|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What message did Bertrand get when he returned home?
2. What does Sarah find when she gets back to her apartment?
3. Who does Julia call to see if she can arrange to find Sarah?
4. How does Julia respond to Bamber's offer?
5. What is Charla's relation to Bertrand?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Julia arrival at the Rainsferds house.
2. What does the narrator say Julia is troubled by?
3. What clue remains unexplored even after Julia finds out that Sarah died?
4. What are the contents of the letter Gaspard DuFaure gives Julia?
5. Where doe Julia travel to in the U.S. in her search for Sarah?
6. What does Franck Lévy tell Julia Jaramond about the Tézacs' apartment?
7. What is Julia's state of mind as she plans to travel to Tuscany?
8. Describe Sarah's return to her apartment.
9. Describe Julia's trip to Drancy.
10. What does Franck Lévy show Julia, and what does it make her feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of cultural identity in "Sarah's Key"? Certain characters are persecuted for their purported identities as Jews, but how do characters create or preserve their identities in a positive sense? What does identity add to people's lives? What are they willing to give up to preserve it? How does Judaism, Frenchness, Americanness, etc. figure in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
In what way is "Sarah's Key" an allegorical novel? What does Julia's baby symbolize? What other symbols give "Sarah's Key" a deeper meaning than the literal? How does the novel teach a moral, or resolve a symbolic problem?
Essay Topic 3
Debate the proposition that the parallel de Rosnay draws between the end of a woman's marriage and the death of a child's little brother in the Holocaust is offensive and demeaning to the experience of those who died in Europe in the 1940s. Or is it a way of honoring the depth of human emotion?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)