|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Martin Luther King, Jr. live in North Lawndale?
2. In what month is black history celebrated in the public schools?
3. How many teachers did Kozol's students in the urban Boston school have before he was assigned to teach their class?
4. In what year was the decision in Plessy v. Ferguson rendered?
5. How did Carla Hawkins, the teacher of a combination fifth and sixth grade class, acquire all the materials and resources for her class?
(a) She bought them herself.
(b) Another teacher loaned them to her.
(c) The principal bought them for her.
(d) The school board provided her with funding.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the population of the town of Sauget?
2. What major difference did Warren Franczyk, principal at Mary McLeod Bethune School, say existed between Mary McLeod Bethune School in North Lawndale and the magnet schools that the city runs?
3. What religious order helps to operate a mission at the Villa Griffin homes?
4. How did Kozol choose the cities that he visited?
5. What is the racial makeup of 98 percent of the population in East St. Louis?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe PS 261.
2. Why does Kozol think that inner city problems would not be totally solved by better schools?
3. How does Kozol describe the township of Sauget?
4. How do states subvert local control? Why do states decide to subvert local control?
5. Describe the Rodriguez class-action suit.
6. What reasons does Irl Solomon give for young teachers not staying at Martin Luther King Jr. High?
7. How does Kozol describe the neighborhoods in which the urban schools he visited were located?
8. What is Proposition 13 in California? What happened after Proposition 13 was enacted?
9. Describe the Milliken v. Bradley case's appeal to Supreme Court.
10. Who is Joe Clark? What role did he play in the New Jersey public school system?
This section contains 1,232 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)