|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who thinks it is a miracle that they are alive?
(a) The TV reporter
(d) An old woman
2. Where is the Archangel Gibreel after all the followers of Mahound leave the city?
(a) On the mountain being attacked by Lat, Ussa, and Manat.
(b) Flying around trying to find Mahound.
(c) Back home in his bed in London.
(d) In heaven discussing everything with Allah.
3. What is beside Gibreel's ear when he wakes up on the beach?
(a) A starfish
(b) Chamcha's shoe
(c) An octopus
(d) A piece of the plane
4. Who does Saladin think the old woman with the cane is?
(a) The Archangel Gibreel
(d) The Angel of Death
5. What is odd about the song Gibreel begins to sing?
(a) It is a child's nursery rhyme.
(b) It is a language and a tune he does not know.
(c) It echoes back into his mouth.
(d) It is a song about India as a lost continent.
6. Where are they as they are falling?
(a) Over the English Channel
(b) Over the Indian Ocean
(c) Over Paris, France
(d) Over Mecca
7. What does Chamcha order Gibreel to do?
(a) Fly and sing
(b) Shut up and pray
(c) Dive to his death
(d) Hold his hand
8. What mischievous thing is Gibreel doing in his dream?
(a) Throwing water on passing strangers
(b) Drawing graffiti on the walls
(c) Inviting untouchables to dinner
(d) Putting Muslim meat in Hindu tiffins
9. What does Abu Simbel want from Mahound?
(a) That Mahound will bring his angel to the city
(b) That Mahound will leave Jahilia and teach somewhere else
(c) That Allah recognize Lat, Uzza, and Manat as gods
(d) That Mahound will recant his beliefs
10. What proof do the police offer that Saladin is the man they are looking for?
(a) His lumps have grown into sharp horns.
(b) His breath smells of death.
(c) He has no proper identification.
(d) His eyes glow red.
11. What happens between Rosa and Gibreel in a dream?
(a) They are transported to Argentina.
(b) They ride horses on the beach.
(c) They make love.
(d) They drift above the clouds.
12. Why does Rosa Diamond rush for her hat, cloak, and stick?
(a) She is hurrying to go see who fell from the sky.
(b) She is about to do a witch's brew.
(c) She fears she needs to get out of her house.
(d) She is going grocery shopping.
13. What does Gibreel call Chamcha?
14. What happens to Gibreel's breath after he falls to earth?
(a) It gets worse than before.
(b) It ceases to smell bad.
(c) It is knocked out of him.
(d) It begins to smell like lilacs.
15. What occupation do Gibreel and Chamcha have in common?
(a) They are religious clerics.
(b) They are actors.
(c) They are accountants.
(d) The are writers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occurs in Gibreel's dream as Mahound returns to the mountain?
2. What is Saladin holding up when he appears in Rosa's hallway?
3. Why do the police come for Saladin?
4. What is Rosa's response when Gibreel asks if she noticed Chamcha's horns?
5. How does Gibreel finally manage to pin Mahound down in the wrestling match?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)