|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Kozol say is the biggest employer in East St. Louis?
(a) Public education.
(c) Pfizer Chemical Co.
(d) Drug trade.
2. What are the names of the two auto bridges that cross the Mississippi to connect East St. Louis and St. Louis?
(a) St. Louis Gateway Bridge and Malcolm X Bridge.
(b) Poplar Street Bridge and Martin Luther King Bridge.
(c) Malcolm X Bridge and Martin Luther King Bridge.
(d) Poplar Street Bridge and Mississippi River Bridge.
3. Why was Kozol fired from his teaching job in the urban Boston school?
(a) For taking students on a field trip without parental permission.
(b) For teaching poetry that was not on the approved list.
(c) For challenging the administration.
(d) For leaving students unattended.
4. What system of schools does Kozol say are highly attractive to more sophisticated parents, who are disproportionately white and middle class?
(a) The urban school system.
(b) The magnet school system.
(c) The charter school system.
(d) The suburban school system.
5. What Supreme Court decision found that segregated education was unconstitutional because it was "inherently unequal"?
(a) Briggs, et. al. v. Elliott, et. al.
(b) Plessy v. Ferguson.
(c) Brown v. Board of Education.
(d) Davis, et. al. v. County School Board of Prince Edward County, VA et al.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Kozol choose the cities that he visited?
2. According to Kozol, which buildings in East St. Louis are the nicest?
3. How did Carla Hawkins, the teacher of a combination fifth and sixth grade class, acquire all the materials and resources for her class?
4. According to Kozol, East St. Louis has one of the highest rates of which disease in America?
5. What does Sister Julia say that the nicest house in the Villa Griffin homes is used for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is there for residents to do in East St. Louis for fun?
2. How does the pre-desegregation of schools compare to the post-desegregation?
3. Compare Coral Hawkins to the gospel teacher at Mary McLeod Bethune School.
4. What does the media, parents, and teachers think the issue is with public education?
5. Compare Baldwin's experience teaching in the urban school district in Boston and the suburban school district west of Boston.
6. What problems exist at Martin Luther King High School in East St. Louis?
7. Describe the urban public school that Kozol taught in while in Boston.
8. How does Kozol describe the Lawndale neighborhood?
9. What type of health issues exist in East St. Louis? Why do these illnesses exist?
10. How does Kozol describe the neighborhoods in which the urban schools he visited were located?
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)