|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What follows the repudiation of the goddesses?
2. Who comes to Hagar to show her the waters of Zamzam?
3. What difficulty does Gibreel have in getting out of Rosa's house?
4. What does ellowen deeowen stand for?
5. What is Saladin Chamcha's reaction to waking up on the beach?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how business suddenly picks up at the brothel called The Curtain.
2. Why is Chamcha arrested by the police and later released?
3. Who is the Aeysha of the butterflies?
4. Why does Saladin return to India?
5. How does Chamcha go about reclaiming his life after he returns to normal?
6. Tell what happens when Chamcha calls Pamela.
7. What does Zeeny Vakil represent in the novel?
8. What message does Aeysha give Mishal in response to Mirza Saeed's final appeal to the pilgrims?
9. Explain what Gibreel sees on the way down to earth that Chamcha does not see.
10. What is the reaction to Saladin when Sufyan brings him into the Shaandaar hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about organized demonstrations as a means of social change. Use the demonstration on behalf of Uhura Simba and the human chain for peace as examples. Then refer to real life demonstrations that have either succeeded or failed. Some examples you might want to research and include are the demonstrations led by Gandhi in India and the American Civil Rights movement in the 1960s.
Essay Topic 2
When Saladin destroys the wax figures in the Hot Wax Bar, he changes back into his human form. Write an explanation of that transformation. What does it mean to you?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay expressing your opinion as to who the narrator of THE SATANIC VERSES is. Use specific lines from the novel to back up your contention.
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)