|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the monks in the Viking attack of 878?
2. In what month does a civil war begin?
3. What two tribes revolt against the Romans in 60 A.D.?
4. What does Nicholas do to escape suffering from the plague?
5. Who brings a bride for Krona?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the king raising taxes on Jews affect Godefroi and Shockley's loan?
2. How does William Shockley get news about situations in places far from home?
3. Why does the marriage between Porteus and Tosutigus's daughter fail?
4. How does the river play a part in the beginning of the affair between Katesh and Tark?
5. What sort of economic arrangement do the farmers and hunters make concerning pelts?
6. What sort of religious compromise do the farmers and hunters reach?
7. How did the practice of farming come to England?
8. Why is Godric hanged even after his uncle pays a bribe?
9. What are some examples of quarrels between women disturbing the peace.
10. What connection does the carved figure Nooma finds have to the past?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Briefly explain the most significant political upheavals mentioned in the chapter "New World."
Essay Topic 2
Covering thousands of years, the novel mentions many specific historical events. Does the huge scope of the novel in terms of centuries and millennia make the human enacted events such as wars seem more or less significant?
Essay Topic 3
Religious conflicts as presented in the novel range from hunter-gatherers conflicting over worship of the sun god versus the moon god to sixteenth century English disagreeing over who should be head of the English church. Are there any religious conflicts that seem to be less about actual religious belief and more about politics?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)