|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stafford travel to and from school?
2. What type of inventions does Harry start to create in Part 2, Chapter 7?
3. Who failed the grammar school entrance exam?
4. When do Harry and his family move just outside of Saxton?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 5, how long is Colin's mother in the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 8, how does Harry treat Colin's practice tests?
2. What happens the first time Colin goes to Sunday school?
3. Why is Harry Saville impressed with Stafford in Part 3, Chapter 12?
4. What happens during Colin's first day of school?
5. Why does Colin get into a fist fight in Part 3, Chapter 15?
6. What happens on the bus ride to Colin's examination?
7. What were the results of the entrance exam for Colin and his friends?
8. What happens when Colin hears a voice while working on the farm in Part 3, Chapter 14?
9. How did Harry build his bomb shelter?
10. Why does Harry decide to go to a different beach in Part 1, Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The coal mine where Harry works is central to the lives of the Savilles. What is work in the coal mine like? How are miners perceived? How does working in the coal mine define Harry? How does Harry view his work? How does the coal mine help to develop the plot of this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Rugby is an important sport in Saxton. Who plays rugby? How do the characters in this novel feel about the sport? What does the sport represent in this novel? How is rugby used to help define the time and place of Saville?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Colin's educational philosophies as a teacher. How did he exemplify these beliefs? What did his beliefs mean to him? How did they change over time? What is your opinion of Colin's philosophies?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)