|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Martin Shockley becomes a follower of whom?
2. Agnes Mason blames what for the spread of the plague?
3. When is the Shockleys' mill completed?
4. In what year does "Twilight" open?
5. The residents of Sarum fear an invasion by whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the practice of tomb building begin in the region of Stonehenge?
2. What religious secret does Petrus conceal?
3. What connection do rats and fleas have to the Black Death?
4. How does William Shockley get news about situations in places far from home?
5. How does the river play a part in the beginning of the affair between Katesh and Tark?
6. How did the political troubles between the king and the knights begin?
7. How does Osmund's admission to the mason guild not go as planned.
8. How did the practice of farming come to England?
9. Why are so many young women sacrificed while Krona grieves over the loss of his wife and child?
10. What is the source of the disagreement between Petrus and his father early in the chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
List and describe the main religious conflicts mentioned over the course of the novel. Include the approximate years in which the conflicts occurred, the opposing sides, and the outcome of the conflict.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the tone of the novel Sarum. Does the tone remain consistent throughout the novel, or does it change from chapter to chapter? What effect does the tone have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Of the few women that demonstrated an unusual amount of will and assertiveness, choose one and construct an argument stating that this specific character demonstrated the most bravery in the face of both public and private pressures.
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)