|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Andrew die?
(a) The family doesn't know.
(b) An accident.
2. When does Harry start building the bomb shelter?
(a) After his neighbors were robbed.
(b) After he gets a bonus at work.
(c) Before Colin's birthday.
(d) After his family's summer vacation.
3. Why does Harry creosote the timbers for his bomb shelter?
(a) To make them easy to saw.
(b) To support the walls.
(c) To build doors.
(d) To keep it water tight.
4. Who does Harry give vegetables to in Part 2, Chapter 8?
(a) Mr. Morrison.
(b) Mr. Shaw.
(c) Mr. Reagan.
(d) Mr. Bletchly.
5. Why did the Savilles and their neighbors go into Harry's bomb shelter in Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) There was a tornado.
(b) They were showing it off.
(c) Harry was looking for work building bomb shelters.
(d) There was an air raid.
6. How does Stafford travel to and from school?
(a) He walks.
(b) A car.
(c) The train.
(d) The bus.
7. After the casts come off Harry's legs, what does he ask Mr. Reagan for?
(a) Babysitting time.
(b) A job.
(c) A loan.
(d) A newspaper.
8. In Part 1, Chapter 3, what does Harry's friend urge him to do?
(a) Leave his family.
(b) Write a book.
(c) Join the military.
(d) Start a business.
9. When Ellen goes to the hospital to have her baby, who helps Steven get ready in the morning?
(d) Mr. Reagan.
10. What does Harry decide not to tell his wife about during their vacation at the seashore?
(a) That her clothes are poorly made.
(b) That a war may start soon.
(c) That Colin is sick.
(d) That they are broke.
11. What are the Saxon's neighbors waiting for in Part 3, Chapter 16?
(a) The opening of a new factory.
(b) The delivery of a daily newspaper.
(c) The end of the war.
(d) The housing prices to rise.
12. What do Grandfather and Mr. Reagan talk about when Grandfather comes to stay with the Savilles?
(a) Fishing stories.
(b) Love stories.
(c) Hunting stories.
(d) War stories.
13. At the seashore, how does Colin first react to the water?
(a) He is fearful.
(b) He is excited.
(c) He is angry.
(d) He is bored.
14. Where do Ellen and Colin go to buy his school uniform?
(b) A nearby town.
(d) A city two hours away.
15. Why is Michael Reagan teased at Sunday school?
(a) Because he reads books.
(b) Because he plays the violin.
(c) Because he has not read the Bible.
(d) Because he shows up late.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ellen's parents are on their death bed, how does Ellen feel about her relationship with them?
2. How does Harry punish Colin for taking Steven to the hut?
3. How does Harry feel toward Mr. Reagan?
4. What job does Colin do when he works on a farm?
5. What does Colin do after his job on the farm ends?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)