|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the people at the door tell the girl's mother to do?
(a) Arrest her.
(b) Warn her that the police are coming.
(c) Tell her to flee.
(d) Tell her to pack her things.
2. What is Beaune-la-Rolande?
(a) A prison.
(b) A holding camp.
(c) A ghetto.
(d) A concentration camp.
3. Who do the girl and her mother see in the street?
(a) Other Jews.
(b) Other immigrants.
(c) Other political refugees.
(d) Other professor's families.
4. What do the girl and Rachel take with them from Beaune-la-Rolande?
(a) Two other children.
(b) Food from the commissary.
(c) The names of other children there.
(d) Money from the red-haired policeman.
5. Why is the girl angry with her father?
(a) She resents his powerlessness.
(b) She thinks he is preparing to abandon her.
(c) She wants him to fight for her.
(d) She doesn't think he cares about her brother.
6. What does the girl do to take care of the other children?
(a) Tells stories.
(b) Finds food.
(c) Invents games.
(d) Steals from the guards.
7. What does the neighbor say as the girl and her mother leave?
(a) She tells them that everything will be fine.
(b) She objects to their treatment.
(c) She threatens them.
(d) She curses at them.
8. What is Bertrand's attitude toward Julia?
9. Who proposes to escape?
(a) The girl.
10. How does the mother change at Beaune-la-Rolande?
(a) She gets sick and weak.
(b) She becomes a shell of her former self.
(c) She collapses from within.
(d) She gets fierce.
11. What do the people do when the orders come?
(a) They resist.
(b) They comply.
(c) They riot.
(d) They hide.
12. How does the girl change at Beaune-la-Rolande?
(a) She becomes fierce.
(b) She gets sick and becomes weak.
(c) She hardens.
(d) She becomes placid.
13. How does the narrator describe the conditions at Beaune-la-Rolande?
14. What is the girl's father's occupation?
(a) Factory foreman.
15. Why is Julia Jaramond looking forward to taking over Mame Tézac's apartment?
(a) She will be closer to the center of the city.
(b) She will have a servant.
(c) She will have an office.
(d) She will be in charge of redecorating.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the girl think this predicament has to do with?
2. What does the girl say is clear from the Doctor's demeanor when he comes to treat Rachel?
3. What do the police tell the people?
4. What promise does the girl make to her brother?
5. What do the parents tell the girl?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)