|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 3, what does Harry's friend urge him to do?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 9, what do Ellen's parents complain about when she visits them?
3. In Part 1, Chapter 5, how long is Colin's mother in the hospital?
4. How did Harry feel after Colin's fist fight in Part 3, Chapter 15?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 13, what does Harry tell Colin he is proud of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Colin get into a fist fight in Part 3, Chapter 15?
2. What happens when Colin hears a voice while working on the farm in Part 3, Chapter 14?
3. What happens the first time Colin goes to Sunday school?
4. Why does Harry look up to Mr. Reagan?
5. What happens when Colin helps a fellow student at school in Part 3, Chapter 13?
6. Why couldn't Colin live at his own house in Part 1, Chapter 5?
7. What do the Savilles begin to do every Sunday in Part 2, Chapter 8?
8. How is Ellen able to tell when Colin takes Steven to the hut?
9. When Colin stays with the Shaws in Part 1, Chapter 5, how is his life?
10. What makes the food the Savilles serve Stafford in Part 3, Chapter 15 so special?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Colin's three main romances. How are they similar? How are they different? Does Colin grow as a character at all in terms of his romantic encounters?
Essay Topic 2
Readers wait for Colin to escape Saxton. Why is it so important for Colin to leave his hometown? How does Colin feel about Saxton? What steps does he take to leave, or not leave, this town? What does leaving Saxton represent in Colin's life?
Essay Topic 3
The class system is Saville is very clear. Describe the divides in Colin's society and where Colin fits in among them. What is the author saying about social class? Is it possible to move up in social class?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)