|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Edmund kill?
2. What ruler commands the forces poised to attack England?
3. What is the name of the local governmental council that Michael Shockley tries to join?
4. Who is the governor at the school where Ralph teaches?
5. According to Adam's thinking, who will win the war between the Americans and the British?
Short Essay Questions
1. What path does Adam take to become a soldier?
2. How does Ralph lose his position at the school?
3. What is the most noticeable event happening in "The Encampment"?
4. How do many English people feel about the American soldiers?
5. Why does a visit from Canon Nicodemus result in Ralph staying at the doctor's house?
6. Despite success in their business deal, what sort of scandal erupts from Edward bringing Fleming to England?
7. How do Adam and Patricia meet? What is their initial fascination with each other? What ultimately happens in the relationship?
8. Despite participating in wars in other parts of the world, why is the time period covered in the chapter "The Calm" considered a time of peace for most English people?
9. How do labor troubles lead to many convicts from Sarum being sent to Australia?
10. Why does Adam believe that the American rebels will ultimately prevail against the British?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the setting of the novel Sarum both in terms of geography and moment in history. How crucial is the setting to the story? Could the story presented by the novel have taken place at any other location or time?
Essay Topic 2
The novel Sarum presents several themes. Pick one of the ongoing themes of the novel and discuss how it is portrayed throughout the story.
Essay Topic 3
Briefly explain the most significant political upheavals mentioned in the chapter "New World."
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)