|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Angry at Saeed, Ayesha says that those who listen to the devil's verses will go to the devil. What does Mirza Saeed answer?
2. Now out of jail, what is Billy Battuta planning for Gibreel?
3. What happens when Allie Cone looks at Saladin Chamcha?
4. Where do Mishal, Hanif, and Pinkwalla take Chamcha after they leave the Hot Wax nightclub?
5. What does Jumpy Joshi think Chamcha, now transformed with horns and goat feet, needs to begin changing back into a man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper about Zeeny and Saladin Chamcha. Zeeny represents pride in her heritage while Chamcha represents ethnic self-loathing. Discuss the merits of Zeeny's attitude and how it eventually sinks in on Salahuddin. Discuss your opinion of ethnic pride and the value of maintaining cultural differences.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about organized demonstrations as a means of social change. Use the demonstration on behalf of Uhura Simba and the human chain for peace as examples. Then refer to real life demonstrations that have either succeeded or failed. Some examples you might want to research and include are the demonstrations led by Gandhi in India and the American Civil Rights movement in the 1960s.
Essay Topic 3
Take several scenes from the book like the pilgrims walking purposefully into the sea, the bloody tear from the statue of Al-Lat, the wax images in the Hot Wax Bar, and others. Then write a paper discussing Rushdie's use of symbolism, explain what the symbols are.
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)