|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Theseus die in Scene 8 of "Phaedra's Love"?
2. What does Graham ask Tinker to do in Scene 1 of "Cleansed"?
3. What is Phaedra's daughter's name?
4. How many plays did Sarah Kane complete in her lifetime?
5. Strophe says that she would die for what in Scene 5 of "Phaedra's Love"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the dynamic between Ian and Cate in Scene 1 of "Blasted." How are these characters different?
2. How does the soldier describe his girlfriend's death in Scene 3 of "Blasted"?
3. What do Carl and Rod represent symbolically in "Cleansed"?
4. What is the focus of "Blasted" following the soldier's suicide?
5. Describe the setting of "Phaedra's Love". Upon what play is the story based?
6. What is Sarah Kane's purpose in showing such graphic violence in "Blasted"?
7. What does Cate do while Ian is in the bathroom in Scene 2 of "Blasted"?
8. What does Strophe do when she discovers who Phaedra is infatuated with in "Phaedra's Love"?
9. How many works are included in Sarah Kane: Complete Plays? What themes tie the works together?
10. How is Ian's job illustrated in Scene 1 of "Blasted"? What history between Ian and Cate is revealed through exposition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting and physical elements of "Crave". What does the author write by way of stage directions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and describe the characters of Carl and Rod in the narrative as well as the theme of forbidden love. How do Carl and Rod represent this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the characters of Phaedra and Strophe in "Phaedra's Love". What is Phaedra's objective in the play? What obstacles does she face?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)