|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 16, where are Ellen's parents confined?
2. Which day of school is Colin late for?
3. Why does Ellen buy Colin's uniform too large for him?
4. How does Miss Woodson treat her students at King Edward's?
5. When the Savilles go sledding in Part 2, Chapter 10, who does not enjoy the activity?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Colin get in trouble with his father in Part 2, Chapter 10?
2. What happens during Colin's first day of school?
3. How is Colin different from Andrew?
4. How does Ellen feel when she visits her parents in Part 3, Chapter 16?
5. When Colin stays with the Shaws in Part 1, Chapter 5, how is his life?
6. How did Harry build his bomb shelter?
7. What were the results of the entrance exam for Colin and his friends?
8. How does Harry act when Colin comes home from taking his examination?
9. How does Harry feel about his family's vacation to the seashore?
10. Why does Colin get into a fist fight in Part 3, Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For much of this novel Harry involves himself in minor projects. Describe three of Harry's projects. How did these projects take up Harry's time? What did they provide him with?
Essay Topic 2
The Savilles live in an underdeveloped area. How does their house compare with the houses of other characters? How do they feel about their house? How does their house serve as a symbol in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The narrator of Saville is an unknown third person. Characters are often referred to by pronouns. What is the purpose of leaving the characters nameless so often? What message does this deliver? Is this an effective form of narration?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)