|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Godfrey takes vows to become what?
2. In what year does "The Encampment" open?
3. What is the name of the local governmental council that Michael Shockley tries to join?
4. What ambition does Godfrey have for his son Oliver?
5. What must Jane do before her initial application is accepted?
Short Essay Questions
1. What major conflict is taking place in England, and who are the opposing sides?
2. Why does Will go to the cathedral?
3. What enables Jane, unlike many women of the time, to avoid marriage and work toward her goals?
4. How does Godefroi go about trying to improve his family's financial situation?
5. How does Obidiah betray his sister?
6. What must Jane do before she can accomplish her goal to serve as a nurse?
7. What fortuitous event leads to Adam's marriage and relocation to America?
8. What path does Adam take to become a soldier?
9. What is the most noticeable event happening in "The Encampment"?
10. How do labor troubles lead to many convicts from Sarum being sent to Australia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The chapter beginning in the year 1244 is titled "The Foundling." Why does the chapter have this title, and how is this a fitting title?
Essay Topic 2
Of the few women that demonstrated an unusual amount of will and assertiveness, choose one and construct an argument stating that this specific character demonstrated the most bravery in the face of both public and private pressures.
Essay Topic 3
Religious conflicts as presented in the novel range from hunter-gatherers conflicting over worship of the sun god versus the moon god to sixteenth century English disagreeing over who should be head of the English church. Are there any religious conflicts that seem to be less about actual religious belief and more about politics?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)