|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Colin do after his job on the farm ends?
2. Why does Harry creosote the timbers for his bomb shelter?
3. How does Harry punish Colin for taking Steven to the hut?
4. Who do the Savilles run into while sledding in Part 2, Chapter 10?
5. Who teaches Colin's class at his new school?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 8, how does Harry treat Colin's practice tests?
2. Why couldn't Colin live at his own house in Part 1, Chapter 5?
3. Describe the house the Savilles move into just outside of Saxton.
4. How does Ellen feel when she visits her parents in Part 3, Chapter 16?
5. What happens during Colin's first day of school?
6. Why is Harry Saville impressed with Stafford in Part 3, Chapter 12?
7. How does Harry feel about his family's vacation to the seashore?
8. Why does Colin get into a fist fight in Part 3, Chapter 15?
9. What happens when Colin helps a fellow student at school in Part 3, Chapter 13?
10. What happens when Colin hears a voice while working on the farm in Part 3, Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rugby is an important sport in Saxton. Who plays rugby? How do the characters in this novel feel about the sport? What does the sport represent in this novel? How is rugby used to help define the time and place of Saville?
Essay Topic 2
Readers wait for Colin to escape Saxton. Why is it so important for Colin to leave his hometown? How does Colin feel about Saxton? What steps does he take to leave, or not leave, this town? What does leaving Saxton represent in Colin's life?
Essay Topic 3
How does education impact Colin's life? From entrance exams to his career, follow the effects education has on Colin as a character. How does it motivate him? How does it hold him back? What does education mean to Colin?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)