|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Margaret is accepted to a university, how far away from Colin is it?
2. What surprise event happens to Steve in Part 5, Chapter 30?
3. Why does Colin's mother go to the hospital in Part 4, Chapter 18?
4. What does Colin argue with Steve about in Part 5, Chapter 26?
5. What is Stafford's option other than attending Oxford?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ends Colin's association with Stephens in Part 4, Chapter 17?
2. In Part 4, Chapter 18, what must Colin do for his brothers?
3. Why does Elizabeth feel that she and Colin are not destined to have a long relationship?
4. How does Michael react to his father's death?
5. In Part 5, Chapter 28, what worries Colin most about Elizabeth?
6. What happens when Colin tells Margaret they shouldn't get married?
7. How does Colin feel when Steve is signed to a football team?
8. What does Margaret comment on after visiting the Savilles' house in Part 4, Chapter 22?
9. What happens after Colin learns that Margaret and Stafford are a couple?
10. When Colin visits Stafford's home in Part 4, Chapter 17, how do Stafford's parents act?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the message this author creates about the military? Examine the characters that are either veterans, in the military or considering the military as a career. How are they described? Are their story lines positive or negative? How so?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Colin's educational philosophies as a teacher. How did he exemplify these beliefs? What did his beliefs mean to him? How did they change over time? What is your opinion of Colin's philosophies?
Essay Topic 3
The hut is an important place for Colin as a boy. Describe the hut and the activities the boys did when they were there. What purpose does the hut serve and why is it included in this novel?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)