|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the hotel room in which "Blasted" takes place?
2. What does Grace ask Robin if he can do in Scene 3 of "Cleansed"?
3. What does Hippolytus realize Phaedra's accusation was to him in Scene 5 of "Phaedra's Love"?
4. Who is the queen in "Phaedra's Love"?
5. What does Tinker do after putting Grace to bed in Scene 3 of "Cleansed"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolic and thematic center of "Cleansed"?
2. How does Ian restrain Cate in the room in Scene 2 of "Blasted"? What does he say to make her stay?
3. Why does Phaedra consult a doctor about Hippolytus in Scene 2 of "Phaedra's Love"?
4. What does the public want to do to Hippolytus in Scene 5 of "Phaedra's Love"? What does Hippolytus reveal to Strophe?
5. What is Sarah Kane's purpose in showing such graphic violence in "Blasted"?
6. What elements of the setting are revealed in greater detail in Scene 2 of "Blasted"?
7. Discuss the staging of "Phaedra's Love." What elements would make staging difficult?
8. What aspects of Ian's personality are revealed in Scene 2 of "Blasted"?
9. What is the focus of "Blasted" following the soldier's suicide?
10. Who does Grace meet with in Scene 3 of "Cleansed"? Where do they meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of "Blasted" and its inspiration from the Bosnian/Serbian conflicts during the 1990s. How many "rape camps" were instilled during this time?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Grace in "Cleansed". What characters in the other plays of the anthology is Grace comparable to? How?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the plot structure of "Phaedra's Love". How traditional is the structure? Where is the exposition, rising action, climax and denouement?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)