|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helps with Ellen's dying parents in Part 3, Chapter 16?
(a) Ellen's niece.
(b) Ellen's brother.
(c) Ellen's cousin.
(d) Ellen's sister.
2. How does Andrew die?
(b) The family doesn't know.
(c) An accident.
3. How long does Colin's examination take?
(a) All day.
(b) One and a half hours.
(c) Two hours.
(d) Half an hour.
4. How was Harry able to take his family to the seashore in Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) He had to work overtime.
(b) He had to borrow money.
(c) He had to use his retirement savings.
(d) He had to stay with a friend.
5. Who helps the Savilles manage their grief over losing Andrew?
(d) An unnamed neighbor.
6. Where will Colin go to school in the fall?
(a) Liggett University.
(b) Melsham Manor.
(c) King Edward's Grammar School.
(d) Elizabethan Prep.
7. Where do the Savilles walk for an hour every Sunday?
(a) To the library.
(b) Around the village and park.
(c) To the grocery store.
(d) Around the community garden.
8. Where does Mr. Bletchley work?
(a) A truck depot.
(b) A coal mine.
(c) He is unemployed.
(d) A bank.
9. What happened when the Savilles and their neighbors went into Harry's bomb shelter in Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) The door wouldn't close.
(b) The door wouldn't open.
(c) It was flooded.
(d) The roof collapsed.
10. Where do Colin and Stafford go after finishing tea at the Savilles' in Part 3, Chapter 15?
(a) To the movies.
(b) To the hut.
(c) To a diner.
(d) To town.
11. How many bunk beds does Harry put in the bomb shelter?
12. How did Harry feel after Colin's fist fight in Part 3, Chapter 15?
13. Why does Harry beat Colin in Part 2, Chapter 10?
(a) For doing poorly on his entrance exam.
(b) For forgetting Steven at the park.
(c) For breaking his sled.
(d) For taking Steven to a dangerous place.
14. What does Ellen's mother think girls should do?
(a) Take care of the animals.
(b) Take care of the children.
(c) Take care of their mothers.
(d) Take care of their husbands.
15. What does the school's motto, Labor Ipse Voluptas, mean?
(a) Learning is work.
(b) Work for your money.
(c) Pleasure after work.
(d) Work is a pleasure.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Michael Reagan teased at Sunday school?
2. Why was Colin's mother in the hospital?
3. Which day of school is Colin late for?
4. How old is Colin in Part 3, Chapter 14?
5. Why does Harry creosote the timbers for his bomb shelter?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)