|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Colin and Elizabeth break up, what does Elizabeth say she wants for Colin?
2. What job does Harry get in Part 4, Chapter 21?
3. What does Colin ask Elizabeth about during their walk around the pond in Part 5, Chapter 28?
4. What does Stephens try to convince Colin to steal in Part 4, Chapter 17?
5. What happens when Steven takes his entrance exams for school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Colin learns that Margaret and Stafford are a couple?
2. In Part 4, Chapter 18, what must Colin do for his brothers?
3. Why does Elizabeth feel that she and Colin are not destined to have a long relationship?
4. In Part 4, Chapter 23, what two things does Colin come to envy about Stafford?
5. What are some of the things that happen during the party in Part 4, Chapter 19?
6. What does Mr. Gannon think when he visits the Savilles in Part 4, Chapter 21?
7. What do Elizabeth and Colin argue about in Part 5, Chapter 29?
8. What does Margaret comment on after visiting the Savilles' house in Part 4, Chapter 22?
9. What makes Harry angry with Colin in Part 5, Chapter 27?
10. Summarize what happens at the train station when Colin finally leaves Saxton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The hut is an important place for Colin as a boy. Describe the hut and the activities the boys did when they were there. What purpose does the hut serve and why is it included in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
The narrator of Saville is an unknown third person. Characters are often referred to by pronouns. What is the purpose of leaving the characters nameless so often? What message does this deliver? Is this an effective form of narration?
Essay Topic 3
Saville is very much a novel about Colin coming of age. Summarize the development of Colin from child to adult. What major events help move him? What beliefs remain unchanged? What is Colin's pivotal moment? What lesson does the author want readers to recognize in Colin's story?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)