|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Thurston, why are poor people in Washington, D.C. willing to accept a dual system of public education?
2. At an elementary school in Anacostia, Kozol speaks with a young girl named Tunisia. What is not one of the things that Tunisia tell Kozol she would do if she had a lot of money?
3. What does Kozol say Camden's entire property wealth of $250 million is less than the value of?
4. What type of early child care program can the principal at PS79 not start at his school?
5. What is the only bright, clean building in the Camden area?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do public schools in certain areas of New York suffer more than others?
2. What resources do the teachers at Pyne Point Junior High lack? How do the teachers improvise?
3. Name three specific examples of overcrowding in New Jersey public schools.
4. How does Kozol describe the situation at Asbury Park and Irvington?
5. Where does Delabian Rice-Thurston say the rich and middle class in Washington, D.C. try to send their children to school? Why don't the poor parents send their children to the same schools?
6. How do the suburban schools in New York compare to the urban schools in New York?
7. What does Tunisia, a student at Anacostia Elementary School, say that she would do if she had money? Why?
8. Hoe does Kozol describe Camden, New Jersey?
9. Why does Kozol think that inner city problems would not be totally solved by better schools?
10. How does Kozol describe the Anacostia neighborhood where Harper and her mother live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jonathan Kozol says that he wrote Savage Inequalities so that the voices of the children that attend public schools in America could be heard. In your opinion, what audience did Kozol want to read this book? Who was his target audience? Did he write his book for teachers, administrators, state leaders, government officials, etc? Why do you think he wrote the book for the audience that you have identified? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
In his interviews, Kozol asks several individuals what they think is the answer to better schools. Based on the book Savage Inequalities, what are some of the ways to better schools? How can these ways be implemented in the schools/communities? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Kozol points out that racial discrimination is the cause of many of the inequalities that exist in the public school system. However, some of the individuals that he interviews think that it's a socioeconomic issue and not a race issue. Based on the book Savage Inequalities, are the problems that exist in urban public schools caused by racial discrimination, socioeconomic status, or both. Why? Provide at least three detailed reasons for your answer. Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,293 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)