|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Harry punish Colin for taking Steven to the hut?
2. Where does Harry plant vegetables in Part 2, Chapter 8?
3. Which day of school is Colin late for?
4. After the casts come off Harry's legs, what does he ask Mr. Reagan for?
5. What does Harry do after running into his friend in Part 1, Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harry decide to go to a different beach in Part 1, Chapter 3?
2. Why does Harry look up to Mr. Reagan?
3. What makes the food the Savilles serve Stafford in Part 3, Chapter 15 so special?
4. What happens when Colin helps a fellow student at school in Part 3, Chapter 13?
5. What were the results of the entrance exam for Colin and his friends?
6. How does inventing affect Harry in Part 2, Chapter 7?
7. How does Colin feel about the town where his new school is?
8. How is Ellen able to tell when Colin takes Steven to the hut?
9. In Part 2, Chapter 8, how does Harry treat Colin's practice tests?
10. What happens the first time Colin goes to Sunday school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The class system is Saville is very clear. Describe the divides in Colin's society and where Colin fits in among them. What is the author saying about social class? Is it possible to move up in social class?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Colin's three main romances. How are they similar? How are they different? Does Colin grow as a character at all in terms of his romantic encounters?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Colin's educational philosophies as a teacher. How did he exemplify these beliefs? What did his beliefs mean to him? How did they change over time? What is your opinion of Colin's philosophies?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)