|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two women begin to haunt Saladin's dreams?
(a) Ussa and Manat
(b) Pamela and Hind
(c) Mishal Sufyan and Zeeny Vakil
(d) Anahita and Nasreen
2. What conclusion do the miners reach when the great flood comes?
(a) That they must double their opposition to Aeysha
(b) That God had taken the side of Aeysha
(c) That Aeysha was a powerful magician
(d) That the butterflies had turned into rain
3. How does Hind save her life?
(a) She disguises herself as a peasant.
(b) She becomes Mahound's wife.
(c) He agrees to have Mahound sleep in her bed.
(d) Veiled, she kisses Mahound's foot and says the words of Submission.
4. What happens as Aeysha walks toward the protesters trying to stop the pilgrims?
(a) Someone throws a stone at Aeysha.
(b) It comes a downpour of rain.
(c) Aeysha grows as tall as a tree.
(d) Lightning strikes the protest leader.
5. What does Chamcha do in his apartment?
(a) Make phone calls.
(b) Watch TV.
(c) Break up the furniture.
(d) Kill Pamela.
6. What does Anahita call her parents' native land?
(a) Scandal Point
(b) Hindu Hills
7. What does Gibreel shout out in John Maslama's music store?
(a) I am the Defender of the Faith!
(b) I am the Angel of Death!
(c) I am the right hand of God!
(d) I am the voice of the Prophet!
8. Why is Dr. Simba arrested?
(a) He was standing at the wrong place in the wrong time.
(b) He is accused of being the Granny Ripper Murderer.
(c) He is suspected of terrorism.
(d) He owes back taxes.
9. What do the Sufyan girls think might be going on with Chamcha?
(a) They think he just has a hysterical deformity which will go away.
(b) They think he is projecting an image onto their minds.
(c) They think he will return to normal in the south of France.
(d) Because he is an actor, they think his appearance may just be makeup.
10. What are Mahound's last words to Baal?
(a) Submit and save your miserable life.
(b) I see no difference between whores and writers.
(c) You cannot blaspheme after your head is cut off.
(d) Today you will meet Shaitan.
11. What happens to the butterflies?
(a) They form a circle around the pilgrims.
(b) They suddenly vanish.
(c) They turn black.
(d) They stop changing colors.
12. Who throws a party on a giant sound stage at Shepperton Studios?
(a) S. S. Sisodia
(b) Gibreel Farishta
(c) Pamela Lovelace
(d) Eugene Dumsday
13. Why do the villagers not turn back as they wade deeper and deeper into the sea?
(a) They think that only the open believers will not be harmed by the water.
(b) They have been drugged by Aeysha.
(c) They are too proud to return to scorn.
(d) They have all been hypnotized by the angel.
14. Although Sufyan and Hind now live in a four-storey terraced house, what does she long for?
(a) A smaller house, easier to keep clean.
(b) The humble teacher's flat in Dhaka.
(c) The village life in Bangladesh.
(d) A cottage in Ireland.
15. What offer does Mirza Saeed make Aeysha as the people turn against her?
(a) To fly twenve of the pilgrims to Mecca.
(b) To bring in doctors to help the sick.
(c) To build her a new mosque in Titlipur.
(d) To order boats to take them across the sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Baal disguised by the madam of The Curtain brothel?
2. At the party, seeing London at Gibreel's feet, what happens to Chamcha?
3. What is Hind doing for two years after her seclusion?
4. What does Srinivas, the toy merchant, see coming toward him?
5. How does Aeysha turn Mirza Saeed's offer to her favor?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)