|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jubril die?
(a) He is shot.
(b) He is hanged.
(c) He drowns.
(d) His throat is slit.
2. Why is the bus unable to leave as scheduled?
(a) There is engine trouble.
(b) The roads out of the city are blocked.
(c) The driver can't be found.
(d) The weather is too perilous.
3. What does the narrator's father tell Selam?
(a) She should eat whatever she wants when with them.
(b) She should study French.
(c) She is the best goalie on the soccer team.
(d) He can tutor her in algebra if she wants him to.
4. What is an emir?
(b) Desert animal.
(c) Holy man.
(d) Prayer cloth.
5. Whom does Jubril ask to come on the bus to settle the matter about his seat?
(a) The bus terminal manager.
(b) A priest.
(c) A city official.
(d) The police.
6. Who is the protagonist of the story?
7. The chief offers some crackers to Jubril on what condition?
(a) Jubril runs an errand for him.
(b) Jubril takes them with his right hand.
(c) Jubril pays him.
(d) Jubril leaves him alone.
8. What does the narrator see Selam doing at her apartment one night?
(a) Reading a book.
(b) Watching television.
(c) Standing on the balcony.
(d) Drying dishes.
9. What does the narrator do when she first sees Selam at her apartment?
(a) She closes the drapes.
(b) She yells at her.
(c) She throws her some candy.
(d) She stares at her.
10. How did Yusuf die?
(a) He drowned.
(b) He was stoned to death.
(c) He was stabbed.
(d) He had a terminal illness.
11. Who is the best friend of the person in #74?
12. Why does Jubril not watch the televisions on the bus?
(a) They show offensive Western images.
(b) He would prefer to sleep.
(c) The screens are too blurry.
(d) His eyes are too tired.
13. What does the chief drop into Jubril's lap?
(a) A bottle of water.
(b) A rosary.
(c) A magazine.
14. What is Jubril's adopted Christian name?
15. What does the soldier carry onto the bus?
(a) A set of golf clubs.
(b) A dog.
(c) A machete.
(d) A Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what country does the story take place?
2. What does a nosy woman on the bus ask Jubril?
3. What is the setting of the story?
4. What does Madam Aniema do to the soldier to calm him down?
5. During one vacation, Selam asks the narrator ___________________________.
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)