|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long will Colin's bus ride be when he starts school in the fall?
(a) Ten minutes each way.
(b) An hour each way.
(c) A half hour each way.
(d) An hour and a half each way.
2. How does Colin think he did on the examination in Part 2, Chapter 9?
(b) He has no idea.
(d) Very well.
3. Where is the Dell located?
(a) Behind a factory.
(b) By the train tracks.
(c) Near the sewer works.
(d) Across from a coal mine.
4. Where is the hut that Colin and his friends built?
(a) By the septic dump.
(b) Behind an incinerator.
(c) Next to the train tracks.
(d) In a valley.
5. Who does Colin get into a fist fight with in Part 3, Chapter 15?
6. In Part 2, Chapter 7, who does Colin go to Sunday school with?
7. In Part 3, Chapter 12, what happens when Harry comes to one of Colin's games?
(a) He embarrasses Colin.
(b) He roots for the wrong team.
(c) He makes Colin proud.
(d) He shows up late to the game.
8. Who helps the Savilles manage their grief over losing Andrew?
(c) An unnamed neighbor.
9. What shift does Harry work at the coal pit?
(a) A split shift.
(b) The day shift.
(c) The night shift.
(d) The afternoon shift.
10. What are the two parts of Saxton?
(a) The east part and the west part.
(b) The north part and the south part.
(c) The new part and the old part.
(d) The rich part and the poor part.
11. Why does Harry help Colin with testing every night in Part 2, Chapter 8?
(a) So Colin can do better in school.
(b) So Colin can go to military school.
(c) So Colin can skip the next grade in school.
(d) So Colin can stay back a grade in school.
12. When Ellen's parents are on their death bed, how does Ellen feel about her relationship with them?
(a) She did all she could.
(b) She made them proud.
(c) She is a disappointment.
(d) She was abused.
13. When the Savilles go sledding in Part 2, Chapter 10, who does not enjoy the activity?
14. Why does Harry creosote the timbers for his bomb shelter?
(a) To build doors.
(b) To keep it water tight.
(c) To make them easy to saw.
(d) To support the walls.
15. In Part 3, Chapter 13, how is Batty doing in school?
(a) He will likely drop out.
(b) He gets mostly Cs.
(c) He hasn't been placed in a school yet.
(d) He is at the top of his class.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Colin meet Stafford in Part 2, Chapter 11?
2. Who does Harry give vegetables to in Part 2, Chapter 8?
3. What day of the week does Stafford come over to the Savilles' house in Part 3, Chapter 15?
4. Why does Harry become frustrated with Colin's preparatory tests?
5. Who does Colin help with a question in school in Part 3, Chapter 13?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)