|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Harry beat Colin in Part 2, Chapter 10?
2. Why was Colin's mother in the hospital?
3. How long does Colin work on the farm?
4. What type of inventions does Harry start to create in Part 2, Chapter 7?
5. Where do Colin and Stafford go after finishing tea at the Savilles' in Part 3, Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Colin feel about the town where his new school is?
2. What happens the first time Colin goes to Sunday school?
3. What happens on the bus ride to Colin's examination?
4. Why does Harry look up to Mr. Reagan?
5. What happens during Colin's first day of school?
6. How does Colin feel after Steven comes home in Part 2, Chapter 6?
7. When Colin stays with the Shaws in Part 1, Chapter 5, how is his life?
8. In Part 2, Chapter 8, how does Harry treat Colin's practice tests?
9. Why does Colin get in trouble with his father in Part 2, Chapter 10?
10. Describe the house the Savilles move into just outside of Saxton.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The hut is an important place for Colin as a boy. Describe the hut and the activities the boys did when they were there. What purpose does the hut serve and why is it included in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
The coal mine where Harry works is central to the lives of the Savilles. What is work in the coal mine like? How are miners perceived? How does working in the coal mine define Harry? How does Harry view his work? How does the coal mine help to develop the plot of this novel?
Essay Topic 3
Colin is very concerned with being able to take care of his parents. How does Colin try to care for his parents? How do they receive his help? Why is it so important to Colin to provide for them? How does this develop Colin as a character?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)