|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 5, Chapter 26, what does Harry show Colin of Andrew's?
2. How does Stephens describe his students?
3. Why does Margaret want Colin to leave Saxton in Part 4, Chapter 23?
4. In Part 5, Chapter 29, who makes an unexpected visit to Colin?
5. How do Colin's students react to him in the classroom in Part 5, Chapter 28?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The class system is Saville is very clear. Describe the divides in Colin's society and where Colin fits in among them. What is the author saying about social class? Is it possible to move up in social class?
Essay Topic 2
Colin is very concerned with being able to take care of his parents. How does Colin try to care for his parents? How do they receive his help? Why is it so important to Colin to provide for them? How does this develop Colin as a character?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the role of women in Saville. What women were considered acceptable and which were not? What accounts for the differences? Are the women in this novel created any differently than the men? How so? What is the author saying about women in the 1930's? The 1970's? Currently?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)