|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the police believe the boy is?
(a) The country.
(b) The cubby hole.
(d) A neighbor's house.
2. What was Vélodrome d' Hiver before it was a holding site for Jews?
(a) A stadium.
(b) A campground.
(c) A race track.
(d) A ghetto.
3. How long had the girl been at this new location before she became ill?
(c) She didn't know.
4. What is the girl's name?
5. What do the girl and Rachel take with them from Beaune-la-Rolande?
(a) Two other children.
(b) Food from the commissary.
(c) Money from the red-haired policeman.
(d) The names of other children there.
6. What does Julia know instinctively about Mame Tézac's apartment?
(a) It had belonged to Jews.
(b) It was haunted.
(c) It was where her aunt had locked away her brother.
(d) It was going to be very expensive to restore.
7. What does the neighbor say as the girl and her mother leave?
(a) She threatens them.
(b) She tells them that everything will be fine.
(c) She curses at them.
(d) She objects to their treatment.
8. What does the concierge tell the police?
(a) That the girl and her mother are not Jewish.
(b) Where to find other Jews.
(c) To treat the girl and her mother well.
(d) To go to Hell.
9. What is the girl's father's occupation?
(d) Factory foreman.
10. How does the narrator describe the red-haired policeman's demeanor when the girl sees him at Beaune-la-Rolande?
11. What does the concierge do as the girl and her mother leave the building?
12. When does the girl think she will see the boy again?
(a) At the end of the war.
(b) Within a few days.
(c) That night.
13. What does the plaque at Vel d'Hiv' tell passersby?
(a) Never forget.
(b) Never let this site be built on.
(c) Never let this happen again.
(d) Never let the Germans forget.
14. Who proposes to escape?
(d) The girl.
15. What makes Julia worry when she gets pregnant?
(a) Genetic conditions that ran in her family.
(b) Bertrand's infidelities.
(c) Her miscarriages.
(d) The idea that her children would be Jewish and therefore persecuted.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bertrand's attitude toward Julia?
2. What does the father do when the girl falls ill?
3. What promise does the girl make to her brother?
4. How did the restrictions affect the girl?
5. Where does the girl's father spend time when he is not working?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)