|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 6, what does Colin do on Sundays?
2. What does Ellen's mother think girls should do?
3. What day of the week does Stafford come over to the Savilles' house in Part 3, Chapter 15?
4. Why was Colin's mother in the hospital?
5. At the seashore, how does Colin first react to the water?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during Colin's first day of school?
2. Why does Harry decide to go to a different beach in Part 1, Chapter 3?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 8, how does Harry treat Colin's practice tests?
4. Why is Colin late for school in Part 3, Chapter 12?
5. What happens on the bus ride to Colin's examination?
6. What were the results of the entrance exam for Colin and his friends?
7. What happens when Colin hears a voice while working on the farm in Part 3, Chapter 14?
8. How does Ellen feel when she visits her parents in Part 3, Chapter 16?
9. Why does Colin get into a fist fight in Part 3, Chapter 15?
10. In Part 3, Chapter 16, how does Colin describe the teachers at his school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does education impact Colin's life? From entrance exams to his career, follow the effects education has on Colin as a character. How does it motivate him? How does it hold him back? What does education mean to Colin?
Essay Topic 2
Colin is very concerned with being able to take care of his parents. How does Colin try to care for his parents? How do they receive his help? Why is it so important to Colin to provide for them? How does this develop Colin as a character?
Essay Topic 3
Rugby is an important sport in Saxton. Who plays rugby? How do the characters in this novel feel about the sport? What does the sport represent in this novel? How is rugby used to help define the time and place of Saville?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)