|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of the girls does the principal in Anacostia say will be pregnant by the fifth grade?
2. Who is the former principal of East Side High School that was praised by U.S. Education Secretary William Bennett?
3. What does Thurston say black people did not understand regarding their children and the public education system in Washington, D.C. and those in the surrounding suburbs?
4. How does the school administrator at Morris High School in the South Bronx encourage the supposedly slow children to express themselves?
5. According to one teacher at Camden High School, what does the high school proficiency exam control?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kozol describe the D.C. school system?
2. What problems do highly selective schools create in New York? Why do they create these problems?
3. Why would the students at Woodrow Wilson High want to remain there rather than attending a school with better resources?
4. How does the judge respond to the class-action suit filed by the parent's of Raymond Abbot?
5. How does Kozol describe the two worlds of Washington, D.C.?
6. Why do public schools in certain areas of New York suffer more than others?
7. How are test scores in math and reading determined? How do the determination of these scores affect children in poor schools?
8. How does Kozol describe the Anacostia neighborhood where Harper and her mother live?
9. Describe the Milliken v. Bradley case's appeal to Supreme Court.
10. Who is Joe Clark? What role did he play in the New Jersey public school system?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kozol refers to many major media outlets for information about public education in the urban cities. What role does the media (e.g., newspapers, magazines, TV) play in spreading information about the public school system? What information does Kozol use from the media? How does Kozol use information from the media to discuss the public school system? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the urban public school systems in New York and Camden. How are these two urban school systems similar? How are they different? Please use specific examples from the book? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Kozol get mad at business leaders who have the capability to assist poor urban public schools? What do business leaders do to contribute to the systematic problems that exist in the public school system? How do legislators contribute to the problems that exist in the public school system? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,198 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)