|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What influential African American does Kozol note was often cited when black parents or black school officials discussed educating students in the urban public school system?
(a) Mary McLeod Bethune.
(b) W.E.B. DuBois.
(c) Booker T. Washington.
(d) Martin Luther King, Jr.
2. What happened to Martin Luther King, Jr.'s home in Lawndale after he moved?
(a) It was sold to the city government.
(b) It was renovated by the new owner.
(c) It was bulldozed.
(d) It was declared a historical site.
3. According to Kozol, whose real names are used in the book Savage Inequalities?
(a) Public officials.
(b) Religious characters.
(c) Child characters.
(d) Adult characters.
4. How much money does Kozol say is spent on each child attending a rich, white, public school around Chicago?
5. In the chapter entitled "Life on the Mississippi," what office is described as the largest office in Illinois?
(a) The Lottery Office.
(b) The Unemployment Office.
(c) Health Services.
(d) The Welfare Office.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Kozol, when are citizens given $400 in exchange for a release from liability?
2. According to Kozol, how are East St. Louis and Lawndale similar?
3. What types of educational options had been proposed in Baltimore, Milwaukee, and Detroit?
4. According to Kozol, when visiting urban public schools who refused to take him to the neighborhoods were the schools were located?
5. What system of schools does Kozol say are highly attractive to more sophisticated parents, who are disproportionately white and middle class?
Short Essay Questions
1. What financial cuts are proposed for the schools in East St. Louis? Why do cuts have to be made to the schools in East St. Louis? Who is responsible for making the cuts?
2. Why, in most cities, do the influential people that Kozol meets show little inclination to address the segregation in the pubic school system?
3. How does the pre-desegregation of schools compare to the post-desegregation?
4. What problem exists at Lathrop Elementary School, and what is the source of this problem?
5. Compare Baldwin's experience teaching in the urban school district in Boston and the suburban school district west of Boston.
6. Why does Kozol say he wrote the book Savage Inequalities?
7. What problems exist at Martin Luther King High School in East St. Louis?
8. How does Kozol describe the neighborhoods in which the urban schools he visited were located?
9. What reasons does Irl Solomon give for young teachers not staying at Martin Luther King Jr. High?
10. How does Coral Hawkins stand out from most of the teachers Kozol meets at Mary McLeod Bethune School?
This section contains 1,121 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)