|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Harry do after running into his friend in Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) He borrows money from his friend.
(b) He goes home.
(c) He goes to a different beach.
(d) He invites his friend for dinner.
2. Who failed the grammar school entrance exam?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 7, who does Colin go to Sunday school with?
4. What nationalities are the prisoners of war Colin interacts with in Part 3, Chapter 14?
(a) Polish and Russian.
(b) German and Italian.
(c) French and Spanish.
(d) English and Irish.
5. How does Harry hide the roof to the bomb shelter?
(a) With grass.
(b) With mirrors.
(c) With timber.
(d) With rocks.
6. Where does Colin meet Stafford in Part 2, Chapter 11?
(a) During recess.
(b) In town.
(c) In the principal's office.
(d) At the park.
7. When Ellen's parents are on their death bed, how does Ellen feel about her relationship with them?
(a) She was abused.
(b) She is a disappointment.
(c) She made them proud.
(d) She did all she could.
8. What shift does Harry work at the coal pit?
(a) A split shift.
(b) The night shift.
(c) The afternoon shift.
(d) The day shift.
9. Why does Harry become frustrated with Colin's preparatory tests?
(a) The tests are all the same.
(b) He can't find the advanced tests anywhere.
(c) Colin keeps getting too many wrong.
(d) The questions become harder.
10. How does Colin get a sled in Part 2, Chapter 10?
(a) Ellen buys him one.
(b) He finds it behind his school.
(c) Harry makes him one.
(d) Ian lets him borrow his.
11. How does Stafford travel to and from school?
(a) A car.
(b) He walks.
(c) The bus.
(d) The train.
12. At the seashore, how does Colin first react to the water?
(a) He is fearful.
(b) He is angry.
(c) He is bored.
(d) He is excited.
13. In Part 2, Chapter 6, what does Colin do on Sundays?
(a) Go to church with Harry.
(b) Work at the corner store.
(c) Push Steven in his carriage.
(d) Mow the neighbors' lawns.
14. How does Harry know the friend he runs into while at the seashore in Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) From college.
(b) From the factory.
(c) From the military.
(d) From the coal mine.
15. Who do the Savilles run into while sledding in Part 2, Chapter 10?
(b) Mr. Reagan.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Hodge's react to Colin's tardiness in Part 3, Chapter 12?
2. Where will Colin go to school in the fall?
3. What nickname does Harry's brother, Jack, go by?
4. How does Andrew die?
5. Why did the Savilles and their neighbors go into Harry's bomb shelter in Part 1, Chapter 4?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)