|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is notable about Jubril's appearance?
(a) He is missing a hand.
(b) He has burn scars on his face.
(c) One leg is shorter than the other.
(d) He has turquoise eyes.
2. The chief offers some crackers to Jubril on what condition?
(a) Jubril runs an errand for him.
(b) Jubril takes them with his right hand.
(c) Jubril leaves him alone.
(d) Jubril pays him.
3. In what country does the story take place?
4. Why does the person in #115 yell at Jubril?
(a) He spilled water on them.
(b) He dropped his bag on her lap.
(c) He stepped on his foot.
(d) He had the audacity to speak to him.
5. The narrator and her best friend vacation with ___________________.
(a) A neighbor's family.
(b) The church group.
(c) The narrator's family.
(d) The best friend's family.
6. What candy do the two friends like to eat?
(a) Gummy bears.
(b) Smiling Cow toffees.
(c) Red licorice.
(d) Peanut butter cups.
7. The soldier wants to be a farmer or a ____________________.
8. Which of the following do Selam and the narrator NOT do when they see each other from their apartments?
(a) Open their mouths wide.
(b) Mime hugging each other.
(c) Talk on the phone.
(d) Smile big.
9. Why does Selam suddenly rush off her balcony and back into her apartment?
(a) It has started to rain.
(b) She has to answer the phone.
(c) She needs to get a jacket.
(d) She doesn't want her mother to catch her.
10. Why do two policeman enter the Luxurious Bus?
(a) To talk to the village chief.
(b) To stop a riot.
(c) To remove the sick man.
(d) To look for a runaway girl.
11. What does the narrator see Selam doing at her apartment one night?
(a) Drying dishes.
(b) Standing on the balcony.
(c) Watching television.
(d) Reading a book.
12. The narrator and her best friend ______________________.
(a) Ride bikes together.
(b) Do everything together.
(c) Swim in the sea.
(d) Take piano lessons.
13. This story is about the divide between ____________________________.
(a) Catholics and Baptists.
(b) Muslims and Christians.
(c) men and women.
(d) Democrats and Republicans.
14. What place does the narrator have in her family?
(a) The middle child.
(b) An only child.
(c) The youngest child.
(d) The oldest child.
15. Why is the bus unable to leave as scheduled?
(a) The weather is too perilous.
(b) The roads out of the city are blocked.
(c) There is engine trouble.
(d) The driver can't be found.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells this story?
2. Who saves Jubril after he has passed out in a field?
3. What does the narrator note about the streets outside the apartment?
4. What differences do the two friends have?
5. What is the setting of the story?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)