|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pamela continue to say about Chamcha?
(a) He doesn't exist, such things are not so.
(b) I have his death certificate in my hand.
(c) He is too ugly to be my husband.
(d) Everyone is having halucinations.
2. When Mahound's Aeysha becomes jealous of his dalliances, what does he do?
(a) He threatens to have her sent to work at The Curtain.
(b) He goes into a trance and quotes the Archangel giving him orders to have many women.
(c) He tells her the lies whe wants to hear.
(d) He makes her walk naked through the city.
3. What two women begin to haunt Saladin's dreams?
(a) Mishal Sufyan and Zeeny Vakil
(b) Pamela and Hind
(c) Ussa and Manat
(d) Anahita and Nasreen
4. What emotion becomes the undoing of Gibreel's and Allie's relationship?
(a) Gibreel's passion for cooking
(b) Allie's love of mountain climbing
(c) Gibreel's unjustified jealousy
(d) Allie's desire for excellence
5. How does Chamcha appear as he stands among the wreckage of the Hot Wax nightclub?
(a) He is back to normal.
(b) His horns have growqn three feet.
(c) His face is all black.
(d) His goat feet are bigger than ever.
6. What happens when Aeysha agrees with the Imam?
(a) The baby is stoned to death.
(b) Mishal asks for the baby.
(c) Mirza Saeed snatches the baby out of the Iman's arms.
(d) The people turn against the Imam and Aeysha.
7. The Satanic verses, multiple marriages, and either old or very young wives are all points of disagreement between what two people?
(a) Gibreel and Saladin
(b) Pamela and Allie
(c) Baal and Hind
(d) Salman and Mahound
8. What spiteful thing does Saladin begin doing to Gibreel and Allie?
(a) Letting the air out of their tires.
(b) Calling during the night but not saying anything.
(c) Putting false insormation about them in the newspapers.
(d) Making anonymous calls suggesting that Allie is having an affair.
9. What does Jumpy Joshi think Chamcha, now transformed with horns and goat feet, needs to begin changing back into a man?
(a) A new tailor
(b) To find Gibreel and ask him to help
(c) A new love interest
(d) A hot bowl of soup
10. Who throws a party on a giant sound stage at Shepperton Studios?
(a) S. S. Sisodia
(b) Eugene Dumsday
(c) Gibreel Farishta
(d) Pamela Lovelace
11. What do the Sufyan girls think might be going on with Chamcha?
(a) They think he just has a hysterical deformity which will go away.
(b) Because he is an actor, they think his appearance may just be makeup.
(c) They think he is projecting an image onto their minds.
(d) They think he will return to normal in the south of France.
12. What must happen before a Prophet can die?
(a) He must pass though the fires of hell.
(b) He must be shown Paradise and make a choice of heaven or longer life.
(c) He must be purified with clean water and dressed in white linen.
(d) He must sit facing the east and wait for death to come.
13. What was the tragedy of the flood?
(a) Most of the children had drowned.
(b) Fifteen thousand miners were buried alive in the mines.
(c) The crops were all destroyed.
(d) All the houses were flattened.
14. How does business suddenly boom at The Curtain?
(a) former priestesses of Al-Lat come to join the whores of The Curtain.
(b) The twelve whores assume the names of Mahound's twelve wives.
(c) Hind takes over the operation and brings in new girls.
(d) Mahound takes to coming there every day with his closest friends.
15. What happens to the wife of Sarpanch Muhammad Din, an old woman on the march?
(a) She kisses Gibreel.
(b) She becomes young again.
(c) She starts collecting butterflies.
(d) She dies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Saladin think there is no need for angels and demons?
2. What does Anahita call her parents' native land?
3. After the girls of The Curtain are jailed, what makes the men afraid?
4. How does Anahita Sufyan apologize for calling Chamcha a freak?
5. What does Chamcha do in his apartment?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)