|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money does Kozol say is spent on each child attending a poor, non-white, public school around Chicago?
2. What is the population of the town of Sauget?
3. What types of schools does the Chicago public school system lack?
(a) Junior high schools.
(b) Early Head Start centers.
(c) High Schools.
(d) Elementary Schools.
4. In what year did Kozol set off to visit schools and speak with children about education in urban areas?
5. Why does Kozol think the most enthusiastic and skilled teachers will not be attracted to urban schools, like Mary McLeod Bethune Schools?
(a) The low salaries.
(b) Few resources.
(c) The lack of classroom autonomy.
(d) The out-of-date books.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years did Kozol spend visiting schools and speaking with children about their schools and neighborhoods?
2. Why was Kozol fired from his teaching job in the urban Boston school?
3. What are the two sources of lead in East St. Louis named in the Life on the Mississippi chapter?
4. In what year was the decision in Plessy v. Ferguson rendered?
5. What major difference did Warren Franczyk, principal at Mary McLeod Bethune School, say existed between Mary McLeod Bethune School in North Lawndale and the magnet schools that the city runs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How the suburban public schools funded compared to the urban public schools?
2. Compare Baldwin's experience teaching in the urban school district in Boston and the suburban school district west of Boston.
3. What reasons does Irl Solomon give for young teachers not staying at Martin Luther King Jr. High?
4. Describe the urban public school that Kozol taught in while in Boston.
5. What is there for residents to do in East St. Louis for fun?
6. Why does Kozol say he wrote the book Savage Inequalities?
7. How does Coral Hawkins stand out from most of the teachers Kozol meets at Mary McLeod Bethune School?
8. What type of health issues exist in East St. Louis? Why do these illnesses exist?
9. How does Kozol describe the township of Sauget?
10. What does the media, parents, and teachers think the issue is with public education?
This section contains 1,144 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)