|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the casts come off Harry's legs, what does he ask Mr. Reagan for?
2. Why does Harry beat Colin in Part 2, Chapter 10?
3. Who failed the grammar school entrance exam?
4. Where does Mr. Bletchley work?
5. What happened when the Savilles and their neighbors went into Harry's bomb shelter in Part 1, Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does inventing affect Harry in Part 2, Chapter 7?
2. What does Colin look like after a day of working on the farm?
3. Describe the house the Savilles move into just outside of Saxton.
4. When Colin stays with the Shaws in Part 1, Chapter 5, how is his life?
5. Why is Colin late for school in Part 3, Chapter 12?
6. What happens the first time Colin goes to Sunday school?
7. Why does Harry decide to go to a different beach in Part 1, Chapter 3?
8. What happens on the bus ride to Colin's examination?
9. How does Colin feel after Steven comes home in Part 2, Chapter 6?
10. In Part 3, Chapter 16, how does Colin describe the teachers at his school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of dialect in Saville. Why does the author use this dialect? How does it help to create the characters and the place in Saville? Is the dialect effective? How?
Essay Topic 2
How does education impact Colin's life? From entrance exams to his career, follow the effects education has on Colin as a character. How does it motivate him? How does it hold him back? What does education mean to Colin?
Essay Topic 3
The coal mine where Harry works is central to the lives of the Savilles. What is work in the coal mine like? How are miners perceived? How does working in the coal mine define Harry? How does Harry view his work? How does the coal mine help to develop the plot of this novel?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)