|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the soldier do with Ian's gun in Scene 3 of "Blasted"?
2. What does Ian toss onto the bed before going to the bathroom in Scene 2 of "Blasted"?
3. In Scene 3 of "Blasted", the soldier tells a story of raping all the women in a civilian family before doing what?
4. Who are amongst the crowd in disguise in Scene 8 of "Phaedra's Love"?
5. What does Ian eat before dying in Scene 5 of "Blasted"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Strophe tell Hippolytus when she enters in Scene 5 of "Phaedra's Love"? What is his response?
2. Describe the dynamic between Ian and Cate in Scene 1 of "Blasted." How are these characters different?
3. Describe the setting of "Phaedra's Love". Upon what play is the story based?
4. How many works are included in Sarah Kane: Complete Plays? What themes tie the works together?
5. How does Tinker's character evolve in "Cleansed"? What is his central objective?
6. How does Hippolytus take on the role of protagonist in "Phaedra's Love"?
7. How does the soldier describe his girlfriend's death in Scene 3 of "Blasted"?
8. What do Carl and Rod represent symbolically in "Cleansed"?
9. What does Strophe reveal happened to Phaedra in Scene 5 of "Phaedra's Love"? How does Hippolytus respond?
10. What elements of the setting are revealed in greater detail in Scene 2 of "Blasted"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of impossibility of human connection in "Crave". How is this theme reflected in the other works in the anthology?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "self-inflicted pain" and the actions of Hippolytus in Scenes 6 and 7 of "Phaedra's Love". In what way does Hippolytus seek his own demise?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolic meaning of the soldier in "Blasted". How does he represent sexual violence in the piece? What was the public reaction to this violence?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)