|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the new cathedral being built?
2. Whom does Osmund suspect of stealing his work of art?
3. What sort of business has made Edward Shockley prosperous?
4. In what year does "The Death" open?
5. Why does Katesh jump into the river?
Short Essay Questions
1. What connection does the carved figure Nooma finds have to the past?
2. Who is Bloody Mary, and how did she earn her name?
3. Why is Godric hanged even after his uncle pays a bribe?
4. How does the practice of tomb building begin in the region of Stonehenge?
5. Why does Nicholas live in the city instead of with his Aunt Agnes at the sheep house?
6. How do many English people feel about the American soldiers?
7. What does Adam compare Salisbury to, and how does this differ from the English view of the town?
8. Why does Petrus's father have Petrus imprisoned?
9. How do labor troubles lead to many convicts from Sarum being sent to Australia?
10. How does William Shockley get news about situations in places far from home?
Essay Topic 1
The novel Sarum presents several themes. Pick one of the ongoing themes of the novel and discuss how it is portrayed throughout the story.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the point of view in the novel Sarum. Does the story come from a single narrator or multiple narrators? Does the point of view remain the same throughout the novel, or does it change, and what effect does this have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
The chapter beginning in the year 1244 is titled "The Foundling." Why does the chapter have this title, and how is this a fitting title?
This section contains 1,314 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)