|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What historically significant event is in progress at the beginning of the chapter?
(a) The War of the Roses.
(b) The Crimean War.
(c) World War II.
(d) World War I.
2. After his marriage, where does Adam relocate?
3. Where did Adam earn his promotion to Captain?
4. What historic event prevents Napoleon from attempting to invade England?
(a) The Spanish Armada.
(b) Austria's declaration of war against France.
(c) The Black Death.
(d) The intervention of the United States.
5. What occupation does Jane Shockley want to pursue?
(a) The law.
(b) The military.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is George Forest's son?
2. To what group is Obidiah committed?
3. Who is Margaret's two-year-old brother?
4. Whom does Nellie marry?
5. Who gives Jane shelter during a thunderstorm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Despite participating in wars in other parts of the world, why is the time period covered in the chapter "The Calm" considered a time of peace for most English people?
2. How did Peter Wilson go from being a smuggler to a sailor in the British Navy?
3. What path does Adam take to become a soldier?
4. What sort of political trouble is brewing at the opening of the chapter?
5. What fortuitous event leads to Adam's marriage and relocation to America?
6. How do Adam and Patricia meet? What is their initial fascination with each other? What ultimately happens in the relationship?
7. In "Journey From Sarum," what major changes have occurred for John and Robert Wilson?
8. Why does Adam believe that the American rebels will ultimately prevail against the British?
9. How does Ralph lose his position at the school?
10. Ultimately, what effect do Jane's efforts have on Jethro Wilson and his children?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)