|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bertrand tell Julia about having a child?
2. What work did Sarah take in her new home?
3. How does Julia take this person's arrival at the nursing home?
4. How does Julia respond to Bamber's offer?
5. What is Julia's interview like, with the person Mara Rainsferd put her in touch with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the contents of the letter Gaspard DuFaure gives Julia?
2. Describe Julia arrival at the Rainsferds house.
3. Describe Julia interaction with Eduard.
4. Describe Rachel's arrest at the DuFaures'.
5. How does the narrator characterize the interactions between Julia and Bamber during their trip to Vel d'Hiv'.
6. Describe the meeting with William Rainsferd.
7. What does Julia learn from Sarah's wedding announcement?
8. What point in the development of the plot does this moment signify?
9. What does Franck Lévy show Julia, and what does it make her feel?
10. What decision does Julia change her mind about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 3
Debate the proposition that the parallel de Rosnay draws between the end of a woman's marriage and the death of a child's little brother in the Holocaust is offensive and demeaning to the experience of those who died in Europe in the 1940s. Or is it a way of honoring the depth of human emotion?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)