|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the local governmental council that Michael Shockley tries to join?
2. In what service is Peter Wilson forced to serve?
3. In what year does "A Journey From Sarum" open?
4. What king has been forced to flee?
5. Where does Edward travel to find an agent?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Peter Wilson go from being a smuggler to a sailor in the British Navy?
2. Why does Adam believe that the American rebels will ultimately prevail against the British?
3. What major religious event has occurred throughout England?
4. What enables Jane, unlike many women of the time, to avoid marriage and work toward her goals?
5. How do Adam and Patricia meet? What is their initial fascination with each other? What ultimately happens in the relationship?
6. What path does Adam take to become a soldier?
7. How do many English people feel about the American soldiers?
8. What sort of religious duplicity does Edward Shockley enact?
9. How is the Shockley family affected by the political crisis?
10. Why does Will go to the cathedral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the course of the novel various female characters represent the role of women in their respective times. Some of these characters are assertive individuals at a time when that was uncommon for women. Which female characters demonstrated unusual freedom?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the narrator's use of language in the novel Sarum. Is the language elevated to the poetic or is it the everyday language of people of Sarum in their various times in history? Do you find it equally easy to understand characters' language regardless of their time in history?
Essay Topic 3
Some of the author's portrayal of English life is based on documented historical fact, and other parts are based on theories and conjecture. Which parts of the novel do you believe are based on "best guesses"? Do you find these portions of the novel any less entertaining than the parts that are closely based on historical fact?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)