|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Martin Luther King, Jr. live in North Lawndale?
2. What are the names of the two auto bridges that cross the Mississippi to connect East St. Louis and St. Louis?
(a) Poplar Street Bridge and Mississippi River Bridge.
(b) Poplar Street Bridge and Martin Luther King Bridge.
(c) St. Louis Gateway Bridge and Malcolm X Bridge.
(d) Malcolm X Bridge and Martin Luther King Bridge.
3. In what month is black history celebrated in the public schools?
4. What happened to Martin Luther King, Jr.'s home in Lawndale after he moved?
(a) It was renovated by the new owner.
(b) It was sold to the city government.
(c) It was declared a historical site.
(d) It was bulldozed.
5. What major difference did Warren Franczyk, principal at Mary McLeod Bethune School, say existed between Mary McLeod Bethune School in North Lawndale and the magnet schools that the city runs?
(a) Mary McLeod Bethune is located next door to a chemical plant.
(b) The magnet school receives more funding than Mary McLeod Bethune School.
(c) The magnet schools have staff problems.
(d) The magnet schools do not have staffing problems.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Irl Soloman earn at East St. Louis High each year after teaching for nearly 30 years?
2. In what year did Kozol set off to visit schools and speak with children about education in urban areas?
3. What influential African American does Kozol note was often cited when black parents or black school officials discussed educating students in the urban public school system?
4. How much money does Kozol say is spent on each child attending a rich, white, public school around Chicago?
5. According to Reverend Jim Wolff, who moved in to North Lawndale when businesses moved out?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Coral Hawkins stand out from most of the teachers Kozol meets at Mary McLeod Bethune School?
2. Describe the urban public school that Kozol taught in while in Boston.
3. Compare the two court decisions, Brown v. Board of Education and Plessy v. Ferguson.
4. How does Kozol describe the Lawndale neighborhood?
5. What does the media, parents, and teachers think the issue is with public education?
6. Why does Kozol say he wrote the book Savage Inequalities?
7. What is there for residents to do in East St. Louis for fun?
8. How the suburban public schools funded compared to the urban public schools?
9. Why does the author think that many wealthy people think it is okay if poor children receive fewer advantages?
10. Compare Coral Hawkins to the gospel teacher at Mary McLeod Bethune School.
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)