Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hamza do that causes Hind to set her mind on revenge?
2. What does Bilal, an American convert, do for the Imam?
3. How does Gibreel finally manage to pin Mahound down in the wrestling match?
4. What is Saladin holding up when he appears in Rosa's hallway?
5. What is the flight number that blows up with Gibreel and Chamcha aboard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how business suddenly picks up at the brothel called The Curtain.
2. Explain what Gibreel sees on the way down to earth that Chamcha does not see.
3. What does Zeeny Vakil represent in the novel?
4. How is Chamcha bitter at his circumstances?
5. What is the importance of the wrestling match between Mahound and the Archangel Gibreel?
6. Explain how the floods change the mining townspeople's minds about Aeysha.
7. Trapped by Rosa Diamond, what does Gibreel think is happening to him?
8. What had happened to Rekha?
9. What is the difference of opinion between Gibreel and the Imam?
10. What do the citizens of Jahilia and their religion represent in the novel?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Rushdie's writing style and express your opinion as to its sound. Do you think he makes it sound the way people actually talk? Give examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper comparing and contrasting Pamela Lovelace and Allie Cone. How are they similar and how do they differ? Is one more sympathetic than the other?
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on how people change as they mature and face death. Use Changez as an example and discuss the relative importance of holding onto traditions without consideration of their effects on other people. Notice how Chamcha also changes in his attitude toward his father.
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)