|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Selam suddenly rush off her balcony and back into her apartment?
(a) She needs to get a jacket.
(b) She doesn't want her mother to catch her.
(c) She has to answer the phone.
(d) It has started to rain.
2. What does Jubril fear will reveal that he is a Muslim?
(a) His food.
(b) His missing hand.
(c) His books.
(d) His clothing.
3. Why do the bus passengers side with Jubril against the village chief?
(a) The chief took Jubril's seat but has no ticket.
(b) Jubril helped a small boy who the chief scared.
(c) Jubril shared his food with the other passengers.
(d) Jubril passed out water that the chief was hiding.
4. Who is the best friend of the person in #74?
5. In what country does the story take place?
6. Why does Jubril not watch the televisions on the bus?
(a) They show offensive Western images.
(b) His eyes are too tired.
(c) He would prefer to sleep.
(d) The screens are too blurry.
7. During one vacation, Selam asks the narrator ___________________________.
(a) If she wants to learn French.
(b) If she knows how to water ski.
(c) If hamburger is pork.
(d) If she has ever kissed a boy.
8. Why does the village chief get so angry at Jubril?
(a) He turns off the television.
(b) He spills water on him.
(c) He steps on his foot.
(d) He brushes up against his shoulder.
9. Why do two policeman enter the Luxurious Bus?
(a) To look for a runaway girl.
(b) To stop a riot.
(c) To remove the sick man.
(d) To talk to the village chief.
10. The soldier wants to be a farmer or a ____________________.
11. Why is the soldier anxious to reach the village?
(a) To see his girlfriend.
(b) To attend a wedding.
(c) To save his sick dog.
(d) To see his new baby.
12. What place does Selam have in her family?
(a) The middle child.
(b) An only child.
(c) The oldest child.
(d) The youngest child.
13. What differences do the two friends have?
(a) Language differences.
(b) Cultural differences.
(c) Religious differences.
(d) Athletic differences.
14. As the story begins, the Nigerian government places a ban on the transportation of _________________ from one end of the country to another.
15. What was Jubril's punishment for stealing a goat?
(a) He is banished from his village.
(b) He spent six weeks in prison.
(c) He had to pay for the goat.
(d) His hand was amputated.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an emir?
2. What does the narrator see Selam doing at her apartment one night?
3. Who is the protagonist of the story?
4. Who is Yusuf?
5. The chief offers some crackers to Jubril on what condition?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)