|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children did Baldwin have in his classroom while teaching in the school located in the Boston suburbs?
2. According to the 1980 census, what percentage of men and women 17 and older in North Lawndale had no jobs?
3. What years did the events in the book Savage Inequalities: Children in America's Schools take place?
4. According to Bonita Brodt, a writer for the Chicago Tribune, who is the president in the textbooks that the students are reading at Goudy Elementary School?
(a) Ronald Reagan.
(b) Richard Nixon.
(c) George H. W. Bush.
(d) John F. Kennedy.
5. How many teachers did Kozol's students in the urban Boston school have before he was assigned to teach their class?
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason did the Post-Dispatch give for the evacuation of Martin Luther King Junior High School in the early spring of 1989?
2. Why does Du Sable High School's principal have a hard time retaining young teachers at his school?
3. In what year did Kozol set off to visit schools and speak with children about education in urban areas?
4. How many years did Kozol spend visiting schools and speaking with children about their schools and neighborhoods?
5. How did Carla Hawkins, the teacher of a combination fifth and sixth grade class, acquire all the materials and resources for her class?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the pre-desegregation of schools compare to the post-desegregation?
2. How did East St. Louis become so poor?
3. Why are the major industries that dump waste into East St. Louis not taxed there?
4. Where does Kozol go on his journey to speak with students in the public school system? How does Kozol choose the schools that he visited?
5. How does Kozol describe East St. Louis?
6. Why does Kozol condemn business leaders and legislators for not improving public education?
7. Compare Baldwin's experience teaching in the urban school district in Boston and the suburban school district west of Boston.
8. How the suburban public schools funded compared to the urban public schools?
9. What problem exists at Lathrop Elementary School, and what is the source of this problem?
10. What reasons does Irl Solomon give for young teachers not staying at Martin Luther King Jr. High?
This section contains 1,224 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)