|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the girl angry with her father?
2. How does the narrator describe the red-haired policeman's demeanor when the girl sees him at Beaune-la-Rolande?
3. What are the people ordered to do?
4. How does the narrator explain the fact that Bamber did not know anything about Vel d'Hiv'?
5. Who do the girl and her mother see in the street?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the girl and her parents' departure for Beaune-la-Rolande.
2. How does the narrator characterize Julia and Zoe?
3. Describe the conditions at Beaune-la-Rolande.
4. How does the narrator say the girl and her mother react differently to the conditions at Beaune-la-Rolande?
5. What restrictions have the Jews had to obey under the Vichy government?
6. Describe the girl's escape with Rachel.
7. What are conditions like at the location where the buses take the girl and her mother?
8. Where are the girl and her parents sent to, before their final destination?
9. How does it happen that two members of the family do not go with the police?
10. Where do the girl and Rachel go after Beaune-la-Rolande?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an evaluative review of "Sarah's Key". What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 2
In what way is "Sarah's Key" an allegorical novel? What does Julia's baby symbolize? What other symbols give "Sarah's Key" a deeper meaning than the literal? How does the novel teach a moral, or resolve a symbolic problem?
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate your own reading of 'Sarah's Key'--did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)