|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Scene 2 of "Blasted", Ian attempts to hide Cate from the soldier, but the soldier says he can smell what?
2. Who rapes and kills Strophe in Scene 8 of "Phaedra's Love"?
3. What does Ian do after he and Cate arrive at the hotel in "Blasted"?
4. In Scene 8 of "Phaedra's Love", Theseus riles the crowd by suggesting that Hippolytus may be what?
5. How old is Robin in "Cleansed"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is the opening of "Cleansed" set? Who is in the first scene?
2. What does the public want to do to Hippolytus in Scene 5 of "Phaedra's Love"? What does Hippolytus reveal to Strophe?
3. How does Hippolytus take on the role of protagonist in "Phaedra's Love"?
4. Who does Grace meet with in Scene 3 of "Cleansed"? Where do they meet?
5. How does Tinker's character evolve in "Cleansed"? What is his central objective?
6. What is the symbolic and thematic center of "Cleansed"?
7. Describe the setting of "Phaedra's Love". Upon what play is the story based?
8. Who breaks into the hotel room in Scene 2 of "Blasted"? What does he do?
9. Describe the dynamic between Ian and Cate in Scene 1 of "Blasted." How are these characters different?
10. How many works are included in Sarah Kane: Complete Plays? What themes tie the works together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting and physical elements of "Crave". What does the author write by way of stage directions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "self-inflicted pain" and the actions of Hippolytus in Scenes 6 and 7 of "Phaedra's Love". In what way does Hippolytus seek his own demise?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the characters of Phaedra and Strophe in "Phaedra's Love". What is Phaedra's objective in the play? What obstacles does she face?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)