|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cate do after fainting in "Blasted"?
2. What does Ian toss onto the bed before going to the bathroom in Scene 2 of "Blasted"?
3. When did the Bosnian War end?
4. What season is it in Scene 2 of "Cleansed"?
5. Who are amongst the crowd in disguise in Scene 8 of "Phaedra's Love"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is the opening of "Cleansed" set? Who is in the first scene?
2. What does the public want to do to Hippolytus in Scene 5 of "Phaedra's Love"? What does Hippolytus reveal to Strophe?
3. What is Ian's response when the soldier asks him to report his stories? What does the soldier then do?
4. Who does Grace meet with in Scene 3 of "Cleansed"? Where do they meet?
5. What is the focus of "Blasted" following the soldier's suicide?
6. Describe the dynamic between Ian and Cate in Scene 1 of "Blasted." How are these characters different?
7. What is the symbolic and thematic center of "Cleansed"?
8. What does Phaedra tell Hippolytus in Scene 4 of "Phaedra's Love"? What is his response?
9. What aspects of Ian's personality are revealed in Scene 2 of "Blasted"?
10. What does Strophe tell Hippolytus when she enters in Scene 5 of "Phaedra's Love"? What is his response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolic meaning of the soldier in "Blasted". How does he represent sexual violence in the piece? What was the public reaction to this violence?
Essay Topic 2
Define the literary and dramatic terms "objective," "obstacle," "action," and "conflict." How do each of these apply in Scene 2 in "Blasted"?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "self-inflicted pain" and the actions of Hippolytus in Scenes 6 and 7 of "Phaedra's Love". In what way does Hippolytus seek his own demise?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)