|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Selam suddenly rush off her balcony and back into her apartment?
(a) She doesn't want her mother to catch her.
(b) She has to answer the phone.
(c) It has started to rain.
(d) She needs to get a jacket.
2. Why does Jubril not watch the televisions on the bus?
(a) He would prefer to sleep.
(b) The screens are too blurry.
(c) His eyes are too tired.
(d) They show offensive Western images.
3. What is the setting of the story?
4. Which of the following do Selam and the narrator NOT do when they see each other from their apartments?
(a) Mime hugging each other.
(b) Talk on the phone.
(c) Open their mouths wide.
(d) Smile big.
5. Which of the following do the Christian rebels NOT do to the person who is sheltering Jubril?
(a) Shoot the person.
(b) Beat the person.
(c) Pour gasoline over the person's belongings.
(d) Threaten to burn his/her house.
6. Why does the village chief get so angry at Jubril?
(a) He steps on his foot.
(b) He turns off the television.
(c) He brushes up against his shoulder.
(d) He spills water on him.
7. What candy do the two friends like to eat?
(a) Gummy bears.
(b) Red licorice.
(c) Peanut butter cups.
(d) Smiling Cow toffees.
8. What does Jubril fear will reveal that he is a Muslim?
(a) His food.
(b) His books.
(c) His missing hand.
(d) His clothing.
9. How many days does the narrator watch Selam's apartment building?
10. What does the narrator do when she first sees Selam at her apartment?
(a) She throws her some candy.
(b) She yells at her.
(c) She stares at her.
(d) She closes the drapes.
11. Who is Yusuf?
(a) Jubril's father.
(b) Jubril's best friend.
(c) Jubril's brother.
(d) Jubril's grandfather.
12. Jubril was baptized into which religion?
13. How does Jubril die?
(a) His throat is slit.
(b) He is shot.
(c) He drowns.
(d) He is hanged.
14. What is an emir?
(a) Desert animal.
(b) Prayer cloth.
(d) Holy man.
15. One day, the narrator's parents inform her that she can no longer spend time with whom?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT something Selam likes about the narrator?
2. As the story begins, the Nigerian government places a ban on the transportation of _________________ from one end of the country to another.
3. Why is Jubril uncomfortable around the women on the bus?
4. Who tells this story?
5. Whom does Jubril ask to come on the bus to settle the matter about his seat?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)