|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jumpy Joshi think Chamcha, now transformed with horns and goat feet, needs to begin changing back into a man?
2. How does Hind save her life?
3. What decreases along with the disappearance of Chamcha's horns and hooves?
4. What happens to the wife of Sarpanch Muhammad Din, an old woman on the march?
5. What is the meaning of Uhuru Simba's name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mahound's new religion is called Submission. The religion consists of rules and regulations. Some people, like Khalid, are very comfortable with this control while others, like Salman the scribe, cannot accept the restrictions. Only Mahound seems not to be bound by the rules. Write a paper discussing your opinion about a religion of rules and laws without compassion.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Sufyan's opinion that association with other Indians will transform Chamcha from his devilish appearance back into his former self. Does this actually happen in some way? Explain your opinion in detail.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper about the end of the novel. What do you think the ending is saying? Why does Gibreel destroy himself and allows Saladin to continue? Discuss how this fits in with Rushdie's existential philosophy. Express whether you agree or disagree.
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)