|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, "The Equality of Innocence: Washington, D.C.,".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the manual arts classes in the Riverdale school reserved for?
(a) The special education students.
(b) Truant students.
(c) Students with an interest in the manual arts.
(d) The honors students.
2. What is the racial makeup of 98 percent of the population in East St. Louis?
3. What are the major industries in Sauget besides the chemical plants?
(a) Funeral homes and car dealerships.
(b) Prison and cigarette manufacturers.
(c) Liquor stores and an outlet for the lottery.
(d) Topless joints and an outlet for the lottery.
4. Why does one of the psychiatrists that Kozol speaks to believe many whites think more money will not help inner city schools?
(a) Because they believe that poor blacks should not be allowed in white schools.
(b) Because they believe that a good education should be reserved for the rich.
(c) Because they believe non-whites are actually born inferior.
(d) Because they believe that non-whites do not deserve a better education.
5. What issue do PS261 and PS79 share?
(a) Low enrollment.
(b) Unqualified teachers.
(c) Lack of space.
(d) Lack of up-to-date resources.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was two hours late when they came to speak at East St. Louis High?
2. According to Kozol, students in what racial group are more often categorized as retarded?
3. According to Kozol, what demographic lives predominantly to the east of East St. Louis?
4. What are the two sources of lead in East St. Louis named in the Life on the Mississippi chapter?
5. What reason do students give Kozol for dropping out of school in New York?
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)