|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does the girl think she will see the boy again?
(b) Within a few days.
(c) That night.
(d) At the end of the war.
2. How old is the girl's brother?
3. What do the girl and Rachel take with them from Beaune-la-Rolande?
(a) Money from the red-haired policeman.
(b) The names of other children there.
(c) Two other children.
(d) Food from the commissary.
4. What is Beaune-la-Rolande?
(a) A concentration camp.
(b) A holding camp.
(c) A ghetto.
(d) A prison.
5. What does the father tell the girl about their situation?
(a) They are being made to pay for someone's sins.
(b) They are going to die.
(c) There's nothing they can do.
(d) They have to fight if they're going to survive.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the concierge do as the girl and her mother leave the building?
2. What does the girl do to her brother?
3. What is the girls doing at the beginning of the novel?
4. What do the police take from the women at Beaune-la-Rolande?
5. What condition does the narrator say the people are in?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator characterize Julia and Zoe?
2. Describe the conditions at Beaune-la-Rolande.
3. How are the girl and her mother treated as they leave the apartment building?
4. What are conditions like at the location where the buses take the girl and her mother?
5. What restrictions have the Jews had to obey under the Vichy government?
6. Describe Julia Jaramond's relationship with her husband.
7. Describe the girl's escape with Rachel.
8. What is the larger context for the story, and how does the story clue us in to that larger context?
9. Where do the girl and Rachel go after Beaune-la-Rolande?
10. How does the narrator say the girl and her mother react differently to the conditions at Beaune-la-Rolande?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)