|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Strophe says that she would die for what in Scene 5 of "Phaedra's Love"?
2. Who rapes and kills Strophe in Scene 8 of "Phaedra's Love"?
3. Who deduces that Phaedra is in love with Hippolytus in Scene 3 of "Phaedra's Love"?
4. How is Phaedra related to Hippoytus in "Phaedra's Love"?
5. What happens to Ian's eyes in "Blasted"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the public want to do to Hippolytus in Scene 5 of "Phaedra's Love"? What does Hippolytus reveal to Strophe?
2. How is Ian's job illustrated in Scene 1 of "Blasted"? What history between Ian and Cate is revealed through exposition?
3. What does Cate do while Ian is in the bathroom in Scene 2 of "Blasted"?
4. What is the setting of "Blasted"? What characters enter in Scene 1?
5. Describe the setting at the beginning of Scene 3 of "Blasted." What does the soldier ask Ian?
6. What is the symbolic and thematic center of "Cleansed"?
7. What are Carl and Rod discussing in Scene 2 of "Cleansed"?
8. What is Ian's principle objective in Scene 1 of "Blasted"? What tactics does he employ?
9. In what way does the soldier torture Ian after raping him in Scene 3 of "Blasted"?
10. What is the focus of "Blasted" following the soldier's suicide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of impossibility of human connection in "Crave". How is this theme reflected in the other works in the anthology?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Seneca's play Phaedra and the character of Hippolytus. How is Hippolytus described in Seneca's play? How does he differ in "Phaedra's Love"?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the life and career of Sarah Kane. How many plays of Kane's were produced during her lifetime?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)