|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 13, how is Batty doing in school?
(a) He hasn't been placed in a school yet.
(b) He gets mostly Cs.
(c) He is at the top of his class.
(d) He will likely drop out.
2. Which day of school is Colin late for?
(a) The third.
(b) The fourth.
(c) The second.
(d) The first.
3. What does the school's motto, Labor Ipse Voluptas, mean?
(a) Pleasure after work.
(b) Work is a pleasure.
(c) Learning is work.
(d) Work for your money.
4. What shift does Harry work at the coal pit?
(a) A split shift.
(b) The day shift.
(c) The night shift.
(d) The afternoon shift.
5. In Part 3, Chapter 12, what happens when Harry comes to one of Colin's games?
(a) He makes Colin proud.
(b) He roots for the wrong team.
(c) He embarrasses Colin.
(d) He shows up late to the game.
6. How was Harry able to take his family to the seashore in Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) He had to use his retirement savings.
(b) He had to borrow money.
(c) He had to work overtime.
(d) He had to stay with a friend.
7. When the Savilles go sledding in Part 2, Chapter 10, who does not enjoy the activity?
8. What nickname does Harry's brother, Jack, go by?
(a) Jack Jack.
(b) Black Jack.
(c) Mad Jack.
(d) Jack Man.
9. Why does Harry help Colin with testing every night in Part 2, Chapter 8?
(a) So Colin can do better in school.
(b) So Colin can go to military school.
(c) So Colin can stay back a grade in school.
(d) So Colin can skip the next grade in school.
10. What does Colin see his father do when he follows him to the park in Part 2, Chapter 6?
(a) Steal money.
(b) March with other men.
(c) Buy a gun.
(d) Beat up another man.
11. What are the Saxon's neighbors waiting for in Part 3, Chapter 16?
(a) The end of the war.
(b) The housing prices to rise.
(c) The opening of a new factory.
(d) The delivery of a daily newspaper.
12. How old is Andrew in Part 1, Chapter 2?
13. Whose voice does Colin hear one day while working on the farm?
14. How does Andrew die?
(a) An accident.
(b) The family doesn't know.
15. Why does Ellen buy Colin's uniform too large for him?
(a) So he won't feel too confident.
(b) Because she didn't know his size.
(c) So he can grow into it.
(d) Because it was the only size available.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 16, where are Ellen's parents confined?
2. Who helps the Savilles manage their grief over losing Andrew?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 9, what do Ellen's parents complain about when she visits them?
4. Who does Colin get into a fist fight with in Part 3, Chapter 15?
5. How long does Colin work on the farm?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)