|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls Julia to say that Mr. DuFaure would like to meet with her?
2. What does Gaspard DuFaure ask Julia?
3. When does this person at the nursing home meet Sarah?
4. What does Julia tell Bertrand about the baby?
5. Who shows up at the nursing home when Julia was scheduled to visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Julia's state of mind as she plans to travel to Tuscany?
2. What is Bertrand's response when he hears that Julia is not aborting the baby?
3. How does Julia's pregnancy affect her feelings about Sarah's history?
4. What point in the development of the plot does this moment signify?
5. What happens to Julia after her meeting with William Rainsferd?
6. What does Eduard send to Julia, and what does she learn from it?
7. What does Franck Lévy show Julia, and what does it make her feel?
8. What does Julia learn from Sarah's wedding announcement?
9. What are the contents of the letter Gaspard DuFaure gives Julia?
10. What does the narrator say Julia is troubled by?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of cultural identity in "Sarah's Key"? Certain characters are persecuted for their purported identities as Jews, but how do characters create or preserve their identities in a positive sense? What does identity add to people's lives? What are they willing to give up to preserve it? How does Judaism, Frenchness, Americanness, etc. figure in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 3
How well made is "Sarah's Key" as a novel? Is it tight, with artful use of theme, motif, metaphor and imagery? Or does it wander, with images and themes coming up and disappearing over time? Does the novel's construction seem deliberate and artful or something else?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)