|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 5, Chapter 28, what is Colin allowed to teach the children at his school?
2. Whom was Elizabeth living with before she moved out into her own flat?
3. How does Elizabeth feel about her relationship with Colin?
4. What job does Harry get in Part 4, Chapter 21?
5. What does Mr. Gannon recommend Colin do at college?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 4, Chapter 18, what must Colin do for his brothers?
2. In Part 5, Chapter 26, what happens when Colin argues with Steven about the future?
3. How does Elizabeth view Colin on their first date?
4. What does Mr. Gannon think when he visits the Savilles in Part 4, Chapter 21?
5. What does Colin do before Margaret visits his parents' house for the first time?
6. What do Colin and Elizabeth fight about in Part 5, Chapter 30?
7. What do Colin and Stephens disagree about at work in Part 5, Chapter 25?
8. What happens after Colin learns that Margaret and Stafford are a couple?
9. What happens when Colin asks Elizabeth what she'll do with her life in Part 5, Chapter 31?
10. How does Michael react to his father's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the role of women in Saville. What women were considered acceptable and which were not? What accounts for the differences? Are the women in this novel created any differently than the men? How so? What is the author saying about women in the 1930's? The 1970's? Currently?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of dialect in Saville. Why does the author use this dialect? How does it help to create the characters and the place in Saville? Is the dialect effective? How?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Colin to his brothers. Consider their aspirations, actions, and passions. How they are treated within the Saville family?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)