|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rats with fleas bring what to England?
2. The summer of 1139 began a time of political trouble known as ____________.
3. Who is chosen to build the new Stonehenge?
4. In what year does "Twilight" open?
5. Porteus wants to use his money ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Petrus's father have Petrus imprisoned?
2. How does the king raising taxes on Jews affect Godefroi and Shockley's loan?
3. How does the river play a part in the beginning of the affair between Katesh and Tark?
4. How did the practice of farming come to England?
5. Why does Port announce that he will give a gold cross to the nunnery?
6. Why are so many young women sacrificed while Krona grieves over the loss of his wife and child?
7. What are some examples of quarrels between women disturbing the peace.
8. What connection do rats and fleas have to the Black Death?
9. What is the source of the disagreement between Petrus and his father early in the chapter?
10. Why does the marriage between Porteus and Tosutigus's daughter fail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the narrator's use of language in the novel Sarum. Is the language elevated to the poetic or is it the everyday language of people of Sarum in their various times in history? Do you find it equally easy to understand characters' language regardless of their time in history?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the point of view in the novel Sarum. Does the story come from a single narrator or multiple narrators? Does the point of view remain the same throughout the novel, or does it change, and what effect does this have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Pick one of the major themes of the novel Sarum and build an argument stating that one specific theme was the most powerful force in shaping lives over the course of the centuries.
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)