|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say is troubling Julia in addition to the story about Vel d'Hiv'?
2. When did Sarah leave France?
3. What does this information about Sarah inspire in Julia?
4. What does Julia tell Bertrand about the baby?
5. What does Julia consent to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Julia's state of mind as she plans to travel to Tuscany?
2. What does Franck Lévy show Julia, and what does it make her feel?
3. Describe Rachel's arrest at the DuFaures'.
4. What is Bertrand's response when he hears that Julia is not aborting the baby?
5. What decision does Julia change her mind about?
6. What clue remains unexplored even after Julia finds out that Sarah died?
7. Describe Julia arrival at the Rainsferds house.
8. Where doe Julia travel to in the U.S. in her search for Sarah?
9. What are the contents of the letter Gaspard DuFaure gives Julia?
10. What does Julia learn about Sarah during her trip to Orléans.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Debate the proposition that the parallel de Rosnay draws between the end of a woman's marriage and the death of a child's little brother in the Holocaust is offensive and demeaning to the experience of those who died in Europe in the 1940s. Or is it a way of honoring the depth of human emotion?
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 3
What are the traits that distinguish characters like Gaspard DuFaure, William Rainsferd and Julia Jaramond from the others? How do these characters typically get along with the others? What allows them to take things seriously that the other characters do not want to talk about?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)