|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the girl's father's occupation?
2. What language are the girl's parent's speaking?
3. What does the father do when the girl falls ill?
4. What is the girl's name?
5. What is Bertrand's reaction when Julia tells him about her pregnancy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the girl and her parents' departure for Beaune-la-Rolande.
2. Where are the girl and her parents sent to, before their final destination?
3. What do the girl and her mother take with them when they leave their home?
4. What lead does Julia get for gathering more information about Vel d'Hiv' during her trip there?
5. What does the girl do when the girls are separated from their mothers?
6. What does pregnancy mean for Julia?
7. What do the yellow stars signify?
8. What are conditions like at the location where the buses take the girl and her mother?
9. How are the girl and her mother treated as they leave the apartment building?
10. How does the narrator characterize Julia and Zoe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Would you recommend "Sarah's Key"? For what purposes would you recommend "Sarah's Key", and what kinds of readers would you not recommend it? What book would you recommend that would cover the same material or provide the same emotional experience in a different way?
Essay Topic 2
In what way is "Sarah's Key" an allegorical novel? What does Julia's baby symbolize? What other symbols give "Sarah's Key" a deeper meaning than the literal? How does the novel teach a moral, or resolve a symbolic problem?
Essay Topic 3
How are Julia's pregnancy and her search for Sarah related? Is the pregnancy--and Bertrand's opposition to it--an opportunity for her to look into Sarah's story? Is Sarah's story a counterweight to balance her discomfort about her marriage?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)