|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bilal, an American convert, do for the Imam?
(a) He guards the Imam's door.
(b) He sings the Imam's songs on his radio broadcast.
(c) He provides water for the Imam.
(d) He writes satires for the Imam.
2. Upon her return, what does Aeysha say the people of Titlipur must do?
(a) Give up eating meat.
(b) Learn to call the butterflies.
(c) Go on a pilgrimage to Mecca to kiss the Ka'aba.
(d) Memorize the entire Quran
3. What is the question about the type of song Gibreel sang?
(a) Was it in English or Hindi?
(b) Was it real or imagined?
(c) Was it satanic or angelic?
(d) Was it old or new?
4. What occurs in Gibreel's dream as Mahound returns to the mountain?
(a) He changes Mahound into a donkey.
(b) Mahound tries to kill him.
(c) He talks to God who tells him what to say.
(d) He and Mahound are wrestling naked.
5. What claim does Aeysha make upon her return to Titlipur?
(a) That the Angel Gibreel had lain down beside her
(b) That she had received a message from God
(c) That she has the power to work miracles
(d) That she is now the new prophet
6. Who comes to Hagar to show her the waters of Zamzam?
(c) A camel
(d) Gibreel as the Archangel
7. What does Hamza do that causes Hind to set her mind on revenge?
(a) He kills two of her brothers.
(b) He sets fire to the temple of Uzza.
(c) He destroys a statue to Lat.
(d) He rapes her.
8. What is odd about the song Gibreel begins to sing?
(a) It is a language and a tune he does not know.
(b) It echoes back into his mouth.
(c) It is a song about India as a lost continent.
(d) It is a child's nursery rhyme.
9. What is Gibreel doing as he falls through the air?
(d) Trying to fly
10. What is Rosa's response when Gibreel asks if she noticed Chamcha's horns?
(a) she says she did not.
(b) She says that horns are the fashion now.
(c) Nothing, she goes deaf.
(d) She looks surprised and nods her head.
11. What is Saladin holding up when he appears in Rosa's hallway?
(a) His driver's license
(b) His pajamas with the missing button
(c) A golf club
(d) His bowler hat
12. How does Osman explain to the villager that Aeysha disappeared without his seeing where she went.
(a) He says a wind blew dust in his eyes.
(b) He says she left in the middle of the night.
(c) He says she gave him something to make him sleep.
(d) He says she sent him on an errand and was gone when he returned.
13. To what does Rushdie compare the explosion of the jet?
(a) The Challenger
(c) The A-bomb
(d) The big bang
14. What does Abu Simbel want from Mahound?
(a) That Mahound will leave Jahilia and teach somewhere else
(b) That Allah recognize Lat, Uzza, and Manat as gods
(c) That Mahound will recant his beliefs
(d) That Mahound will bring his angel to the city
15. Seeing the image, what does Gibreel want to know from Saladin?
(a) If he can help him get rid of it
(b) If he is seeing anything at all
(c) If he can hear the conversation
(d) If he can see it also
Short Answer Questions
1. What is impossible for Gibreel and Chamcha to do, yet they do?
2. What difficulty does Gibreel have in getting out of Rosa's house?
3. What does Saladin dream about in Rosa's house?
4. What does ellowen deeowen stand for?
5. Why does Hamza insist that Mahound return to the mountain?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)