|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mr. Bletchley work?
2. How many bunk beds does Harry put in the bomb shelter?
3. What did Harry tell Colin about the hospital?
4. Where does Harry plant vegetables in Part 2, Chapter 8?
5. What does Stafford buy for Colin in Part 3, Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Colin feel after Steven comes home in Part 2, Chapter 6?
2. How did Harry build his bomb shelter?
3. What happens the first time Colin goes to Sunday school?
4. What happens when Colin helps a fellow student at school in Part 3, Chapter 13?
5. How does Harry feel about his family's vacation to the seashore?
6. What happened when Colin and Harry went into the city in Part 1, Chapter 4?
7. Why does Harry look up to Mr. Reagan?
8. How does inventing affect Harry in Part 2, Chapter 7?
9. How is Colin different from Andrew?
10. Why does Harry decide to go to a different beach in Part 1, Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Saville is very much a novel about Colin coming of age. Summarize the development of Colin from child to adult. What major events help move him? What beliefs remain unchanged? What is Colin's pivotal moment? What lesson does the author want readers to recognize in Colin's story?
Essay Topic 2
The narrator of Saville is an unknown third person. Characters are often referred to by pronouns. What is the purpose of leaving the characters nameless so often? What message does this deliver? Is this an effective form of narration?
Essay Topic 3
The Savilles live in an underdeveloped area. How does their house compare with the houses of other characters? How do they feel about their house? How does their house serve as a symbol in the novel?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)