Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hamza do that causes Hind to set her mind on revenge?
2. What does Bilal, an American convert, do for the Imam?
3. How does Gibreel finally manage to pin Mahound down in the wrestling match?
4. What is Saladin holding up when he appears in Rosa's hallway?
5. What is the flight number that blows up with Gibreel and Chamcha aboard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how business suddenly picks up at the brothel called The Curtain.
2. Explain what Gibreel sees on the way down to earth that Chamcha does not see.
3. What does Zeeny Vakil represent in the novel?
4. How is Chamcha bitter at his circumstances?
5. What is the importance of the wrestling match between Mahound and the Archangel Gibreel?
6. Explain how the floods change the mining townspeople's minds about Aeysha.
7. Trapped by Rosa Diamond, what does Gibreel think is happening to him?
8. What had happened to Rekha?
9. What is the difference of opinion between Gibreel and the Imam?
10. What do the citizens of Jahilia and their religion represent in the novel?
Review the legend of the walnut tree and write a paper on different cultural beliefs and practices. Include customs of your culture that may not have any meaning in another culture. Discuss the importance of different cultures understanding each other.
Write an essay expressing your opinion as to who the narrator of THE SATANIC VERSES is. Use specific lines from the novel to back up your contention.
Write a paper about Zeeny and Saladin Chamcha. Zeeny represents pride in her heritage while Chamcha represents ethnic self-loathing. Discuss the merits of Zeeny's attitude and how it eventually sinks in on Salahuddin. Discuss your opinion of ethnic pride and the value of maintaining cultural differences.
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)