|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who deduces that Phaedra is in love with Hippolytus in Scene 3 of "Phaedra's Love"?
2. What does Cate tell Ian is not the end of the world in Scene 4 of "Blasted"?
3. What is Hippolytus doing while watching watching television in Scene 1 of "Phaedra's Love"?
4. Who is a drug dealer and doctor, and he is the commander of the university and concentration camp in "Cleansed"?
5. What has the crowd gathered to do in Scene 8 of "Phaedra's Love"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What aspects of Ian's personality are revealed in Scene 2 of "Blasted"?
2. What does Phaedra tell Hippolytus in Scene 4 of "Phaedra's Love"? What is his response?
3. What takes place in the opening of Scene 2 of "Blasted"? How much time elapsed from Scene 1?
4. What does Strophe reveal happened to Phaedra in Scene 5 of "Phaedra's Love"? How does Hippolytus respond?
5. What are Carl and Rod discussing in Scene 2 of "Cleansed"?
6. What conversation takes place between Ian and Cate when they first arrive at the hotel in "Blasted"?
7. How does the soldier describe his girlfriend's death in Scene 3 of "Blasted"?
8. How does Hippolytus take on the role of protagonist in "Phaedra's Love"?
9. How does Ian restrain Cate in the room in Scene 2 of "Blasted"? What does he say to make her stay?
10. What does Strophe do when she discovers who Phaedra is infatuated with in "Phaedra's Love"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "self-inflicted pain" and the actions of Hippolytus in Scenes 6 and 7 of "Phaedra's Love". In what way does Hippolytus seek his own demise?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the characters of Phaedra and Strophe in "Phaedra's Love". What is Phaedra's objective in the play? What obstacles does she face?
Essay Topic 3
Define the literary and dramatic terms "objective," "obstacle," "action," and "conflict." How do each of these apply in Scene 2 in "Blasted"?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)