Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are two of the problems that Vernon Dover, principal of Pyne Point Junior High, tells Kozol exist at his school?
2. How does the school administrator at Morris High School in the South Bronx encourage the supposedly slow children to express themselves?
3. How long do some of the students at Morris High School think it will be before blacks and whites work together to better public education?
4. What is the fate of Raymond Abbot long after the court's decision is rendered?
5. What is the race of the non-white children in the accelerated classes at the school in Riverdale?
Essay Topic 1
Kozol visits schools where teachers and administrators admit to sending their children to schools other than the one where they teach. What reasons do they give for sending their children to other schools? What is the significance of teachers at poor inner city schools sending their children to suburban public schools or more affluent urban public schools? What theme does this represent? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
The book Savage Inequalities depicts the inequalities that exist in the nation's public schools. What two problems seem to be common among the school systems that Kozol describes in the book? Describe these two problems and why they are considered problems. What suggestions would you make to improve these problems? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Kozol get mad at business leaders who have the capability to assist poor urban public schools? What do business leaders do to contribute to the systematic problems that exist in the public school system? How do legislators contribute to the problems that exist in the public school system? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)