|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon her return, what does Aeysha say the people of Titlipur must do?
2. What does Inspector Lime refuse to admit he saw when he looked up at Gibreel?
3. To what does Rushdie compare the explosion of the jet?
4. What does Gibreel call Chamcha?
5. What is Aeysha's affliction?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe the character of Khalid, the water carrier?
2. Where does the title of Satanic Verses come from?
3. What message does Aeysha give Mishal in response to Mirza Saeed's final appeal to the pilgrims?
4. How is Chamcha restored to his human form?
5. Describe how Chamcha is helped to get out of the hospital.
6. What had happened to Rekha?
7. How have things changed at Scandal Point?
8. Explain how business suddenly picks up at the brothel called The Curtain.
9. What do the citizens of Jahilia and their religion represent in the novel?
10. Explain why the satirical character of Mahound becomes so offensive to Muslims.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Take several scenes from the book like the pilgrims walking purposefully into the sea, the bloody tear from the statue of Al-Lat, the wax images in the Hot Wax Bar, and others. Then write a paper discussing Rushdie's use of symbolism, explain what the symbols are.
Essay Topic 2
One of the main themes of THE SATANIC VERSES is that of racism. Select example passages on that theme and write your opinion about the subject.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the idea that men do not need angels and demons because they exist in human beings. Explain why you agree or disagree and give examples.
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)