|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During one vacation, Selam asks the narrator ___________________________.
(a) If she wants to learn French.
(b) If hamburger is pork.
(c) If she has ever kissed a boy.
(d) If she knows how to water ski.
2. Why do the bus passengers side with Jubril against the village chief?
(a) The chief took Jubril's seat but has no ticket.
(b) Jubril passed out water that the chief was hiding.
(c) Jubril shared his food with the other passengers.
(d) Jubril helped a small boy who the chief scared.
3. One day, the narrator smells ________________ in the apartment.
4. What is an emir?
(a) Holy man.
(b) Desert animal.
(d) Prayer cloth.
5. Who tells this story?
(b) The narrator.
6. Which of the following is NOT something the soldier threatens to do if he is forced off the bus?
(a) Shoots imaginary machine guns into the air.
(b) Light himself on fire.
(c) Threatens to kill someone.
(d) Curses the passengers.
7. The soldier wants to be a farmer or a ____________________.
8. Why does the village chief get so angry at Jubril?
(a) He spills water on him.
(b) He turns off the television.
(c) He brushes up against his shoulder.
(d) He steps on his foot.
9. The narrator is happy because __________________________.
(a) She and Selam have found a way to communicate.
(b) It is her birthday.
(c) She got a new puppy.
(d) Her family is going on vacation.
10. As the story begins, the Nigerian government places a ban on the transportation of _________________ from one end of the country to another.
11. What place does Selam have in her family?
(a) The middle child.
(b) The oldest child.
(c) An only child.
(d) The youngest child.
12. How old are the girls in the story?
13. The narrator's parents no longer want her to play with whom?
14. Who is the protagonist of the story?
15. How many days does the narrator watch Selam's apartment building?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator's father tell Selam?
2. Who says, "Best friends don't quarrel" when Selam begins to cry?
3. The chief orders the passengers on the bus to not mention the word ________________ on the trip.
4. Why do two policeman enter the Luxurious Bus?
5. What is Jubril's adopted Christian name?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)