|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chamcha order Gibreel to do?
2. What does Mishal tell her husband about the girl?
3. Who tries to rationalize away the reason they come down slowly?
4. What is Rosa's response when Gibreel asks if she noticed Chamcha's horns?
5. Where does Rosa tell Gibreel she went as a young bride?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the citizens of Jahilia and their religion represent in the novel?
2. Give some information about the exiled Imam.
3. Explain religious extremism as demonstrated by finding the abandoned baby.
4. Why does the TV show called Gardener's World attract Chamcha's attention?
5. How is Baal finally recognized in spite of his dyed skin and attire like a djinn?
6. Explain how business suddenly picks up at the brothel called The Curtain.
7. Describe how Gibreel and Chamcha find themselves as they wake up on land.
8. Detail the things about Allie Cone that make her a minor celebrity.
9. Why is Mirza Saeed so miserable?
10. Explain how the floods change the mining townspeople's minds about Aeysha.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on the conflict between religions. Al-Lat represents polytheism as opposed to the monotheism of Mahound. Although Al-Lat is defeated by Gibreel, is that only because the Imam wills it? Khalid seems to have destroyed Al-Lat, but in the end, she is still there. Discuss this conflict in detail and how it relates to the real world.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Sufyan's opinion that association with other Indians will transform Chamcha from his devilish appearance back into his former self. Does this actually happen in some way? Explain your opinion in detail.
Essay Topic 3
Mahound's new religion is called Submission. The religion consists of rules and regulations. Some people, like Khalid, are very comfortable with this control while others, like Salman the scribe, cannot accept the restrictions. Only Mahound seems not to be bound by the rules. Write a paper discussing your opinion about a religion of rules and laws without compassion.
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)