|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How low does Kozol report you can purchase a home for in North Camden?
2. Why does one of the psychiatrists that Kozol speaks to believe many whites think more money will not help inner city schools?
3. What is the race of the non-white children in the accelerated classes at the school in Riverdale?
4. What does the New York Times say the better public schools are intended to do?
5. Which school did President George H.W. Bush attend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tunisia, a student at Anacostia Elementary School, say that she would do if she had money? Why?
2. Where does Delabian Rice-Thurston say the rich and middle class in Washington, D.C. try to send their children to school? Why don't the poor parents send their children to the same schools?
3. What resources do the teachers at Pyne Point Junior High lack? How do the teachers improvise?
4. Why would the students at Woodrow Wilson High want to remain there rather than attending a school with better resources?
5. What problems do highly selective schools create in New York? Why do they create these problems?
6. What three Supreme Court justices wrote dissents for the Milliken v. Bradley case? Why did each dissent?
7. Describe PS 261.
8. How are test scores in math and reading determined? How do the determination of these scores affect children in poor schools?
9. Why do public schools in certain areas of New York suffer more than others?
10. Who is Joe Clark? What role did he play in the New Jersey public school system?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kozol points out that racial discrimination is the cause of many of the inequalities that exist in the public school system. However, some of the individuals that he interviews think that it's a socioeconomic issue and not a race issue. Based on the book Savage Inequalities, are the problems that exist in urban public schools caused by racial discrimination, socioeconomic status, or both. Why? Provide at least three detailed reasons for your answer. Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
According to Kozol, non-white leaders are often picked to solve local school problems. Why is it assumed that non-white leaders are the best candidate to solve the problems of local urban school systems? Who would be the best candidate(s) to solve the local school problems? Why?
Essay Topic 3
In his interviews, Kozol asks several individuals what they think is the answer to better schools. Based on the book Savage Inequalities, what are some of the ways to better schools? How can these ways be implemented in the schools/communities? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,321 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)