Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the father do when the girl falls ill?
2. What is the girl's father's occupation?
3. Who do the girl and her mother see in the street?
4. How does the girl spend her time at the new location?
5. What do the police tell the people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Julia decide to do about her pregnancy and her marriage?
2. Describe the conditions at Beaune-la-Rolande.
3. What happens when William Rainsferd shows up at Julia's apartment?
4. What clue remains unexplored even after Julia finds out that Sarah died?
5. What is in Sarah's diary?
6. What does Julia learn from Sarah's wedding announcement?
7. What does the narrator say Julia is troubled by?
8. What does Franck Lévy show Julia, and what does it make her feel?
9. What restrictions have the Jews had to obey under the Vichy government?
10. Describe Julia interaction with Eduard.
The ending of "Sarah's Key" gets a bit chaotic, as a lot of family drama comes to a head, and Julia's marriage ends, and her mother-in-law dies after the big realization that the Tézac family was related to Sarah's story. Evaluate the proposition that this jumble of action and plot resolution is a flaw in the novel, and that the convolutions dispel the force of the realizations. Does this book end up being about Julia's marriage and in-law family drama, with Sarah's story being just dressing?
Write an evaluative review of "Sarah's Key". What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
What kind of money does Julia Jaramond have, that she can afford so much travel in search of a dead person's stories? How does her wealth compare or contrast with the lower-class families who were rounded up at Vel d'Hiv'? Money is not mentioned explicitly in the novel, but how does it form an aspect of the historical context of the novel?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)