|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are people most surprised to see take part in the festivities in Part 4, Chapter 19?
2. After their first date, when does Audrey tell Colin to come to her house?
3. What does Margaret's father do for a living?
4. What does Stafford's brother do for a living?
5. What makes Colin suspicious of Stafford's relationship with Margaret?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Colin feel when Steve is signed to a football team?
2. How does Elizabeth view Colin on their first date?
3. In Part 4, Chapter 18, what must Colin do for his brothers?
4. What do Elizabeth and Colin argue about in Part 5, Chapter 29?
5. Why does Colin go to the pub almost every night after teaching?
6. What happens when Colin tries to get in touch with Margaret in Part 4, Chapter 24?
7. When Colin visits Stafford's home in Part 4, Chapter 17, how do Stafford's parents act?
8. What ends Colin's association with Stephens in Part 4, Chapter 17?
9. What does Margaret comment on after visiting the Savilles' house in Part 4, Chapter 22?
10. What happens during Colin's medical exam in Part 4, Chapter 23?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Savilles live in an underdeveloped area. How does their house compare with the houses of other characters? How do they feel about their house? How does their house serve as a symbol in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Colin is very concerned with being able to take care of his parents. How does Colin try to care for his parents? How do they receive his help? Why is it so important to Colin to provide for them? How does this develop Colin as a character?
Essay Topic 3
Choose three of Colin's boyhood friends to compare and contrast. What events helped to define these characters? What happens to each of them? What is the point the author is trying to make about childhood development?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)