|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Julia consent to?
(a) Give up looking for Sarah.
(b) Have an abortion.
(c) Not to publish her information about Sarah.
(d) Meet with Sarah.
2. What does the curator at the Memorial Museum tell Julia?
(a) That this is the center of attempts to memorialize the war and the deportations.
(b) That interest in the history comes and goes in waves.
(c) That there's no escaping the shadow of what happened there.
(d) That most people don't care what happened there.
3. What does Julia learn about Sarah from this person?
(a) That Sarah had emigrated to the U.S.
(b) That Sarah had died.
(c) That Sarah was still living in Paris.
(d) That his father had sent the DuFaures money for Sarah.
4. What does Bamber offer Julia?
(a) A shoulder to cry on.
(c) Time to talk.
5. What message did Bertrand get when he returned home?
(a) Zoe called to say that her mother had left for a trip.
(b) The doctor called to say that Julia had decided against the abortion.
(c) Sarah called to see who was looking for her.
(d) Julia called to say that she was leaving for New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julia tell Bertrand about the baby?
2. How does this trip make Julia feel?
3. What do the DuFaures try to do when the police come?
4. Where did Sarah go?
5. What does Sirka/Sarah tell the DuFaures after Rachel was taken?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Julia's pregnancy affect her feelings about Sarah's history?
2. What is Bertrand's response when he hears that Julia is not aborting the baby?
3. What are the contents of the letter Gaspard DuFaure gives Julia?
4. What point in the development of the plot does this moment signify?
5. What does Julia decide to do about her pregnancy and her marriage?
6. What does the narrator say Julia is troubled by?
7. What clue remains unexplored even after Julia finds out that Sarah died?
8. Describe the meeting with William Rainsferd.
9. Describe Rachel's arrest at the DuFaures'.
10. Describe Sarah's return to her apartment.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)