|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years before the birth of Christ, or the Common Era (C.E.), does the novel open?
2. What sort of business has made Edward Shockley prosperous?
3. Where do Ulla and her children live after Tep's death?
4. The king raises taxes on whom?
5. From where does Krona arrive?
Short Essay Questions
1. In April of 1985, why are the people of Salisbury expecting a visit by the Prince of Wales?
2. How does Godefroi go about trying to improve his family's financial situation?
3. Why does Will go to the cathedral?
4. How does the king raising taxes on Jews affect Godefroi and Shockley's loan?
5. How did the political troubles between the king and the knights begin?
6. How does the practice of tomb building begin in the region of Stonehenge?
7. Why does the marriage between Porteus and Tosutigus's daughter fail?
8. Why does Dluc tell Krona that they must sacrifice Krona's firstborn?
9. Why does Nicholas live in the city instead of with his Aunt Agnes at the sheep house?
10. How do Adam and Patricia meet? What is their initial fascination with each other? What ultimately happens in the relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some of the author's portrayal of English life is based on documented historical fact, and other parts are based on theories and conjecture. Which parts of the novel do you believe are based on "best guesses"? Do you find these portions of the novel any less entertaining than the parts that are closely based on historical fact?
Essay Topic 2
Covering thousands of years, the novel mentions many specific historical events. Does the huge scope of the novel in terms of centuries and millennia make the human enacted events such as wars seem more or less significant?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the tone of the novel Sarum. Does the tone remain consistent throughout the novel, or does it change from chapter to chapter? What effect does the tone have on the story?
This section contains 1,357 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)