|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Gibreel begin speaking after pinning Mahound down?
2. Who thinks it is a miracle that they are alive?
3. What does Gibreel call Chamcha?
4. Where does Rosa tell Gibreel she went as a young bride?
5. Where are they as they are falling?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had happened to Rekha?
2. Why does Saladin return to India?
3. How have things changed at Scandal Point?
4. Explain religious extremism as demonstrated by finding the abandoned baby.
5. Give some information about the exiled Imam.
6. Explain why the satirical character of Mahound becomes so offensive to Muslims.
7. Where does the title of Satanic Verses come from?
8. How would you describe the character of Khalid, the water carrier?
9. Why is Gibreel unable to get away from Rosa Diamond?
10. What do Mishal and Anahita question about Chamcha's appearance?
Essay Topic 1
Write your opinion about the pilgrimage to Mecca. Discuss how people can be led by their hopes of something better. [You may want to compare it with Jim Jones and the Jonestown suicides]
Essay Topic 2
Review the legend of the walnut tree and write a paper on different cultural beliefs and practices. Include customs of your culture that may not have any meaning in another culture. Discuss the importance of different cultures understanding each other.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on the conflict between religions. Al-Lat represents polytheism as opposed to the monotheism of Mahound. Although Al-Lat is defeated by Gibreel, is that only because the Imam wills it? Khalid seems to have destroyed Al-Lat, but in the end, she is still there. Discuss this conflict in detail and how it relates to the real world.
This section contains 1,291 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)