|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one way Kozol says children realize they are getting an inferior education?
(a) By visiting other schools.
(b) By talking to friends about schools their other family members attend.
(c) By reading stories about schools in rich neighborhoods.
(d) By watching TV and seeing how the other half live.
2. Approximately how many neighborhoods did Kozol visit?
3. How much money does Irl Soloman say he would earn by teaching one of the schools in the suburbs of St. Louis?
4. What was the poem that is memorized by the students in Kozol's class about?
(a) The public school system.
(b) Broken dreams.
(c) Ghetto life.
(d) Infant mortality.
5. How much money does Kozol say is spent on each child attending a rich, white, public school around Chicago?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the school board in Dearborn Park do that they think constitutes as making school choice equally accessible?
2. What influential African American does Kozol note was often cited when black parents or black school officials discussed educating students in the urban public school system?
3. According to Kozol, what demographic lives predominantly to the east of East St. Louis?
4. What does Kozol say lottery proceeds go towards?
5. What types of schools does the Chicago public school system lack?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare Coral Hawkins to the gospel teacher at Mary McLeod Bethune School.
2. What problems do highly selective schools create in New York? Why do they create these problems?
3. How does Kozol describe the township of Sauget?
4. Why does Kozol decide to leave teaching and focus on other social issues?
5. What reasons does Irl Solomon give for young teachers not staying at Martin Luther King Jr. High?
6. How does Kozol describe the D.C. school system?
7. Hoe does Kozol describe Camden, New Jersey?
8. How does the pre-desegregation of schools compare to the post-desegregation?
9. According to Kozol, what does the local school board control? How can the school board exercise real control over matters?
10. What three Supreme Court justices wrote dissents for the Milliken v. Bradley case? Why did each dissent?
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)