|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Jules and Geneviève react when they stopped hearing from Sarah?
2. Who shows up at the nursing home when Julia was scheduled to visit?
3. What does Gaspard DuFaure ask Julia?
4. When did Sarah leave France?
5. What do the DuFaures insist to the police?
Short Essay Questions
1. What point in the development of the plot does this moment signify?
2. Describe Julia arrival at the Rainsferds house.
3. Describe the meeting with William Rainsferd.
4. Describe Sarah's return to her apartment.
5. What does the narrator say Julia is troubled by?
6. What decision does Julia change her mind about?
7. What does Julia learn about Sarah during her trip to Orléans.
8. What is Julia's state of mind as she plans to travel to Tuscany?
9. How does the narrator characterize the interactions between Julia and Bamber during their trip to Vel d'Hiv'.
10. What does Eduard send to Julia, and what does she learn from it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of money does Julia Jaramond have, that she can afford so much travel in search of a dead person's stories? How does her wealth compare or contrast with the lower-class families who were rounded up at Vel d'Hiv'? Money is not mentioned explicitly in the novel, but how does it form an aspect of the historical context of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Map out the two stories developed in "Sarah's Key", the Sarah story and the Julia story. Where do they depart, where do they overlap, where do they separate? Describe the problems and challenges associated with choosing a visual form for describing the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What are the traits that distinguish characters like Gaspard DuFaure, William Rainsferd and Julia Jaramond from the others? How do these characters typically get along with the others? What allows them to take things seriously that the other characters do not want to talk about?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)