|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Popeye's physical status as a child?
2. What does Narcissa offer to pay for for Ruby?
3. How many days do Snopes and his traveling companion stay at the location in #117 before they realize the nature of the place?
4. Which of the following does Reba NOT tell Temple about Popeye?
5. What is Benbow's interest in taking Goodwin's case?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does the opportunistic Snopes sell to Benbow?
2. Explain the metaphor of Temple's being tossed around during the rough car ride.
3. What is strange about Reba's lack of questioning Temple's situation?
4. How does Benbow continue to show his compassion for Ruby and Goodwin?
5. What is the nature of Temple's court appearance?
6. Why is Temple's story especially disturbing for Benbow?
7. What is Goodwin's ultimate fate?
8. Who is Eustace Graham?
9. How does Benbow meet Senator Snopes and what information does he give Benbow regarding Temple?
10. What is Goodwin's fatalistic approach to his case?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
SANCTUARY is sometimes defined as being written in the Southern Gothic style. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Ruby. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Benbow, Temple and Ruby. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, socialization, etc.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)