|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the recipient of the fake document?
2. How much is Willet's bail?
3. The interviewee refers to what event?
4. How long does Wolf spend at home alone?
5. How tall is Barbara Kennerly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Wolf receive on New Year's Eve?
2. What surprises Eagle about the court documents?
3. Who does Eagle hire in chapter 40? What is the job responsibility for the new employee?
4. What does Wolf find when he arrives at Mark's house?
5. Eagle calls Wolf with important and disturbing news. What is the news?
6. Explain Eagle's plans for New Year's Eve.
7. What is Julia's explanation of the night of the murders?
8. Explain Wolf's state of mind on New Year's Eve.
9. What does Wolf do on New Year's Day?
10. What does Cupie find at the paper maker's place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Assuming a psychiatrist's point of view, analyze the situation with Miriam aka Julia. Discuss Julia's past history in regards to psychiatric issues and illegal activity. What would a psychiatrist say about Julia's selfishness and continuous string of schemes? Is Julia mentally ill? What would the terminology be from a psychiatrist's point of view? What kind of treatment might Julia have benefited from before the situation got out of hand? Is the behavior something that can be "cured?" If so, how? If not, what else can be done?
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is an important part of a mystery, often giving clues to the reader and the story's detective. What are the ways in which Woods uses symbolism in his stories? Give examples of blatant symbolism and more subtle symbolism. Compare and contrast the symbolism used in Woods' mysteries and the mysteries written by another famous author.
Essay Topic 3
Wolf disobeys the court order and takes Jane on his private plane. Where does the couple go? Why does Wolf disobey the court order? What is in the court order? Does Jane know that Wolf is breaking the law? If so, what does she say? If not, how do you think she would react if she found out? Why is it so important for Wolf to take the trip? What might happen if Wolf gets caught? Does Eagle know about the trip? Explain.
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)