|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are two of the problems that Vernon Dover, principal of Pyne Point Junior High, tells Kozol exist at his school?
2. How does the school administrator at Morris High School in the South Bronx encourage the supposedly slow children to express themselves?
3. How long do some of the students at Morris High School think it will be before blacks and whites work together to better public education?
4. What is the fate of Raymond Abbot long after the court's decision is rendered?
5. What is the race of the non-white children in the accelerated classes at the school in Riverdale?
Essay Topic 1
Kozol refers to many major media outlets for information about public education in the urban cities. What role does the media (e.g., newspapers, magazines, TV) play in spreading information about the public school system? What information does Kozol use from the media? How does Kozol use information from the media to discuss the public school system? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
The book Savage Inequalities depicts the inequalities that exist in the nation's public schools. What two problems seem to be common among the school systems that Kozol describes in the book? Describe these two problems and why they are considered problems. What suggestions would you make to improve these problems? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
In the chapter entitled, The Savage Inequalities of Public Education in New York, Kozol travels to two schools that have issues with space. What limitations does the issue of space put on the teachers, students, and administrators? What future issues could arise because of the limited space at the schools? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,466 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)