|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the girl and Rachel take with them from Beaune-la-Rolande?
(a) Food from the commissary.
(b) Two other children.
(c) The names of other children there.
(d) Money from the red-haired policeman.
2. What does the concierge tell the police?
(a) To go to Hell.
(b) That the girl and her mother are not Jewish.
(c) Where to find other Jews.
(d) To treat the girl and her mother well.
3. What was Vélodrome d' Hiver before it was a holding site for Jews?
(a) A stadium.
(b) A campground.
(c) A ghetto.
(d) A race track.
4. What are the people ordered to do?
(a) Register with the authorities.
(b) Leave their things and get on trains.
(c) Line up for inspection.
(d) Take their things to the entrance.
5. When does the girl think she will see the boy again?
(a) At the end of the war.
(b) That night.
(c) Within a few days.
6. What does the girl think this predicament has to do with?
(a) The Germans.
(b) Their religion.
(c) The economy.
(d) The yellow stars on their clothes.
7. What does the girl say is clear from the Doctor's demeanor when he comes to treat Rachel?
(a) He would not take care of a refugee.
(b) He will report them as Jews.
(c) He would not betray the girls' location.
(d) He was helping as many people as he could.
8. Where does the girl's parents' fear come from?
(a) The economy.
(b) The aerial bombs.
(c) The fascists.
(d) The Germans.
9. How old is the girl's brother?
10. How does the mother change at Beaune-la-Rolande?
(a) She becomes a shell of her former self.
(b) She collapses from within.
(c) She gets fierce.
(d) She gets sick and weak.
11. Who do the girl and her mother see in the street?
(a) Other Jews.
(b) Other professor's families.
(c) Other immigrants.
(d) Other political refugees.
12. What is Bertrand's reaction when Julia tells him about her pregnancy?
(a) He is thrilled.
(b) He tells her to abort it.
(c) He leaves her.
(d) He is unhappy about it.
13. What do the people at the door tell the girl's mother to do?
(a) Warn her that the police are coming.
(b) Arrest her.
(c) Tell her to flee.
(d) Tell her to pack her things.
14. What condition does the narrator say the people are in?
15. What makes Julia worry when she gets pregnant?
(a) Genetic conditions that ran in her family.
(b) Her miscarriages.
(c) The idea that her children would be Jewish and therefore persecuted.
(d) Bertrand's infidelities.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the girls during the escape?
2. What is Beaune-la-Rolande?
3. What does the father do when the girl falls ill?
4. How does the narrator describe the conditions at Beaune-la-Rolande?
5. What does the narrator say the girl thinks about at her new location?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)