|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his dream, what is the new name his mother gives him?
2. What is Saladin holding up when he appears in Rosa's hallway?
3. After a night at the Masks, where does Mahound wake up?
4. What fills the zamindar, Mirza Saeed Akhtar, with lust as he stands on the veranda of his house?
5. What difficulty does Gibreel have in getting out of Rosa's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reaction to Saladin when Sufyan brings him into the Shaandaar hotel?
2. What is the relevance of the arrest of Dr. Uhura Simba to the theme of the novel?
3. Explain why the satirical character of Mahound becomes so offensive to Muslims.
4. Explain what Gibreel sees on the way down to earth that Chamcha does not see.
5. While the pilgrims are marching to the sea, what is Mirza Saeed attempting to do?
6. What message does Aeysha give Mishal in response to Mirza Saeed's final appeal to the pilgrims?
7. How is Baal finally recognized in spite of his dyed skin and attire like a djinn?
8. How would you describe the character of Khalid, the water carrier?
9. Why has Salman defected from Mahound?
10. Detail the things about Allie Cone that make her a minor celebrity.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper discussing the similarity between the girl Aeysha and Mahound. Do you think they are mirror images? If so, what is the message Rushdie gives?
Essay Topic 2
Review the legend of the walnut tree and write a paper on different cultural beliefs and practices. Include customs of your culture that may not have any meaning in another culture. Discuss the importance of different cultures understanding each other.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper expressing your opinion about the meaning of the Archangel Gibreel only being able to do what people who call him want him to do. What is that saying about religion?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)