Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the father do when the girl falls ill?
2. What is the girl's father's occupation?
3. Who do the girl and her mother see in the street?
4. How does the girl spend her time at the new location?
5. What do the police tell the people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Julia decide to do about her pregnancy and her marriage?
2. Describe the conditions at Beaune-la-Rolande.
3. What happens when William Rainsferd shows up at Julia's apartment?
4. What clue remains unexplored even after Julia finds out that Sarah died?
5. What is in Sarah's diary?
6. What does Julia learn from Sarah's wedding announcement?
7. What does the narrator say Julia is troubled by?
8. What does Franck Lévy show Julia, and what does it make her feel?
9. What restrictions have the Jews had to obey under the Vichy government?
10. Describe Julia interaction with Eduard.
Essay Topic 1
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 2
Map out the two stories developed in "Sarah's Key", the Sarah story and the Julia story. Where do they depart, where do they overlap, where do they separate? Describe the problems and challenges associated with choosing a visual form for describing the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The ending of "Sarah's Key" gets a bit chaotic, as a lot of family drama comes to a head, and Julia's marriage ends, and her mother-in-law dies after the big realization that the Tézac family was related to Sarah's story. Evaluate the proposition that this jumble of action and plot resolution is a flaw in the novel, and that the convolutions dispel the force of the realizations. Does this book end up being about Julia's marriage and in-law family drama, with Sarah's story being just dressing?
This section contains 1,525 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)