|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who talks Colin out of marrying Margaret?
2. What does Colin ask Elizabeth about during their walk around the pond in Part 5, Chapter 28?
3. Sheila's behavior toward Colin in Part 4, Chapter 19 is described in what way?
4. In Part 5, Chapter 27, who is studying for entrance exams?
5. Whom does Elizabeth accuse Colin of being jealous of in Part 5, Chapter 29?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Gannon think when he visits the Savilles in Part 4, Chapter 21?
2. What does Colin do before Margaret visits his parents' house for the first time?
3. What happens when Colin tells Margaret they shouldn't get married?
4. Why does Elizabeth feel that she and Colin are not destined to have a long relationship?
5. What happens when Colin asks Elizabeth what she'll do with her life in Part 5, Chapter 31?
6. What happens when Colin goes out with Audrey for the first time?
7. What happens during Colin's medical exam in Part 4, Chapter 23?
8. What does Margaret comment on after visiting the Savilles' house in Part 4, Chapter 22?
9. What happens when Harry talks to Colin about Andrew for the first time?
10. What do Colin and Elizabeth fight about in Part 5, Chapter 30?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose three of Colin's boyhood friends to compare and contrast. What events helped to define these characters? What happens to each of them? What is the point the author is trying to make about childhood development?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Ellen's parents to Harry's parents. How do they treat their children? How do they act with the rest of the family? How are they perceived by others? Are some of these characters portrayed in a better light? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What is the message this author creates about the military? Examine the characters that are either veterans, in the military or considering the military as a career. How are they described? Are their story lines positive or negative? How so?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)