|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the school administrator at Morris High School in the South Bronx encourage the supposedly slow children to express themselves?
2. What do the students at Camden High School do during their lunch hour?
3. What are test scores in math and reading in America graded against?
4. According to Kozol, how many people are supposed to be in PS261 at one time?
5. How low does Kozol report you can purchase a home for in North Camden?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the judge respond to the class-action suit filed by the parent's of Raymond Abbot?
2. How do the children attending public schools in the suburbs of New York that Kozol interviews feel about sharing funding and resources with children at urban public schools?
3. Where does Delabian Rice-Thurston say the rich and middle class in Washington, D.C. try to send their children to school? Why don't the poor parents send their children to the same schools?
4. Name three specific examples of overcrowding in New Jersey public schools.
5. How do the suburban schools in New York compare to the urban schools in New York?
6. Who is Joe Clark? What role did he play in the New Jersey public school system?
7. What similarity exist between selective schools in New York and Chicago?
8. How does the court ultimately rule in the class-action suit filed in 1981 by parents of school children in East Orange, Camden, Irvington, and Jersey City? What is the reaction of wealthier tax payers?
9. Describe PS 79.
10. What problems do highly selective schools create in New York? Why do they create these problems?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kozol focuses on state and federal regulation of schools. In what ways do the states regulate the schools? In what ways does the federal government regulate American school system? How are these responsibilities divided amongst the state and federal entities? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Why is it hard for urban public schools to retain young teachers? Where do the young teachers end up teaching? What changes should the school system to make in order to recruit and retain young teachers? Because the urban school system has many aging teachers, what future issues may arise as the teachers start to near retirement age? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Kozol points out that racial discrimination is the cause of many of the inequalities that exist in the public school system. However, some of the individuals that he interviews think that it's a socioeconomic issue and not a race issue. Based on the book Savage Inequalities, are the problems that exist in urban public schools caused by racial discrimination, socioeconomic status, or both. Why? Provide at least three detailed reasons for your answer. Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,214 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)