|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long do some of the students at Morris High School think it will be before blacks and whites work together to better public education?
2. What state is Camden located in?
3. What does the Wall Street Journal say has remained static while per-pupil spending has increased?
4. At what age does the principal in Anacostia say many of the boys in her school will be dead?
5. Who said that Americans allow all of their children the things they need to compete at the highest levels of success?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jonathan Kozol says that he wrote Savage Inequalities so that the voices of the children that attend public schools in America could be heard. In your opinion, what audience did Kozol want to read this book? Who was his target audience? Did he write his book for teachers, administrators, state leaders, government officials, etc? Why do you think he wrote the book for the audience that you have identified? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Kozol points out that racial discrimination is the cause of many of the inequalities that exist in the public school system. However, some of the individuals that he interviews think that it's a socioeconomic issue and not a race issue. Based on the book Savage Inequalities, are the problems that exist in urban public schools caused by racial discrimination, socioeconomic status, or both. Why? Provide at least three detailed reasons for your answer. Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Racial discrimination is a major theme in the book Savage Inequalities. What reasons does Kozol give for racial discrimination being the reason that poor urban schools receive less funding? Why does Kozol think the inequalities have more to do with race than with economics? Do you agree with Kozol's reasons for why the inequalities exist at poor urban schools? Why or why not? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,413 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)