|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Gibreel's breath after he falls to earth?
(a) It is knocked out of him.
(b) It gets worse than before.
(c) It ceases to smell bad.
(d) It begins to smell like lilacs.
2. What does Gibreel call Chamcha?
3. What does Abu Simbel want from Mahound?
(a) That Allah recognize Lat, Uzza, and Manat as gods
(b) That Mahound will recant his beliefs
(c) That Mahound will bring his angel to the city
(d) That Mahound will leave Jahilia and teach somewhere else
4. What blasphemous thing does Mirza say to Aeysha?
(a) Your Archangel is Shaitan.
(b) You are the mother of all liars.
(c) There is no God.
(d) God has no prophet.
5. After the phone call, who arrives at Rosa's house?
(a) The police come to arrest Saladin.
(b) The TV stations send out their camera crews.
(c) The airline representative comes to interview Rosa.
(d) The mayor of London comes to see Gibreel.
6. How does Hind say he got there?
(a) She seduced him with liquour.
(b) She drugged him and brought him home.
(c) She found him unconscious in the street.
(d) She had him arrested and brought to her.
7. What does Saladin dream about in Rosa's house?
(a) Zeeny Vakil as a mermaid
(b) Curled horns growing out his head
(c) Falling out of the sky
(d) Gibreel sprouting wings
8. How does Hind taunt Mahound?
(a) She says he can kill the Grandee and be her husband.
(b) She calls Lat, Uzza, and Manat his new angels.
(c) She tells him he is a poor lover.
(d) She says he is acting out of craftiness.
9. Why are Mahound's followers worried after he goes to see the Grandee?
(a) He is likely to compromise with the Grandee.
(b) He is gone a long time and has not returned.
(c) He may fall into the clutches of Hind.
(d) He may be planning to kill the Grandee.
10. Who tells Abu Simbel that a poet's work is to shape the world?
11. Who thinks it is a miracle that they are alive?
(a) An old woman
(b) The TV reporter
12. How does Gibreel finally manage to pin Mahound down in the wrestling match?
(a) It is what Mahound wants.
(b) Gibreel strikes Mahound blind.
(c) The afreet come and help him.
(d) Mahound gets sleepy.
13. What news does the Archangel give Aeysha about her friend Mishal?
(a) That she has been chosen by Saladin
(b) That she is dying with cancer
(c) That she will have children by another man after Mirza dies
(d) That she will have triplets
14. What proof do the police offer that Saladin is the man they are looking for?
(a) His breath smells of death.
(b) His lumps have grown into sharp horns.
(c) His eyes glow red.
(d) He has no proper identification.
15. What fills the zamindar, Mirza Saeed Akhtar, with lust as he stands on the veranda of his house?
(a) His wife, Mishal, taking her morning bath in the fountain
(b) The ghost of Rekha dancing on his lawn
(c) A girl who is eating on his lawn and attracting the chameleon butterflies
(d) The Empress Hind doing a sensual dance
Short Answer Questions
1. After the fall, what happens to Saladin's breath?
2. What is impossible for Gibreel and Chamcha to do, yet they do?
3. Seeing the image, what does Gibreel want to know from Saladin?
4. What cliche does Abu Simbel believe is not true?
5. What is Saladin's explanation for their survival?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)