|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the girl's father spend time when he is not working?
2. What does the girl receive from a stranger?
3. What is Bertrand's reaction when Julia tells him about her pregnancy?
4. Where does the girl's parents' fear come from?
5. How does the narrator describe how people felt about the girl's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator characterize Julia and Zoe?
2. How are the girl and her mother treated as they leave the apartment building?
3. Where do the girl and Rachel go after Beaune-la-Rolande?
4. Where are the girl and her parents sent to, before their final destination?
5. Describe Julia Jaramond's relationship with her husband.
6. How does the narrator say the girl and her mother react differently to the conditions at Beaune-la-Rolande?
7. What does the girl do when the girls are separated from their mothers?
8. Describe the conditions at Beaune-la-Rolande.
9. What restrictions have the Jews had to obey under the Vichy government?
10. How does the narrator describe the site of Vel d'Hiv'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What answer does the novel have for the depression that kills Sarah Rainsferd? Who else feels that despair, and how do they resolve it without committing suicide?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of Bertrand's mid-life crisis? Is it a convenient mechanism for removing him from Julia's live, to make room for William Rainsferd, or is it a metaphor for the inability to arrive at a mature acceptance of life's painful complexities?
Essay Topic 3
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)