|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Adam earn his promotion to Captain?
2. Who is George Forest's son?
3. Who purchases the site?
4. What is the name of the prostitute Fleming meets?
5. In what year does "New World" open?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Obidiah betray his sister?
2. What fortuitous event leads to Adam's marriage and relocation to America?
3. Why does a visit from Canon Nicodemus result in Ralph staying at the doctor's house?
4. How did Peter Wilson go from being a smuggler to a sailor in the British Navy?
5. How do many English people feel about the American soldiers?
6. How do labor troubles lead to many convicts from Sarum being sent to Australia?
7. How is the Shockley family affected by the political crisis?
8. What other community services does Jane contribute to while she is earning her nursing credentials?
9. What path does Adam take to become a soldier?
10. How is Stonehenge at one time private property and later property of the British government?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick one of the major themes of the novel Sarum and build an argument stating that one specific theme was the most powerful force in shaping lives over the course of the centuries.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the structure of the novel Sarum. Is the plot progression chronological and linear, or does the presentation of the story move forward and backward in time? Are the individual chapters told in chronological order, or within single chapters are there ever instances of non-linear progression, such as flashbacks? How does the structure of the novel Sarum affect the overall story?
Essay Topic 3
Of the few women that demonstrated an unusual amount of will and assertiveness, choose one and construct an argument stating that this specific character demonstrated the most bravery in the face of both public and private pressures.
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)