|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long after the opening chapter does "The Barrow" begin?
2. Martin Shockley becomes a follower of whom?
3. In what year does "The Foundling" open?
4. How does Krona's bride die?
5. How many people live in the area which Krona rules?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the practice of tomb building begin in the region of Stonehenge?
2. Why do the people of Sarum hold Tosutigus in low regard?
3. What connection do rats and fleas have to the Black Death?
4. How does William Shockley get news about situations in places far from home?
5. How does Osmund's admission to the mason guild not go as planned.
6. How does the king raising taxes on Jews affect Godefroi and Shockley's loan?
7. How did the political troubles between the king and the knights begin?
8. How does the river play a part in the beginning of the affair between Katesh and Tark?
9. What sort of economic arrangement do the farmers and hunters make concerning pelts?
10. Why is Caius Porteus labeled a traitor and sent to Sorviodunum?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the setting of the novel Sarum both in terms of geography and moment in history. How crucial is the setting to the story? Could the story presented by the novel have taken place at any other location or time?
Essay Topic 2
The novel Sarum covers thousands of years, and the living conditions of the characters change dramatically over time, but some things remain the same. Discuss those things that remain the same and will continue to remain the same so long as human nature remains unchanged.
Essay Topic 3
Some of the author's portrayal of English life is based on documented historical fact, and other parts are based on theories and conjecture. Which parts of the novel do you believe are based on "best guesses"? Do you find these portions of the novel any less entertaining than the parts that are closely based on historical fact?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)