|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Steven takes his entrance exams for school?
(a) He does not get into King Edward's.
(b) He does better than Colin did.
(c) He gets into King Edward's.
(d) He fails them completely.
2. What does Harry try to convince his father to do when he visits him at a nursing home?
(a) To move to a better nursing home.
(b) To write a memoir.
(c) To share his secret recipes.
(d) To come live with the Savilles.
3. What does Mr. Gannon recommend Colin do at college?
(a) Study engineering.
(b) Learn Latin.
(c) Get a teaching credential.
(d) Study abroad.
4. What does Marion call Stafford when he puts his arm around her for the first time?
5. What surprise event happens to Steve in Part 5, Chapter 30?
(a) He breaks his arm.
(b) He is accepted to Oxford.
(c) He is signed to a professional football team.
(d) He gets a job in Italy.
6. What does Michael Reagan do after his father's death?
(a) Moves to France.
(b) Yells at his mother.
(c) Starts baking cakes.
(d) Gets rid of all the furniture.
7. When Colin sends his parents on vacation at Easter, what happens at home to upset him?
(a) The roof starts to cave in.
(b) The bill collector comes.
(c) Richard runs away.
(d) Steven is alone with a girl.
8. What does Stafford's brother do for a living?
(a) He is a lawyer.
(b) He is a minister.
(c) He is in the army.
(d) He is a business owner.
9. What does Elizabeth accuse Colin of doing in his relationships?
(a) Pretending to be disinterested.
(b) Sucking the life out of women.
(c) Being too loving.
(d) Verbal abuse.
10. What makes Colin suspicious of Stafford's relationship with Margaret?
(a) They drive off together in his car.
(b) He sends her presents.
(c) She keeps his picture in her wallet.
(d) They went to a dance together.
11. What does Elizabeth do when Colin asks what she'll do with her life in Part 5, Chapter 31?
(a) She laughs.
(b) She slaps him.
(c) She cries.
(d) She says nothing.
12. What do Ellen and Colin argue over in Part 5, Chapter 27 that makes her say he is bitter?
13. At the school where Colin teaches in Part 5, Chapter 25, what does the headmaster consider poetry to be?
(b) A joke.
14. In Part 4, Chapter 22, what do Colin and Margaret discuss heatedly?
(b) Women's rights.
(d) Worker's rights.
15. How does Colin meet Sheila?
(a) She is a cousin of a friend.
(b) She works at the local store.
(c) She is his tutor.
(d) She is new to the neighborhood.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Colin and Margaret have drinks in Part 4, Chapter 23?
2. Why doesn't Colin serve in the military?
3. How do Colin's students react to him in the classroom in Part 5, Chapter 28?
4. In Part 4, Chapter 23, where do Colin and Stafford surprise Margaret?
5. In Part 4, Chapter 18, why does Harry get mad at Colin?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)