|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Gibreel's breath after he falls to earth?
(a) It begins to smell like lilacs.
(b) It gets worse than before.
(c) It is knocked out of him.
(d) It ceases to smell bad.
2. What is Mirza's doubt about sending Mishal back to the purdah?
(a) That Mishal might get bored and leave
(b) That Misahl would take up with another man and kill him
(c) That he might be planning to seduce the girl Aeysha
(d) That his mother-in-law would not approve of his modesty
3. What is Gibreel doing that slows down their descent?
(a) Flapping his arms
(b) Holding onto a pelican
(c) Swimming in air
(d) Using his jacket as a parachutte
4. Why do the police come for Saladin?
(a) The airline wanted to interrogate him about the explosion.
(b) Someone had reported a strange looking man on the beach.
(c) Gibreel had called them to come get him.
(d) They are looking for the devil and think Saladin might be him.
5. When the Imam summons Gibreel, the Archangel, where does he demand to be taken?
6. What is the name of the jumbo jet that explodes?
7. What occupation do Gibreel and Chamcha have in common?
(a) They are accountants.
(b) They are actors.
(c) They are religious clerics.
(d) The are writers.
8. Where is the Archangel Gibreel after all the followers of Mahound leave the city?
(a) Back home in his bed in London.
(b) On the mountain being attacked by Lat, Ussa, and Manat.
(c) Flying around trying to find Mahound.
(d) In heaven discussing everything with Allah.
9. What is Khalid's explanation for the Satanic verses?
(a) That Mahound had brought the devil so they could recongize him.
(b) That Mahound was under the influence of Hind's drugs.
(c) That Mahound was testing their loyalty.
(d) That Mahound was forced to say good things about Lat.
10. What is odd about the song Gibreel begins to sing?
(a) It is a language and a tune he does not know.
(b) It is a child's nursery rhyme.
(c) It is a song about India as a lost continent.
(d) It echoes back into his mouth.
11. How does Gibreel finally manage to pin Mahound down in the wrestling match?
(a) Mahound gets sleepy.
(b) The afreet come and help him.
(c) Gibreel strikes Mahound blind.
(d) It is what Mahound wants.
12. Who does Saladin think the old woman with the cane is?
(a) The Archangel Gibreel
(d) The Angel of Death
13. What is Saladin's explanation for their survival?
(a) That they were lucky
(b) That it was nothing out of the ordinary
(c) That it is all a dream
(d) That God was with them
14. What fills the zamindar, Mirza Saeed Akhtar, with lust as he stands on the veranda of his house?
(a) The Empress Hind doing a sensual dance
(b) The ghost of Rekha dancing on his lawn
(c) A girl who is eating on his lawn and attracting the chameleon butterflies
(d) His wife, Mishal, taking her morning bath in the fountain
15. After a night at the Masks, where does Mahound wake up?
(a) In the cave
(b) In his harem
(c) In Hind's bed
(d) On top of Mount Cone
Short Answer Questions
1. What occurs in Gibreel's dream as Mahound returns to the mountain?
2. What does Hamza do that causes Hind to set her mind on revenge?
3. What proof do the police offer that Saladin is the man they are looking for?
4. What cliche does Abu Simbel believe is not true?
5. What does Bilal, an American convert, do for the Imam?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)