Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who teaches Colin's class at his new school?
2. What type of inventions does Harry start to create in Part 2, Chapter 7?
3. When do Harry and his family move just outside of Saxton?
4. Why is Michael Reagan teased at Sunday school?
5. How old is Colin in Part 3, Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Savilles begin to do every Sunday in Part 2, Chapter 8?
2. What does Colin look like after a day of working on the farm?
3. How does Colin feel after Steven comes home in Part 2, Chapter 6?
4. Why is Harry Saville impressed with Stafford in Part 3, Chapter 12?
5. What does Mr. Gannon think when he visits the Savilles in Part 4, Chapter 21?
6. How does Michael react to his father's death?
7. What happens when Colin hears a voice while working on the farm in Part 3, Chapter 14?
8. How does Colin choose the university he wants to attend in Part 4, Chapter 20?
9. Why does Harry look up to Mr. Reagan?
10. When Colin visits Stafford's home in Part 4, Chapter 17, how do Stafford's parents act?
Essay Topic 1
Saville is very much a novel about Colin coming of age. Summarize the development of Colin from child to adult. What major events help move him? What beliefs remain unchanged? What is Colin's pivotal moment? What lesson does the author want readers to recognize in Colin's story?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Ellen's parents to Harry's parents. How do they treat their children? How do they act with the rest of the family? How are they perceived by others? Are some of these characters portrayed in a better light? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Colin's educational philosophies as a teacher. How did he exemplify these beliefs? What did his beliefs mean to him? How did they change over time? What is your opinion of Colin's philosophies?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)