|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Rushdie compare the explosion of the jet?
2. What is beside Gibreel's ear when he wakes up on the beach?
3. What is Saladin holding up when he appears in Rosa's hallway?
4. Where is the Archangel Gibreel after all the followers of Mahound leave the city?
5. Where are Gibreel and Chamcha found?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Grandee's wife, Hind, represent?
2. How are the pilgrims finally destroyed?
3. What is the difference of opinion between Gibreel and the Imam?
4. Describe the physical transformation of Chamcha after he comes back to earth.
5. How have things changed at Scandal Point?
6. Where does the title of Satanic Verses come from?
7. While the pilgrims are marching to the sea, what is Mirza Saeed attempting to do?
8. How does Gibreel put his foot in his mouth when he speaks with Chamcha?
9. What is the thing Chamcha must do that calls him away from the human chain protest?
10. What had happened to Rekha?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Take several scenes from the book like the pilgrims walking purposefully into the sea, the bloody tear from the statue of Al-Lat, the wax images in the Hot Wax Bar, and others. Then write a paper discussing Rushdie's use of symbolism, explain what the symbols are.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper about Zeeny and Saladin Chamcha. Zeeny represents pride in her heritage while Chamcha represents ethnic self-loathing. Discuss the merits of Zeeny's attitude and how it eventually sinks in on Salahuddin. Discuss your opinion of ethnic pride and the value of maintaining cultural differences.
Essay Topic 3
One of the main themes of THE SATANIC VERSES is that of racism. Select example passages on that theme and write your opinion about the subject.
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)