|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Colin work on the farm?
2. What nationalities are the prisoners of war Colin interacts with in Part 3, Chapter 14?
3. What does Colin do after his job on the farm ends?
4. What day of the week does Stafford come over to the Savilles' house in Part 3, Chapter 15?
5. Which day of school is Colin late for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Savilles begin to do every Sunday in Part 2, Chapter 8?
2. How does Harry feel about his family's vacation to the seashore?
3. What do Colin and Stephens disagree about at work in Part 5, Chapter 25?
4. Summarize what happens at the train station when Colin finally leaves Saxton?
5. What do Colin and Elizabeth fight about in Part 5, Chapter 30?
6. How does Colin feel about Stafford's decision for his future in Part 4, Chapter 20?
7. How does Colin feel about the town where his new school is?
8. How does Elizabeth view Colin on their first date?
9. Why does Elizabeth feel that she and Colin are not destined to have a long relationship?
10. In Part 3, Chapter 16, how does Colin describe the teachers at his school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does education impact Colin's life? From entrance exams to his career, follow the effects education has on Colin as a character. How does it motivate him? How does it hold him back? What does education mean to Colin?
Essay Topic 2
The hut is an important place for Colin as a boy. Describe the hut and the activities the boys did when they were there. What purpose does the hut serve and why is it included in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
Readers wait for Colin to escape Saxton. Why is it so important for Colin to leave his hometown? How does Colin feel about Saxton? What steps does he take to leave, or not leave, this town? What does leaving Saxton represent in Colin's life?
This section contains 1,355 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)