|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does this person at the nursing home meet Sarah?
2. What does the letter talk about?
3. What does the narrator say about children surviving the deportations and camps?
4. When did Sarah stop corresponding with the DuFaures?
5. What is Julia looking forward to doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Julia decide to do about her pregnancy and her marriage?
2. What is Julia's state of mind as she plans to travel to Tuscany?
3. Describe Julia interaction with Eduard.
4. What does Franck Lévy tell Julia Jaramond about the Tézacs' apartment?
5. What decision does Julia change her mind about?
6. What is Bertrand's response when he hears that Julia is not aborting the baby?
7. What does Franck Lévy show Julia, and what does it make her feel?
8. Describe Rachel's arrest at the DuFaures'.
9. Describe the meeting with William Rainsferd.
10. What clue remains unexplored even after Julia finds out that Sarah died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does escaping cost characters in "Sarah's Key", and what do characters do when they cannot escape, from history, from relationships, from their own stories? What limits the ability to escape, in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of Bertrand's mid-life crisis? Is it a convenient mechanism for removing him from Julia's live, to make room for William Rainsferd, or is it a metaphor for the inability to arrive at a mature acceptance of life's painful complexities?
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of cultural identity in "Sarah's Key"? Certain characters are persecuted for their purported identities as Jews, but how do characters create or preserve their identities in a positive sense? What does identity add to people's lives? What are they willing to give up to preserve it? How does Judaism, Frenchness, Americanness, etc. figure in the novel?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)