|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the girl do to take care of the other children?
2. What does the girl say is clear from the Doctor's demeanor when he comes to treat Rachel?
3. What is the girl's mother's reaction to this?
4. How is the family transported away from their neighborhood?
5. When does the girl think she will see the boy again?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lead does Julia get for gathering more information about Vel d'Hiv' during her trip there?
2. Describe the conditions at Beaune-la-Rolande.
3. What do the yellow stars signify?
4. What does pregnancy mean for Julia?
5. When and where does "Sarah's Key" take place?
6. How does the narrator describe the site of Vel d'Hiv'?
7. How does the narrator characterize Julia and Zoe?
8. Where do the girl and Rachel go after Beaune-la-Rolande?
9. What does Mame Tézac have to do with the events of the Vel d'Hiv' roundup?
10. How are the girl and her mother treated as they leave the apartment building?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What answer does the novel have for the depression that kills Sarah Rainsferd? Who else feels that despair, and how do they resolve it without committing suicide?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate your own reading of 'Sarah's Key'--did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
Essay Topic 3
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)