|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason do students give Kozol for dropping out of school in New York?
2. What is one way not mentioned by Kozol's friend Elizabeth that poor people know that they are living in a rich society?
3. Where is Camden ranked in terms of its number of poor people as compared to other states in the U.S.?
4. At an elementary school in Anacostia, Kozol speaks with a young girl named Tunisia. What is not one of the things that Tunisia tell Kozol she would do if she had a lot of money?
5. What racial group makes up 92 percent of the children that attend the public schools in Washington, D.C.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book Savage Inequalities depicts the inequalities that exist in the nation's public schools. What two problems seem to be common among the school systems that Kozol describes in the book? Describe these two problems and why they are considered problems. What suggestions would you make to improve these problems? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Kozol visits schools where teachers and administrators admit to sending their children to schools other than the one where they teach. What reasons do they give for sending their children to other schools? What is the significance of teachers at poor inner city schools sending their children to suburban public schools or more affluent urban public schools? What theme does this represent? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
According to Kozol, non-white leaders are often picked to solve local school problems. Why is it assumed that non-white leaders are the best candidate to solve the problems of local urban school systems? Who would be the best candidate(s) to solve the local school problems? Why?
This section contains 1,462 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)