|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does business suddenly boom at The Curtain?
(a) Mahound takes to coming there every day with his closest friends.
(b) Hind takes over the operation and brings in new girls.
(c) The twelve whores assume the names of Mahound's twelve wives.
(d) former priestesses of Al-Lat come to join the whores of The Curtain.
2. What two women begin to haunt Saladin's dreams?
(a) Pamela and Hind
(b) Anahita and Nasreen
(c) Mishal Sufyan and Zeeny Vakil
(d) Ussa and Manat
3. What does Srinivas, the toy merchant, see coming toward him?
(a) Rosa Diamond leading a parade of elephants
(b) The villagers of Titlipur on their pilgrimage
(c) The Archangel Gibreel
(d) A delegation from Mecca
4. Who hits Jumpy over the head with an oar?
5. What was the tragedy of the flood?
(a) Most of the children had drowned.
(b) The crops were all destroyed.
(c) All the houses were flattened.
(d) Fifteen thousand miners were buried alive in the mines.
6. What causes the rumor that Hind is using witchcraft?
(a) She is always accompanied by a black cat.
(b) She does not appear to age.
(c) She dresses all in black.
(d) She starts collecting brooms and caldrons.
7. What does Mahound learn just before he dies?
(a) Hind committed suicide.
(b) Al-Lat caused his sickness.
(c) Gibreel is really an actor.
(d) Khalid poisoned him.
8. What happens to the wife of Sarpanch Muhammad Din, an old woman on the march?
(a) She becomes young again.
(b) She dies.
(c) She starts collecting butterflies.
(d) She kisses Gibreel.
9. What does Gibreel shout out in John Maslama's music store?
(a) I am the Defender of the Faith!
(b) I am the voice of the Prophet!
(c) I am the right hand of God!
(d) I am the Angel of Death!
10. What halts progress on Gibreel's film?
(a) The script is rejected and they have to start over.
(b) There is a fire on the sound stage.
(c) Billy cannot raise the money.
(d) Billy and Mimi are arrested again in New York.
11. After the girls of The Curtain are jailed, what makes the men afraid?
(a) They had violated the laws of segregation of the sexes.
(b) They do not know what may come into Mahound's mind.
(c) They had sworn an oath that they never went to The Curtain.
(d) They all knew the names of the girls.
12. What has Hind upset at the Shaandaar Bed and Breakfast?
(a) She sees Hanif Johnson coming out of her daughter's, Mishal's, room.
(b) She learns that chamcha has lost his job.
(c) She hears Chamcha clomping around on his goat feet.
(d) She catches her husband with Mimi.
13. What happens as Aeysha walks toward the protesters trying to stop the pilgrims?
(a) Aeysha grows as tall as a tree.
(b) It comes a downpour of rain.
(c) Lightning strikes the protest leader.
(d) Someone throws a stone at Aeysha.
14. What does Jumpy Joshi think Chamcha, now transformed with horns and goat feet, needs to begin changing back into a man?
(a) A new tailor
(b) To find Gibreel and ask him to help
(c) A hot bowl of soup
(d) A new love interest
15. What does the Grandee do when Mahound and his followers arrive?
(a) He hides under Hind's bed.
(b) He falls on his own sword and dies.
(c) He surrenders the city and embrases the faith.
(d) He runs away to live in exile.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Billy Battuta and Mimi in New York?
2. What happens when Allie Cone looks at Saladin Chamcha?
3. How does Aeysha turn Mirza Saeed's offer to her favor?
4. As Hind grows bolder, what is happening to Mahound?
5. What does Chamcha do in his apartment?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)