|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jumpy Joshi's star pupil at the martial arts academy?
2. As Hind grows bolder, what is happening to Mahound?
3. What are Mahound's last words to Baal?
4. What becomes an obsession with Mahound at Tathrib oasis?
5. What activity is occupying Pamela's time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Saladin destroys the wax figures in the Hot Wax Bar, he changes back into his human form. Write an explanation of that transformation. What does it mean to you?
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper about the end of the novel. What do you think the ending is saying? Why does Gibreel destroy himself and allows Saladin to continue? Discuss how this fits in with Rushdie's existential philosophy. Express whether you agree or disagree.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the idea that men do not need angels and demons because they exist in human beings. Explain why you agree or disagree and give examples.
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)