|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 13, how is Batty doing in school?
(a) He gets mostly Cs.
(b) He is at the top of his class.
(c) He will likely drop out.
(d) He hasn't been placed in a school yet.
2. Where do the Savilles walk for an hour every Sunday?
(a) To the grocery store.
(b) Around the community garden.
(c) Around the village and park.
(d) To the library.
3. Who helps the Savilles manage their grief over losing Andrew?
(d) An unnamed neighbor.
4. When does Harry start building the bomb shelter?
(a) Before Colin's birthday.
(b) After he gets a bonus at work.
(c) After his neighbors were robbed.
(d) After his family's summer vacation.
5. How long does Colin work on the farm?
(a) Five weeks.
(b) Four weeks.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) Seven weeks.
6. How was Harry able to take his family to the seashore in Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) He had to stay with a friend.
(b) He had to borrow money.
(c) He had to use his retirement savings.
(d) He had to work overtime.
7. How does Harry feel toward Mr. Reagan?
(a) He admires him.
(b) He is afraid of him.
(c) He is jealous of him.
(d) He is intimidated by him.
8. What are the two parts of Saxton?
(a) The north part and the south part.
(b) The east part and the west part.
(c) The rich part and the poor part.
(d) The new part and the old part.
9. Why does Harry beat Colin in Part 2, Chapter 10?
(a) For doing poorly on his entrance exam.
(b) For forgetting Steven at the park.
(c) For breaking his sled.
(d) For taking Steven to a dangerous place.
10. Who helps with Ellen's dying parents in Part 3, Chapter 16?
(a) Ellen's sister.
(b) Ellen's niece.
(c) Ellen's cousin.
(d) Ellen's brother.
11. Why does Harry help Colin with testing every night in Part 2, Chapter 8?
(a) So Colin can stay back a grade in school.
(b) So Colin can go to military school.
(c) So Colin can do better in school.
(d) So Colin can skip the next grade in school.
12. Which day of school is Colin late for?
(a) The second.
(b) The first.
(c) The third.
(d) The fourth.
13. How many bunk beds does Harry put in the bomb shelter?
14. Why does Harry creosote the timbers for his bomb shelter?
(a) To make them easy to saw.
(b) To keep it water tight.
(c) To build doors.
(d) To support the walls.
15. What does Harry do after running into his friend in Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) He invites his friend for dinner.
(b) He borrows money from his friend.
(c) He goes home.
(d) He goes to a different beach.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Colin stay when his mother is in the hospital in Part 1, Chapter 5?
2. How does Harry know the friend he runs into while at the seashore in Part 1, Chapter 3?
3. What does Mr. Carter teach at King Edward's?
4. What does Ellen's mother think girls should do?
5. How does Mr. Hodge's react to Colin's tardiness in Part 3, Chapter 12?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)