|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the antagonist of the Imam, Mahmood?
(a) The angel Gibreel
(b) Saladin Chamcha
(c) Rosa Diamond
(d) The Empress Aeysha
2. What occupation do Gibreel and Chamcha have in common?
(a) The are writers.
(b) They are religious clerics.
(c) They are accountants.
(d) They are actors.
3. What difficulty does Gibreel have in getting out of Rosa's house?
(a) He cannot unlock the door.
(b) His legs are unsteady.
(c) Rosa wakes up and holds onto him.
(d) He trips on the stairs.
4. Who does Gibreel see on his way down to earth?
(a) Rekha Merchant on a flying carpet
(b) His step mother on a broomstick
(c) God looking down from Heaven
(d) Allileua Cone in a balloon
5. What is beside Gibreel's ear when he wakes up on the beach?
(a) Chamcha's shoe
(b) An octopus
(c) A starfish
(d) A piece of the plane
6. To what does Rushdie compare the explosion of the jet?
(b) The A-bomb
(c) The big bang
(d) The Challenger
7. After the phone call, who arrives at Rosa's house?
(a) The TV stations send out their camera crews.
(b) The airline representative comes to interview Rosa.
(c) The mayor of London comes to see Gibreel.
(d) The police come to arrest Saladin.
8. What does Abu Simbel want from Mahound?
(a) That Mahound will leave Jahilia and teach somewhere else
(b) That Mahound will recant his beliefs
(c) That Mahound will bring his angel to the city
(d) That Allah recognize Lat, Uzza, and Manat as gods
9. What is Mirza's doubt about sending Mishal back to the purdah?
(a) That he might be planning to seduce the girl Aeysha
(b) That Mishal might get bored and leave
(c) That his mother-in-law would not approve of his modesty
(d) That Misahl would take up with another man and kill him
10. What is the question about the type of song Gibreel sang?
(a) Was it satanic or angelic?
(b) Was it in English or Hindi?
(c) Was it real or imagined?
(d) Was it old or new?
11. What is Gibreel doing that slows down their descent?
(a) Flapping his arms
(b) Holding onto a pelican
(c) Swimming in air
(d) Using his jacket as a parachutte
12. How does Osman explain to the villager that Aeysha disappeared without his seeing where she went.
(a) He says she left in the middle of the night.
(b) He says a wind blew dust in his eyes.
(c) He says she sent him on an errand and was gone when he returned.
(d) He says she gave him something to make him sleep.
13. What does Gibreel feel is holding him at Rosa's house?
(a) Her stories.
(b) Her pitiful condition.
(c) Her strong personality.
(d) Her black magic.
14. When the Imam summons Gibreel, the Archangel, where does he demand to be taken?
15. Why does the Imam destroy clocks?
(a) He says God's time is timeless.
(b) They remind him of how long he has been in exile.
(c) Clocks are works of the Devil.
(d) The Empress Aeysha collects clocks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gibreel doing as he falls through the air?
2. What is Aeysha's affliction?
3. What does Aeysha believe will happen on the way to Mecca?
4. Who willed the rescue and who made it happen?
5. What has Rekha forgotten now that she is dead?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)