|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hind say he got there?
2. What follows the repudiation of the goddesses?
3. What is the flight number that blows up with Gibreel and Chamcha aboard?
4. What is Aeysha's affliction?
5. What is Gibreel doing that slows down their descent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the citizens of Jahilia and their religion represent in the novel?
2. Where does the title of Satanic Verses come from?
3. Why is Mrs. Hind such a bitter woman?
4. Where are Gibreel and Allie living?
5. What is the importance of the wrestling match between Mahound and the Archangel Gibreel?
6. Explain what Gibreel sees on the way down to earth that Chamcha does not see.
7. How have things changed at Scandal Point?
8. What message does Aeysha give Mishal in response to Mirza Saeed's final appeal to the pilgrims?
9. What is the relationship between Aeysha and Mirza Saeed?
10. What had happened to Rekha?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Review the legend of the walnut tree and write a paper on different cultural beliefs and practices. Include customs of your culture that may not have any meaning in another culture. Discuss the importance of different cultures understanding each other.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper about the end of the novel. What do you think the ending is saying? Why does Gibreel destroy himself and allows Saladin to continue? Discuss how this fits in with Rushdie's existential philosophy. Express whether you agree or disagree.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper discussing the similarity between the girl Aeysha and Mahound. Do you think they are mirror images? If so, what is the message Rushdie gives?
This section contains 1,326 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)