|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Andrew die?
2. In Part 3, Chapter 16, where are Ellen's parents confined?
3. How does Harry punish Colin for taking Steven to the hut?
4. What nickname does Harry's brother, Jack, go by?
5. Who helps with Ellen's dying parents in Part 3, Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the house the Savilles move into just outside of Saxton.
2. How does Harry act when Colin comes home from taking his examination?
3. Why does Harry look up to Mr. Reagan?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 8, how does Harry treat Colin's practice tests?
5. What does Colin look like after a day of working on the farm?
6. How does inventing affect Harry in Part 2, Chapter 7?
7. How is Ellen able to tell when Colin takes Steven to the hut?
8. What happens when Colin hears a voice while working on the farm in Part 3, Chapter 14?
9. What happens during Colin's first day of school?
10. What happens when Colin helps a fellow student at school in Part 3, Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does education impact Colin's life? From entrance exams to his career, follow the effects education has on Colin as a character. How does it motivate him? How does it hold him back? What does education mean to Colin?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of dialect in Saville. Why does the author use this dialect? How does it help to create the characters and the place in Saville? Is the dialect effective? How?
Essay Topic 3
What is the message this author creates about the military? Examine the characters that are either veterans, in the military or considering the military as a career. How are they described? Are their story lines positive or negative? How so?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)