|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is Osmund admitted to the mason guild?
2. What is William atte Brigge's wife's name?
3. What sort of business has made Edward Shockley prosperous?
4. Whom does Godefroi ask to escort his wife and children?
5. What Roman Emperor decides to conquer Britain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sort of economic arrangement do the farmers and hunters make concerning pelts?
2. Why does Nicholas live in the city instead of with his Aunt Agnes at the sheep house?
3. Why is the visit by Adam such an important undertaking?
4. How does William Shockley get news about situations in places far from home?
5. Why does Port announce that he will give a gold cross to the nunnery?
6. How does the practice of tomb building begin in the region of Stonehenge?
7. What sort of political trouble is brewing at the opening of the chapter?
8. How do Adam and Patricia meet? What is their initial fascination with each other? What ultimately happens in the relationship?
9. What does Tosutigus expect from surrendering to the Romans?
10. Why does Dluc tell Krona that they must sacrifice Krona's firstborn?
Essay Topic 1
The novel Sarum covers thousands of years, and the living conditions of the characters change dramatically over time, but some things remain the same. Discuss those things that remain the same and will continue to remain the same so long as human nature remains unchanged.
Essay Topic 2
Some of the author's portrayal of English life is based on documented historical fact, and other parts are based on theories and conjecture. Which parts of the novel do you believe are based on "best guesses"? Do you find these portions of the novel any less entertaining than the parts that are closely based on historical fact?
Essay Topic 3
The chapter covering the mid to late sixteenth century is titled "New World." Why does the chapter have this title, and how is this a fitting title?
This section contains 1,326 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)