|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Julia worry when she gets pregnant?
(a) Her miscarriages.
(b) Bertrand's infidelities.
(c) The idea that her children would be Jewish and therefore persecuted.
(d) Genetic conditions that ran in her family.
2. Where do the police believe the boy is?
(a) The cubby hole.
(b) The country.
(d) A neighbor's house.
3. What do the police tell the people?
(a) That they will be sent home soon.
(b) That they have to wait for orders.
(c) That they will be sent to work camps.
(d) That they will be killed.
4. What is the girl's name?
5. What is the girl's father's occupation?
(d) Factory foreman.
6. What is stamped on the family's identity cards?
7. What promise does the girl make to her brother?
(a) Never to forget him.
(b) To come back that evening.
(c) To take care of him.
(d) To be back as soon as possible.
8. Who proposes to escape?
(a) The girl.
9. What does the neighbor say as the girl and her mother leave?
(a) She curses at them.
(b) She threatens them.
(c) She tells them that everything will be fine.
(d) She objects to their treatment.
10. What do the girl and Rachel take with them from Beaune-la-Rolande?
(a) The names of other children there.
(b) Money from the red-haired policeman.
(c) Food from the commissary.
(d) Two other children.
11. What do the people at the door tell the girl's mother to do?
(a) Tell her to flee.
(b) Warn her that the police are coming.
(c) Tell her to pack her things.
(d) Arrest her.
12. How did the police react when the mother objected to going?
(a) They let her stay.
(b) They pushed her along.
(c) They gave her more time.
(d) They beat her.
13. What does the plaque at Vel d'Hiv' tell passersby?
(a) Never let the Germans forget.
(b) Never let this happen again.
(c) Never forget.
(d) Never let this site be built on.
14. Who do the girl and her mother see in the street?
(a) Other Jews.
(b) Other professor's families.
(c) Other immigrants.
(d) Other political refugees.
15. What condition does the narrator say the people are in?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Julia Jaramond looking forward to taking over Mame Tézac's apartment?
2. What does the girl do to take care of the other children?
3. How long had the girl been at this new location before she became ill?
4. How old is the girl's brother?
5. How is the family transported away from their neighborhood?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)