|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language are the girl's parent's speaking?
2. How does the narrator describe how people felt about the girl's family?
3. How long had the girl been at this new location before she became ill?
4. What is stamped on the family's identity cards?
5. What does the concierge do as the girl and her mother leave the building?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the girl do when the girls are separated from their mothers?
2. What decision does Julia change her mind about?
3. What are conditions like at the location where the buses take the girl and her mother?
4. What does Franck Lévy tell Julia Jaramond about the Tézacs' apartment?
5. Describe the meeting with William Rainsferd.
6. How does the narrator describe the site of Vel d'Hiv'?
7. What does Julia wonder about William Rainsferd?
8. What do we find out happened when Julia started bleeding?
9. Describe the conditions at Beaune-la-Rolande.
10. What restrictions have the Jews had to obey under the Vichy government?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of Bertrand's mid-life crisis? Is it a convenient mechanism for removing him from Julia's live, to make room for William Rainsferd, or is it a metaphor for the inability to arrive at a mature acceptance of life's painful complexities?
Essay Topic 2
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
This section contains 1,498 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)