|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What activity is occupying Pamela's time?
(a) Writing a novel about her experience with Chamcha.
(b) Investigating allegations of witchcraft among the police.
(c) Learning to climb mountains.
(d) Holding seances to speak with the dea.
2. What makes Saladin's return to his past life difficult?
(d) Red tape
3. What two women begin to haunt Saladin's dreams?
(a) Pamela and Hind
(b) Ussa and Manat
(c) Anahita and Nasreen
(d) Mishal Sufyan and Zeeny Vakil
4. What does Alicja Cone say to Allie about Gibreel?
(a) He will be too famous.
(b) He is a con artist.
(c) He is not in your league.
(d) He probably never made a movie.
5. How does Mirza Saeed meet his death?
(a) He is killed by the villagers who remained in Titlipur.
(b) He dies of starvation at home, dreaming of going under the sea.
(c) He suffers a fatal heart attack on the long trip back to Titilipur.
(d) He commits suicide after returning to an empty house.
6. As Hind grows bolder, what is happening to Mahound?
(a) He is dying of a fatal sickness.
(b) He is planning a trip to Jerusalem.
(c) He is preparing to invade Egypt.
(d) He is visiting Gibreel every day.
7. How does Salman test Mahound?
(a) He slips pork into Mahound's beef stew but nothing happens.
(b) He puts meaningless words into the writing and Mahound thinks Gibreel put them there.
(c) He makes up new rules, writes them down, and Mahound thinks he did it himself.
(d) He alters the words Mahound gives him to write, but Mahound never notices.
8. What happens before Mahound will enter Jahilia?
(a) The Grandee is put to the sword.
(b) The water well is purified.
(c) Khalid destroys the pagan temples.
(d) Hind comes begging for mercy.
9. How is Baal disguised by the madam of The Curtain brothel?
(a) He is dressed as a woman.
(b) He is plastered to look like a leper.
(c) He is painted white and stands like a statue.
(d) His skin and hair are dyed blue black like a djinn.
10. Why do the villagers not turn back as they wade deeper and deeper into the sea?
(a) They have been drugged by Aeysha.
(b) They think that only the open believers will not be harmed by the water.
(c) They have all been hypnotized by the angel.
(d) They are too proud to return to scorn.
11. What does Mr. Qureishi offer his daughter, Mishal?
(a) To send for a doctor
(b) To allow her to continue her march
(c) To fly her to Mecca
(d) To carry her on his back
12. On the radio in a taxi, who does Saladin hear speaking?
(a) Gibreel Farishta
(b) Allie Cone
(c) Winston churchill
(d) Eugene Dumsday
13. What is Chamcha's dream from the old days?
(a) Marrying a princess.
(b) Teaching his son to ride a bicycle.
(c) Living in an ivory palace.
(d) Learning how to play the sitar.
14. Although Sufyan and Hind now live in a four-storey terraced house, what does she long for?
(a) A cottage in Ireland.
(b) A smaller house, easier to keep clean.
(c) The village life in Bangladesh.
(d) The humble teacher's flat in Dhaka.
15. What does Srinivas, the toy merchant, see coming toward him?
(a) The villagers of Titlipur on their pilgrimage
(b) The Archangel Gibreel
(c) Rosa Diamond leading a parade of elephants
(d) A delegation from Mecca
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Hal Valance done to Chamcha?
2. How does business suddenly boom at The Curtain?
3. Why is Dr. Simba arrested?
4. Who throws a party on a giant sound stage at Shepperton Studios?
5. What halts progress on Gibreel's film?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)