|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the soldier say raped and murdered his girlfriend?
2. Where was "Blasted" first performed?
3. What does the soldier do with Ian's gun in Scene 3 of "Blasted"?
4. Who is the prince in "Phaedra's Love"?
5. What does Ian do for Cate when she is aching in Scene 2 of "Blasted"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who visits Hippolytus in Scene 6 of "Phaedra's Love"? What does Hippolytus tell him?
2. What is Ian's response when the soldier asks him to report his stories? What does the soldier then do?
3. What does Strophe reveal happened to Phaedra in Scene 5 of "Phaedra's Love"? How does Hippolytus respond?
4. Why does Phaedra consult a doctor about Hippolytus in Scene 2 of "Phaedra's Love"?
5. What does Cate do while Ian is in the bathroom in Scene 2 of "Blasted"?
6. What does Strophe do when she discovers who Phaedra is infatuated with in "Phaedra's Love"?
7. What is Hippolytus doing in the beginning of Scene 4 of "Phaedra's Love"? What does Phaedra enter with?
8. Where is the opening of "Cleansed" set? Who is in the first scene?
9. How does Tinker's character evolve in "Cleansed"? What is his central objective?
10. What takes place in the opening of Scene 2 of "Blasted"? How much time elapsed from Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Cate in "Blasted". What is Cate's objective in coming to the hotel with Ian? How old is she?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of impossibility of human connection in "Crave". How is this theme reflected in the other works in the anthology?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "self-inflicted pain" and the actions of Hippolytus in Scenes 6 and 7 of "Phaedra's Love". In what way does Hippolytus seek his own demise?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)