|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Edward Shockley marry?
2. What historic event prevents Napoleon from attempting to invade England?
(a) The intervention of the United States.
(b) Austria's declaration of war against France.
(c) The Spanish Armada.
(d) The Black Death.
3. Who commands the British naval forces?
4. To whom is Porteus married?
(a) Francis Shockley.
(c) Nellie Godfrey.
5. What sort of facility is Christchurch?
(a) A port.
(b) A prison.
(c) A cathedral.
(d) A monastery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What archeological site is being sold at auction?
2. What is the name of the prostitute Fleming meets?
3. Who is George Forest's son?
4. Where does Edward travel to find an agent?
5. How old is Jane at the opening of the chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What enables Jane, unlike many women of the time, to avoid marriage and work toward her goals?
2. What fortuitous event leads to Adam's marriage and relocation to America?
3. Why does a visit from Canon Nicodemus result in Ralph staying at the doctor's house?
4. How does Obidiah betray his sister?
5. How is the Shockley family affected by the political crisis?
6. Despite participating in wars in other parts of the world, why is the time period covered in the chapter "The Calm" considered a time of peace for most English people?
7. What sort of religious duplicity does Edward Shockley enact?
8. In "Journey From Sarum," what major changes have occurred for John and Robert Wilson?
9. Ultimately, what effect do Jane's efforts have on Jethro Wilson and his children?
10. What major religious event has occurred throughout England?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)