|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Colin lose his job at the school?
2. What does Margaret's brother do for a living?
3. Where does Colin meet Margaret?
4. What does Ellen tell Colin about Steven in Part 5, Chapter 26?
5. Where do Colin and Margaret have drinks in Part 4, Chapter 23?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of dialect in Saville. Why does the author use this dialect? How does it help to create the characters and the place in Saville? Is the dialect effective? How?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the role of women in Saville. What women were considered acceptable and which were not? What accounts for the differences? Are the women in this novel created any differently than the men? How so? What is the author saying about women in the 1930's? The 1970's? Currently?
Essay Topic 3
Readers wait for Colin to escape Saxton. Why is it so important for Colin to leave his hometown? How does Colin feel about Saxton? What steps does he take to leave, or not leave, this town? What does leaving Saxton represent in Colin's life?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)