|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Jews were deported from Vel d'Hiv' in July 1942?
2. What does the girl do when her father tells her what is happening?
3. What ailments were NOT among the ailments described as afflicting the people at the new location?
4. What do the people at the door tell the girl's mother to do?
5. What was Vélodrome d' Hiver before it was a holding site for Jews?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the opening scene of "Sarah's Key".
2. What kind of writing does Julia do?
3. How does the narrator describe the site of Vel d'Hiv'?
4. What does pregnancy mean for Julia?
5. How does it happen that two members of the family do not go with the police?
6. Describe the conditions at Beaune-la-Rolande.
7. Describe Julia Jaramond's relationship with her husband.
8. Describe the girl's escape with Rachel.
9. What does the girl do when the girls are separated from their mothers?
10. Where are the girl and her parents sent to, before their final destination?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What answer does the novel have for the depression that kills Sarah Rainsferd? Who else feels that despair, and how do they resolve it without committing suicide?
Essay Topic 2
How are Julia's pregnancy and her search for Sarah related? Is the pregnancy--and Bertrand's opposition to it--an opportunity for her to look into Sarah's story? Is Sarah's story a counterweight to balance her discomfort about her marriage?
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of cultural identity in "Sarah's Key"? Certain characters are persecuted for their purported identities as Jews, but how do characters create or preserve their identities in a positive sense? What does identity add to people's lives? What are they willing to give up to preserve it? How does Judaism, Frenchness, Americanness, etc. figure in the novel?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)