|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stafford buy for Colin in Part 3, Chapter 15?
2. How does Stafford travel to and from school?
3. Where does Harry plant vegetables in Part 2, Chapter 8?
4. In Part 3, Chapter 13, how is Batty doing in school?
5. How many bunk beds does Harry put in the bomb shelter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Colin go to the pub almost every night after teaching?
2. In Part 3, Chapter 16, how does Colin describe the teachers at his school?
3. What happens the first time Colin goes to Sunday school?
4. What does Mr. Gannon think when he visits the Savilles in Part 4, Chapter 21?
5. Why does Elizabeth feel that she and Colin are not destined to have a long relationship?
6. What happens during Colin's medical exam in Part 4, Chapter 23?
7. What makes Harry angry with Colin in Part 5, Chapter 27?
8. How does Harry feel about his family's vacation to the seashore?
9. How is Colin different from Andrew?
10. What happens on the bus ride to Colin's examination?
Essay Topic 1
What is the message this author creates about the military? Examine the characters that are either veterans, in the military or considering the military as a career. How are they described? Are their story lines positive or negative? How so?
Essay Topic 2
Saville is very much a novel about Colin coming of age. Summarize the development of Colin from child to adult. What major events help move him? What beliefs remain unchanged? What is Colin's pivotal moment? What lesson does the author want readers to recognize in Colin's story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Colin's three main romances. How are they similar? How are they different? Does Colin grow as a character at all in terms of his romantic encounters?
This section contains 1,329 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)