|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sirka/Sarah tell the DuFaures after Rachel was taken?
(a) That she will avenge Rachel's arrest.
(b) That they did the best they could.
(c) That they are bad people.
(d) That she is going to Paris.
2. What do the DuFaures try to do when the police come?
(a) Tell the police where other Jews are hiding.
(b) Get information from the police about the war.
(c) Prevent them taking Rachel.
(d) Find out whether they will be taken as well.
3. What does Bertrand say he's going through?
(a) Growing pains.
(b) A mid-life crisis.
(d) A painful transition.
4. What does Julia attend at rue Nélaton?
(a) A huge gathering of survivors and others.
(b) A mock trial.
(c) A memorial service.
(d) A film screening.
5. What does the narrator say about children surviving the deportations and camps?
(a) There were camps of runaway children surviving in the forests.
(b) They typically only survived until late autumn, if they ran away.
(c) Some survived, but not many.
(d) Almost all children were captured and sent to camps.
6. What does the narrator say about the awareness of the history Julia goes looking for?
(a) There are other places for remembering that history.
(b) Times have changed too much for it to be important any longer.
(c) People who know it don't talk about it.
(d) No one remembers it any more.
7. What hits home for Julia Jaramond when she sees a photo of Sarah?
(a) Sarah looks like her.
(b) Sarah is Zoe's age.
(c) Sarah looks like Zoe.
(d) She recognized Sarah.
8. How did Jules and Geneviève react when they stopped hearing from Sarah?
(a) They were relieved.
(b) They were heartbroken.
(c) They always thought she would show up again.
(d) They were confident in her.
9. What does Bertrand propose to Julia?
(a) Moving out.
(b) An abortion.
10. What does the curator at the Memorial Museum tell Julia?
(a) That this is the center of attempts to memorialize the war and the deportations.
(b) That there's no escaping the shadow of what happened there.
(c) That most people don't care what happened there.
(d) That interest in the history comes and goes in waves.
11. What does Bertrand tell Julia about having a child?
(a) He doesn't think they have the time or money for one.
(b) He wants one enormously.
(c) He can't handle it.
(d) He says that he's been having an affair.
12. What message did Bertrand get when he returned home?
(a) Sarah called to see who was looking for her.
(b) The doctor called to say that Julia had decided against the abortion.
(c) Zoe called to say that her mother had left for a trip.
(d) Julia called to say that she was leaving for New York.
13. What was Rachel too weak for?
(a) To open her eyes.
(b) To eat.
(c) To speak.
(d) To be carried downstairs.
14. How old was Sarah when the DuFaures lost track of her?
15. What does this information about Sarah inspire in Julia?
(a) A desire to get away from France.
(b) A desire to go to sleep.
(c) A desire to find Sarah.
(d) A desire to perform violent acts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Julia go to meet the person Mara Rainsferd gave her contact info for?
2. When does this person at the nursing home meet Sarah?
3. What does Julia tell Charla?
4. Where is Sarah?
5. What does the letter talk about?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)