|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the chief drop into Jubril's lap?
(a) A bottle of water.
(b) A magazine.
(d) A rosary.
2. In what country does the story take place?
3. Selam's parents have given her permission to eat ___________________.
(a) Chicken strips.
(c) French fries.
4. Emeka points out Jubril as being a ______________.
5. This story is told from which point of view?
(a) Third person omniscient.
(b) Second person narrative.
(c) Third person narrative.
(d) First person narrative.
6. Why does the narrator scream at Selam?
(a) She is boarding a train.
(b) Selam had talked to Hadiya.
(c) She is swerving on her bike.
(d) She made a soccer goal.
7. What had a girl named Hadiya told Selam at school one day?
(a) She could tutor her.
(b) She should join the choir.
(c) Hamburger is pork.
(d) A certain boy liked her.
8. Which of the following is NOT something the soldier threatens to do if he is forced off the bus?
(a) Shoots imaginary machine guns into the air.
(b) Curses the passengers.
(c) Threatens to kill someone.
(d) Light himself on fire.
9. Who says, "Best friends don't quarrel" when Selam begins to cry?
(a) The narrator's father.
(c) The narrator.
10. What differences do the two friends have?
(a) Language differences.
(b) Cultural differences.
(c) Athletic differences.
(d) Religious differences.
11. Which of the following do Selam and the narrator NOT do when they see each other from their apartments?
(a) Mime hugging each other.
(b) Talk on the phone.
(c) Open their mouths wide.
(d) Smile big.
12. Why is Jubril uncomfortable around the women on the bus?
(a) They wear too much perfume.
(b) They are in Western clothes.
(c) They flirt with him.
(d) They wear too much makeup.
13. What place does the narrator have in her family?
(a) The middle child.
(b) The youngest child.
(c) The oldest child.
(d) An only child.
14. How does Jubril die?
(a) He is hanged.
(b) His throat is slit.
(c) He is shot.
(d) He drowns.
15. Why is the bus unable to leave as scheduled?
(a) The driver can't be found.
(b) The weather is too perilous.
(c) There is engine trouble.
(d) The roads out of the city are blocked.
Short Answer Questions
1. This story is about the divide between ____________________________.
2. What was Jubril's punishment for stealing a goat?
3. What is notable about Jubril's appearance?
4. How many days does the narrator watch Selam's apartment building?
5. The narrator and her best friend vacation with ___________________.
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)