|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT something the narrator likes about her best friend?
(a) Sense of humor.
(b) Long legs.
2. What does Jubril fear will reveal that he is a Muslim?
(a) His books.
(b) His food.
(c) His missing hand.
(d) His clothing.
3. The narrator is happy because __________________________.
(a) It is her birthday.
(b) She got a new puppy.
(c) She and Selam have found a way to communicate.
(d) Her family is going on vacation.
4. The narrator and her best friend vacation with ___________________.
(a) A neighbor's family.
(b) The church group.
(c) The best friend's family.
(d) The narrator's family.
5. Selam's parents have given her permission to eat ___________________.
(b) Chicken strips.
(d) French fries.
6. What does the narrator see Selam doing at her apartment one night?
(a) Reading a book.
(b) Drying dishes.
(c) Standing on the balcony.
(d) Watching television.
7. Jubril was baptized into which religion?
8. What is Jubril's adopted Christian name?
9. What was Jubril's punishment for stealing a goat?
(a) He spent six weeks in prison.
(b) He is banished from his village.
(c) His hand was amputated.
(d) He had to pay for the goat.
10. Who is Yusuf?
(a) Jubril's grandfather.
(b) Jubril's best friend.
(c) Jubril's father.
(d) Jubril's brother.
11. Which of the following is NOT something the soldier threatens to do if he is forced off the bus?
(a) Light himself on fire.
(b) Curses the passengers.
(c) Shoots imaginary machine guns into the air.
(d) Threatens to kill someone.
12. How did Yusuf die?
(a) He was stoned to death.
(b) He was stabbed.
(c) He had a terminal illness.
(d) He drowned.
13. How does Jubril die?
(a) His throat is slit.
(b) He is shot.
(c) He drowns.
(d) He is hanged.
14. This story is told from which point of view?
(a) Third person omniscient.
(b) Second person narrative.
(c) First person narrative.
(d) Third person narrative.
15. During the Christian and Muslim riots, Jubril was beaten and _________________________.
(a) Left in an alley.
(b) Almost set on fire.
(c) Thrown in the river.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator scream at Selam?
2. What does the narrator do when she first sees Selam at her apartment?
3. Why does Selam suddenly rush off her balcony and back into her apartment?
4. This story is about the divide between ____________________________.
5. What does Madam Aniema do to the soldier to calm him down?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)