|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 5, Chapter 28, what is Colin allowed to teach the children at his school?
2. How does Colin interact with Stafford after he steals Margaret?
3. In Part 4, Chapter 23, who does join the military?
4. Where does Colin meet Margaret?
5. Why do the Savilles and their neighbors have a party in Part 4, Chapter 19?
Essay Topic 1
What is the message this author creates about the military? Examine the characters that are either veterans, in the military or considering the military as a career. How are they described? Are their story lines positive or negative? How so?
Essay Topic 2
The coal mine where Harry works is central to the lives of the Savilles. What is work in the coal mine like? How are miners perceived? How does working in the coal mine define Harry? How does Harry view his work? How does the coal mine help to develop the plot of this novel?
Essay Topic 3
Readers wait for Colin to escape Saxton. Why is it so important for Colin to leave his hometown? How does Colin feel about Saxton? What steps does he take to leave, or not leave, this town? What does leaving Saxton represent in Colin's life?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)