|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Colin take Steven into the backyard in Part 5, Chapter 26?
2. What does Marion call Stafford when he puts his arm around her for the first time?
3. What does Michael Reagan do after his father's death?
4. Where does Stephens usually take Colin on the back of his scooter after work?
5. What does Ellen tell Colin about Steven in Part 5, Chapter 26?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Elizabeth and Colin argue about in Part 5, Chapter 29?
2. What happens when Colin asks Elizabeth what she'll do with her life in Part 5, Chapter 31?
3. What happens during Colin's medical exam in Part 4, Chapter 23?
4. What happens when Colin tells Margaret they shouldn't get married?
5. How does Colin feel about Stafford's decision for his future in Part 4, Chapter 20?
6. What happens after Colin learns that Margaret and Stafford are a couple?
7. When Colin visits Stafford's home in Part 4, Chapter 17, how do Stafford's parents act?
8. What does Colin do before Margaret visits his parents' house for the first time?
9. What does Mr. Gannon think when he visits the Savilles in Part 4, Chapter 21?
10. In Part 4, Chapter 19, what happens when Colin invites Sheila over to his house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Readers wait for Colin to escape Saxton. Why is it so important for Colin to leave his hometown? How does Colin feel about Saxton? What steps does he take to leave, or not leave, this town? What does leaving Saxton represent in Colin's life?
Essay Topic 2
For much of this novel Harry involves himself in minor projects. Describe three of Harry's projects. How did these projects take up Harry's time? What did they provide him with?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the role of women in Saville. What women were considered acceptable and which were not? What accounts for the differences? Are the women in this novel created any differently than the men? How so? What is the author saying about women in the 1930's? The 1970's? Currently?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)