|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rats with fleas bring what to England?
2. When did the Normans conquer England?
3. In what year does "The Two Rivers" open?
4. What illegal activity has Godric been pursuing?
5. How long after the opening chapter does "The Barrow" begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sort of religious compromise do the farmers and hunters reach?
2. How does the practice of tomb building begin in the region of Stonehenge?
3. Why does Nicholas live in the city instead of with his Aunt Agnes at the sheep house?
4. Why does Dluc tell Krona that they must sacrifice Krona's firstborn?
5. Why does Port announce that he will give a gold cross to the nunnery?
6. What religious secret does Petrus conceal?
7. What sort of economic arrangement do the farmers and hunters make concerning pelts?
8. What are some examples of quarrels between women disturbing the peace.
9. Why does Godefroi ask John of Shockley to take his wife and children away?
10. What connection do rats and fleas have to the Black Death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the setting of the novel Sarum both in terms of geography and moment in history. How crucial is the setting to the story? Could the story presented by the novel have taken place at any other location or time?
Essay Topic 2
The novel Sarum presents several themes. Pick one of the ongoing themes of the novel and discuss how it is portrayed throughout the story.
Essay Topic 3
The chapter beginning in the year 1244 is titled "The Foundling." Why does the chapter have this title, and how is this a fitting title?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)