|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Ian's eyes in "Blasted"?
2. When Hippolytus emerges in Scene 8 of "Phaedra's Love", Theseus kisses him and does what?
3. What does Strophe tell Hippolytus that Phaedra has accused him of in Scene 5 of "Phaedra's Love"?
4. Where does Scene 8 of "Phaedra's Love" take place?
5. What does the soldier do after taking Ian's gun in Scene 2 of "Blasted"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the dynamic between Ian and Cate in Scene 1 of "Blasted." How are these characters different?
2. What do Carl and Rod represent symbolically in "Cleansed"?
3. What does Strophe tell Hippolytus when she enters in Scene 5 of "Phaedra's Love"? What is his response?
4. What conversation takes place between Ian and Cate when they first arrive at the hotel in "Blasted"?
5. What elements of the setting are revealed in greater detail in Scene 2 of "Blasted"?
6. Who visits Hippolytus in Scene 6 of "Phaedra's Love"? What does Hippolytus tell him?
7. How does Tinker's character evolve in "Cleansed"? What is his central objective?
8. How does Hippolytus take on the role of protagonist in "Phaedra's Love"?
9. How does Ian restrain Cate in the room in Scene 2 of "Blasted"? What does he say to make her stay?
10. Who does Grace meet with in Scene 3 of "Cleansed"? Where do they meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Seneca's play Phaedra and the character of Hippolytus. How is Hippolytus described in Seneca's play? How does he differ in "Phaedra's Love"?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Cate in "Blasted". What is Cate's objective in coming to the hotel with Ian? How old is she?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of mutilation in the play "Cleansed". How does this theme relate to the other plays in the anthology?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)