|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What follows the repudiation of the goddesses?
(a) A blood bath that kills all of Mahound's followers
(b) Hamza is arrested and stoned to death.
(c) Hind forgives him and takes him to her bed.
(d) A policy of persecution against Mahound's followers
2. What fills the zamindar, Mirza Saeed Akhtar, with lust as he stands on the veranda of his house?
(a) His wife, Mishal, taking her morning bath in the fountain
(b) The Empress Hind doing a sensual dance
(c) The ghost of Rekha dancing on his lawn
(d) A girl who is eating on his lawn and attracting the chameleon butterflies
3. Why do the police come for Saladin?
(a) Gibreel had called them to come get him.
(b) They are looking for the devil and think Saladin might be him.
(c) Someone had reported a strange looking man on the beach.
(d) The airline wanted to interrogate him about the explosion.
4. Who does Gibreel see on his way down to earth?
(a) God looking down from Heaven
(b) His step mother on a broomstick
(c) Allileua Cone in a balloon
(d) Rekha Merchant on a flying carpet
5. What does Bilal, an American convert, do for the Imam?
(a) He provides water for the Imam.
(b) He writes satires for the Imam.
(c) He guards the Imam's door.
(d) He sings the Imam's songs on his radio broadcast.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Imam destroy clocks?
2. Who is the previous untouchable who guards Aeysha's hut?
3. Who is the antagonist of the Imam, Mahmood?
4. How does Gibreel finally manage to pin Mahound down in the wrestling match?
5. What is Gibreel doing as he falls through the air?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the Aeysha of the butterflies?
2. What message does Aeysha give Mishal in response to Mirza Saeed's final appeal to the pilgrims?
3. Describe what Chamcha finds in the church.
4. How does Chamcha go about reclaiming his life after he returns to normal?
5. Describe the meeting of Mr. Maslama and Gibreel on the train.
6. Explain why the satirical character of Mahound becomes so offensive to Muslims.
7. How have things changed at Scandal Point?
8. What is the relevance of the arrest of Dr. Uhura Simba to the theme of the novel?
9. Why has Salman defected from Mahound?
10. Explain how the floods change the mining townspeople's minds about Aeysha.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)