|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the father do when the girl falls ill?
(a) Takes her to a doctor.
(b) Buys her medicine.
(c) Abandons her.
(d) Comforts her.
2. Who proposes to escape?
(d) The girl.
3. What promise does the girl make to her brother?
(a) To take care of him.
(b) Never to forget him.
(c) To come back that evening.
(d) To be back as soon as possible.
4. How does the narrator describe the red-haired policeman's demeanor when the girl sees him at Beaune-la-Rolande?
5. How does the girl spend her time at the new location?
(a) Attempting to escape.
(b) With her head between her knees.
(c) Making friends.
(d) Looking for food.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the police believe the boy is?
2. What does the narrator say the girl thinks about at her new location?
3. Why is Julia Jaramond looking forward to taking over Mame Tézac's apartment?
4. What does the plaque at Vel d'Hiv' tell passersby?
5. How does the narrator explain the fact that Bamber did not know anything about Vel d'Hiv'?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Julia Jaramond's relationship with her husband.
2. What lead does Julia get for gathering more information about Vel d'Hiv' during her trip there?
3. How does it happen that two members of the family do not go with the police?
4. How does the narrator characterize Julia and Zoe?
5. What happens when the girl and her parents arrive at Beaune-la-Rolande?
6. Describe the conditions at Beaune-la-Rolande.
7. What does pregnancy mean for Julia?
8. What do the yellow stars signify?
9. What restrictions have the Jews had to obey under the Vichy government?
10. What does Mame Tézac have to do with the events of the Vel d'Hiv' roundup?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)