|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the villagers not turn back as they wade deeper and deeper into the sea?
(a) They have all been hypnotized by the angel.
(b) They have been drugged by Aeysha.
(c) They are too proud to return to scorn.
(d) They think that only the open believers will not be harmed by the water.
2. As Hind grows bolder, what is happening to Mahound?
(a) He is dying of a fatal sickness.
(b) He is planning a trip to Jerusalem.
(c) He is visiting Gibreel every day.
(d) He is preparing to invade Egypt.
3. What do the Sufyan girls think might be going on with Chamcha?
(a) They think he is projecting an image onto their minds.
(b) They think he just has a hysterical deformity which will go away.
(c) Because he is an actor, they think his appearance may just be makeup.
(d) They think he will return to normal in the south of France.
4. Who recognizes Aeysha in the village of Chatnapatna?
(a) The Station Head Officer
(b) Mrs. Qureishi
(d) The Vishna Hindu Parishad
5. What activity is occupying Pamela's time?
(a) Investigating allegations of witchcraft among the police.
(b) Writing a novel about her experience with Chamcha.
(c) Holding seances to speak with the dea.
(d) Learning to climb mountains.
6. What halts progress on Gibreel's film?
(a) Billy cannot raise the money.
(b) There is a fire on the sound stage.
(c) The script is rejected and they have to start over.
(d) Billy and Mimi are arrested again in New York.
7. After the girls of The Curtain are jailed, what makes the men afraid?
(a) They had sworn an oath that they never went to The Curtain.
(b) They had violated the laws of segregation of the sexes.
(c) They all knew the names of the girls.
(d) They do not know what may come into Mahound's mind.
8. What does the Imam say about the foundling baby?
(a) It is the Devil's child.
(b) It is innocent of any sin.
(c) It has strange markings on it.
(d) It is just a baby.
9. What does Jumpy Joshi think Chamcha, now transformed with horns and goat feet, needs to begin changing back into a man?
(a) A new love interest
(b) To find Gibreel and ask him to help
(c) A new tailor
(d) A hot bowl of soup
10. What does Mahound learn just before he dies?
(a) Gibreel is really an actor.
(b) Hind committed suicide.
(c) Khalid poisoned him.
(d) Al-Lat caused his sickness.
11. What does Anahita call her parents' native land?
(a) Hindu Hills
(b) Scandal Point
12. What does Chamcha do in his apartment?
(a) Make phone calls.
(b) Watch TV.
(c) Break up the furniture.
(d) Kill Pamela.
13. How does Chamcha appear as he stands among the wreckage of the Hot Wax nightclub?
(a) His face is all black.
(b) He is back to normal.
(c) His goat feet are bigger than ever.
(d) His horns have growqn three feet.
14. Although Sufyan and Hind now live in a four-storey terraced house, what does she long for?
(a) The humble teacher's flat in Dhaka.
(b) A smaller house, easier to keep clean.
(c) The village life in Bangladesh.
(d) A cottage in Ireland.
15. What assurance does Jumpy need to go into Pamela's bedroom?
(a) Permission from Chamcha
(b) That Chamcha will not see him
(c) That Chamcha is out of town
(d) A copy of Pamela's divorce papers
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jumpy Joshi's star pupil at the martial arts academy?
2. How does business suddenly boom at The Curtain?
3. Who hits Jumpy over the head with an oar?
4. What does the Grandee do when Mahound and his followers arrive?
5. What has Hind upset at the Shaandaar Bed and Breakfast?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)