|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age does the principal in Anacostia say many of the boys in her school will be dead?
2. Who used to attend the church in Camden that Kozol passes while chatting with two teachers from Camden High School?
3. According to Kozol, how many people are supposed to be in PS261 at one time?
4. How long do some of the students at Morris High School think it will be before blacks and whites work together to better public education?
5. Who does the press hail as the answer to solving local school problems?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kozol describe the situation at Asbury Park and Irvington?
2. Describe PS 79.
3. Describe PS 261.
4. What similarity exist between selective schools in New York and Chicago?
5. What does Tunisia, a student at Anacostia Elementary School, say that she would do if she had money? Why?
6. Why does Kozol think that inner city problems would not be totally solved by better schools?
7. How does the court ultimately rule in the class-action suit filed in 1981 by parents of school children in East Orange, Camden, Irvington, and Jersey City? What is the reaction of wealthier tax payers?
8. How do the suburban schools in New York compare to the urban schools in New York?
9. Describe the Milliken v. Bradley case's appeal to Supreme Court.
10. How does Kozol describe the two worlds of Washington, D.C.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is it hard for urban public schools to retain young teachers? Where do the young teachers end up teaching? What changes should the school system to make in order to recruit and retain young teachers? Because the urban school system has many aging teachers, what future issues may arise as the teachers start to near retirement age? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Kozol visits schools where teachers and administrators admit to sending their children to schools other than the one where they teach. What reasons do they give for sending their children to other schools? What is the significance of teachers at poor inner city schools sending their children to suburban public schools or more affluent urban public schools? What theme does this represent? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Kozol focuses on state and federal regulation of schools. In what ways do the states regulate the schools? In what ways does the federal government regulate American school system? How are these responsibilities divided amongst the state and federal entities? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,223 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)