|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Colin take Steven into the backyard in Part 5, Chapter 26?
2. In Part 4, Chapter 24, what happens every time Colin goes to see Margaret?
3. What does Steven tell Ellen at the end of Part 5, Chapter 27?
4. At the school where Colin teaches in Part 5, Chapter 25, what does the headmaster consider poetry to be?
5. Why doesn't Colin serve in the military?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the things that happen during the party in Part 4, Chapter 19?
2. What do Elizabeth and Colin argue about in Part 5, Chapter 29?
3. When Colin visits Stafford's home in Part 4, Chapter 17, how do Stafford's parents act?
4. What happens when Colin goes out with Audrey for the first time?
5. What happens when Colin tells Margaret they shouldn't get married?
6. What happens when Harry talks to Colin about Andrew for the first time?
7. What happens after Colin learns that Margaret and Stafford are a couple?
8. What do Colin and Elizabeth fight about in Part 5, Chapter 30?
9. Why does Colin go to the pub almost every night after teaching?
10. What happens when Colin asks Elizabeth what she'll do with her life in Part 5, Chapter 31?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Readers wait for Colin to escape Saxton. Why is it so important for Colin to leave his hometown? How does Colin feel about Saxton? What steps does he take to leave, or not leave, this town? What does leaving Saxton represent in Colin's life?
Essay Topic 2
The class system is Saville is very clear. Describe the divides in Colin's society and where Colin fits in among them. What is the author saying about social class? Is it possible to move up in social class?
Essay Topic 3
Choose three of Colin's boyhood friends to compare and contrast. What events helped to define these characters? What happens to each of them? What is the point the author is trying to make about childhood development?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)