|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rachel become sick with?
2. Who is at the door when there is a knock?
3. What do the parents tell the girl?
4. What is the girl's name?
5. Why is Julia Jaramond looking forward to taking over Mame Tézac's apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of writing does Julia do?
2. What does Mame Tézac have to do with the events of the Vel d'Hiv' roundup?
3. What are conditions like at the location where the buses take the girl and her mother?
4. What is the opening scene of "Sarah's Key".
5. When and where does "Sarah's Key" take place?
6. What happens when the girl and her parents arrive at Beaune-la-Rolande?
7. Describe the girl and her parents' departure for Beaune-la-Rolande.
8. How does the narrator characterize Julia and Zoe?
9. Describe the conditions at Beaune-la-Rolande.
10. Where do the girl and Rachel go after Beaune-la-Rolande?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Map out the two stories developed in "Sarah's Key", the Sarah story and the Julia story. Where do they depart, where do they overlap, where do they separate? Describe the problems and challenges associated with choosing a visual form for describing the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)