Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are two of the problems that Vernon Dover, principal of Pyne Point Junior High, tells Kozol exist at his school?
2. How does the school administrator at Morris High School in the South Bronx encourage the supposedly slow children to express themselves?
3. How long do some of the students at Morris High School think it will be before blacks and whites work together to better public education?
4. What is the fate of Raymond Abbot long after the court's decision is rendered?
5. What is the race of the non-white children in the accelerated classes at the school in Riverdale?
Essay Topic 1
Chapter 6 is entitled, The Dream Deferred, Again, in San Antonio. What dream was Kozol referring to and how was it deferred again? Who or what caused the dream to be deferred? Is there any way to save the dream from being deferred? If not, how could the dream be revitalized after being deferred? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
According to Kozol, non-white leaders are often picked to solve local school problems. Why is it assumed that non-white leaders are the best candidate to solve the problems of local urban school systems? Who would be the best candidate(s) to solve the local school problems? Why?
Essay Topic 3
In various areas, Kozol speaks with adults about the health of the students that attend the poor urban schools and that live in the community. What types of illnesses do the adults mention children having in the various cities that Kozol visits? How do the students get these illnesses? Based on the book, how do you think these illness effect children's education? What can be done to improve the health of students in these various urban cities? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)