|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the red-haired policeman's demeanor when the girl sees him at Beaune-la-Rolande?
2. How does the mother change at Beaune-la-Rolande?
3. What ailments were NOT among the ailments described as afflicting the people at the new location?
4. What does the concierge do as the girl and her mother leave the building?
5. What is Bertrand's attitude toward Julia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the larger context for the story, and how does the story clue us in to that larger context?
2. When and where does "Sarah's Key" take place?
3. What lead does Julia get for gathering more information about Vel d'Hiv' during her trip there?
4. What do the yellow stars signify?
5. How does the narrator characterize Julia and Zoe?
6. Where do the girl and Rachel go after Beaune-la-Rolande?
7. What are conditions like at the location where the buses take the girl and her mother?
8. Describe the conditions at Beaune-la-Rolande.
9. What does Mame Tézac have to do with the events of the Vel d'Hiv' roundup?
10. What restrictions have the Jews had to obey under the Vichy government?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does escaping cost characters in "Sarah's Key", and what do characters do when they cannot escape, from history, from relationships, from their own stories? What limits the ability to escape, in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What answer does the novel have for the depression that kills Sarah Rainsferd? Who else feels that despair, and how do they resolve it without committing suicide?
Essay Topic 3
Debate the proposition that the parallel de Rosnay draws between the end of a woman's marriage and the death of a child's little brother in the Holocaust is offensive and demeaning to the experience of those who died in Europe in the 1940s. Or is it a way of honoring the depth of human emotion?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)