|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps the Savilles manage their grief over losing Andrew?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 9, what do Ellen's parents complain about when she visits them?
3. Whose voice does Colin hear one day while working on the farm?
4. What nationalities are the prisoners of war Colin interacts with in Part 3, Chapter 14?
5. What does Harry do after running into his friend in Part 1, Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during Colin's first day of school?
2. What happened when Colin and Harry went into the city in Part 1, Chapter 4?
3. How does Colin feel after Steven comes home in Part 2, Chapter 6?
4. What happens the first time Colin goes to Sunday school?
5. Why does Colin get into a fist fight in Part 3, Chapter 15?
6. Why is Colin late for school in Part 3, Chapter 12?
7. How did Harry build his bomb shelter?
8. What does Colin look like after a day of working on the farm?
9. How does Ellen feel when she visits her parents in Part 3, Chapter 16?
10. Why is Harry Saville impressed with Stafford in Part 3, Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Savilles live in an underdeveloped area. How does their house compare with the houses of other characters? How do they feel about their house? How does their house serve as a symbol in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Readers wait for Colin to escape Saxton. Why is it so important for Colin to leave his hometown? How does Colin feel about Saxton? What steps does he take to leave, or not leave, this town? What does leaving Saxton represent in Colin's life?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Colin's three main romances. How are they similar? How are they different? Does Colin grow as a character at all in terms of his romantic encounters?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)