|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hamza's objection to accepting Lat, Uzza, and Manat as equal with Allah?
2. After the phone call, who arrives at Rosa's house?
3. What blasphemous thing does Mirza say to Aeysha?
4. In his dream, what is the new name his mother gives him?
5. Seeing the image, what does Gibreel want to know from Saladin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Salman defected from Mahound?
2. What is the irony of Mahound's death?
3. Describe how Chamcha is helped to get out of the hospital.
4. Why is Gibreel unable to get away from Rosa Diamond?
5. What is the relevance of the arrest of Dr. Uhura Simba to the theme of the novel?
6. How is Baal finally recognized in spite of his dyed skin and attire like a djinn?
7. How is Chamcha bitter at his circumstances?
8. While the pilgrims are marching to the sea, what is Mirza Saeed attempting to do?
9. Explain what Hind tries to do but is prevented by Mahound.
10. Describe what Chamcha finds in the church.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper about Zeeny and Saladin Chamcha. Zeeny represents pride in her heritage while Chamcha represents ethnic self-loathing. Discuss the merits of Zeeny's attitude and how it eventually sinks in on Salahuddin. Discuss your opinion of ethnic pride and the value of maintaining cultural differences.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper about the end of the novel. What do you think the ending is saying? Why does Gibreel destroy himself and allows Saladin to continue? Discuss how this fits in with Rushdie's existential philosophy. Express whether you agree or disagree.
Essay Topic 3
The event of the Satanic Verses is an actual tradition of Islam. Write a paper on the probability of something like that happening. In comparison, notice how Mahound goes into a trance to quote verses to get his wife Aeysha to back off her objection to his other women. What in your opinion is Rushdie saying about where we get our religious dogmas?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)