|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Saladin think the old woman with the cane is?
(b) The Angel of Death
(c) The Archangel Gibreel
2. Why are Mahound's followers worried after he goes to see the Grandee?
(a) He may fall into the clutches of Hind.
(b) He is likely to compromise with the Grandee.
(c) He is gone a long time and has not returned.
(d) He may be planning to kill the Grandee.
3. What does Gibreel feel is holding him at Rosa's house?
(a) Her pitiful condition.
(b) Her black magic.
(c) Her stories.
(d) Her strong personality.
4. What is under Saladin's bowler hat?
(a) His airplane ticket
(b) A starfish
(c) Gray hair
(d) Two lumps growing out his temples
5. What does the specter of Dr. Babington say as he fades into the moonlight?
(a) Wherever the English go, death is not far behind.
(b) Wherever the English settle, they never leave England.
(c) Whatever the English think, there are better cultures.
(d) Whatever the english bring with them, they always take away.
6. How does Osman make his living?
(a) As a poet
(b) As a clown
(c) As a soldier
(d) As a water bearer
7. Why does the Imam destroy clocks?
(a) The Empress Aeysha collects clocks.
(b) Clocks are works of the Devil.
(c) They remind him of how long he has been in exile.
(d) He says God's time is timeless.
8. To what does Rushdie compare the explosion of the jet?
(a) The A-bomb
(b) The Challenger
(d) The big bang
9. What claim does Aeysha make upon her return to Titlipur?
(a) That she has the power to work miracles
(b) That the Angel Gibreel had lain down beside her
(c) That she is now the new prophet
(d) That she had received a message from God
10. What is the name of the jumbo jet that explodes?
11. Who comes to Hagar to show her the waters of Zamzam?
(a) Gibreel as the Archangel
(c) A camel
12. Who is the antagonist of the Imam, Mahmood?
(a) The Empress Aeysha
(b) Rosa Diamond
(c) Saladin Chamcha
(d) The angel Gibreel
13. What happens to Gibreel's breath after he falls to earth?
(a) It gets worse than before.
(b) It is knocked out of him.
(c) It ceases to smell bad.
(d) It begins to smell like lilacs.
14. What blasphemous thing does Mirza say to Aeysha?
(a) Your Archangel is Shaitan.
(b) God has no prophet.
(c) There is no God.
(d) You are the mother of all liars.
15. What is Mirza's doubt about sending Mishal back to the purdah?
(a) That Misahl would take up with another man and kill him
(b) That he might be planning to seduce the girl Aeysha
(c) That Mishal might get bored and leave
(d) That his mother-in-law would not approve of his modesty
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Imam summons Gibreel, the Archangel, where does he demand to be taken?
2. How does Gibreel finally manage to pin Mahound down in the wrestling match?
3. What does Inspector Lime refuse to admit he saw when he looked up at Gibreel?
4. What is Saladin holding up when he appears in Rosa's hallway?
5. What is Hamza's objection to accepting Lat, Uzza, and Manat as equal with Allah?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)