|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Osman make his living?
2. Where is Gibreel planning to go in London?
3. What does Gibreel feel is holding him at Rosa's house?
4. What is Khalid's explanation for the Satanic verses?
5. How does Hind taunt Mahound?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Mahound become prominent in Jahilia?
2. Explain why the satirical character of Mahound becomes so offensive to Muslims.
3. Where does the title of Satanic Verses come from?
4. Why does the TV show called Gardener's World attract Chamcha's attention?
5. Why is Gibreel unable to get away from Rosa Diamond?
6. Explain what Gibreel sees on the way down to earth that Chamcha does not see.
7. Why is Mirza Saeed so miserable?
8. Describe the physical transformation of Chamcha after he comes back to earth.
9. What had happened to Rekha?
10. Why has Salman defected from Mahound?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper about Zeeny and Saladin Chamcha. Zeeny represents pride in her heritage while Chamcha represents ethnic self-loathing. Discuss the merits of Zeeny's attitude and how it eventually sinks in on Salahuddin. Discuss your opinion of ethnic pride and the value of maintaining cultural differences.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Sufyan's opinion that association with other Indians will transform Chamcha from his devilish appearance back into his former self. Does this actually happen in some way? Explain your opinion in detail.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Rushdie's writing style and express your opinion as to its sound. Do you think he makes it sound the way people actually talk? Give examples from the novel.
This section contains 1,340 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)