|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Julia and Guillaume make a trip to?
2. How does Julia respond to Bamber's offer?
3. Where did Bertrand come home from?
4. What does the narrator say is troubling Julia in addition to the story about Vel d'Hiv'?
5. When does this person at the nursing home meet Sarah?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Julia's state of mind as she plans to travel to Tuscany?
2. What does Julia learn from Sarah's wedding announcement?
3. What is Bertrand's response when he hears that Julia is not aborting the baby?
4. What does the narrator say Julia is troubled by?
5. What happens to Julia after her meeting with William Rainsferd?
6. What are the contents of the letter Gaspard DuFaure gives Julia?
7. What decision does Julia change her mind about?
8. What does Eduard send to Julia, and what does she learn from it?
9. What point in the development of the plot does this moment signify?
10. Describe the meeting with William Rainsferd.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Debate the proposition that the parallel de Rosnay draws between the end of a woman's marriage and the death of a child's little brother in the Holocaust is offensive and demeaning to the experience of those who died in Europe in the 1940s. Or is it a way of honoring the depth of human emotion?
Essay Topic 2
What are the traits that distinguish characters like Gaspard DuFaure, William Rainsferd and Julia Jaramond from the others? How do these characters typically get along with the others? What allows them to take things seriously that the other characters do not want to talk about?
Essay Topic 3
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)