|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "Best friends don't quarrel" when Selam begins to cry?
(b) The narrator.
(c) The narrator's father.
2. What does the narrator's father tell Selam?
(a) She is the best goalie on the soccer team.
(b) She should eat whatever she wants when with them.
(c) He can tutor her in algebra if she wants him to.
(d) She should study French.
3. Jubril was baptized into which religion?
4. How many. pages is this short story?
5. What does Madam Aniema do to the soldier to calm him down?
(a) Sprinkles holy water on him.
(b) Offers him some food.
(c) Sings to him.
(d) Rubs his hands.
6. Emeka points out Jubril as being a ______________.
7. What does a nosy woman on the bus ask Jubril?
(a) Why he is not in school.
(b) Why his hair is so long.
(c) Why he is traveling alone.
(d) Why he isn't watching TV.
8. A man named Emeka takes care of another man who has ___________________.
9. How old is the narrator?
10. The narrator is happy because __________________________.
(a) It is her birthday.
(b) She and Selam have found a way to communicate.
(c) She got a new puppy.
(d) Her family is going on vacation.
11. What candy do the two friends like to eat?
(a) Smiling Cow toffees.
(b) Peanut butter cups.
(c) Red licorice.
(d) Gummy bears.
12. The narrator's parents no longer want her to play with whom?
13. The chief offers some crackers to Jubril on what condition?
(a) Jubril runs an errand for him.
(b) Jubril takes them with his right hand.
(c) Jubril leaves him alone.
(d) Jubril pays him.
14. What differences do the two friends have?
(a) Language differences.
(b) Cultural differences.
(c) Religious differences.
(d) Athletic differences.
15. What is an emir?
(b) Holy man.
(c) Desert animal.
(d) Prayer cloth.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old are the girls in the story?
2. Why is the soldier anxious to reach the village?
3. The narrator and her best friend ______________________.
4. Jubril buys a ticket on which bus line to take him out of the city to his father's village?
5. How many days does the narrator watch Selam's apartment building?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)