|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Elizabeth feel about her relationship with Colin?
2. Who calls Colin "Bard Colin"?
3. In Part 4, Chapter 18, why does Harry get mad at Colin?
4. What does Elizabeth accuse Colin of doing in his relationships?
5. What does Stephens try to convince Colin to steal in Part 4, Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Colin visits Stafford's home in Part 4, Chapter 17, how do Stafford's parents act?
2. What happens during Colin's medical exam in Part 4, Chapter 23?
3. What are some of the things that happen during the party in Part 4, Chapter 19?
4. Why does Colin go to the pub almost every night after teaching?
5. In Part 4, Chapter 23, what two things does Colin come to envy about Stafford?
6. What happens when Colin goes out with Audrey for the first time?
7. What makes Harry angry with Colin in Part 5, Chapter 27?
8. What does Colin do before Margaret visits his parents' house for the first time?
9. What do Colin and Elizabeth fight about in Part 5, Chapter 30?
10. What happens when Harry talks to Colin about Andrew for the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of dialect in Saville. Why does the author use this dialect? How does it help to create the characters and the place in Saville? Is the dialect effective? How?
Essay Topic 2
The Savilles live in an underdeveloped area. How does their house compare with the houses of other characters? How do they feel about their house? How does their house serve as a symbol in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Colin's three main romances. How are they similar? How are they different? Does Colin grow as a character at all in terms of his romantic encounters?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)