|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pamela continue to say about Chamcha?
2. What happens to Billy Battuta and Mimi in New York?
3. What has Hind upset at the Shaandaar Bed and Breakfast?
4. The Satanic verses, multiple marriages, and either old or very young wives are all points of disagreement between what two people?
5. What was the tragedy of the flood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about organized demonstrations as a means of social change. Use the demonstration on behalf of Uhura Simba and the human chain for peace as examples. Then refer to real life demonstrations that have either succeeded or failed. Some examples you might want to research and include are the demonstrations led by Gandhi in India and the American Civil Rights movement in the 1960s.
Essay Topic 2
Write your opinion about the pilgrimage to Mecca. Discuss how people can be led by their hopes of something better. [You may want to compare it with Jim Jones and the Jonestown suicides]
Essay Topic 3
The event of the Satanic Verses is an actual tradition of Islam. Write a paper on the probability of something like that happening. In comparison, notice how Mahound goes into a trance to quote verses to get his wife Aeysha to back off her objection to his other women. What in your opinion is Rushdie saying about where we get our religious dogmas?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)