|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who failed the grammar school entrance exam?
2. How did Harry feel after Colin's fist fight in Part 3, Chapter 15?
3. What does Harry do after running into his friend in Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) He invites his friend for dinner.
(b) He borrows money from his friend.
(c) He goes to a different beach.
(d) He goes home.
4. Who does Colin help with a question in school in Part 3, Chapter 13?
5. Where does Colin stay when his mother is in the hospital in Part 1, Chapter 5?
(a) In the hospital with his mom.
(b) With Harry's boss.
(c) Alone at his house.
(d) With the Shaws.
6. How was Harry able to take his family to the seashore in Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) He had to stay with a friend.
(b) He had to work overtime.
(c) He had to borrow money.
(d) He had to use his retirement savings.
7. How does Harry feel toward Mr. Reagan?
(a) He is jealous of him.
(b) He admires him.
(c) He is intimidated by him.
(d) He is afraid of him.
8. In Part 3, Chapter 16, where are Ellen's parents confined?
(a) To the first floor of their house.
(b) To the couch.
(c) To their bed.
(d) To the hospital.
9. When does Harry start building the bomb shelter?
(a) Before Colin's birthday.
(b) After his neighbors were robbed.
(c) After his family's summer vacation.
(d) After he gets a bonus at work.
10. Why does Harry creosote the timbers for his bomb shelter?
(a) To build doors.
(b) To make them easy to saw.
(c) To support the walls.
(d) To keep it water tight.
11. Who helps with Ellen's dying parents in Part 3, Chapter 16?
(a) Ellen's niece.
(b) Ellen's sister.
(c) Ellen's cousin.
(d) Ellen's brother.
12. How does Harry hide the roof to the bomb shelter?
(a) With timber.
(b) With mirrors.
(c) With rocks.
(d) With grass.
13. What are the two parts of Saxton?
(a) The east part and the west part.
(b) The new part and the old part.
(c) The rich part and the poor part.
(d) The north part and the south part.
14. In Part 2, Chapter 6, what does Colin do on Sundays?
(a) Push Steven in his carriage.
(b) Mow the neighbors' lawns.
(c) Go to church with Harry.
(d) Work at the corner store.
15. In Part 2, Chapter 7, who does Colin go to Sunday school with?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Colin get into a fist fight with in Part 3, Chapter 15?
2. What does Ellen do to Harry when Stafford comes over for tea?
3. What do Grandfather and Mr. Reagan talk about when Grandfather comes to stay with the Savilles?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 1, what irritates Ellen about Andrew?
5. Where will Colin go to school in the fall?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)