|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 5, Chapter 29, who makes an unexpected visit to Colin?
2. What exams does Colin take in Part 4, Chapter 20?
3. Whom was Elizabeth living with before she moved out into her own flat?
4. What job does Harry get in Part 4, Chapter 21?
5. What do Harry and Colin argue about in Part 4, Chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 5, Chapter 26, what happens when Colin argues with Steven about the future?
2. What do Elizabeth and Colin argue about in Part 5, Chapter 29?
3. In Part 4, Chapter 18, what must Colin do for his brothers?
4. What do Colin and Elizabeth fight about in Part 5, Chapter 30?
5. How does Colin feel about Stafford's decision for his future in Part 4, Chapter 20?
6. How does Michael react to his father's death?
7. Summarize what happens at the train station when Colin finally leaves Saxton?
8. What happens when Colin tries to get in touch with Margaret in Part 4, Chapter 24?
9. What happens when Colin asks Elizabeth what she'll do with her life in Part 5, Chapter 31?
10. What does Margaret comment on after visiting the Savilles' house in Part 4, Chapter 22?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rugby is an important sport in Saxton. Who plays rugby? How do the characters in this novel feel about the sport? What does the sport represent in this novel? How is rugby used to help define the time and place of Saville?
Essay Topic 2
How does education impact Colin's life? From entrance exams to his career, follow the effects education has on Colin as a character. How does it motivate him? How does it hold him back? What does education mean to Colin?
Essay Topic 3
What is the message this author creates about the military? Examine the characters that are either veterans, in the military or considering the military as a career. How are they described? Are their story lines positive or negative? How so?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)