|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Thurston, why are poor people in Washington, D.C. willing to accept a dual system of public education?
2. What does Kozol think will not solve inner-city problems?
3. Why did the city of Chicago construct the high-speed Dan Ryan Expressway to go around certain parts of the city?
4. What is one way Jonathan Kozol says can show people how valuable we think they are?
5. What type of people does Octovia, a child at the Anacostia elementary school, say that the girls want to be like when they grow up?
Essay Topic 1
Kozol refers to many major media outlets for information about public education in the urban cities. What role does the media (e.g., newspapers, magazines, TV) play in spreading information about the public school system? What information does Kozol use from the media? How does Kozol use information from the media to discuss the public school system? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Racial discrimination is a major theme in the book Savage Inequalities. What reasons does Kozol give for racial discrimination being the reason that poor urban schools receive less funding? Why does Kozol think the inequalities have more to do with race than with economics? Do you agree with Kozol's reasons for why the inequalities exist at poor urban schools? Why or why not? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Kozol visits schools where teachers and administrators admit to sending their children to schools other than the one where they teach. What reasons do they give for sending their children to other schools? What is the significance of teachers at poor inner city schools sending their children to suburban public schools or more affluent urban public schools? What theme does this represent? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,541 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)