|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mara Rainsferd give Julia contact info for?
2. Who shows up at the nursing home when Julia was scheduled to visit?
3. Where do Julia and Guillaume make a trip to?
4. What is Julia's interview like, with the person Mara Rainsferd put her in touch with?
5. Who is Mara Rainsferd?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Rachel's arrest at the DuFaures'.
2. What is the tone of the book, up to the point of Julia finding out about Sarah from Eduard?
3. What happens to Julia after her meeting with William Rainsferd?
4. Describe Sarah's return to her apartment.
5. How does the narrator characterize the interactions between Julia and Bamber during their trip to Vel d'Hiv'.
6. Describe Julia's trip to Drancy.
7. What is Bertrand's response when he hears that Julia is not aborting the baby?
8. What does Franck Lévy show Julia, and what does it make her feel?
9. Describe the meeting with William Rainsferd.
10. What clue remains unexplored even after Julia finds out that Sarah died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Julia Jaramond is an American who has spent twenty-five years in France, and Sarah Starzynski is a Polish Jew living in Paris. Describe the importance, in "Sarah's Key", of nationality and home. Who feels 'at home' and how are these characters different from characters who have a different relationship with place?
Essay Topic 2
How well made is "Sarah's Key" as a novel? Is it tight, with artful use of theme, motif, metaphor and imagery? Or does it wander, with images and themes coming up and disappearing over time? Does the novel's construction seem deliberate and artful or something else?
Essay Topic 3
Write an evaluative review of "Sarah's Key". What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)