|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Saladin Chamcha's reaction to waking up on the beach?
2. Who tries to rationalize away the reason they come down slowly?
3. Who comes to Hagar to show her the waters of Zamzam?
4. Who is the antagonist of the Imam, Mahmood?
5. What does Mahound now believe about the verses accepting the goddesses?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give some information about the exiled Imam.
2. Explain what Gibreel sees on the way down to earth that Chamcha does not see.
3. Detail the things about Allie Cone that make her a minor celebrity.
4. How does Chamcha react to the information that Changez has not been told that he is dying?
5. What effect does the death of Sarpanch Muhammad Din's wife have on the pilgrims?
6. Explain how business suddenly picks up at the brothel called The Curtain.
7. What does the Grandee's wife, Hind, represent?
8. What is the difference of opinion between Gibreel and the Imam?
9. Explain why the satirical character of Mahound becomes so offensive to Muslims.
10. Where does the title of Satanic Verses come from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Rushdie's writing style and express your opinion as to its sound. Do you think he makes it sound the way people actually talk? Give examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper expressing your opinion about the meaning of the Archangel Gibreel only being able to do what people who call him want him to do. What is that saying about religion?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay expressing your opinion on Rushdie's purpose in writing THE SATANIC VERSES. Is it a rejection of Islam or all organized religion?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)