|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Khalid's explanation for the Satanic verses?
2. What is the question about the type of song Gibreel sang?
3. What is Saladin Chamcha's reaction to waking up on the beach?
4. Who is the antagonist of the Imam, Mahmood?
5. What makes Gibreel begin speaking after pinning Mahound down?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give some information about the exiled Imam.
2. Explain what Gibreel sees on the way down to earth that Chamcha does not see.
3. What effect does the death of Sarpanch Muhammad Din's wife have on the pilgrims?
4. How is Baal finally recognized in spite of his dyed skin and attire like a djinn?
5. How does Chamcha react to the information that Changez has not been told that he is dying?
6. Describe the physical transformation of Chamcha after he comes back to earth.
7. While the pilgrims are marching to the sea, what is Mirza Saeed attempting to do?
8. What does the Grandee's wife, Hind, represent?
9. Describe how Chamcha is helped to get out of the hospital.
10. How is Chamcha bitter at his circumstances?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The event of the Satanic Verses is an actual tradition of Islam. Write a paper on the probability of something like that happening. In comparison, notice how Mahound goes into a trance to quote verses to get his wife Aeysha to back off her objection to his other women. What in your opinion is Rushdie saying about where we get our religious dogmas?
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper expressing your opinion about the meaning of the Archangel Gibreel only being able to do what people who call him want him to do. What is that saying about religion?
Essay Topic 3
One of the main themes of THE SATANIC VERSES is that of racism. Select example passages on that theme and write your opinion about the subject.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)