|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What work did Sarah take in her new home?
2. How did Jules and Geneviève react when they stopped hearing from Sarah?
3. Who are the Starzynskis?
4. Where did Bertrand come home from?
5. What does Bertrand tell Julia about having a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eduard send to Julia, and what does she learn from it?
2. Describe Julia interaction with Eduard.
3. Describe Julia arrival at the Rainsferds house.
4. What does the narrator say Julia is troubled by?
5. What point in the development of the plot does this moment signify?
6. What does Julia learn about Sarah during her trip to Orléans.
7. Where doe Julia travel to in the U.S. in her search for Sarah?
8. Describe Julia's trip to Drancy.
9. What clue remains unexplored even after Julia finds out that Sarah died?
10. How does the narrator characterize the interactions between Julia and Bamber during their trip to Vel d'Hiv'.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Would you recommend "Sarah's Key"? For what purposes would you recommend "Sarah's Key", and what kinds of readers would you not recommend it? What book would you recommend that would cover the same material or provide the same emotional experience in a different way?
Essay Topic 2
What kind of money does Julia Jaramond have, that she can afford so much travel in search of a dead person's stories? How does her wealth compare or contrast with the lower-class families who were rounded up at Vel d'Hiv'? Money is not mentioned explicitly in the novel, but how does it form an aspect of the historical context of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)