Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are two of the problems that Vernon Dover, principal of Pyne Point Junior High, tells Kozol exist at his school?
2. How does the school administrator at Morris High School in the South Bronx encourage the supposedly slow children to express themselves?
3. How long do some of the students at Morris High School think it will be before blacks and whites work together to better public education?
4. What is the fate of Raymond Abbot long after the court's decision is rendered?
5. What is the race of the non-white children in the accelerated classes at the school in Riverdale?
Essay Topic 1
Why is it hard for urban public schools to retain young teachers? Where do the young teachers end up teaching? What changes should the school system to make in order to recruit and retain young teachers? Because the urban school system has many aging teachers, what future issues may arise as the teachers start to near retirement age? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
In various areas, Kozol speaks with adults about the health of the students that attend the poor urban schools and that live in the community. What types of illnesses do the adults mention children having in the various cities that Kozol visits? How do the students get these illnesses? Based on the book, how do you think these illness effect children's education? What can be done to improve the health of students in these various urban cities? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Kozol shows the financial differences between the amount that public urban schools spend per pupil and the amount that public suburban schools spend per pupil. Why do these differences exist? Why don't the parents of students attending poor urban schools fight the school board for school funding equal to that of the suburban public school systems? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,466 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)