|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abu Simbel want from Mahound?
(a) That Allah recognize Lat, Uzza, and Manat as gods
(b) That Mahound will bring his angel to the city
(c) That Mahound will recant his beliefs
(d) That Mahound will leave Jahilia and teach somewhere else
2. After the phone call, who arrives at Rosa's house?
(a) The airline representative comes to interview Rosa.
(b) The TV stations send out their camera crews.
(c) The police come to arrest Saladin.
(d) The mayor of London comes to see Gibreel.
3. What mischievous thing is Gibreel doing in his dream?
(a) Drawing graffiti on the walls
(b) Throwing water on passing strangers
(c) Putting Muslim meat in Hindu tiffins
(d) Inviting untouchables to dinner
4. What fills the zamindar, Mirza Saeed Akhtar, with lust as he stands on the veranda of his house?
(a) The ghost of Rekha dancing on his lawn
(b) His wife, Mishal, taking her morning bath in the fountain
(c) The Empress Hind doing a sensual dance
(d) A girl who is eating on his lawn and attracting the chameleon butterflies
5. Where does Rosa tell Gibreel she went as a young bride?
(b) The Caribbean
Short Answer Questions
1. What is under Saladin's bowler hat?
2. What happens to Gibreel's breath after he falls to earth?
3. What does Mahound now believe about the verses accepting the goddesses?
4. Who does Saladin think the old woman with the cane is?
5. What happens between Rosa and Gibreel in a dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Mahound become prominent in Jahilia?
2. Describe the physical transformation of Chamcha after he comes back to earth.
3. Where does the title of Satanic Verses come from?
4. What message does Aeysha give Mishal in response to Mirza Saeed's final appeal to the pilgrims?
5. How does Gibreel put his foot in his mouth when he speaks with Chamcha?
6. What is the relationship between Aeysha and Mirza Saeed?
7. Explain how Baal, the satirical poet, realizes that Mahound is returning to Jahilia.
8. What do Mishal and Anahita question about Chamcha's appearance?
9. What is the importance of the wrestling match between Mahound and the Archangel Gibreel?
10. How is Chamcha bitter at his circumstances?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)