|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Strophe say the public wants to do to Hippolytus in Scene 5 of "Phaedra's Love"?
2. Where was Sarah Kane born?
3. Where is the hotel room in which "Blasted" takes place?
4. How did Sarah Kane die?
5. When Hippolytus emerges in Scene 8 of "Phaedra's Love", Theseus kisses him and does what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Strophe tell Hippolytus when she enters in Scene 5 of "Phaedra's Love"? What is his response?
2. Where do the skinheads cause a brawl in "Skin"? Where does Billy flee?
3. What plot threads emerge in the second half of "Cleansed"?
4. What characters are central in the first half of "Crave"? What do they discuss?
5. Describe the dynamic between Ian and Cate in Scene 1 of "Blasted." How are these characters different?
6. Why is Grace beaten in Scene 10 of "Cleansed"? Who appears to her in this scene?
7. Describe the setting of "Phaedra's Love". Upon what play is the story based?
8. What does Strophe do when she discovers who Phaedra is infatuated with in "Phaedra's Love"?
9. Discuss the staging of "Phaedra's Love." What elements would make staging difficult?
10. Discuss the character dynamic in the first half of "Crave." Who pursues who?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Strophe and Hippolytus in "Phaedra's Love". Is this element reflected in Seneca's play?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the plot structure of "Phaedra's Love". How traditional is the structure? Where is the exposition, rising action, climax and denouement?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "self-inflicted pain" and the actions of Hippolytus in Scenes 6 and 7 of "Phaedra's Love". In what way does Hippolytus seek his own demise?
This section contains 1,301 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)