|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does the Archangel give Aeysha about her friend Mishal?
2. What do Rosa and Gibreel see running down the beach at night?
3. Why does Rosa Diamond rush for her hat, cloak, and stick?
4. What does Saladin dream about in Rosa's house?
5. What proof do the police offer that Saladin is the man they are looking for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the meeting of Mr. Maslama and Gibreel on the train.
2. What happens at Shepperton Studios?
3. Trapped by Rosa Diamond, what does Gibreel think is happening to him?
4. How does Chamcha react to the information that Changez has not been told that he is dying?
5. Explain how business suddenly picks up at the brothel called The Curtain.
6. While the pilgrims are marching to the sea, what is Mirza Saeed attempting to do?
7. Why is Mrs. Hind such a bitter woman?
8. How have things changed at Scandal Point?
9. Explain what Hind tries to do but is prevented by Mahound.
10. How is Baal finally recognized in spite of his dyed skin and attire like a djinn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay expressing your opinion on Rushdie's purpose in writing THE SATANIC VERSES. Is it a rejection of Islam or all organized religion?
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on the conflict between religions. Al-Lat represents polytheism as opposed to the monotheism of Mahound. Although Al-Lat is defeated by Gibreel, is that only because the Imam wills it? Khalid seems to have destroyed Al-Lat, but in the end, she is still there. Discuss this conflict in detail and how it relates to the real world.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper about the end of the novel. What do you think the ending is saying? Why does Gibreel destroy himself and allows Saladin to continue? Discuss how this fits in with Rushdie's existential philosophy. Express whether you agree or disagree.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)