|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Harper's mother describe her life in an Anacostia neighborhood?
2. What issue do PS261 and PS79 share?
3. Why does one of the psychiatrists that Kozol speaks to believe many whites think more money will not help inner city schools?
4. What does Kozol say Camden's entire property wealth of $250 million is less than the value of?
5. What are test scores in math and reading in America graded against?
Essay Topic 1
The book Savage Inequalities depicts the inequalities that exist in the nation's public schools. What two problems seem to be common among the school systems that Kozol describes in the book? Describe these two problems and why they are considered problems. What suggestions would you make to improve these problems? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Kozol shows the financial differences between the amount that public urban schools spend per pupil and the amount that public suburban schools spend per pupil. Why do these differences exist? Why don't the parents of students attending poor urban schools fight the school board for school funding equal to that of the suburban public school systems? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Why is it hard for urban public schools to retain young teachers? Where do the young teachers end up teaching? What changes should the school system to make in order to recruit and retain young teachers? Because the urban school system has many aging teachers, what future issues may arise as the teachers start to near retirement age? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,476 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)