|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the girls during the escape?
(a) They have to kill a guard.
(b) They are caught and sent back.
(c) The red-haired policeman catches them.
(d) They get out without any incidents.
2. What do the police tell the people?
(a) That they will be killed.
(b) That they will be sent to work camps.
(c) That they will be sent home soon.
(d) That they have to wait for orders.
3. What do the people do when the orders come?
(a) They riot.
(b) They comply.
(c) They hide.
(d) They resist.
4. How does the narrator describe the conditions at Beaune-la-Rolande?
5. What are the people ordered to do?
(a) Line up for inspection.
(b) Leave their things and get on trains.
(c) Take their things to the entrance.
(d) Register with the authorities.
6. Where do the police believe the boy is?
(b) The country.
(c) A neighbor's house.
(d) The cubby hole.
7. How does the narrator explain the fact that Bamber did not know anything about Vel d'Hiv'?
(a) She was not Jewish.
(b) She was British.
(c) She was old.
(d) She was young.
8. What do the parents tell the girl?
(a) That they will get the boy that night.
(b) That the boy will die.
(c) That they are not going home.
(d) That the neighbors will find the boy.
9. Who is at the door when there is a knock?
(a) The girl's cousin.
(b) A neighbor.
(c) German police.
(d) French police.
10. How old is the girl?
11. What does the father do when the girl falls ill?
(a) Buys her medicine.
(b) Abandons her.
(c) Takes her to a doctor.
(d) Comforts her.
12. What does the narrator say the girl thinks about at her new location?
(a) Why she has to wear a yellow star.
(b) When she will eat.
(c) Where her friends are.
(d) How her brother will escape from the cubby.
13. How does the narrator describe the red-haired policeman's demeanor when the girl sees him at Beaune-la-Rolande?
14. What is the girls doing at the beginning of the novel?
(a) Eavesdropping on her parents.
(b) Being deported to a concentration camp.
(c) Hiding in a basement.
(d) Fleeing from Paris.
15. What does Bertrand tell Julia when she becomes upset about his mother's apartment?
(a) To calm down.
(b) That he knows about the cubby-hole.
(c) That it had been completely gutted.
(d) That she is imagining things.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the girl's mother's reaction to this?
2. Why is the girl angry with her father?
3. What was Vélodrome d' Hiver before it was a holding site for Jews?
4. How did the restrictions affect the girl?
5. What is stamped on the family's identity cards?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)