|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the party, seeing London at Gibreel's feet, what happens to Chamcha?
2. What has Hal Valance done to Chamcha?
3. What becomes an obsession with Mahound at Tathrib oasis?
4. Why do the villagers not turn back as they wade deeper and deeper into the sea?
5. Why does Saladin think there is no need for angels and demons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the main themes of THE SATANIC VERSES is that of racism. Select example passages on that theme and write your opinion about the subject.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay expressing your opinion as to who the narrator of THE SATANIC VERSES is. Use specific lines from the novel to back up your contention.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on how people change as they mature and face death. Use Changez as an example and discuss the relative importance of holding onto traditions without consideration of their effects on other people. Notice how Chamcha also changes in his attitude toward his father.
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)