|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jubril not watch the televisions on the bus?
(a) They show offensive Western images.
(b) His eyes are too tired.
(c) The screens are too blurry.
(d) He would prefer to sleep.
2. Emeka points out Jubril as being a ______________.
3. What does the narrator see Selam doing at her apartment one night?
(a) Reading a book.
(b) Standing on the balcony.
(c) Drying dishes.
(d) Watching television.
4. How does Jubril die?
(a) His throat is slit.
(b) He is shot.
(c) He is hanged.
(d) He drowns.
5. Who says, "Best friends don't quarrel" when Selam begins to cry?
(b) The narrator's father.
(c) The narrator.
6. Which of the following do the Christian rebels NOT do to the person who is sheltering Jubril?
(a) Pour gasoline over the person's belongings.
(b) Shoot the person.
(c) Threaten to burn his/her house.
(d) Beat the person.
7. As the story begins, the Nigerian government places a ban on the transportation of _________________ from one end of the country to another.
8. Which of the following is NOT something the narrator likes about her best friend?
(b) Sense of humor.
(d) Long legs.
9. What differences do the two friends have?
(a) Religious differences.
(b) Language differences.
(c) Cultural differences.
(d) Athletic differences.
10. What is the narrator looking for at Selam's apartment building?
(a) The blinds to open.
(b) A light in the kitchen window.
(c) The pigeons roosting on the roof.
(d) Smoke from the fireplace.
11. Selam's parents have given her permission to eat ___________________.
(a) Chicken strips.
(b) French fries.
12. What does Jubril fear will reveal that he is a Muslim?
(a) His clothing.
(b) His food.
(c) His books.
(d) His missing hand.
13. How many days does the narrator watch Selam's apartment building?
14. Why is the bus unable to leave as scheduled?
(a) The roads out of the city are blocked.
(b) There is engine trouble.
(c) The weather is too perilous.
(d) The driver can't be found.
15. What place does the narrator have in her family?
(a) An only child.
(b) The youngest child.
(c) The middle child.
(d) The oldest child.
Short Answer Questions
1. During one vacation, Selam asks the narrator ___________________________.
2. Who is Yusuf?
3. Which of the following is NOT something the soldier threatens to do if he is forced off the bus?
4. How old is the narrator?
5. Why do the bus passengers side with Jubril against the village chief?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)