|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Julia learn about Sarah from this person?
(a) That his father had sent the DuFaures money for Sarah.
(b) That Sarah had emigrated to the U.S.
(c) That Sarah was still living in Paris.
(d) That Sarah had died.
2. How does Mrs. DuFaure distract the policemen who are searching the basement?
(a) She offers food and drink.
(b) She weeps and makes a scene.
(c) She chats them up.
(d) She falls and claims to have injured her ankle.
3. Where does Sirka hide when the police come?
(a) In a trunk.
(b) In a cabinet.
(c) In a chest of drawers.
(d) In a potato sack.
4. Who does Julia meet at the Rainsferd house?
(a) Mrs. Rainsferd.
(b) The Rainsferd's daughter.
(c) The Rainsferd's nanny.
(d) Mr. Rainsferd.
5. What is Charla's relation to Bertrand?
6. Who are the Starzynskis?
(a) Sarah's grandparents.
(b) Sarah's family.
(c) Sarah's cousins.
(d) Sarah's neighbors.
7. How does Julia respond to Bamber's offer?
(a) She pours out pent-up emotion.
(b) She goes outside.
(c) She declines.
(d) She flees in tears.
8. Why are the DuFaures worried about Rachel?
(a) They are afraid the doctor called the police.
(b) They are afraid that Rachel will die.
(c) They are afraid that the infection will spread.
(d) They are afraid that Rachel's sickness is infectious.
9. Where is Sarah?
(a) Sarah separated from her husband and moved back to France.
(b) Sarah divorced Mr. Rainsferd and lives in L.A.
(c) Sarah died in 1972 in a car wreck.
(d) Sarah is traveling to the Middle East.
10. How does Gaspard DuFaure characterize Sarah?
(a) As happy.
(b) As preternaturally insightful.
(c) As unhappy.
(d) As depressed.
11. What does Julia tell Bertrand about the baby?
(a) The baby will bring them closer together.
(b) A baby was a surprise, but it can be just the thing they need.
(c) A baby is a blessing, and they should consider themselves lucky.
(d) If he can't have a baby with her, the marriage is over.
12. Where does Charla locate Mr. and Mrs. R. J. Rainsferd?
13. Who calls Julia to say that Mr. DuFaure would like to meet with her?
(c) Nathalie DuFaure.
14. What does Sarah find when she gets back to her apartment?
(a) The building is gone.
(b) People in the apartment won't let her in.
(c) The cubby is empty.
(d) Her brother's body.
15. What do Julia and Guillaume find at their destination?
(a) Ruins of the former camp.
(b) A memorial for deported Jews.
(c) The camp is now low-income housing.
(d) A national park at the camp.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say about children surviving the deportations and camps?
2. What hits home for Julia Jaramond when she sees a photo of Sarah?
3. Who is Gaspard DuFaure?
4. How does the letter describe Sarah's feelings about peace?
5. What does this information about Sarah inspire in Julia?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)