|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are two of the problems that Vernon Dover, principal of Pyne Point Junior High, tells Kozol exist at his school?
2. How does the school administrator at Morris High School in the South Bronx encourage the supposedly slow children to express themselves?
3. How long do some of the students at Morris High School think it will be before blacks and whites work together to better public education?
4. What is the fate of Raymond Abbot long after the court's decision is rendered?
5. What is the race of the non-white children in the accelerated classes at the school in Riverdale?
Essay Topic 1
Kozol focuses on state and federal regulation of schools. In what ways do the states regulate the schools? In what ways does the federal government regulate American school system? How are these responsibilities divided amongst the state and federal entities? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Kozol visits schools where teachers and administrators admit to sending their children to schools other than the one where they teach. What reasons do they give for sending their children to other schools? What is the significance of teachers at poor inner city schools sending their children to suburban public schools or more affluent urban public schools? What theme does this represent? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
According to Kozol, non-white leaders are often picked to solve local school problems. Why is it assumed that non-white leaders are the best candidate to solve the problems of local urban school systems? Who would be the best candidate(s) to solve the local school problems? Why?
This section contains 1,466 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)