|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason do students give Kozol for dropping out of school in New York?
2. What is the only bright, clean building in the Camden area?
3. Who said that Americans allow all of their children the things they need to compete at the highest levels of success?
4. Who used to attend the church in Camden that Kozol passes while chatting with two teachers from Camden High School?
5. What business entities exist in Camden but do not pay taxes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the children attending public schools in the suburbs of New York that Kozol interviews feel about sharing funding and resources with children at urban public schools?
2. What resources do the teachers at Pyne Point Junior High lack? How do the teachers improvise?
3. How does Kozol describe the two worlds of Washington, D.C.?
4. Where does Delabian Rice-Thurston say the rich and middle class in Washington, D.C. try to send their children to school? Why don't the poor parents send their children to the same schools?
5. How do the suburban schools in New York compare to the urban schools in New York?
6. How does Kozol describe the Anacostia neighborhood where Harper and her mother live?
7. How does Kozol describe the D.C. school system?
8. Who is Joe Clark? What role did he play in the New Jersey public school system?
9. Describe the Milliken v. Bradley case's appeal to Supreme Court.
10. Describe PS 79.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kozol visits schools where teachers and administrators admit to sending their children to schools other than the one where they teach. What reasons do they give for sending their children to other schools? What is the significance of teachers at poor inner city schools sending their children to suburban public schools or more affluent urban public schools? What theme does this represent? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Jonathan Kozol says that he wrote Savage Inequalities so that the voices of the children that attend public schools in America could be heard. In your opinion, what audience did Kozol want to read this book? Who was his target audience? Did he write his book for teachers, administrators, state leaders, government officials, etc? Why do you think he wrote the book for the audience that you have identified? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Kozol focuses on state and federal regulation of schools. In what ways do the states regulate the schools? In what ways does the federal government regulate American school system? How are these responsibilities divided amongst the state and federal entities? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,230 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)