|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hippolytus doing while watching watching television in Scene 1 of "Phaedra's Love"?
2. Where is the hotel room in which "Blasted" takes place?
3. How old is Robin in "Cleansed"?
4. Where does Scene 4 of "Cleansed" take place?
5. When was Sarah Kane born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Phaedra consult a doctor about Hippolytus in Scene 2 of "Phaedra's Love"?
2. What aspects of Ian's personality are revealed in Scene 2 of "Blasted"?
3. What is the central theme of "Phaedra's Love"?
4. Describe the dynamic between Ian and Cate in Scene 1 of "Blasted." How are these characters different?
5. Who breaks into the hotel room in Scene 2 of "Blasted"? What does he do?
6. How many works are included in Sarah Kane: Complete Plays? What themes tie the works together?
7. Where is the opening of "Cleansed" set? Who is in the first scene?
8. How does Ian restrain Cate in the room in Scene 2 of "Blasted"? What does he say to make her stay?
9. What is Hippolytus doing in the beginning of Scene 4 of "Phaedra's Love"? What does Phaedra enter with?
10. Who visits Hippolytus in Scene 6 of "Phaedra's Love"? What does Hippolytus tell him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting and physical elements of "Crave". What does the author write by way of stage directions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the life and career of Sarah Kane. How many plays of Kane's were produced during her lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "self-inflicted pain" and the actions of Hippolytus in Scenes 6 and 7 of "Phaedra's Love". In what way does Hippolytus seek his own demise?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)