|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname does Snopes call Benbow?
2. What does Benbow do on the night after Ruby testifies.
3. What is Temple's drink of choice?
4. Narcissa claims that Benbow is not the best ___________________.
5. Who does Temple say shot Tommy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Narcissa continue to insert herself into Benbow's life?
2. What information does Ruby give Benbow regarding Temple and Temple's role in her shocking situation?
3. Why does Clarence ridicule Virgil and Fonzo?
4. Why is Temple's story especially disturbing for Benbow?
5. Who is Eustace Graham?
6. What is Narcissa's position when she learns that Ruby and her child have been run out of the hotel?
7. What does Narcissa think about Benbow's insistence on defending Goodwin?
8. How does Benbow show that he is a compassionate man?
9. What is the nature of Temple's court appearance?
10. How do Virgil Snopes and Fonzo unwittingly end up staying at Reba's whorehouse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prejudice takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite three examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Ruby. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Benbow, Temple and Ruby. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, socialization, etc.
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)