|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ransacks Margaret's house?
2. Where does Patricia meet the American pilot?
3. Who is Margaret's two-year-old brother?
4. Who moves to the Godefroi estate?
5. Who is George Forest's son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What must Jane do before she can accomplish her goal to serve as a nurse?
2. Why does a visit from Canon Nicodemus result in Ralph staying at the doctor's house?
3. How does Ralph lose his position at the school?
4. In "Journey From Sarum," what major changes have occurred for John and Robert Wilson?
5. How do labor troubles lead to many convicts from Sarum being sent to Australia?
6. What sort of political trouble is brewing at the opening of the chapter?
7. How do many English people feel about the American soldiers?
8. How does Obidiah betray his sister?
9. What major conflict is taking place in England, and who are the opposing sides?
10. What is the most noticeable event happening in "The Encampment"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Briefly explain the most significant political upheavals mentioned in the chapter "New World."
Essay Topic 2
Religious conflicts as presented in the novel range from hunter-gatherers conflicting over worship of the sun god versus the moon god to sixteenth century English disagreeing over who should be head of the English church. Are there any religious conflicts that seem to be less about actual religious belief and more about politics?
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes of the novel Sarum might be thought of as "life goes on." Is this always the case in human history, or is there the possibility of annihilation of a people or culture? Examine the threats faced by the people of Sarum and present an argument explaining how one of those threats was the most dangerous the people faced. Which one had the greatest potential to destroy the people of Sarum or their way of life?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)