|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following do the Christian rebels NOT do to the person who is sheltering Jubril?
(a) Threaten to burn his/her house.
(b) Pour gasoline over the person's belongings.
(c) Beat the person.
(d) Shoot the person.
2. Who says, "Best friends don't quarrel" when Selam begins to cry?
(a) The narrator.
(c) The narrator's father.
3. What does the narrator do when she first sees Selam at her apartment?
(a) She closes the drapes.
(b) She stares at her.
(c) She throws her some candy.
(d) She yells at her.
4. How does Jubril die?
(a) He drowns.
(b) His throat is slit.
(c) He is shot.
(d) He is hanged.
5. What does the narrator's father tell Selam?
(a) She should study French.
(b) He can tutor her in algebra if she wants him to.
(c) She should eat whatever she wants when with them.
(d) She is the best goalie on the soccer team.
6. What is notable about Jubril's appearance?
(a) One leg is shorter than the other.
(b) He has burn scars on his face.
(c) He has turquoise eyes.
(d) He is missing a hand.
7. What is Jubril's adopted Christian name?
8. How old is the narrator?
9. Why does the village chief get so angry at Jubril?
(a) He turns off the television.
(b) He steps on his foot.
(c) He brushes up against his shoulder.
(d) He spills water on him.
10. As the story begins, the Nigerian government places a ban on the transportation of _________________ from one end of the country to another.
11. What place does Selam have in her family?
(a) The youngest child.
(b) The middle child.
(c) The oldest child.
(d) An only child.
12. The narrator and her best friend ______________________.
(a) Take piano lessons.
(b) Ride bikes together.
(c) Do everything together.
(d) Swim in the sea.
13. What differences do the two friends have?
(a) Language differences.
(b) Athletic differences.
(c) Religious differences.
(d) Cultural differences.
14. What does Jubril fear will reveal that he is a Muslim?
(a) His books.
(b) His food.
(c) His missing hand.
(d) His clothing.
15. Why is Jubril uncomfortable around the women on the bus?
(a) They wear too much makeup.
(b) They flirt with him.
(c) They wear too much perfume.
(d) They are in Western clothes.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what country does the story take place?
2. During the Christian and Muslim riots, Jubril was beaten and _________________________.
3. The chief orders the passengers on the bus to not mention the word ________________ on the trip.
4. Why do the bus passengers side with Jubril against the village chief?
5. Which of the following is NOT something the narrator likes about her best friend?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)