|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Colin's mother in the hospital?
(a) She was depressed.
(b) She needed surgery.
(c) She was having a baby.
(d) She broke a bone.
2. What shift does Harry work at the coal pit?
(a) The day shift.
(b) A split shift.
(c) The afternoon shift.
(d) The night shift.
3. What are the two parts of Saxton?
(a) The new part and the old part.
(b) The north part and the south part.
(c) The rich part and the poor part.
(d) The east part and the west part.
4. How long does Colin work on the farm?
(a) Four weeks.
(b) Five weeks.
(c) Seven weeks.
(d) Six weeks.
5. How does Andrew die?
(b) An accident.
(c) The family doesn't know.
6. How long will Colin's bus ride be when he starts school in the fall?
(a) Ten minutes each way.
(b) A half hour each way.
(c) An hour and a half each way.
(d) An hour each way.
7. In Part 2, Chapter 7, who does Colin go to Sunday school with?
8. How many bunk beds does Harry put in the bomb shelter?
9. After the casts come off Harry's legs, what does he ask Mr. Reagan for?
(a) Babysitting time.
(b) A loan.
(c) A job.
(d) A newspaper.
10. In what event does Colin place second in the spring track meet?
(a) Shot put.
(b) High jump.
(c) 20-meter dash.
(d) Long jump.
11. Whose voice does Colin hear one day while working on the farm?
12. How was Harry able to take his family to the seashore in Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) He had to work overtime.
(b) He had to stay with a friend.
(c) He had to borrow money.
(d) He had to use his retirement savings.
13. Where is the Dell located?
(a) Across from a coal mine.
(b) Behind a factory.
(c) By the train tracks.
(d) Near the sewer works.
14. In Part 1, Chapter 1, what irritates Ellen about Andrew?
(a) His sleepiness.
(b) His outgoing personality.
(c) His speech impediment.
(d) His shyness.
15. What type of inventions does Harry start to create in Part 2, Chapter 7?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who failed the grammar school entrance exam?
2. How does Colin get a sled in Part 2, Chapter 10?
3. When the Savilles go sledding in Part 2, Chapter 10, who does not enjoy the activity?
4. Who helps with Ellen's dying parents in Part 3, Chapter 16?
5. Where do Colin and Stafford go after finishing tea at the Savilles' in Part 3, Chapter 15?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)