|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the people ordered to do?
2. What does Julia know instinctively about Mame Tézac's apartment?
3. How does the mother change at Beaune-la-Rolande?
4. What does the girl receive from a stranger?
5. What does the father do when the girl and her mother are leaving?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are conditions like at the location where the buses take the girl and her mother?
2. What is the larger context for the story, and how does the story clue us in to that larger context?
3. Describe the girl's escape with Rachel.
4. How does the narrator characterize Julia and Zoe?
5. How are the girl and her mother treated as they leave the apartment building?
6. What restrictions have the Jews had to obey under the Vichy government?
7. What kind of writing does Julia do?
8. What does the girl do when the girls are separated from their mothers?
9. How does the narrator say the girl and her mother react differently to the conditions at Beaune-la-Rolande?
10. What does pregnancy mean for Julia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How well made is "Sarah's Key" as a novel? Is it tight, with artful use of theme, motif, metaphor and imagery? Or does it wander, with images and themes coming up and disappearing over time? Does the novel's construction seem deliberate and artful or something else?
Essay Topic 2
What does escaping cost characters in "Sarah's Key", and what do characters do when they cannot escape, from history, from relationships, from their own stories? What limits the ability to escape, in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Map out the two stories developed in "Sarah's Key", the Sarah story and the Julia story. Where do they depart, where do they overlap, where do they separate? Describe the problems and challenges associated with choosing a visual form for describing the novel.
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)