|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which school did President George H.W. Bush attend?
2. What is the only bright, clean building in the Camden area?
3. How low does Kozol report you can purchase a home for in North Camden?
4. Who are the manual arts classes in the Riverdale school reserved for?
5. What does the principal at PS79 say he will have to do if more students enroll at his school?
Essay Topic 1
Jonathan Kozol says that he wrote Savage Inequalities so that the voices of the children that attend public schools in America could be heard. In your opinion, what audience did Kozol want to read this book? Who was his target audience? Did he write his book for teachers, administrators, state leaders, government officials, etc? Why do you think he wrote the book for the audience that you have identified? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Chapter 6 is entitled, The Dream Deferred, Again, in San Antonio. What dream was Kozol referring to and how was it deferred again? Who or what caused the dream to be deferred? Is there any way to save the dream from being deferred? If not, how could the dream be revitalized after being deferred? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Kozol get mad at business leaders who have the capability to assist poor urban public schools? What do business leaders do to contribute to the systematic problems that exist in the public school system? How do legislators contribute to the problems that exist in the public school system? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,432 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)