|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the fate of Raymond Abbot long after the court's decision is rendered?
2. What type of people does Octovia, a child at the Anacostia elementary school, say that the girls want to be like when they grow up?
3. Who is the former principal of East Side High School that was praised by U.S. Education Secretary William Bennett?
4. How much money does President H.W. Bush's alma-mater spend per student?
5. What issue do PS261 and PS79 share?
Short Essay Questions
1. Hoe does Kozol describe Camden, New Jersey?
2. How does Kozol describe the two worlds of Washington, D.C.?
3. How does Kozol describe the D.C. school system?
4. How are test scores in math and reading determined? How do the determination of these scores affect children in poor schools?
5. How do the children attending public schools in the suburbs of New York that Kozol interviews feel about sharing funding and resources with children at urban public schools?
6. Describe the Milliken v. Bradley case's appeal to Supreme Court.
7. What resources do the teachers at Pyne Point Junior High lack? How do the teachers improvise?
8. How does the judge respond to the class-action suit filed by the parent's of Raymond Abbot?
9. Describe PS 79.
10. Describe PS 261.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to Kozol, non-white leaders are often picked to solve local school problems. Why is it assumed that non-white leaders are the best candidate to solve the problems of local urban school systems? Who would be the best candidate(s) to solve the local school problems? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Chapter 6 is entitled, The Dream Deferred, Again, in San Antonio. What dream was Kozol referring to and how was it deferred again? Who or what caused the dream to be deferred? Is there any way to save the dream from being deferred? If not, how could the dream be revitalized after being deferred? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the urban public school systems in New York and Camden. How are these two urban school systems similar? How are they different? Please use specific examples from the book? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,218 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)