|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ian eat before dying in Scene 5 of "Blasted"?
2. In Scene 2 of "Blasted", Ian attempts to hide Cate from the soldier, but the soldier says he can smell what?
3. Grace is whose twin sister in "Cleansed"?
4. What does the doctor say Hippolytus needs to do in Scene 2 of "Phaedra's Love"?
5. Who does the soldier say raped and murdered his girlfriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Carl and Rod represent symbolically in "Cleansed"?
2. What does Cate do while Ian is in the bathroom in Scene 2 of "Blasted"?
3. What aspects of Ian's personality are revealed in Scene 2 of "Blasted"?
4. How does Ian restrain Cate in the room in Scene 2 of "Blasted"? What does he say to make her stay?
5. What is Ian's principle objective in Scene 1 of "Blasted"? What tactics does he employ?
6. What does Phaedra tell Hippolytus in Scene 4 of "Phaedra's Love"? What is his response?
7. Who visits Hippolytus in Scene 6 of "Phaedra's Love"? What does Hippolytus tell him?
8. Discuss the staging of "Phaedra's Love." What elements would make staging difficult?
9. What conversation takes place between Ian and Cate when they first arrive at the hotel in "Blasted"?
10. What is the symbolic and thematic center of "Cleansed"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Strophe and Hippolytus in "Phaedra's Love". Is this element reflected in Seneca's play?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Grace in "Cleansed". What characters in the other plays of the anthology is Grace comparable to? How?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of impossibility of human connection in "Crave". How is this theme reflected in the other works in the anthology?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)