|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How low does Kozol report you can purchase a home for in North Camden?
2. How long do some of the students at Morris High School think it will be before blacks and whites work together to better public education?
3. According to the principal, how much does Woodrow Wilson spend yearly on each student?
4. What racial group makes up 92 percent of the children that attend the public schools in Washington, D.C.?
5. What type of industry was Camden famous for at one point?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kozol think that inner city problems would not be totally solved by better schools?
2. How does Kozol describe the Anacostia neighborhood where Harper and her mother live?
3. How do the suburban schools in New York compare to the urban schools in New York?
4. Where does Delabian Rice-Thurston say the rich and middle class in Washington, D.C. try to send their children to school? Why don't the poor parents send their children to the same schools?
5. How does the judge respond to the class-action suit filed by the parent's of Raymond Abbot?
6. How does Kozol describe the situation at Asbury Park and Irvington?
7. How do the children attending public schools in the suburbs of New York that Kozol interviews feel about sharing funding and resources with children at urban public schools?
8. How does the court ultimately rule in the class-action suit filed in 1981 by parents of school children in East Orange, Camden, Irvington, and Jersey City? What is the reaction of wealthier tax payers?
9. Why do public schools in certain areas of New York suffer more than others?
10. What resources do the teachers at Pyne Point Junior High lack? How do the teachers improvise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kozol focuses on state and federal regulation of schools. In what ways do the states regulate the schools? In what ways does the federal government regulate American school system? How are these responsibilities divided amongst the state and federal entities? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Kozol points out that racial discrimination is the cause of many of the inequalities that exist in the public school system. However, some of the individuals that he interviews think that it's a socioeconomic issue and not a race issue. Based on the book Savage Inequalities, are the problems that exist in urban public schools caused by racial discrimination, socioeconomic status, or both. Why? Provide at least three detailed reasons for your answer. Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
In his interviews, Kozol asks several individuals what they think is the answer to better schools. Based on the book Savage Inequalities, what are some of the ways to better schools? How can these ways be implemented in the schools/communities? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,262 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)