|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the dance hall that Michael Reagan was managing?
2. In Part 5, Chapter 29, who makes an unexpected visit to Colin?
3. Why does Colin lose his job at the school?
4. What does Ellen tell Colin about Steven in Part 5, Chapter 26?
5. What does Mr. Gannon recommend Colin do at college?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Elizabeth and Colin argue about in Part 5, Chapter 29?
2. What are some of the things that happen during the party in Part 4, Chapter 19?
3. Why does Colin go to the pub almost every night after teaching?
4. What makes Harry angry with Colin in Part 5, Chapter 27?
5. In Part 4, Chapter 23, what two things does Colin come to envy about Stafford?
6. What does Mr. Gannon think when he visits the Savilles in Part 4, Chapter 21?
7. In Part 4, Chapter 19, what happens when Colin invites Sheila over to his house?
8. In Part 5, Chapter 26, what happens when Colin argues with Steven about the future?
9. How does Michael react to his father's death?
10. What happens when Harry talks to Colin about Andrew for the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The narrator of Saville is an unknown third person. Characters are often referred to by pronouns. What is the purpose of leaving the characters nameless so often? What message does this deliver? Is this an effective form of narration?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Ellen's parents to Harry's parents. How do they treat their children? How do they act with the rest of the family? How are they perceived by others? Are some of these characters portrayed in a better light? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Colin's three main romances. How are they similar? How are they different? Does Colin grow as a character at all in terms of his romantic encounters?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)