|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stafford travel to and from school?
2. What are the two parts of Saxton?
3. When does Harry start building the bomb shelter?
4. Which day of school is Colin late for?
5. Whose voice does Colin hear one day while working on the farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during Colin's first day of school?
2. Describe the house the Savilles move into just outside of Saxton.
3. When Colin stays with the Shaws in Part 1, Chapter 5, how is his life?
4. How is Ellen able to tell when Colin takes Steven to the hut?
5. Why couldn't Colin live at his own house in Part 1, Chapter 5?
6. What makes the food the Savilles serve Stafford in Part 3, Chapter 15 so special?
7. What happens when Colin helps a fellow student at school in Part 3, Chapter 13?
8. How did Harry build his bomb shelter?
9. Why is Colin late for school in Part 3, Chapter 12?
10. Why does Colin get in trouble with his father in Part 2, Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Savilles live in an underdeveloped area. How does their house compare with the houses of other characters? How do they feel about their house? How does their house serve as a symbol in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The narrator of Saville is an unknown third person. Characters are often referred to by pronouns. What is the purpose of leaving the characters nameless so often? What message does this deliver? Is this an effective form of narration?
Essay Topic 3
What is the message this author creates about the military? Examine the characters that are either veterans, in the military or considering the military as a career. How are they described? Are their story lines positive or negative? How so?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)