|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Sam Morgan, principal of East St. Louis High, not attend the school as a student?
(a) He lived to far way to attend the school.
(b) The school was not built when he was in high school.
(c) It was an all-white high school.
(d) He did not grow up in East St. Louis.
2. According to Kozol, what is a major problem at Lawndale Elementary School?
(a) The children do not have recess.
(b) The teachers lack adequate preperation.
(c) The facilities are old and out-of-date.
(d) The lack of quality books.
3. What court decision found that segregated institutions for black people could exist as long as they were equal to those open to white people?
(a) Plessy v. Ferguson.
(b) Brown v. Board of Education.
(c) Davis, et. al. v. County School Board of Prince Edward County, VA et al.
(d) Briggs, et. al. v. Elliott et al.
4. Who was two hours late when they came to speak at East St. Louis High?
(a) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(b) Colin Powell.
(c) Jesse Jackson.
(d) Ron Brown.
5. According to Kozol, which buildings in East St. Louis are the nicest?
(a) The Pfizer factory and City Hall.
(b) City Hall and the main police station.
(c) The federal courthouse and City Hall.
(d) The federal courthouse and the city government office building.
Short Answer Questions
1. What grade did Kozol teach while he was at the urban school in Boston?
2. According to Kozol, what demographic lives predominantly to the east of East St. Louis?
3. What are the major industries in Sauget besides the chemical plants?
4. What are the names of the two auto bridges that cross the Mississippi to connect East St. Louis and St. Louis?
5. In what year was the ruling in Brown v. Board of Education made?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kozol decide to leave teaching and focus on other social issues?
2. Compare the two court decisions, Brown v. Board of Education and Plessy v. Ferguson.
3. How does the pre-desegregation of schools compare to the post-desegregation?
4. What type of health issues exist in East St. Louis? Why do these illnesses exist?
5. Why is employment limited in East St. Louis?
6. What problems exist at Martin Luther King High School in East St. Louis?
7. What does the media, parents, and teachers think the issue is with public education?
8. Why, in most cities, do the influential people that Kozol meets show little inclination to address the segregation in the pubic school system?
9. How the suburban public schools funded compared to the urban public schools?
10. Compare Baldwin's experience teaching in the urban school district in Boston and the suburban school district west of Boston.
This section contains 1,281 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)