|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sheila's behavior toward Colin in Part 4, Chapter 19 is described in what way?
2. In Part 4, Chapter 18, why does Harry get mad at Colin?
3. How does Stephens describe his students?
4. Why does Elizabeth visit Derek in Part 5, Chapter 30?
5. Whom was Elizabeth living with before she moved out into her own flat?
Essay Topic 1
The hut is an important place for Colin as a boy. Describe the hut and the activities the boys did when they were there. What purpose does the hut serve and why is it included in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the role of women in Saville. What women were considered acceptable and which were not? What accounts for the differences? Are the women in this novel created any differently than the men? How so? What is the author saying about women in the 1930's? The 1970's? Currently?
Essay Topic 3
The narrator of Saville is an unknown third person. Characters are often referred to by pronouns. What is the purpose of leaving the characters nameless so often? What message does this deliver? Is this an effective form of narration?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)