|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to a type of journalism that presents little or no legitimate well-researched news and instead uses eye-catching headlines to sell more newspapers?
2. Why does Phaedra seek a doctor regarding Hippolytus in "Phaedra's Love"?
3. What does Tinker do after putting Grace to bed in Scene 3 of "Cleansed"?
4. What does Tinker give Grace before leaving in Scene 3 of "Cleansed"?
5. What does the soldier do after raping and torturing Ian in "Blasted"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Strophe reveal happened to Phaedra in Scene 5 of "Phaedra's Love"? How does Hippolytus respond?
2. Where is the opening of "Cleansed" set? Who is in the first scene?
3. What elements of the setting are revealed in greater detail in Scene 2 of "Blasted"?
4. What is Ian's response when the soldier asks him to report his stories? What does the soldier then do?
5. What does Strophe tell Hippolytus when she enters in Scene 5 of "Phaedra's Love"? What is his response?
6. In what way does the soldier torture Ian after raping him in Scene 3 of "Blasted"?
7. What is the central theme of "Phaedra's Love"?
8. What is Hippolytus doing in the beginning of Scene 4 of "Phaedra's Love"? What does Phaedra enter with?
9. What does Strophe do when she discovers who Phaedra is infatuated with in "Phaedra's Love"?
10. What does the public want to do to Hippolytus in Scene 5 of "Phaedra's Love"? What does Hippolytus reveal to Strophe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Grace in "Cleansed". What characters in the other plays of the anthology is Grace comparable to? How?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Strophe and Hippolytus in "Phaedra's Love". Is this element reflected in Seneca's play?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the plot structure of "Blasted". Who is the protagonist of the play? How is this indicated?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)