|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the girl's parents react when they hear about the boy?
(a) They both pass out.
(b) They are relieved.
(c) They start a fight, and are beaten.
(d) They are horrified.
2. What does the father do when the girl and her mother are leaving?
(a) Shoots at the police.
(b) Calls the neighbors for help.
(c) Fights with the police.
(d) Emerges from hiding.
3. What do the girl and Rachel take with them from Beaune-la-Rolande?
(a) Food from the commissary.
(b) Two other children.
(c) Money from the red-haired policeman.
(d) The names of other children there.
4. What are the people ordered to do?
(a) Leave their things and get on trains.
(b) Register with the authorities.
(c) Line up for inspection.
(d) Take their things to the entrance.
5. What promise does the girl make to her brother?
(a) To be back as soon as possible.
(b) To take care of him.
(c) To come back that evening.
(d) Never to forget him.
6. How did the restrictions affect the girl?
(a) She was forced to work long hours cleaning the sidewalks.
(b) She could not leave the house.
(c) She was beaten regularly.
(d) She could not play in the park.
7. What was Vélodrome d' Hiver before it was a holding site for Jews?
(a) A ghetto.
(b) A race track.
(c) A stadium.
(d) A campground.
8. What does the neighbor say as the girl and her mother leave?
(a) She objects to their treatment.
(b) She threatens them.
(c) She curses at them.
(d) She tells them that everything will be fine.
9. Where does the girl's parents' fear come from?
(a) The aerial bombs.
(b) The fascists.
(c) The economy.
(d) The Germans.
10. What does the mother tell the girl?
(a) To get her coat and get ready to go.
(b) To run.
(c) To pack her things.
(d) To get her brother and pack some things for him.
11. How does the narrator describe the red-haired policeman's demeanor when the girl sees him at Beaune-la-Rolande?
12. What is Mame Tézac suffering?
(a) Multiple sclerosis.
13. How did the police react when the mother objected to going?
(a) They let her stay.
(b) They pushed her along.
(c) They beat her.
(d) They gave her more time.
14. What language are the girl's parent's speaking?
15. What do the people at the door tell the girl's mother to do?
(a) Warn her that the police are coming.
(b) Tell her to pack her things.
(c) Arrest her.
(d) Tell her to flee.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bertrand tell Julia when she becomes upset about his mother's apartment?
2. What does the plaque at Vel d'Hiv' tell passersby?
3. What kind of food and drink did the girl and her mother find at their new location?
4. Why is the girl angry with her father?
5. What do the police take from the women at Beaune-la-Rolande?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)