|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does "Twilight" open?
2. How are the high priest and the ruling chief related?
3. Where were Krona's sons killed?
4. Whom does Godefroi ask to escort his wife and children?
5. Who is the high priest?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Peter Wilson go from being a smuggler to a sailor in the British Navy?
2. What enables Jane, unlike many women of the time, to avoid marriage and work toward her goals?
3. Why is Caius Porteus labeled a traitor and sent to Sorviodunum?
4. Why is the visit by Adam such an important undertaking?
5. What is the most noticeable event happening in "The Encampment"?
6. Why does Nicholas live in the city instead of with his Aunt Agnes at the sheep house?
7. Why does Petrus's father have Petrus imprisoned?
8. How is the Shockley family affected by the political crisis?
9. What must Jane do before she can accomplish her goal to serve as a nurse?
10. How do many English people feel about the American soldiers?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the setting of the novel Sarum both in terms of geography and moment in history. How crucial is the setting to the story? Could the story presented by the novel have taken place at any other location or time?
Essay Topic 2
Religious conflicts as presented in the novel range from hunter-gatherers conflicting over worship of the sun god versus the moon god to sixteenth century English disagreeing over who should be head of the English church. Are there any religious conflicts that seem to be less about actual religious belief and more about politics?
Essay Topic 3
Covering thousands of years, the novel mentions many specific historical events. Does the huge scope of the novel in terms of centuries and millennia make the human enacted events such as wars seem more or less significant?
This section contains 1,342 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)