Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Kozol, when are citizens given $400 in exchange for a release from liability?
(a) When they partake in chemical experiments at the plant.
(b) When they breath toxic emission from the chemical plants.
(c) When they are hurt while working at the chemical plant.
(d) When they are fired from the chemical plants.
2. According to Kozol, whose real names are used in the book Savage Inequalities?
(a) Religious characters.
(b) Child characters.
(c) Adult characters.
(d) Public officials.
3. In what year was the decision in Plessy v. Ferguson rendered?
4. What is the population of the town of Sauget?
5. Why does Kozol introduce his class to poetry?
(a) Because he did not have any textbooks in his classroom.
(b) To familiarize students with a different form of literature.
(c) Because he did not have any lesson plans.
(d) To reawaken the children's interest in school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the major industries in Sauget besides the chemical plants?
2. What happened to Martin Luther King, Jr.'s home in Lawndale after he moved?
3. What song does the group of children in the Villa Griffin homes say they sing after the flag pledge?
4. What years did the events in the book Savage Inequalities: Children in America's Schools take place?
5. When Kozol decides to see what's happening in America's schools, what shocked and outraged him most about the public school system?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kozol describe the D.C. school system?
2. Describe the Milliken v. Bradley case's appeal to Supreme Court.
3. How does Kozol describe East St. Louis?
4. Describe the Rodriguez class-action suit.
5. Explain the notion of a "low foundation" in regards to a Foundation Program. Explain the notion of a "minimum."
6. How do many of the children know that they are receiving an inferior education? What happens to many of the children after they realize they are receiving an inferior education?
7. How does Kozol describe the township of Sauget?
8. What resources do the teachers at Pyne Point Junior High lack? How do the teachers improvise?
9. How does Kozol describe the Anacostia neighborhood where Harper and her mother live?
10. Define the term "local control." What is the difference between local control and state control?
This section contains 1,236 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)