|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Savilles lacking that surprises Margaret in Part 4, Chapter 22?
2. How does Stephens describe his students?
3. What does Elizabeth do when Colin asks what she'll do with her life in Part 5, Chapter 31?
4. What does Margaret's brother do for a living?
5. In Part 4, Chapter 17, whom does Stafford introduce Colin to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during Colin's medical exam in Part 4, Chapter 23?
2. What happens when Colin tries to get in touch with Margaret in Part 4, Chapter 24?
3. How does Michael react to his father's death?
4. What do Colin and Elizabeth fight about in Part 5, Chapter 30?
5. What happens when Colin goes out with Audrey for the first time?
6. How does Colin choose the university he wants to attend in Part 4, Chapter 20?
7. What do Elizabeth and Colin argue about in Part 5, Chapter 29?
8. How does Elizabeth view Colin on their first date?
9. How does Colin feel about Stafford's decision for his future in Part 4, Chapter 20?
10. What happens when Colin asks Elizabeth what she'll do with her life in Part 5, Chapter 31?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The class system is Saville is very clear. Describe the divides in Colin's society and where Colin fits in among them. What is the author saying about social class? Is it possible to move up in social class?
Essay Topic 2
What is the message this author creates about the military? Examine the characters that are either veterans, in the military or considering the military as a career. How are they described? Are their story lines positive or negative? How so?
Essay Topic 3
For much of this novel Harry involves himself in minor projects. Describe three of Harry's projects. How did these projects take up Harry's time? What did they provide him with?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)