|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rugby team is Colin asked to join at his school?
2. Why does Ellen buy Colin's uniform too large for him?
3. Who helps the Savilles manage their grief over losing Andrew?
4. Who helps with Ellen's dying parents in Part 3, Chapter 16?
5. What does Harry do after running into his friend in Part 1, Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Colin hears a voice while working on the farm in Part 3, Chapter 14?
2. What happens when Harry talks to Colin about Andrew for the first time?
3. What happens when Colin asks Elizabeth what she'll do with her life in Part 5, Chapter 31?
4. In Part 3, Chapter 16, how does Colin describe the teachers at his school?
5. What does Colin do before Margaret visits his parents' house for the first time?
6. Why does Colin get in trouble with his father in Part 2, Chapter 10?
7. What do Colin and Elizabeth fight about in Part 5, Chapter 30?
8. Why is Harry Saville impressed with Stafford in Part 3, Chapter 12?
9. What do Elizabeth and Colin argue about in Part 5, Chapter 29?
10. In Part 5, Chapter 26, what happens when Colin argues with Steven about the future?
Essay Topic 1
Compare Ellen's parents to Harry's parents. How do they treat their children? How do they act with the rest of the family? How are they perceived by others? Are some of these characters portrayed in a better light? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The class system is Saville is very clear. Describe the divides in Colin's society and where Colin fits in among them. What is the author saying about social class? Is it possible to move up in social class?
Essay Topic 3
Readers wait for Colin to escape Saxton. Why is it so important for Colin to leave his hometown? How does Colin feel about Saxton? What steps does he take to leave, or not leave, this town? What does leaving Saxton represent in Colin's life?
This section contains 1,420 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)