|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is at the door when there is a knock?
2. What is Mame Tézac suffering?
3. What is the girls doing at the beginning of the novel?
4. What is the girl's name?
5. Where does the girl's parents' fear come from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the larger context for the story, and how does the story clue us in to that larger context?
2. What kind of writing does Julia do?
3. What happens when the girl and her parents arrive at Beaune-la-Rolande?
4. How does the narrator describe the site of Vel d'Hiv'?
5. How does the narrator characterize Julia and Zoe?
6. Describe Julia Jaramond's relationship with her husband.
7. What are conditions like at the location where the buses take the girl and her mother?
8. Where do the girl and Rachel go after Beaune-la-Rolande?
9. Describe the conditions at Beaune-la-Rolande.
10. What does the girl do when the girls are separated from their mothers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of Bertrand's mid-life crisis? Is it a convenient mechanism for removing him from Julia's live, to make room for William Rainsferd, or is it a metaphor for the inability to arrive at a mature acceptance of life's painful complexities?
Essay Topic 2
What are the traits that distinguish characters like Gaspard DuFaure, William Rainsferd and Julia Jaramond from the others? How do these characters typically get along with the others? What allows them to take things seriously that the other characters do not want to talk about?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)