|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the Dell located?
(a) Across from a coal mine.
(b) Behind a factory.
(c) Near the sewer works.
(d) By the train tracks.
2. Why did the Savilles and their neighbors go into Harry's bomb shelter in Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) They were showing it off.
(b) There was an air raid.
(c) There was a tornado.
(d) Harry was looking for work building bomb shelters.
3. What happened when the Savilles and their neighbors went into Harry's bomb shelter in Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) The roof collapsed.
(b) The door wouldn't open.
(c) The door wouldn't close.
(d) It was flooded.
4. How does Mr. Hodge's react to Colin's tardiness in Part 3, Chapter 12?
(a) He gives Colin a detention.
(b) He gives Colin a time out.
(c) He gives Colin extra homework.
(d) He gives Colin a red mark.
5. How did Harry feel after Colin's fist fight in Part 3, Chapter 15?
6. Why was Colin's mother in the hospital?
(a) She was having a baby.
(b) She was depressed.
(c) She needed surgery.
(d) She broke a bone.
7. In Part 1, Chapter 3, what does Harry's friend urge him to do?
(a) Write a book.
(b) Join the military.
(c) Start a business.
(d) Leave his family.
8. What does Colin see his father do when he follows him to the park in Part 2, Chapter 6?
(a) March with other men.
(b) Beat up another man.
(c) Steal money.
(d) Buy a gun.
9. Who does Colin get into a fist fight with in Part 3, Chapter 15?
10. When Ellen's parents are on their death bed, how does Ellen feel about her relationship with them?
(a) She was abused.
(b) She did all she could.
(c) She is a disappointment.
(d) She made them proud.
11. How was Harry able to take his family to the seashore in Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) He had to stay with a friend.
(b) He had to work overtime.
(c) He had to use his retirement savings.
(d) He had to borrow money.
12. Who teaches Colin's class at his new school?
(a) Mr. Latin.
(b) Mr. Hubbell.
(c) Mr. Lincoln.
(d) Mr. Hodges.
13. In Part 2, Chapter 9, what do Ellen's parents complain about when she visits them?
(a) How little their children do for them.
(b) How broke they are.
(c) How Ellen doesn't visit often enough.
(d) How their house is falling apart.
14. In Part 2, Chapter 7, who does Colin go to Sunday school with?
15. In Part 1, Chapter 5, how long is Colin's mother in the hospital?
(a) Four months.
(b) A month.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) Two weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Andrew die?
2. What shift does Harry work at the coal pit?
3. What does Harry do after running into his friend in Part 1, Chapter 3?
4. What does Colin think about the night before his examinations?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 1, what irritates Ellen about Andrew?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)