|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hiller gives Adam a book by what author?
2. Who moves to the Godefroi estate?
3. In what year does "Boney" open?
4. What war is taking place?
5. In what year does "The Unrest" open?
Short Essay Questions
1. What must Jane do before she can accomplish her goal to serve as a nurse?
2. How does Ralph lose his position at the school?
3. What sort of political trouble is brewing at the opening of the chapter?
4. In "Journey From Sarum," what major changes have occurred for John and Robert Wilson?
5. What is the most noticeable event happening in "The Encampment"?
6. Even though she is neutral in the matter of king versus Parliament, how does Margaret come to lead a defense force?
7. What enables Jane, unlike many women of the time, to avoid marriage and work toward her goals?
8. What major religious event has occurred throughout England?
9. What major conflict is taking place in England, and who are the opposing sides?
10. Why does Will go to the cathedral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the setting of the novel Sarum both in terms of geography and moment in history. How crucial is the setting to the story? Could the story presented by the novel have taken place at any other location or time?
Essay Topic 2
The novel Sarum presents several themes. Pick one of the ongoing themes of the novel and discuss how it is portrayed throughout the story.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the narrator's use of language in the novel Sarum. Is the language elevated to the poetic or is it the everyday language of people of Sarum in their various times in history? Do you find it equally easy to understand characters' language regardless of their time in history?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)