|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mara Rainsferd give Julia contact info for?
2. When does this person at the nursing home meet Sarah?
3. What is Julia dismayed by during this next stop?
4. Who does Julia call to see if she can arrange to find Sarah?
5. Who is Gaspard DuFaure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Julia decide to do about her pregnancy and her marriage?
2. What is the tone of the book, up to the point of Julia finding out about Sarah from Eduard?
3. Describe the meeting with William Rainsferd.
4. What does Julia learn about Sarah during her trip to Orléans.
5. What is Bertrand's response when he hears that Julia is not aborting the baby?
6. Describe Rachel's arrest at the DuFaures'.
7. What point in the development of the plot does this moment signify?
8. Where doe Julia travel to in the U.S. in her search for Sarah?
9. What decision does Julia change her mind about?
10. What clue remains unexplored even after Julia finds out that Sarah died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 2
How well made is "Sarah's Key" as a novel? Is it tight, with artful use of theme, motif, metaphor and imagery? Or does it wander, with images and themes coming up and disappearing over time? Does the novel's construction seem deliberate and artful or something else?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)