Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are two of the problems that Vernon Dover, principal of Pyne Point Junior High, tells Kozol exist at his school?
2. How does the school administrator at Morris High School in the South Bronx encourage the supposedly slow children to express themselves?
3. How long do some of the students at Morris High School think it will be before blacks and whites work together to better public education?
4. What is the fate of Raymond Abbot long after the court's decision is rendered?
5. What is the race of the non-white children in the accelerated classes at the school in Riverdale?
Essay Topic 1
In his interviews, Kozol asks several individuals what they think is the answer to better schools. Based on the book Savage Inequalities, what are some of the ways to better schools? How can these ways be implemented in the schools/communities? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Kozol has his class read Langston Hughes poem, A Dream Deferred. Based on Kozol's interviews, how does this poem apply to the lives of the children Kozol visits in the urban public school systems? Why would their dreams be deferred? What happens to those students whose dreams are deferred? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Kozol refers to many major media outlets for information about public education in the urban cities. What role does the media (e.g., newspapers, magazines, TV) play in spreading information about the public school system? What information does Kozol use from the media? How does Kozol use information from the media to discuss the public school system? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)