|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who finally recognizes Baal at The Curtain?
(a) Abu Simbel
2. At the party, seeing London at Gibreel's feet, what happens to Chamcha?
(a) He begins to feel ill.
(b) He is happy for his fellow Indian.
(c) He gets lost in the crowd.
(d) He feels the return of hate.
3. Angry at Saeed, Ayesha says that those who listen to the devil's verses will go to the devil. What does Mirza Saeed answer?
(a) It is a choice between the devil and the deep blue sea.
(b) Those who live by the sword will die by the sword.
(c) How do we know you're not the devil?
(d) At least with the devil, you're dry.
4. What happens when Allie Cone looks at Saladin Chamcha?
(a) He sees that she is exactly like Pamela.
(b) He feels his hate for Gibreel transfer onto her.
(c) He falls madly in love with her.
(d) There is instant sexual tension.
5. What activity is occupying Pamela's time?
(a) Learning to climb mountains.
(b) Holding seances to speak with the dea.
(c) Investigating allegations of witchcraft among the police.
(d) Writing a novel about her experience with Chamcha.
6. What happens to Billy Battuta and Mimi in New York?
(a) They are arrested for passing a bad check.
(b) They are suspected of being terrorists.
(c) They are denied a visa.
(d) The are accused of spying by the FBI.
7. In his dream, what do the look-alike Hyacinths call Chamcha?
(a) An archangel
(b) A grade B actor
(c) Satan, the Goat
(d) An imposter
8. What has Hind upset at the Shaandaar Bed and Breakfast?
(a) She catches her husband with Mimi.
(b) She learns that chamcha has lost his job.
(c) She hears Chamcha clomping around on his goat feet.
(d) She sees Hanif Johnson coming out of her daughter's, Mishal's, room.
9. What does the Grandee do when Mahound and his followers arrive?
(a) He falls on his own sword and dies.
(b) He runs away to live in exile.
(c) He surrenders the city and embrases the faith.
(d) He hides under Hind's bed.
10. What spiteful thing does Saladin begin doing to Gibreel and Allie?
(a) Putting false insormation about them in the newspapers.
(b) Calling during the night but not saying anything.
(c) Making anonymous calls suggesting that Allie is having an affair.
(d) Letting the air out of their tires.
11. What was the tragedy of the flood?
(a) Most of the children had drowned.
(b) The crops were all destroyed.
(c) Fifteen thousand miners were buried alive in the mines.
(d) All the houses were flattened.
12. What causes the rumor that Hind is using witchcraft?
(a) She starts collecting brooms and caldrons.
(b) She does not appear to age.
(c) She dresses all in black.
(d) She is always accompanied by a black cat.
13. What has Hal Valance done to Chamcha?
(a) Turned him in to the police.
(b) Stolen his money.
(c) Fired him.
(d) Made love to Pamela, Chamcha's wife.
14. Where do Mishal, Hanif, and Pinkwalla take Chamcha after they leave the Hot Wax nightclub?
(a) To the bank.
(b) To the movie studio.
(c) To his former home.
(d) To Buckingham Palace.
15. What decreases along with the disappearance of Chamcha's horns and hooves?
(a) His singing.
(b) His animosity toward Gibreel.
(c) His dreams.
(d) His desires.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mahound's Aeysha becomes jealous of his dalliances, what does he do?
2. Why do the villagers not turn back as they wade deeper and deeper into the sea?
3. What happens before Mahound will enter Jahilia?
4. What is Hind doing for two years after her seclusion?
5. What does Jumpy Joshi think Chamcha, now transformed with horns and goat feet, needs to begin changing back into a man?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)