|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is under Saladin's bowler hat?
2. How does Gibreel finally manage to pin Mahound down in the wrestling match?
3. Who willed the rescue and who made it happen?
4. What does Inspector Lime refuse to admit he saw when he looked up at Gibreel?
5. Why does Mishal spend so much time with Aeysha?
Short Essay Questions
1. Detail the things about Allie Cone that make her a minor celebrity.
2. What is the irony of the marriage of Chamcha and Pamela Lovelace?
3. Why has Salman defected from Mahound?
4. Explain why the satirical character of Mahound becomes so offensive to Muslims.
5. When Mahound has conquered the city, why is Salman spared?
6. What happens at Shepperton Studios?
7. What does the Grandee's wife, Hind, represent?
8. Why is Gibreel unable to get away from Rosa Diamond?
9. Explain how business suddenly picks up at the brothel called The Curtain.
10. What message does Aeysha give Mishal in response to Mirza Saeed's final appeal to the pilgrims?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Sufyan's opinion that association with other Indians will transform Chamcha from his devilish appearance back into his former self. Does this actually happen in some way? Explain your opinion in detail.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper discussing the similarity between the girl Aeysha and Mahound. Do you think they are mirror images? If so, what is the message Rushdie gives?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay expressing your opinion on Rushdie's purpose in writing THE SATANIC VERSES. Is it a rejection of Islam or all organized religion?
This section contains 1,345 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)