* Flight A1-420 explodes in midair and two men, Gibreel Farishta and Saladin Chamcha, are falling to earth. Gibreel's songs give him power to fly and land the two of them safely.
* The narrator raises the central questions: Which is the miracle worker? Is Farishta's song satanic or angelic? Who am I? (The narrator)
* Gibreel Farishta (angel) has already decided to leave his life in India behind and is seeking rebirth, an interest aroused by Babasaheb, an amateur psychic.
* Upon reading Gibreel's farewell note, his former mistress, Rekha Merchant, murders her children and commits suicide by jumping off the roof of Everest Vilas.
* Before leaving all behind, Gibreel eats forbidden food (bacon) witnessed by his new love interest, Alleluia Cone.
* Gibreel tells Rekha that he does not want forgiveness; he feels that Allah has forsaken him; he leaves Rekha forever as he also leaves India.
* Saladin Chamcha...
This section contains 2,696 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)