|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the high priest?
2. What does the king tax to finance his wars?
3. The Anglo Saxons are fighting an invasion by whom?
4. Who disobeys Agnes Mason's orders?
5. In what year are rising wages regulated?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Osmund's admission to the mason guild not go as planned.
2. What sort of religious compromise do the farmers and hunters reach?
3. Why does the marriage between Porteus and Tosutigus's daughter fail?
4. What connection does the carved figure Nooma finds have to the past?
5. What connection do rats and fleas have to the Black Death?
6. Why does Petrus's father have Petrus imprisoned?
7. Why is Caius Porteus labeled a traitor and sent to Sorviodunum?
8. Why does Nicholas live in the city instead of with his Aunt Agnes at the sheep house?
9. What are some examples of quarrels between women disturbing the peace.
10. How does the practice of tomb building begin in the region of Stonehenge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Of the few women that demonstrated an unusual amount of will and assertiveness, choose one and construct an argument stating that this specific character demonstrated the most bravery in the face of both public and private pressures.
Essay Topic 2
Some of the author's portrayal of English life is based on documented historical fact, and other parts are based on theories and conjecture. Which parts of the novel do you believe are based on "best guesses"? Do you find these portions of the novel any less entertaining than the parts that are closely based on historical fact?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the narrator's use of language in the novel Sarum. Is the language elevated to the poetic or is it the everyday language of people of Sarum in their various times in history? Do you find it equally easy to understand characters' language regardless of their time in history?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)