Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hamza do that causes Hind to set her mind on revenge?
2. What does Bilal, an American convert, do for the Imam?
3. How does Gibreel finally manage to pin Mahound down in the wrestling match?
4. What is Saladin holding up when he appears in Rosa's hallway?
5. What is the flight number that blows up with Gibreel and Chamcha aboard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how business suddenly picks up at the brothel called The Curtain.
2. Explain what Gibreel sees on the way down to earth that Chamcha does not see.
3. What does Zeeny Vakil represent in the novel?
4. How is Chamcha bitter at his circumstances?
5. What is the importance of the wrestling match between Mahound and the Archangel Gibreel?
6. Explain how the floods change the mining townspeople's minds about Aeysha.
7. Trapped by Rosa Diamond, what does Gibreel think is happening to him?
8. What had happened to Rekha?
9. What is the difference of opinion between Gibreel and the Imam?
10. What do the citizens of Jahilia and their religion represent in the novel?
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper expressing your opinion about the meaning of the Archangel Gibreel only being able to do what people who call him want him to do. What is that saying about religion?
Essay Topic 2
Mahound's new religion is called Submission. The religion consists of rules and regulations. Some people, like Khalid, are very comfortable with this control while others, like Salman the scribe, cannot accept the restrictions. Only Mahound seems not to be bound by the rules. Write a paper discussing your opinion about a religion of rules and laws without compassion.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about organized demonstrations as a means of social change. Use the demonstration on behalf of Uhura Simba and the human chain for peace as examples. Then refer to real life demonstrations that have either succeeded or failed. Some examples you might want to research and include are the demonstrations led by Gandhi in India and the American Civil Rights movement in the 1960s.
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)