|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Julia ask Franck Lévy about Sarah?
(a) Whether she could have survived.
(b) When she died.
(c) What he has heard from her.
(d) Where she is now.
2. Where do Julia and Guillaume make a trip to?
(c) Vel d'Hiv'.
3. What does Sarah find when she gets back to her apartment?
(a) The cubby is empty.
(b) The building is gone.
(c) Her brother's body.
(d) People in the apartment won't let her in.
4. Gaspard gives Julia a letter--who was it written to?
5. How does Julia respond to Bamber's offer?
(a) She declines.
(b) She pours out pent-up emotion.
(c) She flees in tears.
(d) She goes outside.
6. What does the narrator say is troubling Julia in addition to the story about Vel d'Hiv'?
(a) Her parents' health.
(b) Her pregnancy.
(c) Her health.
(d) Her marriage.
7. Where did Sarah go?
(c) The U.S.
8. How does Julia take this person's arrival at the nursing home?
(a) As a sign of contrition.
(b) As a sign of aggression.
(c) As a bad sign.
(d) As an opportunity to get new information.
9. What was Rachel too weak for?
(a) To open her eyes.
(b) To be carried downstairs.
(c) To eat.
(d) To speak.
10. What does Nathalie DuFaure tell Julia she found?
(a) Sarah's address.
(b) Sarah's phone number.
(c) Sarah's wedding announcement.
(d) Sarah's birth certificate.
11. How do the DuFaures respond to what Sarah tells them?
(a) They offer to take her themselves.
(b) They say that the times are bad.
(c) They say that it wasn't their crime, and they were powerless to prevent it.
(d) They say that they did the best they could.
12. What does Franck Lévy tell Julia Jaramond about the family at 26 rue de Saintonge in July 1942?
(a) That his memory is bad.
(b) That his information is not for publication.
(c) That he is still haunted by the people's cries.
(d) That he does not know who was there.
13. What does the curator at the Memorial Museum tell Julia?
(a) That most people don't care what happened there.
(b) That there's no escaping the shadow of what happened there.
(c) That interest in the history comes and goes in waves.
(d) That this is the center of attempts to memorialize the war and the deportations.
14. Who calls Julia to say that Mr. DuFaure would like to meet with her?
(a) Nathalie DuFaure.
15. What is Julia's interview like, with the person Mara Rainsferd put her in touch with?
(b) Awkward because of language differences.
(c) It keeps being postponed and ultimately never happened.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bertrand tell Julia about having a child?
2. What does Julia attend at rue Nélaton?
3. What does the narrator say about children surviving the deportations and camps?
4. What does Bertrand propose to Julia?
5. How does the letter describe Sarah's feelings about peace?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)