Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does "Twilight" open?
2. How are the high priest and the ruling chief related?
3. Where were Krona's sons killed?
4. Whom does Godefroi ask to escort his wife and children?
5. Who is the high priest?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Peter Wilson go from being a smuggler to a sailor in the British Navy?
2. What enables Jane, unlike many women of the time, to avoid marriage and work toward her goals?
3. Why is Caius Porteus labeled a traitor and sent to Sorviodunum?
4. Why is the visit by Adam such an important undertaking?
5. What is the most noticeable event happening in "The Encampment"?
6. Why does Nicholas live in the city instead of with his Aunt Agnes at the sheep house?
7. Why does Petrus's father have Petrus imprisoned?
8. How is the Shockley family affected by the political crisis?
9. What must Jane do before she can accomplish her goal to serve as a nurse?
10. How do many English people feel about the American soldiers?
Covering thousands of years, the novel mentions many specific historical events. Does the huge scope of the novel in terms of centuries and millennia make the human enacted events such as wars seem more or less significant?
Examine the structure of the novel Sarum. Is the plot progression chronological and linear, or does the presentation of the story move forward and backward in time? Are the individual chapters told in chronological order, or within single chapters are there ever instances of non-linear progression, such as flashbacks? How does the structure of the novel Sarum affect the overall story?
Some of the author's portrayal of English life is based on documented historical fact, and other parts are based on theories and conjecture. Which parts of the novel do you believe are based on "best guesses"? Do you find these portions of the novel any less entertaining than the parts that are closely based on historical fact?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)