|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old are the girls in the story?
2. During the Christian and Muslim riots, Jubril was beaten and _________________________.
(a) Thrown in the river.
(b) Almost set on fire.
(c) Left in an alley.
3. Who saves Jubril after he has passed out in a field?
(a) The bus driver.
(b) A policeman.
(c) A priest.
(d) A Muslim man.
4. What candy do the two friends like to eat?
(a) Peanut butter cups.
(b) Smiling Cow toffees.
(c) Red licorice.
(d) Gummy bears.
5. Which of the following is NOT something the soldier threatens to do if he is forced off the bus?
(a) Shoots imaginary machine guns into the air.
(b) Light himself on fire.
(c) Curses the passengers.
(d) Threatens to kill someone.
6. What does Madam Aniema do to the soldier to calm him down?
(a) Sprinkles holy water on him.
(b) Offers him some food.
(c) Sings to him.
(d) Rubs his hands.
7. Emeka points out Jubril as being a ______________.
8. The soldier wants to be a farmer or a ____________________.
9. Why is Jubril uncomfortable around the women on the bus?
(a) They flirt with him.
(b) They are in Western clothes.
(c) They wear too much makeup.
(d) They wear too much perfume.
10. What does Jubril fear will reveal that he is a Muslim?
(a) His clothing.
(b) His books.
(c) His missing hand.
(d) His food.
11. What differences do the two friends have?
(a) Religious differences.
(b) Language differences.
(c) Cultural differences.
(d) Athletic differences.
12. What is the narrator looking for at Selam's apartment building?
(a) The pigeons roosting on the roof.
(b) A light in the kitchen window.
(c) Smoke from the fireplace.
(d) The blinds to open.
13. Jubril buys a ticket on which bus line to take him out of the city to his father's village?
(a) Nigerian Express Lines.
(c) Greyhound Bus.
(d) Luxurious Buses.
14. Why is the soldier anxious to reach the village?
(a) To save his sick dog.
(b) To see his new baby.
(c) To see his girlfriend.
(d) To attend a wedding.
15. Why does the narrator scream at Selam?
(a) Selam had talked to Hadiya.
(b) She is swerving on her bike.
(c) She made a soccer goal.
(d) She is boarding a train.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a nosy woman on the bus ask Jubril?
2. Why does Jubril not watch the televisions on the bus?
3. In what country does the story take place?
4. What is Jubril's adopted Christian name?
5. Why does the village chief get so angry at Jubril?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)