|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Colin and Stafford go after finishing tea at the Savilles' in Part 3, Chapter 15?
2. How does Colin get a sled in Part 2, Chapter 10?
3. Whose voice does Colin hear one day while working on the farm?
4. Why does Harry creosote the timbers for his bomb shelter?
5. What are the Saxon's neighbors waiting for in Part 3, Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Colin hears a voice while working on the farm in Part 3, Chapter 14?
2. What happens the first time Colin goes to Sunday school?
3. What happens on the bus ride to Colin's examination?
4. What does Colin look like after a day of working on the farm?
5. Why is Harry Saville impressed with Stafford in Part 3, Chapter 12?
6. How does Colin feel about the town where his new school is?
7. What happened when Colin and Harry went into the city in Part 1, Chapter 4?
8. How is Colin different from Andrew?
9. Why couldn't Colin live at his own house in Part 1, Chapter 5?
10. How does Ellen feel when she visits her parents in Part 3, Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Saville is very much a novel about Colin coming of age. Summarize the development of Colin from child to adult. What major events help move him? What beliefs remain unchanged? What is Colin's pivotal moment? What lesson does the author want readers to recognize in Colin's story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Colin's three main romances. How are they similar? How are they different? Does Colin grow as a character at all in terms of his romantic encounters?
Essay Topic 3
How does education impact Colin's life? From entrance exams to his career, follow the effects education has on Colin as a character. How does it motivate him? How does it hold him back? What does education mean to Colin?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)