|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 13, what does Harry tell Colin he is proud of?
2. What does Ellen's mother think girls should do?
3. How does Harry feel toward Mr. Reagan?
4. What shift does Harry work at the coal pit?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 13, how is Batty doing in school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Colin look like after a day of working on the farm?
2. How does Harry feel about his family's vacation to the seashore?
3. What happens on the bus ride to Colin's examination?
4. What makes the food the Savilles serve Stafford in Part 3, Chapter 15 so special?
5. How does Colin feel after Steven comes home in Part 2, Chapter 6?
6. What happens when Colin hears a voice while working on the farm in Part 3, Chapter 14?
7. Why does Harry look up to Mr. Reagan?
8. Why does Harry decide to go to a different beach in Part 1, Chapter 3?
9. What happens when Colin helps a fellow student at school in Part 3, Chapter 13?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 8, how does Harry treat Colin's practice tests?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Colin to his brothers. Consider their aspirations, actions, and passions. How they are treated within the Saville family?
Essay Topic 2
How does education impact Colin's life? From entrance exams to his career, follow the effects education has on Colin as a character. How does it motivate him? How does it hold him back? What does education mean to Colin?
Essay Topic 3
Rugby is an important sport in Saxton. Who plays rugby? How do the characters in this novel feel about the sport? What does the sport represent in this novel? How is rugby used to help define the time and place of Saville?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)