|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Gibreel's breath after he falls to earth?
2. Why are Mahound's followers worried after he goes to see the Grandee?
3. What happens when he finally calls Pamela to let her know he's alive?
4. To what does Rushdie compare the explosion of the jet?
5. What does Chamcha order Gibreel to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Chamcha bitter at his circumstances?
2. What is the irony of Mahound's death?
3. What does the Grandee's wife, Hind, represent?
4. Where are Gibreel and Allie living?
5. How would you describe the character of Khalid, the water carrier?
6. Give some information about the exiled Imam.
7. What is the difference of opinion between Gibreel and the Imam?
8. Why is Chamcha arrested by the police and later released?
9. How does Chamcha go about reclaiming his life after he returns to normal?
10. How is Baal finally recognized in spite of his dyed skin and attire like a djinn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Take several scenes from the book like the pilgrims walking purposefully into the sea, the bloody tear from the statue of Al-Lat, the wax images in the Hot Wax Bar, and others. Then write a paper discussing Rushdie's use of symbolism, explain what the symbols are.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper discussing the similarity between the girl Aeysha and Mahound. Do you think they are mirror images? If so, what is the message Rushdie gives?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the idea that men do not need angels and demons because they exist in human beings. Explain why you agree or disagree and give examples.
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)