|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ruby offers to pay for Benbow's services with ____________________.
2. Who takes Temple out of the courtroom?
3. What is Goodwin's position on his case?
4. Benbow asks Temple about where ____________ is.
5. Who is Temple's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Miss Reba get so mad at Popeye?
2. How does Faulkner finally indicate who was murdered?
3. What crime has Popeye committed against Temple?
4. How does Benbow continue to show his compassion for Ruby and Goodwin?
5. Why does Temple leave Popeye at the bar and return to Reba's alone?
6. What is the nature of Narcissa's visit with Eustace Graham?
7. What is strange about Reba's lack of questioning Temple's situation?
8. Where does Popeye take Temple in Memphis?
9. What is Narcissa's position when she learns that Ruby and her child have been run out of the hotel?
10. Why is Temple's story especially disturbing for Benbow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Temple. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Goodwin. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 3
SANCTUARY is sometimes defined as being written in the Southern Gothic style. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)