|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What activity is occupying Pamela's time?
(a) Holding seances to speak with the dea.
(b) Investigating allegations of witchcraft among the police.
(c) Writing a novel about her experience with Chamcha.
(d) Learning to climb mountains.
2. What happens when Allie Cone looks at Saladin Chamcha?
(a) He falls madly in love with her.
(b) He sees that she is exactly like Pamela.
(c) He feels his hate for Gibreel transfer onto her.
(d) There is instant sexual tension.
3. What halts progress on Gibreel's film?
(a) There is a fire on the sound stage.
(b) Billy cannot raise the money.
(c) Billy and Mimi are arrested again in New York.
(d) The script is rejected and they have to start over.
4. On the radio in a taxi, who does Saladin hear speaking?
(a) Allie Cone
(b) Winston churchill
(c) Gibreel Farishta
(d) Eugene Dumsday
5. Who finally recognizes Baal at The Curtain?
(c) Abu Simbel
6. About what does Sufyan's wife, Hind, assume that her husband agrees with her?
(a) That sex is a dirty business
(b) That Chamcha is a freak
(c) That their daughters should not see Chamcha
(d) That Chamcha is Shaitan himself
7. What assurance does Jumpy need to go into Pamela's bedroom?
(a) That Chamcha will not see him
(b) Permission from Chamcha
(c) A copy of Pamela's divorce papers
(d) That Chamcha is out of town
8. What happens to the butterflies?
(a) They turn black.
(b) They suddenly vanish.
(c) They stop changing colors.
(d) They form a circle around the pilgrims.
9. What is Hind doing for two years after her seclusion?
(a) Planning her escape to Egypt
(b) Studying occult books
(c) Writing books for women
(d) Memorizing the Quran
10. What does Srinivas realize about Aeysha?
(a) She cannot possibly be wrong.
(b) She can only sleep under a blanket of butterflies.
(c) She has the same face as the goddess Lakshmi.
(d) She is connected to the Archangel Gibreel.
11. What happens to Billy Battuta and Mimi in New York?
(a) They are suspected of being terrorists.
(b) They are arrested for passing a bad check.
(c) They are denied a visa.
(d) The are accused of spying by the FBI.
12. When Mahound's Aeysha becomes jealous of his dalliances, what does he do?
(a) He makes her walk naked through the city.
(b) He tells her the lies whe wants to hear.
(c) He goes into a trance and quotes the Archangel giving him orders to have many women.
(d) He threatens to have her sent to work at The Curtain.
13. What is Chamcha's dream from the old days?
(a) Teaching his son to ride a bicycle.
(b) Marrying a princess.
(c) Living in an ivory palace.
(d) Learning how to play the sitar.
14. What are Mahound's last words to Baal?
(a) You cannot blaspheme after your head is cut off.
(b) Today you will meet Shaitan.
(c) I see no difference between whores and writers.
(d) Submit and save your miserable life.
15. What spiteful thing does Saladin begin doing to Gibreel and Allie?
(a) Calling during the night but not saying anything.
(b) Putting false insormation about them in the newspapers.
(c) Letting the air out of their tires.
(d) Making anonymous calls suggesting that Allie is having an affair.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Imam say about the foundling baby?
2. Why do the villagers not turn back as they wade deeper and deeper into the sea?
3. What has Hind upset at the Shaandaar Bed and Breakfast?
4. What causes the rumor that Hind is using witchcraft?
5. What offer does Mirza Saeed make Aeysha as the people turn against her?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)