|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is stamped on the family's identity cards?
2. What happened then the girl and her family arrived at Beaune-la-Rolande?
3. How old is the girl?
4. What does the mother tell the girl?
5. What is Beaune-la-Rolande?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator say the girl and her mother react differently to the conditions at Beaune-la-Rolande?
2. How does the narrator characterize Julia and Zoe?
3. When and where does "Sarah's Key" take place?
4. What is the opening scene of "Sarah's Key".
5. What does Mame Tézac have to do with the events of the Vel d'Hiv' roundup?
6. Describe the conditions at Beaune-la-Rolande.
7. What kind of writing does Julia do?
8. Describe the girl and her parents' departure for Beaune-la-Rolande.
9. What restrictions have the Jews had to obey under the Vichy government?
10. How does the narrator describe the site of Vel d'Hiv'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
Essay Topic 2
How well made is "Sarah's Key" as a novel? Is it tight, with artful use of theme, motif, metaphor and imagery? Or does it wander, with images and themes coming up and disappearing over time? Does the novel's construction seem deliberate and artful or something else?
Essay Topic 3
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)