Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the father do when the girl falls ill?
2. What is the girl's father's occupation?
3. Who do the girl and her mother see in the street?
4. How does the girl spend her time at the new location?
5. What do the police tell the people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Julia decide to do about her pregnancy and her marriage?
2. Describe the conditions at Beaune-la-Rolande.
3. What happens when William Rainsferd shows up at Julia's apartment?
4. What clue remains unexplored even after Julia finds out that Sarah died?
5. What is in Sarah's diary?
6. What does Julia learn from Sarah's wedding announcement?
7. What does the narrator say Julia is troubled by?
8. What does Franck Lévy show Julia, and what does it make her feel?
9. What restrictions have the Jews had to obey under the Vichy government?
10. Describe Julia interaction with Eduard.
Essay Topic 1
What kind of money does Julia Jaramond have, that she can afford so much travel in search of a dead person's stories? How does her wealth compare or contrast with the lower-class families who were rounded up at Vel d'Hiv'? Money is not mentioned explicitly in the novel, but how does it form an aspect of the historical context of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What are the traits that distinguish characters like Gaspard DuFaure, William Rainsferd and Julia Jaramond from the others? How do these characters typically get along with the others? What allows them to take things seriously that the other characters do not want to talk about?
Essay Topic 3
Julia Jaramond is an American who has spent twenty-five years in France, and Sarah Starzynski is a Polish Jew living in Paris. Describe the importance, in "Sarah's Key", of nationality and home. Who feels 'at home' and how are these characters different from characters who have a different relationship with place?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)