|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bamber notice about Julia?
2. How does the letter describe Sarah's feelings about peace?
3. In what decision does Julia change her mind?
4. Where does Sirka hide when the police come?
5. Where did Bertrand come home from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator characterize the interactions between Julia and Bamber during their trip to Vel d'Hiv'.
2. What happens to Julia after her meeting with William Rainsferd?
3. What does Eduard send to Julia, and what does she learn from it?
4. Describe Rachel's arrest at the DuFaures'.
5. What is Julia's state of mind as she plans to travel to Tuscany?
6. Describe Julia interaction with Eduard.
7. What does Julia decide to do about her pregnancy and her marriage?
8. What does Franck Lévy show Julia, and what does it make her feel?
9. What are the contents of the letter Gaspard DuFaure gives Julia?
10. Describe Sarah's return to her apartment.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of cultural identity in "Sarah's Key"? Certain characters are persecuted for their purported identities as Jews, but how do characters create or preserve their identities in a positive sense? What does identity add to people's lives? What are they willing to give up to preserve it? How does Judaism, Frenchness, Americanness, etc. figure in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
How are Julia's pregnancy and her search for Sarah related? Is the pregnancy--and Bertrand's opposition to it--an opportunity for her to look into Sarah's story? Is Sarah's story a counterweight to balance her discomfort about her marriage?
Essay Topic 3
Map out the two stories developed in "Sarah's Key", the Sarah story and the Julia story. Where do they depart, where do they overlap, where do they separate? Describe the problems and challenges associated with choosing a visual form for describing the novel.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)