|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Colin do when he works on a farm?
2. Where is the Dell located?
3. Who failed the grammar school entrance exam?
4. How old is Colin in Part 3, Chapter 14?
5. Why does Ellen buy Colin's uniform too large for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 16, how does Colin describe the teachers at his school?
2. How did Harry build his bomb shelter?
3. Why couldn't Colin live at his own house in Part 1, Chapter 5?
4. How is Ellen able to tell when Colin takes Steven to the hut?
5. Why is Harry Saville impressed with Stafford in Part 3, Chapter 12?
6. Why does Harry decide to go to a different beach in Part 1, Chapter 3?
7. What happens when Colin helps a fellow student at school in Part 3, Chapter 13?
8. How is Colin different from Andrew?
9. Describe the house the Savilles move into just outside of Saxton.
10. Why is Colin late for school in Part 3, Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the message this author creates about the military? Examine the characters that are either veterans, in the military or considering the military as a career. How are they described? Are their story lines positive or negative? How so?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the role of women in Saville. What women were considered acceptable and which were not? What accounts for the differences? Are the women in this novel created any differently than the men? How so? What is the author saying about women in the 1930's? The 1970's? Currently?
Essay Topic 3
The coal mine where Harry works is central to the lives of the Savilles. What is work in the coal mine like? How are miners perceived? How does working in the coal mine define Harry? How does Harry view his work? How does the coal mine help to develop the plot of this novel?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)