|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what service is Peter Wilson forced to serve?
2. What is John Wilson's occupation?
3. What is the name of the American pilot Patricia Shockley meets?
4. What religion is Edward Shockley's wife?
5. Who is Margaret's two-year-old brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Will go to the cathedral?
2. How do labor troubles lead to many convicts from Sarum being sent to Australia?
3. How does Godefroi go about trying to improve his family's financial situation?
4. How does Ralph lose his position at the school?
5. What fortuitous event leads to Adam's marriage and relocation to America?
6. Despite success in their business deal, what sort of scandal erupts from Edward bringing Fleming to England?
7. How is Stonehenge at one time private property and later property of the British government?
8. Who is Bloody Mary, and how did she earn her name?
9. How do Adam and Patricia meet? What is their initial fascination with each other? What ultimately happens in the relationship?
10. How is the Shockley family affected by the political crisis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the setting of the novel Sarum both in terms of geography and moment in history. How crucial is the setting to the story? Could the story presented by the novel have taken place at any other location or time?
Essay Topic 2
Religious conflicts as presented in the novel range from hunter-gatherers conflicting over worship of the sun god versus the moon god to sixteenth century English disagreeing over who should be head of the English church. Are there any religious conflicts that seem to be less about actual religious belief and more about politics?
Essay Topic 3
The novel Sarum covers thousands of years, and the living conditions of the characters change dramatically over time, but some things remain the same. Discuss those things that remain the same and will continue to remain the same so long as human nature remains unchanged.
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)