddenly rush off her balcony and back into her apartment?
(a) She needs to get a jacket.
(b) It has started to rain.
(c) She has to answer the phone.
(d) She doesn't want her mother to catch her.
10. What is notable about Jubril's appearance?
(a) He has turquoise eyes.
(b) One leg is shorter than the other.
(c) He has burn scars on his face.
(d) He is missing a hand.
11. Which of the following do the Christian rebels NOT do to the person who is sheltering Jubril?
(a) Beat the person.
(b) Pour gasoline over the person's belongings.
(c) Shoot the person.
(d) Threaten to burn his/her house.
12. Jubril buys a ticket on which bus line to take him out of the city to his father's village?
(a) Luxurious Buses.
(b) Nigerian Express Lines.
(d) Greyhound Bus.
13. What does the chief drop into Jubril's lap?
(a) A rosary.
(b) A magazine.
(d) A bottle of water.
14. One day, the narrator smells ________________ in the apartment.
15. The narrator's parents no longer want her to play with whom?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the soldier carry onto the bus?
2. What is the narrator looking for at Selam's apartment building?
3. Why is the soldier anxious to reach the village?
4. Why is the bus unable to leave as scheduled?
5. What place does the narrator have in her family?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)