|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Hind upset at the Shaandaar Bed and Breakfast?
2. What happens to the butterflies?
3. What causes the rumor that Hind is using witchcraft?
4. What conclusion do the miners reach when the great flood comes?
5. What do the Sufyan girls think might be going on with Chamcha?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Saladin destroys the wax figures in the Hot Wax Bar, he changes back into his human form. Write an explanation of that transformation. What does it mean to you?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Rushdie's writing style and express your opinion as to its sound. Do you think he makes it sound the way people actually talk? Give examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about organized demonstrations as a means of social change. Use the demonstration on behalf of Uhura Simba and the human chain for peace as examples. Then refer to real life demonstrations that have either succeeded or failed. Some examples you might want to research and include are the demonstrations led by Gandhi in India and the American Civil Rights movement in the 1960s.
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)