|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the antagonist of the Imam, Mahmood?
2. What is Saladin holding up when he appears in Rosa's hallway?
3. What does the specter of Dr. Babington say as he fades into the moonlight?
4. What makes Gibreel begin speaking after pinning Mahound down?
5. Why are Mahound's followers worried after he goes to see the Grandee?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the title of Satanic Verses come from?
2. How does Mirza Saeed die?
3. Explain why the satirical character of Mahound becomes so offensive to Muslims.
4. How does Chamcha go about reclaiming his life after he returns to normal?
5. What does Zeeny Vakil represent in the novel?
6. Describe the meeting of Mr. Maslama and Gibreel on the train.
7. What had happened to Rekha?
8. While the pilgrims are marching to the sea, what is Mirza Saeed attempting to do?
9. Describe how Gibreel and Chamcha fall from the wreckage of flight AI-420.
10. Tell what happens when Chamcha calls Pamela.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mahound's new religion is called Submission. The religion consists of rules and regulations. Some people, like Khalid, are very comfortable with this control while others, like Salman the scribe, cannot accept the restrictions. Only Mahound seems not to be bound by the rules. Write a paper discussing your opinion about a religion of rules and laws without compassion.
Essay Topic 2
The event of the Satanic Verses is an actual tradition of Islam. Write a paper on the probability of something like that happening. In comparison, notice how Mahound goes into a trance to quote verses to get his wife Aeysha to back off her objection to his other women. What in your opinion is Rushdie saying about where we get our religious dogmas?
Essay Topic 3
When Saladin destroys the wax figures in the Hot Wax Bar, he changes back into his human form. Write an explanation of that transformation. What does it mean to you?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)