|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Harry feel toward Mr. Reagan?
2. How does Andrew die?
3. Why does Harry become frustrated with Colin's preparatory tests?
4. Who does Harry give vegetables to in Part 2, Chapter 8?
5. How does Colin get a sled in Part 2, Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 16, how does Colin describe the teachers at his school?
2. How does Ellen feel when she visits her parents in Part 3, Chapter 16?
3. What were the results of the entrance exam for Colin and his friends?
4. How is Ellen able to tell when Colin takes Steven to the hut?
5. How does Colin feel after Steven comes home in Part 2, Chapter 6?
6. What makes the food the Savilles serve Stafford in Part 3, Chapter 15 so special?
7. What happens when Colin hears a voice while working on the farm in Part 3, Chapter 14?
8. What does Colin look like after a day of working on the farm?
9. What happens during Colin's first day of school?
10. How did Harry build his bomb shelter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Savilles live in an underdeveloped area. How does their house compare with the houses of other characters? How do they feel about their house? How does their house serve as a symbol in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Colin's educational philosophies as a teacher. How did he exemplify these beliefs? What did his beliefs mean to him? How did they change over time? What is your opinion of Colin's philosophies?
Essay Topic 3
The class system is Saville is very clear. Describe the divides in Colin's society and where Colin fits in among them. What is the author saying about social class? Is it possible to move up in social class?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)