|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where will Colin go to school in the fall?
2. How does Colin get a sled in Part 2, Chapter 10?
3. How long does Colin work on the farm?
4. In Part 3, Chapter 13, how is Batty doing in school?
5. Who do the Savilles run into while sledding in Part 2, Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Harry build his bomb shelter?
2. Why does Harry look up to Mr. Reagan?
3. How is Colin different from Andrew?
4. What makes the food the Savilles serve Stafford in Part 3, Chapter 15 so special?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 16, how does Colin describe the teachers at his school?
6. How does Harry act when Colin comes home from taking his examination?
7. How does inventing affect Harry in Part 2, Chapter 7?
8. How does Ellen feel when she visits her parents in Part 3, Chapter 16?
9. Why does Colin get into a fist fight in Part 3, Chapter 15?
10. What happens during Colin's first day of school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Savilles live in an underdeveloped area. How does their house compare with the houses of other characters? How do they feel about their house? How does their house serve as a symbol in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Colin is very concerned with being able to take care of his parents. How does Colin try to care for his parents? How do they receive his help? Why is it so important to Colin to provide for them? How does this develop Colin as a character?
Essay Topic 3
The narrator of Saville is an unknown third person. Characters are often referred to by pronouns. What is the purpose of leaving the characters nameless so often? What message does this deliver? Is this an effective form of narration?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)