|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hippolytus examining in the opening of Scene 5 of "Phaedra's Love"?
2. How many plays did Sarah Kane complete in her lifetime?
3. When talking to the soldier in Scene 3 of "Blasted", Ian claims not to be English but what?
4. What does the soldier do after taking Ian's gun in Scene 2 of "Blasted"?
5. How did Sarah Kane die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hippolytus doing in the beginning of Scene 4 of "Phaedra's Love"? What does Phaedra enter with?
2. What is Sarah Kane's purpose in showing such graphic violence in "Blasted"?
3. How is Ian's job illustrated in Scene 1 of "Blasted"? What history between Ian and Cate is revealed through exposition?
4. How does Hippolytus take on the role of protagonist in "Phaedra's Love"?
5. Where is the opening of "Cleansed" set? Who is in the first scene?
6. What takes place in the opening of Scene 2 of "Blasted"? How much time elapsed from Scene 1?
7. What is the focus of "Blasted" following the soldier's suicide?
8. What does Strophe do when she discovers who Phaedra is infatuated with in "Phaedra's Love"?
9. What is the setting of "Blasted"? What characters enter in Scene 1?
10. What is Ian's principle objective in Scene 1 of "Blasted"? What tactics does he employ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of "Cleansed" and the character of Tinker. How is the setting revealed? Through exposition or through visual elements?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of mutilation in the play "Cleansed". How does this theme relate to the other plays in the anthology?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting and physical elements of "Crave". What does the author write by way of stage directions?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)