|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 4, Chapter 23, whom does Colin seem to envy most?
2. What makes Colin suspicious of Stafford's relationship with Margaret?
3. Sheila's behavior toward Colin in Part 4, Chapter 19 is described in what way?
4. Who ends the relationship between Colin and Elizabeth?
5. What does Ellen tell Colin about Steven in Part 5, Chapter 26?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Colin visits Stafford's home in Part 4, Chapter 17, how do Stafford's parents act?
2. What does Margaret comment on after visiting the Savilles' house in Part 4, Chapter 22?
3. In Part 4, Chapter 23, what two things does Colin come to envy about Stafford?
4. What happens after Colin learns that Margaret and Stafford are a couple?
5. How does Michael react to his father's death?
6. How does Colin feel when Steve is signed to a football team?
7. What do Colin and Elizabeth fight about in Part 5, Chapter 30?
8. What happens during Colin's medical exam in Part 4, Chapter 23?
9. In Part 4, Chapter 18, what must Colin do for his brothers?
10. How does Colin feel about Stafford's decision for his future in Part 4, Chapter 20?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The hut is an important place for Colin as a boy. Describe the hut and the activities the boys did when they were there. What purpose does the hut serve and why is it included in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of dialect in Saville. Why does the author use this dialect? How does it help to create the characters and the place in Saville? Is the dialect effective? How?
Essay Topic 3
What is the message this author creates about the military? Examine the characters that are either veterans, in the military or considering the military as a career. How are they described? Are their story lines positive or negative? How so?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)