|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Colin work on the farm?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) Four weeks.
(c) Five weeks.
(d) Seven weeks.
2. How does Colin think he did on the examination in Part 2, Chapter 9?
(a) Very well.
(b) He has no idea.
3. Why did the Savilles and their neighbors go into Harry's bomb shelter in Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) There was an air raid.
(b) They were showing it off.
(c) Harry was looking for work building bomb shelters.
(d) There was a tornado.
4. What are the two parts of Saxton?
(a) The east part and the west part.
(b) The rich part and the poor part.
(c) The new part and the old part.
(d) The north part and the south part.
5. Why was Colin's mother in the hospital?
(a) She needed surgery.
(b) She was having a baby.
(c) She broke a bone.
(d) She was depressed.
6. Where does Harry plant vegetables in Part 2, Chapter 8?
(a) In Mr. Reagan's backyard.
(b) In his backyard.
(c) The community garden in town.
(d) In a neighboring farm town.
7. How does Harry punish Colin for taking Steven to the hut?
(a) He sends him to his grandparents.
(b) He takes his trains.
(c) He grounds him.
(d) He whips him.
8. What does Colin think about the night before his examinations?
(a) Math and quiz problems.
(b) His mother letting him stay home from school.
(c) Making more money than his father.
(d) His hut with Ian.
9. Where do Colin and Stafford go after finishing tea at the Savilles' in Part 3, Chapter 15?
(a) To the movies.
(b) To a diner.
(c) To the hut.
(d) To town.
10. In Part 3, Chapter 16, where are Ellen's parents confined?
(a) To the couch.
(b) To the first floor of their house.
(c) To the hospital.
(d) To their bed.
11. Who does Harry give vegetables to in Part 2, Chapter 8?
(a) Mr. Morrison.
(b) Mr. Shaw.
(c) Mr. Reagan.
(d) Mr. Bletchly.
12. In Part 1, Chapter 3, what does Harry's friend urge him to do?
(a) Write a book.
(b) Join the military.
(c) Start a business.
(d) Leave his family.
13. What type of inventions does Harry start to create in Part 2, Chapter 7?
14. Where does Colin meet Stafford in Part 2, Chapter 11?
(a) In the principal's office.
(b) During recess.
(c) At the park.
(d) In town.
15. Where is the hut that Colin and his friends built?
(a) By the septic dump.
(b) In a valley.
(c) Behind an incinerator.
(d) Next to the train tracks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shift does Harry work at the coal pit?
2. How was Harry able to take his family to the seashore in Part 1, Chapter 3?
3. What does Harry decide not to tell his wife about during their vacation at the seashore?
4. What does Ellen's mother think girls should do?
5. What did Harry tell Colin about the hospital?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)