|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Strophe say the public wants to do to Hippolytus in Scene 5 of "Phaedra's Love"?
(a) Lynch him.
(b) Celebrate him.
(c) Crown him king.
(d) Worship him.
2. What does Ian do to quiet Cate from begging him not to answer the door in Scene 2 of "Blasted"?
(a) Holds a gun to her head.
(b) Covers her head with a pillow.
(c) Covers her mouth with his hand.
(d) Puts a knife to her throat.
3. Where is the hotel room in which "Blasted" takes place?
(a) Barcelona, Spain.
(b) Leeds, England.
(c) Rome, Italy.
(d) Warsaw, Poland.
4. What does Ian ask Cate when he begins eating breakfast in Scene 2 of "Blasted"?
(a) To never speak to him again.
(b) To stay another day.
(c) For money.
(d) For oral sex.
5. What has destroyed the hotel room in Scene 3 of "Blasted"?
(a) A mortar shell.
(b) An earthquake.
(c) A grenade.
(d) A tornado.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cate is described as being what in "Blasted"?
2. Who was Hippolytus' former lover in "Phaedra's Love"?
3. Ian claims in Scene 2 of "Blasted" that every awful thing he has done was for what?
4. What season is it in Scene 2 of "Cleansed"?
5. What sexually transmitted disease does Hippolytus tell Phaedra he has in "Phaedra's Love"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is the opening of "Cleansed" set? Who is in the first scene?
2. Who does Grace meet with in Scene 3 of "Cleansed"? Where do they meet?
3. How is Ian's job illustrated in Scene 1 of "Blasted"? What history between Ian and Cate is revealed through exposition?
4. What elements of the setting are revealed in greater detail in Scene 2 of "Blasted"?
5. What do Carl and Rod represent symbolically in "Cleansed"?
6. What is the central theme of "Phaedra's Love"?
7. Describe the setting of "Phaedra's Love". Upon what play is the story based?
8. Who visits Hippolytus in Scene 6 of "Phaedra's Love"? What does Hippolytus tell him?
9. What does Strophe reveal happened to Phaedra in Scene 5 of "Phaedra's Love"? How does Hippolytus respond?
10. What is Sarah Kane's purpose in showing such graphic violence in "Blasted"?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)