An Ex-Mas Feast (Kenya)
• Eight-year-old Jigana describes his twelve-year-old sister, Maisha, who has recently become a prostitute to help support her family living in a slum in Kenya.
• Maisha is already training her eight-year-old sister, Naema, about life as a prostitute.
• Jigana's family consists of Mama, Baba, Maisha, Naema, twins Otieno and Atieno, and Baby.
• On Christmas morning, Mama, who is an alcoholic, gives her children glue to sniff to stave off their hunger pangs until Maisha comes home, hopefully bringing food.
• The children beg in the streets for money, with the exception of Maisha since she now prostitutes.
• Maisha settles the family's debts with neighbors and Maman is pleased.
• Months before, Jigana spent some time with Maisha on the streets and she tells him that she is thinking about joining a brothel which means she would have to move away.
• Maisha wants to work in the...
This section contains 3,039 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)