|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who thinks it is a miracle that they are alive?
(a) The TV reporter
(b) An old woman
2. What is odd about the song Gibreel begins to sing?
(a) It is a song about India as a lost continent.
(b) It is a language and a tune he does not know.
(c) It is a child's nursery rhyme.
(d) It echoes back into his mouth.
3. How does Gibreel finally manage to pin Mahound down in the wrestling match?
(a) Mahound gets sleepy.
(b) It is what Mahound wants.
(c) The afreet come and help him.
(d) Gibreel strikes Mahound blind.
4. What does Gibreel feel is holding him at Rosa's house?
(a) Her pitiful condition.
(b) Her stories.
(c) Her black magic.
(d) Her strong personality.
5. What does Aeysha believe will happen on the way to Mecca?
(a) The Archangel Gibreel will lead them all the way.
(b) Gibreel will give them food from heaven.
(c) Mirza Saeed, the zamindar, will be converted.
(d) The waters of the Red Sea will part and they can walk across.
6. What cliche does Abu Simbel believe is not true?
(a) A penny saved is a penny earned
(b) A stitch in time saves nine
(c) The pen is mightier than the sword
(d) Love is neverhaving to say you're sorry
7. To what does Rushdie compare the explosion of the jet?
(a) The Challenger
(b) The A-bomb
(c) The big bang
8. What is Gibreel doing that slows down their descent?
(a) Swimming in air
(b) Holding onto a pelican
(c) Flapping his arms
(d) Using his jacket as a parachutte
9. What does Mahound now believe about the verses accepting the goddesses?
(a) They were in cryptic form where one thing means another.
(b) They were a test of his understanding.
(c) They were from Shaitan and not Gibreel.
(d) They were in a language he really did not understand.
10. What is Saladin holding up when he appears in Rosa's hallway?
(a) His driver's license
(b) His pajamas with the missing button
(c) His bowler hat
(d) A golf club
11. What is Khalid's explanation for the Satanic verses?
(a) That Mahound had brought the devil so they could recongize him.
(b) That Mahound was forced to say good things about Lat.
(c) That Mahound was under the influence of Hind's drugs.
(d) That Mahound was testing their loyalty.
12. Where does Mahound go after he leaves Hind's chambers?
(a) To get a drink from the well of Zamzam.
(b) Back up Mount Cone.
(c) To find his uncle.
(d) To his seventy year old wife.
13. Why are Mahound's followers worried after he goes to see the Grandee?
(a) He may fall into the clutches of Hind.
(b) He is likely to compromise with the Grandee.
(c) He is gone a long time and has not returned.
(d) He may be planning to kill the Grandee.
14. How does Hind say he got there?
(a) She had him arrested and brought to her.
(b) She drugged him and brought him home.
(c) She seduced him with liquour.
(d) She found him unconscious in the street.
15. After the phone call, who arrives at Rosa's house?
(a) The TV stations send out their camera crews.
(b) The airline representative comes to interview Rosa.
(c) The mayor of London comes to see Gibreel.
(d) The police come to arrest Saladin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Rosa and Gibreel see running down the beach at night?
2. Who does Gibreel see on his way down to earth?
3. What is Gibreel wearing when he comes down Rosa's stairs to see what is going on?
4. Who is the previous untouchable who guards Aeysha's hut?
5. What does Hamza do that causes Hind to set her mind on revenge?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)