|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the school's motto, Labor Ipse Voluptas, mean?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 7, who does Colin go to Sunday school with?
3. How does Mr. Hodge's react to Colin's tardiness in Part 3, Chapter 12?
4. After the casts come off Harry's legs, what does he ask Mr. Reagan for?
5. What does Colin do after his job on the farm ends?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Colin get into a fist fight in Part 3, Chapter 15?
2. Why is Colin late for school in Part 3, Chapter 12?
3. How did Harry build his bomb shelter?
4. Why is Harry Saville impressed with Stafford in Part 3, Chapter 12?
5. What does Colin look like after a day of working on the farm?
6. How does Harry act when Colin comes home from taking his examination?
7. What happens when Colin hears a voice while working on the farm in Part 3, Chapter 14?
8. What makes the food the Savilles serve Stafford in Part 3, Chapter 15 so special?
9. What happens when Colin helps a fellow student at school in Part 3, Chapter 13?
10. How does Harry feel about his family's vacation to the seashore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Colin's three main romances. How are they similar? How are they different? Does Colin grow as a character at all in terms of his romantic encounters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of dialect in Saville. Why does the author use this dialect? How does it help to create the characters and the place in Saville? Is the dialect effective? How?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Colin's educational philosophies as a teacher. How did he exemplify these beliefs? What did his beliefs mean to him? How did they change over time? What is your opinion of Colin's philosophies?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)