|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Miss Woodson treat her students at King Edward's?
2. In Part 3, Chapter 16, where are Ellen's parents confined?
3. When Ellen's parents are on their death bed, how does Ellen feel about her relationship with them?
4. At the seashore, how does Colin first react to the water?
5. How does Colin get a sled in Part 2, Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Harry act when Colin comes home from taking his examination?
2. What happens the first time Colin goes to Sunday school?
3. How does inventing affect Harry in Part 2, Chapter 7?
4. In Part 3, Chapter 16, how does Colin describe the teachers at his school?
5. What were the results of the entrance exam for Colin and his friends?
6. How does Harry feel about his family's vacation to the seashore?
7. Why does Colin get into a fist fight in Part 3, Chapter 15?
8. How does Colin feel after Steven comes home in Part 2, Chapter 6?
9. Why couldn't Colin live at his own house in Part 1, Chapter 5?
10. How is Ellen able to tell when Colin takes Steven to the hut?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Colin's educational philosophies as a teacher. How did he exemplify these beliefs? What did his beliefs mean to him? How did they change over time? What is your opinion of Colin's philosophies?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Ellen's parents to Harry's parents. How do they treat their children? How do they act with the rest of the family? How are they perceived by others? Are some of these characters portrayed in a better light? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What is the message this author creates about the military? Examine the characters that are either veterans, in the military or considering the military as a career. How are they described? Are their story lines positive or negative? How so?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)