|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ellen's mother think girls should do?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 6, what does Colin do on Sundays?
3. Who failed the grammar school entrance exam?
4. How does Colin think he did on the examination in Part 2, Chapter 9?
5. What does the school's motto, Labor Ipse Voluptas, mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ellen able to tell when Colin takes Steven to the hut?
2. How does Ellen feel when she visits her parents in Part 3, Chapter 16?
3. What do the Savilles begin to do every Sunday in Part 2, Chapter 8?
4. How does Harry feel about his family's vacation to the seashore?
5. Why couldn't Colin live at his own house in Part 1, Chapter 5?
6. What happens when Colin hears a voice while working on the farm in Part 3, Chapter 14?
7. Why is Colin late for school in Part 3, Chapter 12?
8. How does Colin feel about the town where his new school is?
9. What happens during Colin's first day of school?
10. What happens the first time Colin goes to Sunday school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does education impact Colin's life? From entrance exams to his career, follow the effects education has on Colin as a character. How does it motivate him? How does it hold him back? What does education mean to Colin?
Essay Topic 2
The class system is Saville is very clear. Describe the divides in Colin's society and where Colin fits in among them. What is the author saying about social class? Is it possible to move up in social class?
Essay Topic 3
Readers wait for Colin to escape Saxton. Why is it so important for Colin to leave his hometown? How does Colin feel about Saxton? What steps does he take to leave, or not leave, this town? What does leaving Saxton represent in Colin's life?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)