|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Chamcha's dream from the old days?
2. What emotion becomes the undoing of Gibreel's and Allie's relationship?
3. What happens to the wife of Sarpanch Muhammad Din, an old woman on the march?
4. After the girls of The Curtain are jailed, what makes the men afraid?
5. What happens when Aeysha agrees with the Imam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper discussing the similarity between the girl Aeysha and Mahound. Do you think they are mirror images? If so, what is the message Rushdie gives?
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper about the end of the novel. What do you think the ending is saying? Why does Gibreel destroy himself and allows Saladin to continue? Discuss how this fits in with Rushdie's existential philosophy. Express whether you agree or disagree.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on the conflict between religions. Al-Lat represents polytheism as opposed to the monotheism of Mahound. Although Al-Lat is defeated by Gibreel, is that only because the Imam wills it? Khalid seems to have destroyed Al-Lat, but in the end, she is still there. Discuss this conflict in detail and how it relates to the real world.
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)