|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the soldier do after taking Ian's gun in Scene 2 of "Blasted"?
2. What refers to a type of journalism that presents little or no legitimate well-researched news and instead uses eye-catching headlines to sell more newspapers?
3. Ian says in Scene 2 of "Blasted" that who kills children like Cate's brother?
4. Why does Phaedra seek a doctor regarding Hippolytus in "Phaedra's Love"?
5. When did the Bosnian War end?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting of "Phaedra's Love". Upon what play is the story based?
2. What is the central theme of "Phaedra's Love"?
3. What is the focus of "Blasted" following the soldier's suicide?
4. Discuss the staging of "Phaedra's Love." What elements would make staging difficult?
5. What aspects of Ian's personality are revealed in Scene 2 of "Blasted"?
6. How does Hippolytus take on the role of protagonist in "Phaedra's Love"?
7. What conversation takes place between Ian and Cate when they first arrive at the hotel in "Blasted"?
8. Who breaks into the hotel room in Scene 2 of "Blasted"? What does he do?
9. What is Ian's response when the soldier asks him to report his stories? What does the soldier then do?
10. What do Carl and Rod represent symbolically in "Cleansed"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of mutilation in the play "Cleansed". How does this theme relate to the other plays in the anthology?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Strophe and Hippolytus in "Phaedra's Love". Is this element reflected in Seneca's play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolic meaning of the soldier in "Blasted". How does he represent sexual violence in the piece? What was the public reaction to this violence?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)