|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hamza's objection to accepting Lat, Uzza, and Manat as equal with Allah?
2. What happens to Gibreel's breath after he falls to earth?
3. What proof do the police offer that Saladin is the man they are looking for?
4. Why do the people reject Mirza Saeed's offer to build liters for them to ride in to Mecca?
5. What is Saladin Chamcha's reaction to waking up on the beach?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gibreel want to get to London?
2. Give some information about the exiled Imam.
3. What is the irony of the marriage of Chamcha and Pamela Lovelace?
4. How does Chamcha go about reclaiming his life after he returns to normal?
5. How would you describe the character of Khalid, the water carrier?
6. Explain how business suddenly picks up at the brothel called The Curtain.
7. Explain how the floods change the mining townspeople's minds about Aeysha.
8. Why is Chamcha arrested by the police and later released?
9. Where does the title of Satanic Verses come from?
10. How are the pilgrims finally destroyed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the main themes of THE SATANIC VERSES is that of racism. Select example passages on that theme and write your opinion about the subject.
Essay Topic 2
Write your opinion about the pilgrimage to Mecca. Discuss how people can be led by their hopes of something better. [You may want to compare it with Jim Jones and the Jonestown suicides]
Essay Topic 3
Take several scenes from the book like the pilgrims walking purposefully into the sea, the bloody tear from the statue of Al-Lat, the wax images in the Hot Wax Bar, and others. Then write a paper discussing Rushdie's use of symbolism, explain what the symbols are.
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)