|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the former principal of East Side High School that was praised by U.S. Education Secretary William Bennett?
2. What type of equipment do the students at Pyne Point Junior High use in their typing class?
3. What is the only bright, clean building in the Camden area?
4. What are test scores in math and reading in America graded against?
5. What does Kozol think will not solve inner-city problems?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the court ultimately rule in the class-action suit filed in 1981 by parents of school children in East Orange, Camden, Irvington, and Jersey City? What is the reaction of wealthier tax payers?
2. What resources do the teachers at Pyne Point Junior High lack? How do the teachers improvise?
3. Describe PS 79.
4. How does Kozol describe the two worlds of Washington, D.C.?
5. How does Kozol describe the situation at Asbury Park and Irvington?
6. How do the children attending public schools in the suburbs of New York that Kozol interviews feel about sharing funding and resources with children at urban public schools?
7. How are test scores in math and reading determined? How do the determination of these scores affect children in poor schools?
8. Who is Joe Clark? What role did he play in the New Jersey public school system?
9. Name three specific examples of overcrowding in New Jersey public schools.
10. Why does Kozol think that inner city problems would not be totally solved by better schools?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the urban public school systems in New York and Camden. How are these two urban school systems similar? How are they different? Please use specific examples from the book? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Why is it hard for urban public schools to retain young teachers? Where do the young teachers end up teaching? What changes should the school system to make in order to recruit and retain young teachers? Because the urban school system has many aging teachers, what future issues may arise as the teachers start to near retirement age? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Kozol focuses on state and federal regulation of schools. In what ways do the states regulate the schools? In what ways does the federal government regulate American school system? How are these responsibilities divided amongst the state and federal entities? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,229 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)