|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the boyfriend Cate claims to have in "Blasted"?
2. Who does Ian ask Cate to find in Scene 4 of "Blasted"?
3. What does Cate do after fainting in "Blasted"?
4. When did the Bosnian War end?
5. What does the soldier do after taking Ian's gun in Scene 2 of "Blasted"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is the opening of "Cleansed" set? Who is in the first scene?
2. What do Carl and Rod represent symbolically in "Cleansed"?
3. What is the focus of "Blasted" following the soldier's suicide?
4. Why does Phaedra consult a doctor about Hippolytus in Scene 2 of "Phaedra's Love"?
5. Discuss the staging of "Phaedra's Love." What elements would make staging difficult?
6. What does Cate do while Ian is in the bathroom in Scene 2 of "Blasted"?
7. What is Sarah Kane's purpose in showing such graphic violence in "Blasted"?
8. What does the public want to do to Hippolytus in Scene 5 of "Phaedra's Love"? What does Hippolytus reveal to Strophe?
9. Describe the setting at the beginning of Scene 3 of "Blasted." What does the soldier ask Ian?
10. How does Hippolytus take on the role of protagonist in "Phaedra's Love"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Strophe and Hippolytus in "Phaedra's Love". Is this element reflected in Seneca's play?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the characters of Phaedra and Strophe in "Phaedra's Love". What is Phaedra's objective in the play? What obstacles does she face?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of sexual violence in "Blasted". In what other plays in the anthology does this theme take a central role?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)