|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the press in Boston refer to troubled ghetto areas with a low infant mortality rate?
(a) Killer Zones.
(b) Death Zones.
(c) Ghetto Zones.
(d) Death Camps.
2. Why does Kozol think the most enthusiastic and skilled teachers will not be attracted to urban schools, like Mary McLeod Bethune Schools?
(a) The low salaries.
(b) The lack of classroom autonomy.
(c) The out-of-date books.
(d) Few resources.
3. According to Kozol, whose real names are used in the book Savage Inequalities?
(a) Adult characters.
(b) Child characters.
(c) Religious characters.
(d) Public officials.
4. What year did Kozol begin teaching in Boston?
5. How many children did Baldwin have in his classroom while teaching in the school located in the Boston suburbs?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Kozol say is spent on each child attending a rich, white, public school around Chicago?
2. How much money does Kozol say is spent on each child attending a poor, non-white, public school around Chicago?
3. How do the chemical plants get away with not paying taxes in East St. Louis?
4. Why does Du Sable High School's principal have a hard time retaining young teachers at his school?
5. Whose voices does Kozol say were missing from summit conferences on education, severe reports, and ominous prescriptions?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kozol describe East St. Louis?
2. Describe the urban public school that Kozol taught in while in Boston.
3. How does Coral Hawkins stand out from most of the teachers Kozol meets at Mary McLeod Bethune School?
4. Why does the author think that many wealthy people think it is okay if poor children receive fewer advantages?
5. Why, in most cities, do the influential people that Kozol meets show little inclination to address the segregation in the pubic school system?
6. Why is employment limited in East St. Louis?
7. How does Kozol describe the Lawndale neighborhood?
8. What type of health issues exist in East St. Louis? Why do these illnesses exist?
9. Compare Coral Hawkins to the gospel teacher at Mary McLeod Bethune School.
10. What reasons does Irl Solomon give for young teachers not staying at Martin Luther King Jr. High?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)