|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A man named Emeka takes care of another man who has ___________________.
2. Emeka points out Jubril as being a ______________.
3. This story is about the divide between ____________________________.
(a) Democrats and Republicans.
(b) Catholics and Baptists.
(c) Muslims and Christians.
(d) men and women.
4. What is an emir?
(a) Desert animal.
(b) Holy man.
(d) Prayer cloth.
5. How old is the narrator?
6. The narrator and her best friend ______________________.
(a) Do everything together.
(b) Take piano lessons.
(c) Swim in the sea.
(d) Ride bikes together.
7. Why does the person in #115 yell at Jubril?
(a) He dropped his bag on her lap.
(b) He had the audacity to speak to him.
(c) He spilled water on them.
(d) He stepped on his foot.
8. Who has taken Jubril's reserved seat on the bus?
(a) A village chief.
(b) A priest.
(c) A school girl.
(d) A mother and child.
9. What does Madam Aniema do to the soldier to calm him down?
(a) Sprinkles holy water on him.
(b) Sings to him.
(c) Rubs his hands.
(d) Offers him some food.
10. Why is the bus unable to leave as scheduled?
(a) The driver can't be found.
(b) The weather is too perilous.
(c) The roads out of the city are blocked.
(d) There is engine trouble.
11. During the Christian and Muslim riots, Jubril was beaten and _________________________.
(a) Almost set on fire.
(c) Thrown in the river.
(d) Left in an alley.
12. What does the narrator note about the streets outside the apartment?
(a) They have oil spots.
(b) They are filled with people.
(c) They are empty.
(d) They are wet.
13. Who is the protagonist of the story?
14. What does the narrator do when she first sees Selam at her apartment?
(a) She yells at her.
(b) She stares at her.
(c) She closes the drapes.
(d) She throws her some candy.
15. Why is the soldier anxious to reach the village?
(a) To save his sick dog.
(b) To attend a wedding.
(c) To see his girlfriend.
(d) To see his new baby.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the chief drop into Jubril's lap?
2. What was Jubril's punishment for stealing a goat?
3. As the story begins, the Nigerian government places a ban on the transportation of _________________ from one end of the country to another.
4. Who tells this story?
5. Why do the narrator's parents no longer want her to play with a certain girl?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)