|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What offer does Mirza Saeed make Aeysha as the people turn against her?
(a) To build her a new mosque in Titlipur.
(b) To fly twenve of the pilgrims to Mecca.
(c) To bring in doctors to help the sick.
(d) To order boats to take them across the sea.
2. About what does Sufyan's wife, Hind, assume that her husband agrees with her?
(a) That Chamcha is a freak
(b) That sex is a dirty business
(c) That Chamcha is Shaitan himself
(d) That their daughters should not see Chamcha
3. How does Hind save her life?
(a) Veiled, she kisses Mahound's foot and says the words of Submission.
(b) She becomes Mahound's wife.
(c) She disguises herself as a peasant.
(d) He agrees to have Mahound sleep in her bed.
4. What two women begin to haunt Saladin's dreams?
(a) Ussa and Manat
(b) Anahita and Nasreen
(c) Mishal Sufyan and Zeeny Vakil
(d) Pamela and Hind
5. Who finally recognizes Baal at The Curtain?
(a) Abu Simbel
6. The Satanic verses, multiple marriages, and either old or very young wives are all points of disagreement between what two people?
(a) Gibreel and Saladin
(b) Baal and Hind
(c) Salman and Mahound
(d) Pamela and Allie
7. What is Hind doing for two years after her seclusion?
(a) Memorizing the Quran
(b) Planning her escape to Egypt
(c) Writing books for women
(d) Studying occult books
8. Who hits Jumpy over the head with an oar?
9. What happens as Aeysha walks toward the protesters trying to stop the pilgrims?
(a) It comes a downpour of rain.
(b) Someone throws a stone at Aeysha.
(c) Lightning strikes the protest leader.
(d) Aeysha grows as tall as a tree.
10. What activity is occupying Pamela's time?
(a) Learning to climb mountains.
(b) Holding seances to speak with the dea.
(c) Writing a novel about her experience with Chamcha.
(d) Investigating allegations of witchcraft among the police.
11. What does Srinivas realize about Aeysha?
(a) She cannot possibly be wrong.
(b) She can only sleep under a blanket of butterflies.
(c) She is connected to the Archangel Gibreel.
(d) She has the same face as the goddess Lakshmi.
12. Who recognizes Aeysha in the village of Chatnapatna?
(a) The Vishna Hindu Parishad
(c) Mrs. Qureishi
(d) The Station Head Officer
13. After the girls of The Curtain are jailed, what makes the men afraid?
(a) They do not know what may come into Mahound's mind.
(b) They all knew the names of the girls.
(c) They had violated the laws of segregation of the sexes.
(d) They had sworn an oath that they never went to The Curtain.
14. What does the Grandee do when Mahound and his followers arrive?
(a) He hides under Hind's bed.
(b) He surrenders the city and embrases the faith.
(c) He falls on his own sword and dies.
(d) He runs away to live in exile.
15. How does Mirza Saeed meet his death?
(a) He suffers a fatal heart attack on the long trip back to Titilipur.
(b) He commits suicide after returning to an empty house.
(c) He dies of starvation at home, dreaming of going under the sea.
(d) He is killed by the villagers who remained in Titlipur.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Mishal, Hanif, and Pinkwalla take Chamcha after they leave the Hot Wax nightclub?
2. Why does Saladin think there is no need for angels and demons?
3. How is Baal disguised by the madam of The Curtain brothel?
4. What does Jumpy Joshi think Chamcha, now transformed with horns and goat feet, needs to begin changing back into a man?
5. What happens to Billy Battuta and Mimi in New York?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)