|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Roughly how much money is missing from Wolf's accounts?
2. The judge sets Willet's bail at which amount?
3. What location was used to send the fax?
4. What about Willet's relationship with Tinney is called into evidence?
5. What is the alleged motive of Willet's murder charge?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eagle ask Wolf to do next? What is the purpose?
2. What are Wolf's plans for Christmas night?
3. Eagle calls Wolf with important and disturbing news. What is the news?
4. Explain Wolf's state of mind on New Year's Eve.
5. What happens after Wolf turns himself in for the second time?
6. What surprises Eagle about the court documents?
7. Who does Eagle hire in chapter 40? What is the job responsibility for the new employee?
8. What does Cupie find at the paper maker's place?
9. What does Barbara attempt to tell Eagle and Wolf? Why is Barbara at Wolf's house?
10. Discuss the next scene involving Eagle, Wolf, and Spider.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Miriam aka Julia steals a great deal of money from Wolf. How much money is stolen by Julia? How does she do it? When does she do it? What is the reason for the theft? Who discovers the theft? Where is the money? How can Wolf get the money back? What does the theft tell you about Julia? Does the theft make sense given Barbara's description of her sister? Explain. Who intervenes in the case of the stolen funds? What happens to the money in the end? What would you do in Wolf's position? How did the transfer of the funds compromise Julia's plan?
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is an important part of a mystery, often giving clues to the reader and the story's detective. What are the ways in which Woods uses symbolism in his stories? Give examples of blatant symbolism and more subtle symbolism. Compare and contrast the symbolism used in Woods' mysteries and the mysteries written by another famous author.
Essay Topic 3
There are several people mentioned early in the text regarding the movie business in Los Angeles. They include Wolf Willet, Jack Tinney and Hal Berger. Compare and contrast the three characters in reference to their personal and professional interests as well as their interest in the success of the partnership. Who stands to benefit the most? Explain.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)