|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Rekha forgotten now that she is dead?
2. What is under Saladin's bowler hat?
3. What is Rosa's response when Gibreel asks if she noticed Chamcha's horns?
4. What occupation do Gibreel and Chamcha have in common?
5. What cliche does Abu Simbel believe is not true?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference of opinion between Gibreel and the Imam?
2. Detail the things about Allie Cone that make her a minor celebrity.
3. Explain how business suddenly picks up at the brothel called The Curtain.
4. What is the irony of the marriage of Chamcha and Pamela Lovelace?
5. Why has Salman defected from Mahound?
6. Why had Zeeny avoided seeing Chamcha?
7. Why does the TV show called Gardener's World attract Chamcha's attention?
8. What happens at Shepperton Studios?
9. What is the relationship between Aeysha and Mirza Saeed?
10. Tell what happens when Chamcha calls Pamela.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper comparing and contrasting Pamela Lovelace and Allie Cone. How are they similar and how do they differ? Is one more sympathetic than the other?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Sufyan's opinion that association with other Indians will transform Chamcha from his devilish appearance back into his former self. Does this actually happen in some way? Explain your opinion in detail.
Essay Topic 3
The event of the Satanic Verses is an actual tradition of Islam. Write a paper on the probability of something like that happening. In comparison, notice how Mahound goes into a trance to quote verses to get his wife Aeysha to back off her objection to his other women. What in your opinion is Rushdie saying about where we get our religious dogmas?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)