|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 6, what does Colin do on Sundays?
2. How does Harry punish Colin for taking Steven to the hut?
3. In Part 1, Chapter 3, what does Harry's friend urge him to do?
4. Where does Colin stay when his mother is in the hospital in Part 1, Chapter 5?
5. When Ellen's parents are on their death bed, how does Ellen feel about her relationship with them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Elizabeth and Colin argue about in Part 5, Chapter 29?
2. What does Mr. Gannon think when he visits the Savilles in Part 4, Chapter 21?
3. How does Harry feel about his family's vacation to the seashore?
4. How does Colin choose the university he wants to attend in Part 4, Chapter 20?
5. How is Ellen able to tell when Colin takes Steven to the hut?
6. In Part 4, Chapter 19, what happens when Colin invites Sheila over to his house?
7. How does Elizabeth view Colin on their first date?
8. What happens the first time Colin goes to Sunday school?
9. Describe the house the Savilles move into just outside of Saxton.
10. How does Colin feel when Steve is signed to a football team?
Essay Topic 1
The narrator of Saville is an unknown third person. Characters are often referred to by pronouns. What is the purpose of leaving the characters nameless so often? What message does this deliver? Is this an effective form of narration?
Essay Topic 2
How does education impact Colin's life? From entrance exams to his career, follow the effects education has on Colin as a character. How does it motivate him? How does it hold him back? What does education mean to Colin?
Essay Topic 3
The hut is an important place for Colin as a boy. Describe the hut and the activities the boys did when they were there. What purpose does the hut serve and why is it included in this novel?
This section contains 1,384 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)