|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when he finally calls Pamela to let her know he's alive?
2. Who tries to rationalize away the reason they come down slowly?
3. Why does Mishal spend so much time with Aeysha?
4. Why do the police come for Saladin?
5. What difficulty does Gibreel have in getting out of Rosa's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the pilgrims finally destroyed?
2. How have things changed at Scandal Point?
3. Describe the physical transformation of Chamcha after he comes back to earth.
4. What is the difference of opinion between Gibreel and the Imam?
5. What is the relevance of the arrest of Dr. Uhura Simba to the theme of the novel?
6. What does Zeeny Vakil represent in the novel?
7. Describe what Chamcha finds in the church.
8. What is the relationship between Aeysha and Mirza Saeed?
9. What had happened to Rekha?
10. What is the reaction to Saladin when Sufyan brings him into the Shaandaar hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Take several scenes from the book like the pilgrims walking purposefully into the sea, the bloody tear from the statue of Al-Lat, the wax images in the Hot Wax Bar, and others. Then write a paper discussing Rushdie's use of symbolism, explain what the symbols are.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Sufyan's opinion that association with other Indians will transform Chamcha from his devilish appearance back into his former self. Does this actually happen in some way? Explain your opinion in detail.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper expressing your opinion about the meaning of the Archangel Gibreel only being able to do what people who call him want him to do. What is that saying about religion?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)