|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Katesh jump into the river?
2. What two tribes revolt against the Romans in 60 A.D.?
3. What does Nicholas do to escape suffering from the plague?
4. Whose camp do Hwll and his family encounter?
5. Who is to lead the force to defend Sarum?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the practice of tomb building begin in the region of Stonehenge?
2. Why does Petrus's father have Petrus imprisoned?
3. How did the practice of farming come to England?
4. What religious secret does Petrus conceal?
5. Why are so many young women sacrificed while Krona grieves over the loss of his wife and child?
6. What sort of religious compromise do the farmers and hunters reach?
7. What connection do rats and fleas have to the Black Death?
8. What does Tosutigus expect from surrendering to the Romans?
9. What connection does the carved figure Nooma finds have to the past?
10. Why does Nicholas live in the city instead of with his Aunt Agnes at the sheep house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the course of the novel various female characters represent the role of women in their respective times. Some of these characters are assertive individuals at a time when that was uncommon for women. Which female characters demonstrated unusual freedom?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the setting of the novel Sarum both in terms of geography and moment in history. How crucial is the setting to the story? Could the story presented by the novel have taken place at any other location or time?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the point of view in the novel Sarum. Does the story come from a single narrator or multiple narrators? Does the point of view remain the same throughout the novel, or does it change, and what effect does this have on the story?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)