|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the high priest and the ruling chief related?
2. Why is Caius Porteus ordered to destroy a village?
3. Martin Shockley becomes a follower of whom?
4. How many people live in the area which Krona rules?
5. Why does Katesh jump into the river?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are so many young women sacrificed while Krona grieves over the loss of his wife and child?
2. After the plague, why do wages rise so high?
3. What religious secret does Petrus conceal?
4. How does the river play a part in the beginning of the affair between Katesh and Tark?
5. What are some examples of quarrels between women disturbing the peace.
6. What is the source of the disagreement between Petrus and his father early in the chapter?
7. How did the political troubles between the king and the knights begin?
8. Why does Port announce that he will give a gold cross to the nunnery?
9. Why must the King of France settle a dispute in England?
10. What sort of economic arrangement do the farmers and hunters make concerning pelts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is an important literary tool. Examine the text for instances of foreshadowing. If instances are present, how do they impact the plot? If there are no instances of foreshadowing, a rare occurrence in a novel, how does the absence of foreshadowing affect the reader's reception of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Pick one of the major themes of the novel Sarum and build an argument stating that one specific theme was the most powerful force in shaping lives over the course of the centuries.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the narrator's use of language in the novel Sarum. Is the language elevated to the poetic or is it the everyday language of people of Sarum in their various times in history? Do you find it equally easy to understand characters' language regardless of their time in history?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)