|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Osmund suspect of stealing his work of art?
2. Why is Caius Porteus ordered to destroy a village?
3. Whose daughter marries Porteus?
4. Martin Shockley becomes a follower of whom?
5. How many children do Hwll and Ulla produce?
Short Essay Questions
1. What religious secret does Petrus conceal?
2. How does the practice of tomb building begin in the region of Stonehenge?
3. Why does the marriage between Porteus and Tosutigus's daughter fail?
4. Why is Godric hanged even after his uncle pays a bribe?
5. How does the king raising taxes on Jews affect Godefroi and Shockley's loan?
6. How does Osmund's admission to the mason guild not go as planned.
7. Why does Godefroi ask John of Shockley to take his wife and children away?
8. How does the river play a part in the beginning of the affair between Katesh and Tark?
9. How did the political troubles between the king and the knights begin?
10. What sort of economic arrangement do the farmers and hunters make concerning pelts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the course of the novel various female characters represent the role of women in their respective times. Some of these characters are assertive individuals at a time when that was uncommon for women. Which female characters demonstrated unusual freedom?
Essay Topic 2
Religious conflicts as presented in the novel range from hunter-gatherers conflicting over worship of the sun god versus the moon god to sixteenth century English disagreeing over who should be head of the English church. Are there any religious conflicts that seem to be less about actual religious belief and more about politics?
Essay Topic 3
Covering thousands of years, the novel mentions many specific historical events. Does the huge scope of the novel in terms of centuries and millennia make the human enacted events such as wars seem more or less significant?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)