|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, "The Savage Inequalities of Public Education in New York,".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Kozol condemn for offering to help troubled non-white schools, but who actually intend for disadvantaged students to prepare themselves for low-quality, factory jobs?
(a) The federal government.
(b) Business leaders.
(c) City officials.
(d) Suburan school principals.
2. Why was Kozol fired from his teaching job in the urban Boston school?
(a) For leaving students unattended.
(b) For teaching poetry that was not on the approved list.
(c) For taking students on a field trip without parental permission.
(d) For challenging the administration.
3. What reason does Warren Franczyk, principal of Mary McLeod Bethune School, give for teachers losing their high school jobs in North Lawndale?
(a) The low enrollment at the schools.
(b) There is a need for more teachers at the elementary-school level.
(c) They are shutting down certain schools.
(d) They are unqualified for the jobs.
4. What does the school board in Dearborn Park do that they think constitutes as making school choice equally accessible?
(a) Give presentations about the different schools in the area.
(b) Offer the same printed materials to all parents.
(c) Send school representatives to parents homes.
(d) Invite parents to school board meetings.
5. What years did the events in the book Savage Inequalities: Children in America's Schools take place?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Kozol, when are citizens given $400 in exchange for a release from liability?
2. What reason do students give Kozol for dropping out of school in New York?
3. According to Kozol, what does the city of New York supply each ghetto school with?
4. What religious order helps to operate a mission at the Villa Griffin homes?
5. What Supreme Court decision found that segregated education was unconstitutional because it was "inherently unequal"?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)