|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two parts of Saxton?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 6, what does Colin do on Sundays?
3. How did Harry feel after Colin's fist fight in Part 3, Chapter 15?
4. How does Stafford travel to and from school?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 16, where are Ellen's parents confined?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Colin get into a fist fight in Part 3, Chapter 15?
2. Why is Harry Saville impressed with Stafford in Part 3, Chapter 12?
3. What happens when Colin helps a fellow student at school in Part 3, Chapter 13?
4. What makes the food the Savilles serve Stafford in Part 3, Chapter 15 so special?
5. What happens the first time Colin goes to Sunday school?
6. Why couldn't Colin live at his own house in Part 1, Chapter 5?
7. Why does Harry look up to Mr. Reagan?
8. What happens during Colin's first day of school?
9. How does Ellen feel when she visits her parents in Part 3, Chapter 16?
10. How is Ellen able to tell when Colin takes Steven to the hut?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Savilles live in an underdeveloped area. How does their house compare with the houses of other characters? How do they feel about their house? How does their house serve as a symbol in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The hut is an important place for Colin as a boy. Describe the hut and the activities the boys did when they were there. What purpose does the hut serve and why is it included in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
The narrator of Saville is an unknown third person. Characters are often referred to by pronouns. What is the purpose of leaving the characters nameless so often? What message does this deliver? Is this an effective form of narration?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)