|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the police come for Saladin?
2. What does Mahound now believe about the verses accepting the goddesses?
3. Who does Saladin think the old woman with the cane is?
4. What difficulty does Gibreel have in getting out of Rosa's house?
5. Why are Mahound's followers worried after he goes to see the Grandee?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tell what happens when Chamcha calls Pamela.
2. What does the Grandee's wife, Hind, represent?
3. Describe how Gibreel and Chamcha fall from the wreckage of flight AI-420.
4. Trapped by Rosa Diamond, what does Gibreel think is happening to him?
5. Describe how Chamcha is helped to get out of the hospital.
6. How are the pilgrims finally destroyed?
7. Explain how the floods change the mining townspeople's minds about Aeysha.
8. How have things changed at Scandal Point?
9. Explain how Baal, the satirical poet, realizes that Mahound is returning to Jahilia.
10. What is the difference of opinion between Gibreel and the Imam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write your opinion about the pilgrimage to Mecca. Discuss how people can be led by their hopes of something better. [You may want to compare it with Jim Jones and the Jonestown suicides]
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay expressing your opinion as to who the narrator of THE SATANIC VERSES is. Use specific lines from the novel to back up your contention.
Essay Topic 3
Mahound's new religion is called Submission. The religion consists of rules and regulations. Some people, like Khalid, are very comfortable with this control while others, like Salman the scribe, cannot accept the restrictions. Only Mahound seems not to be bound by the rules. Write a paper discussing your opinion about a religion of rules and laws without compassion.
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)