|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does the Archangel give Aeysha about her friend Mishal?
2. What verses does Mahound receive in meeting with Gibreel?
3. Who is the previous untouchable who guards Aeysha's hut?
4. Why do the police come for Saladin?
5. When the Imam summons Gibreel, the Archangel, where does he demand to be taken?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the physical transformation of Chamcha after he comes back to earth.
2. Detail the things about Allie Cone that make her a minor celebrity.
3. Where does the title of Satanic Verses come from?
4. Why does the TV show called Gardener's World attract Chamcha's attention?
5. Why has Salman defected from Mahound?
6. What does Zeeny Vakil represent in the novel?
7. What effect does the death of Sarpanch Muhammad Din's wife have on the pilgrims?
8. Describe how Chamcha is helped to get out of the hospital.
9. What is the importance of the wrestling match between Mahound and the Archangel Gibreel?
10. What message does Aeysha give Mishal in response to Mirza Saeed's final appeal to the pilgrims?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the main themes of THE SATANIC VERSES is that of racism. Select example passages on that theme and write your opinion about the subject.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about organized demonstrations as a means of social change. Use the demonstration on behalf of Uhura Simba and the human chain for peace as examples. Then refer to real life demonstrations that have either succeeded or failed. Some examples you might want to research and include are the demonstrations led by Gandhi in India and the American Civil Rights movement in the 1960s.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Sufyan's opinion that association with other Indians will transform Chamcha from his devilish appearance back into his former self. Does this actually happen in some way? Explain your opinion in detail.
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)