|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the school where Colin teaches in Part 5, Chapter 25, what does the headmaster consider poetry to be?
2. What does Colin realize after talking with Harry about Andrew for the first time?
3. Where does Colin go with Audrey in Part 4, Chapter 18?
4. What does Harry say about Colin's teaching career in Part 4, Chapter 24?
5. What career does Steven say he wants?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Michael react to his father's death?
2. What ends Colin's association with Stephens in Part 4, Chapter 17?
3. How does Colin feel when Steve is signed to a football team?
4. What does Colin do before Margaret visits his parents' house for the first time?
5. How does Colin choose the university he wants to attend in Part 4, Chapter 20?
6. What happens when Colin tries to get in touch with Margaret in Part 4, Chapter 24?
7. Summarize what happens at the train station when Colin finally leaves Saxton?
8. What does Mr. Gannon think when he visits the Savilles in Part 4, Chapter 21?
9. What does Margaret comment on after visiting the Savilles' house in Part 4, Chapter 22?
10. In Part 5, Chapter 26, what happens when Colin argues with Steven about the future?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Colin is very concerned with being able to take care of his parents. How does Colin try to care for his parents? How do they receive his help? Why is it so important to Colin to provide for them? How does this develop Colin as a character?
Essay Topic 2
What is the message this author creates about the military? Examine the characters that are either veterans, in the military or considering the military as a career. How are they described? Are their story lines positive or negative? How so?
Essay Topic 3
The class system is Saville is very clear. Describe the divides in Colin's society and where Colin fits in among them. What is the author saying about social class? Is it possible to move up in social class?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)