|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Saladin Chamcha's reaction to waking up on the beach?
2. What does Gibreel say when he wakes up?
3. Where is Gibreel planning to go in London?
4. What is Rosa's response when Gibreel asks if she noticed Chamcha's horns?
5. why do Gibreel and Rosa go into the village to buy a cake and champagne?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain religious extremism as demonstrated by finding the abandoned baby.
2. Why is Chamcha arrested by the police and later released?
3. Who is the Aeysha of the butterflies?
4. Tell what happens when Chamcha calls Pamela.
5. Describe how Chamcha is helped to get out of the hospital.
6. How would you describe the character of Khalid, the water carrier?
7. What happens at Shepperton Studios?
8. What is the difference of opinion between Gibreel and the Imam?
9. While the pilgrims are marching to the sea, what is Mirza Saeed attempting to do?
10. After Pamela kicks him out, what kind of treatment does Jumpy receive at the Shaandaar Cafe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the idea that men do not need angels and demons because they exist in human beings. Explain why you agree or disagree and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
One of the main themes of THE SATANIC VERSES is that of racism. Select example passages on that theme and write your opinion about the subject.
Essay Topic 3
When Saladin destroys the wax figures in the Hot Wax Bar, he changes back into his human form. Write an explanation of that transformation. What does it mean to you?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)