|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the flight number that blows up with Gibreel and Chamcha aboard?
2. What is Saladin Chamcha's reaction to waking up on the beach?
3. What does Gibreel feel is holding him at Rosa's house?
4. How does Hind say he got there?
5. What does Hamza do that causes Hind to set her mind on revenge?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chamcha react to the information that Changez has not been told that he is dying?
2. After Pamela kicks him out, what kind of treatment does Jumpy receive at the Shaandaar Cafe?
3. How would you describe the character of Khalid, the water carrier?
4. How does Chamcha go about reclaiming his life after he returns to normal?
5. What is the thing Chamcha must do that calls him away from the human chain protest?
6. What does Zeeny Vakil represent in the novel?
7. Detail the things about Allie Cone that make her a minor celebrity.
8. Describe the physical transformation of Chamcha after he comes back to earth.
9. What is the relevance of the arrest of Dr. Uhura Simba to the theme of the novel?
10. Where does the title of Satanic Verses come from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about organized demonstrations as a means of social change. Use the demonstration on behalf of Uhura Simba and the human chain for peace as examples. Then refer to real life demonstrations that have either succeeded or failed. Some examples you might want to research and include are the demonstrations led by Gandhi in India and the American Civil Rights movement in the 1960s.
Essay Topic 2
The event of the Satanic Verses is an actual tradition of Islam. Write a paper on the probability of something like that happening. In comparison, notice how Mahound goes into a trance to quote verses to get his wife Aeysha to back off her objection to his other women. What in your opinion is Rushdie saying about where we get our religious dogmas?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay expressing your opinion on Rushdie's purpose in writing THE SATANIC VERSES. Is it a rejection of Islam or all organized religion?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)