|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the queen in "Phaedra's Love"?
2. What is Ian drinking in the opening of Scene 2 of "Blasted"?
3. What does Cate do after fainting in "Blasted"?
4. What has the crowd gathered to do in Scene 8 of "Phaedra's Love"?
5. Who does Ian ask Cate to find in Scene 4 of "Blasted"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conversation takes place between Ian and Cate when they first arrive at the hotel in "Blasted"?
2. What elements of the setting are revealed in greater detail in Scene 2 of "Blasted"?
3. Where is the opening of "Cleansed" set? Who is in the first scene?
4. How does Tinker's character evolve in "Cleansed"? What is his central objective?
5. Describe the dynamic between Ian and Cate in Scene 1 of "Blasted." How are these characters different?
6. What is the setting of "Blasted"? What characters enter in Scene 1?
7. What does Strophe tell Hippolytus when she enters in Scene 5 of "Phaedra's Love"? What is his response?
8. What is Sarah Kane's purpose in showing such graphic violence in "Blasted"?
9. Describe the setting of "Phaedra's Love". Upon what play is the story based?
10. How many works are included in Sarah Kane: Complete Plays? What themes tie the works together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the plot structure of "Blasted". Who is the protagonist of the play? How is this indicated?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of impossibility of human connection in "Crave". How is this theme reflected in the other works in the anthology?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Strophe and Hippolytus in "Phaedra's Love". Is this element reflected in Seneca's play?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)