|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the party, seeing London at Gibreel's feet, what happens to Chamcha?
(a) He gets lost in the crowd.
(b) He is happy for his fellow Indian.
(c) He begins to feel ill.
(d) He feels the return of hate.
2. Why is Dr. Simba arrested?
(a) He is accused of being the Granny Ripper Murderer.
(b) He was standing at the wrong place in the wrong time.
(c) He owes back taxes.
(d) He is suspected of terrorism.
3. What does Pamela continue to say about Chamcha?
(a) He doesn't exist, such things are not so.
(b) He is too ugly to be my husband.
(c) I have his death certificate in my hand.
(d) Everyone is having halucinations.
4. Angry at Saeed, Ayesha says that those who listen to the devil's verses will go to the devil. What does Mirza Saeed answer?
(a) How do we know you're not the devil?
(b) It is a choice between the devil and the deep blue sea.
(c) Those who live by the sword will die by the sword.
(d) At least with the devil, you're dry.
5. What does Chamcha do in his apartment?
(a) Watch TV.
(b) Make phone calls.
(c) Break up the furniture.
(d) Kill Pamela.
6. How is Baal disguised by the madam of The Curtain brothel?
(a) He is dressed as a woman.
(b) He is plastered to look like a leper.
(c) His skin and hair are dyed blue black like a djinn.
(d) He is painted white and stands like a statue.
7. In his dream, what do the look-alike Hyacinths call Chamcha?
(a) A grade B actor
(b) An imposter
(c) An archangel
(d) Satan, the Goat
8. After the girls of The Curtain are jailed, what makes the men afraid?
(a) They all knew the names of the girls.
(b) They had violated the laws of segregation of the sexes.
(c) They do not know what may come into Mahound's mind.
(d) They had sworn an oath that they never went to The Curtain.
9. Where do Mishal, Hanif, and Pinkwalla take Chamcha after they leave the Hot Wax nightclub?
(a) To Buckingham Palace.
(b) To his former home.
(c) To the movie studio.
(d) To the bank.
10. How does Salman test Mahound?
(a) He slips pork into Mahound's beef stew but nothing happens.
(b) He makes up new rules, writes them down, and Mahound thinks he did it himself.
(c) He alters the words Mahound gives him to write, but Mahound never notices.
(d) He puts meaningless words into the writing and Mahound thinks Gibreel put them there.
11. What happens to the wife of Sarpanch Muhammad Din, an old woman on the march?
(a) She dies.
(b) She becomes young again.
(c) She kisses Gibreel.
(d) She starts collecting butterflies.
12. What happens to Billy Battuta and Mimi in New York?
(a) They are denied a visa.
(b) They are arrested for passing a bad check.
(c) The are accused of spying by the FBI.
(d) They are suspected of being terrorists.
13. What happens as Aeysha walks toward the protesters trying to stop the pilgrims?
(a) Someone throws a stone at Aeysha.
(b) Lightning strikes the protest leader.
(c) Aeysha grows as tall as a tree.
(d) It comes a downpour of rain.
14. About what does Sufyan's wife, Hind, assume that her husband agrees with her?
(a) That their daughters should not see Chamcha
(b) That Chamcha is Shaitan himself
(c) That Chamcha is a freak
(d) That sex is a dirty business
15. Although Sufyan and Hind now live in a four-storey terraced house, what does she long for?
(a) A smaller house, easier to keep clean.
(b) The humble teacher's flat in Dhaka.
(c) The village life in Bangladesh.
(d) A cottage in Ireland.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who throws a party on a giant sound stage at Shepperton Studios?
2. What offer does Mirza Saeed make Aeysha as the people turn against her?
3. What is Chamcha's dream from the old days?
4. What is the meaning of Uhuru Simba's name?
5. When Mahound's Aeysha becomes jealous of his dalliances, what does he do?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)