|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 5, Chapter 29, who makes an unexpected visit to Colin?
2. What makes Colin so upset with Steve in Part 5, Chapter 30?
3. How do Colin's students react to him in the classroom in Part 5, Chapter 28?
4. In Part 4, Chapter 22 what does Margaret help Colin's mother with?
5. What does Colin tell Margaret when he loses her to Stafford?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Elizabeth view Colin on their first date?
2. What do Colin and Stephens disagree about at work in Part 5, Chapter 25?
3. How does Colin choose the university he wants to attend in Part 4, Chapter 20?
4. How does Colin feel about Stafford's decision for his future in Part 4, Chapter 20?
5. Why does Colin go to the pub almost every night after teaching?
6. What happens when Colin tries to get in touch with Margaret in Part 4, Chapter 24?
7. What happens after Colin learns that Margaret and Stafford are a couple?
8. What do Elizabeth and Colin argue about in Part 5, Chapter 29?
9. What happens when Harry talks to Colin about Andrew for the first time?
10. What does Colin do before Margaret visits his parents' house for the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rugby is an important sport in Saxton. Who plays rugby? How do the characters in this novel feel about the sport? What does the sport represent in this novel? How is rugby used to help define the time and place of Saville?
Essay Topic 2
The narrator of Saville is an unknown third person. Characters are often referred to by pronouns. What is the purpose of leaving the characters nameless so often? What message does this deliver? Is this an effective form of narration?
Essay Topic 3
Colin is very concerned with being able to take care of his parents. How does Colin try to care for his parents? How do they receive his help? Why is it so important to Colin to provide for them? How does this develop Colin as a character?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)