|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Scene 8 of "Phaedra's Love" take place?
2. Where was "Blasted" first performed?
3. What does Tinker tell Grace the university did with Graham's clothing after he died in Scene 3 of "Cleansed"?
4. What sexually transmitted disease does Hippolytus tell Phaedra he has in "Phaedra's Love"?
5. Where does Scene 3 of "Cleansed" take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Sarah Kane's purpose in showing such graphic violence in "Blasted"?
2. What is Ian's response when the soldier asks him to report his stories? What does the soldier then do?
3. Why does Phaedra consult a doctor about Hippolytus in Scene 2 of "Phaedra's Love"?
4. What does Strophe tell Hippolytus when she enters in Scene 5 of "Phaedra's Love"? What is his response?
5. Discuss the staging of "Phaedra's Love." What elements would make staging difficult?
6. What does Cate do while Ian is in the bathroom in Scene 2 of "Blasted"?
7. How does Tinker's character evolve in "Cleansed"? What is his central objective?
8. What is the symbolic and thematic center of "Cleansed"?
9. What takes place in the opening of Scene 2 of "Blasted"? How much time elapsed from Scene 1?
10. What is Hippolytus doing in the beginning of Scene 4 of "Phaedra's Love"? What does Phaedra enter with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Strophe and Hippolytus in "Phaedra's Love". Is this element reflected in Seneca's play?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the plot structure of "Blasted". Who is the protagonist of the play? How is this indicated?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Seneca's play Phaedra and the character of Hippolytus. How is Hippolytus described in Seneca's play? How does he differ in "Phaedra's Love"?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)