|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hippolytus tell Phaedra will happen if they sleep together in Scene 4 of "Phaedra's Love"?
2. What is Ian drinking in the opening of Scene 2 of "Blasted"?
3. Who is a violent racist tabloid reporter in "Blasted"?
4. Hippolytus asks Phaedra when the last time she did what in Scene 4 of "Phaedra's Love"?
5. Who is the queen in "Phaedra's Love"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place in the opening of Scene 2 of "Blasted"? How much time elapsed from Scene 1?
2. What is Sarah Kane's purpose in showing such graphic violence in "Blasted"?
3. How is Ian's job illustrated in Scene 1 of "Blasted"? What history between Ian and Cate is revealed through exposition?
4. What is the symbolic and thematic center of "Cleansed"?
5. What are Carl and Rod discussing in Scene 2 of "Cleansed"?
6. What is the central theme of "Phaedra's Love"?
7. Where is the opening of "Cleansed" set? Who is in the first scene?
8. What elements of the setting are revealed in greater detail in Scene 2 of "Blasted"?
9. What is the focus of "Blasted" following the soldier's suicide?
10. How many works are included in Sarah Kane: Complete Plays? What themes tie the works together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Seneca's play Phaedra and the character of Hippolytus. How is Hippolytus described in Seneca's play? How does he differ in "Phaedra's Love"?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of sexual desire in "Phaedra's Love". How is the theme of love perverted by Kane?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the life and career of Sarah Kane. How many plays of Kane's were produced during her lifetime?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)