|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the bus unable to leave as scheduled?
(a) The driver can't be found.
(b) The weather is too perilous.
(c) The roads out of the city are blocked.
(d) There is engine trouble.
2. During one vacation, Selam asks the narrator ___________________________.
(a) If hamburger is pork.
(b) If she wants to learn French.
(c) If she has ever kissed a boy.
(d) If she knows how to water ski.
3. Why does Jubril not watch the televisions on the bus?
(a) The screens are too blurry.
(b) They show offensive Western images.
(c) His eyes are too tired.
(d) He would prefer to sleep.
4. How did Yusuf die?
(a) He had a terminal illness.
(b) He drowned.
(c) He was stabbed.
(d) He was stoned to death.
5. Why is Jubril uncomfortable around the women on the bus?
(a) They wear too much makeup.
(b) They flirt with him.
(c) They wear too much perfume.
(d) They are in Western clothes.
6. What does the narrator note about the streets outside the apartment?
(a) They are empty.
(b) They have oil spots.
(c) They are wet.
(d) They are filled with people.
7. What place does Selam have in her family?
(a) The oldest child.
(b) The middle child.
(c) The youngest child.
(d) An only child.
8. Whom does Jubril ask to come on the bus to settle the matter about his seat?
(a) A city official.
(b) The police.
(c) A priest.
(d) The bus terminal manager.
9. What place does the narrator have in her family?
(a) The middle child.
(b) An only child.
(c) The oldest child.
(d) The youngest child.
10. What differences do the two friends have?
(a) Religious differences.
(b) Athletic differences.
(c) Language differences.
(d) Cultural differences.
11. One day, the narrator smells ________________ in the apartment.
12. How does Jubril die?
(a) His throat is slit.
(b) He drowns.
(c) He is hanged.
(d) He is shot.
13. What does the narrator do when she first sees Selam at her apartment?
(a) She throws her some candy.
(b) She stares at her.
(c) She yells at her.
(d) She closes the drapes.
14. Which of the following is NOT something Selam likes about the narrator?
(b) Little eyes.
(c) Artistic talent.
(d) Lean face.
15. What does a nosy woman on the bus ask Jubril?
(a) Why his hair is so long.
(b) Why he is not in school.
(c) Why he isn't watching TV.
(d) Why he is traveling alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What candy do the two friends like to eat?
2. The chief offers some crackers to Jubril on what condition?
3. What does the narrator's father tell Selam?
4. Jubril was baptized into which religion?
5. What does the narrator see Selam doing at her apartment one night?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)