|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Aeysha turn Mirza Saeed's offer to her favor?
2. What activity is occupying Pamela's time?
3. Why does Saladin think there is no need for angels and demons?
4. What decreases along with the disappearance of Chamcha's horns and hooves?
5. Although Sufyan and Hind now live in a four-storey terraced house, what does she long for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The event of the Satanic Verses is an actual tradition of Islam. Write a paper on the probability of something like that happening. In comparison, notice how Mahound goes into a trance to quote verses to get his wife Aeysha to back off her objection to his other women. What in your opinion is Rushdie saying about where we get our religious dogmas?
Essay Topic 2
Write your opinion about the pilgrimage to Mecca. Discuss how people can be led by their hopes of something better. [You may want to compare it with Jim Jones and the Jonestown suicides]
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay expressing your opinion on Rushdie's purpose in writing THE SATANIC VERSES. Is it a rejection of Islam or all organized religion?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)