|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rachel become sick with?
(b) Scarlet fever.
2. How old is the girl's brother?
3. What does Bertrand tell Julia when she becomes upset about his mother's apartment?
(a) That he knows about the cubby-hole.
(b) To calm down.
(c) That it had been completely gutted.
(d) That she is imagining things.
4. What is the girl's name?
5. What does the girl say is clear from the Doctor's demeanor when he comes to treat Rachel?
(a) He will report them as Jews.
(b) He was helping as many people as he could.
(c) He would not betray the girls' location.
(d) He would not take care of a refugee.
6. Who proposes to escape?
(b) The girl.
7. What language are the girl's parent's speaking?
8. What kind of food and drink did the girl and her mother find at their new location?
9. What makes Julia worry when she gets pregnant?
(a) Bertrand's infidelities.
(b) Genetic conditions that ran in her family.
(c) Her miscarriages.
(d) The idea that her children would be Jewish and therefore persecuted.
10. How did the restrictions affect the girl?
(a) She could not leave the house.
(b) She was beaten regularly.
(c) She was forced to work long hours cleaning the sidewalks.
(d) She could not play in the park.
11. Who do the girl and her mother see in the street?
(a) Other political refugees.
(b) Other Jews.
(c) Other immigrants.
(d) Other professor's families.
12. What are the people ordered to do?
(a) Register with the authorities.
(b) Line up for inspection.
(c) Take their things to the entrance.
(d) Leave their things and get on trains.
13. What does the concierge tell the police?
(a) That the girl and her mother are not Jewish.
(b) Where to find other Jews.
(c) To treat the girl and her mother well.
(d) To go to Hell.
14. Where does the girl's parents' fear come from?
(a) The Germans.
(b) The economy.
(c) The fascists.
(d) The aerial bombs.
15. How does the mother change at Beaune-la-Rolande?
(a) She becomes a shell of her former self.
(b) She gets sick and weak.
(c) She collapses from within.
(d) She gets fierce.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the neighbor say as the girl and her mother leave?
2. How long had the girl been at this new location before she became ill?
3. How does the girl change at Beaune-la-Rolande?
4. What does the plaque at Vel d'Hiv' tell passersby?
5. What do the parents tell the girl?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)