|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Andrew die?
2. What did Harry tell Colin about the hospital?
3. In Part 1, Chapter 1, what irritates Ellen about Andrew?
4. How long does Colin work on the farm?
5. Where is the hut that Colin and his friends built?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Colin different from Andrew?
2. What does Colin look like after a day of working on the farm?
3. How does Ellen feel when she visits her parents in Part 3, Chapter 16?
4. Describe the house the Savilles move into just outside of Saxton.
5. What happens on the bus ride to Colin's examination?
6. Why does Harry look up to Mr. Reagan?
7. What happens during Colin's first day of school?
8. What happened when Colin and Harry went into the city in Part 1, Chapter 4?
9. In Part 2, Chapter 8, how does Harry treat Colin's practice tests?
10. Why is Colin late for school in Part 3, Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose three of Colin's boyhood friends to compare and contrast. What events helped to define these characters? What happens to each of them? What is the point the author is trying to make about childhood development?
Essay Topic 2
Saville is very much a novel about Colin coming of age. Summarize the development of Colin from child to adult. What major events help move him? What beliefs remain unchanged? What is Colin's pivotal moment? What lesson does the author want readers to recognize in Colin's story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of dialect in Saville. Why does the author use this dialect? How does it help to create the characters and the place in Saville? Is the dialect effective? How?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)