Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Gibreel planning to go in London?
2. What does Mahound now believe about the verses accepting the goddesses?
3. Why does the Imam destroy clocks?
4. What is impossible for Gibreel and Chamcha to do, yet they do?
5. What is Rosa's response when Gibreel asks if she noticed Chamcha's horns?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mirza Saeed die?
2. What is the irony of the marriage of Chamcha and Pamela Lovelace?
3. What do the citizens of Jahilia and their religion represent in the novel?
4. Why does Gibreel want to get to London?
5. How does Chamcha react to the information that Changez has not been told that he is dying?
6. Give some information about the exiled Imam.
7. What effect does the death of Sarpanch Muhammad Din's wife have on the pilgrims?
8. How are the pilgrims finally destroyed?
9. How has Mahound become prominent in Jahilia?
10. Why is Gibreel unable to get away from Rosa Diamond?
Write a paper about Zeeny and Saladin Chamcha. Zeeny represents pride in her heritage while Chamcha represents ethnic self-loathing. Discuss the merits of Zeeny's attitude and how it eventually sinks in on Salahuddin. Discuss your opinion of ethnic pride and the value of maintaining cultural differences.
Analyze Sufyan's opinion that association with other Indians will transform Chamcha from his devilish appearance back into his former self. Does this actually happen in some way? Explain your opinion in detail.
Write your opinion about the pilgrimage to Mecca. Discuss how people can be led by their hopes of something better. [You may want to compare it with Jim Jones and the Jonestown suicides]
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)