|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the dropout rate for Woodrow Wilson High School?
2. What are test scores in math and reading in America graded against?
3. What type of facility is missing from Camden High School?
4. What state is Camden located in?
5. How much money does President H.W. Bush's alma-mater spend per student?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kozol describe the two worlds of Washington, D.C.?
2. Why do public schools in certain areas of New York suffer more than others?
3. How does Kozol describe the D.C. school system?
4. What similarity exist between selective schools in New York and Chicago?
5. Where does Delabian Rice-Thurston say the rich and middle class in Washington, D.C. try to send their children to school? Why don't the poor parents send their children to the same schools?
6. Hoe does Kozol describe Camden, New Jersey?
7. How does the judge respond to the class-action suit filed by the parent's of Raymond Abbot?
8. Describe PS 79.
9. How are test scores in math and reading determined? How do the determination of these scores affect children in poor schools?
10. How do the children attending public schools in the suburbs of New York that Kozol interviews feel about sharing funding and resources with children at urban public schools?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Kozol get mad at business leaders who have the capability to assist poor urban public schools? What do business leaders do to contribute to the systematic problems that exist in the public school system? How do legislators contribute to the problems that exist in the public school system? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
In various areas, Kozol speaks with adults about the health of the students that attend the poor urban schools and that live in the community. What types of illnesses do the adults mention children having in the various cities that Kozol visits? How do the students get these illnesses? Based on the book, how do you think these illness effect children's education? What can be done to improve the health of students in these various urban cities? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Kozol points out that racial discrimination is the cause of many of the inequalities that exist in the public school system. However, some of the individuals that he interviews think that it's a socioeconomic issue and not a race issue. Based on the book Savage Inequalities, are the problems that exist in urban public schools caused by racial discrimination, socioeconomic status, or both. Why? Provide at least three detailed reasons for your answer. Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)