|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, "The Equality of Innocence: Washington, D.C.,".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The history of East St. Louis shows that African Americans were lured to the city for what reason?
(a) New housing.
(b) The promise of jobs.
(c) Good schools.
(d) Low taxes.
2. What term does Harper describe as "you crawl along the street and look for rocks. You look for rocks that other people spill. You crawl along your knees..."
3. Who said that Americans allow all of their children the things they need to compete at the highest levels of success?
(a) Langston Hughes.
(b) Queen Elizabeth.
(c) Lord Acton.
(d) Martin Luther King.
4. Who does Kozol say is the biggest employer in East St. Louis?
(b) Pfizer Chemical Co.
(c) Drug trade.
(d) Public education.
5. According to Kozol, students in what racial group are more often categorized with a speech disorder?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Sam Morgan, principal of East St. Louis High, not attend the school as a student?
2. According to the Wall Street Journal, what are the two worlds of Washington, D.C.?
3. What statistic does Kozol give for the number of births in East St. Louis to single mothers?
4. Which one of the following does Kozol not mention as a place where the men in East St. Louis go when they disappear from the community?
5. What does the principal at PS79 say he will have to do if more students enroll at his school?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)