|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long do Snopes and his traveling companion intend to stay at the location in #117?
2. Narcissa claims that Benbow is not the best ___________________.
3. What happens to Goodwin?
4. Who was the man who was killed in the story?
5. With what object has Popeye raped Temple?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Narcissa think about Benbow's insistence on defending Goodwin?
2. Who is Eustace Graham?
3. What is Temple's condition when Benbow finally finds her?
4. Why does Temple leave Popeye at the bar and return to Reba's alone?
5. What decision does Benbow make regarding his personal life?
6. How does Temple show that she is shutting herself off from her situation?
7. How does Faulkner finally indicate who was murdered?
8. What is the nature of Narcissa's visit with Eustace Graham?
9. What information does Ruby give Benbow regarding Temple and Temple's role in her shocking situation?
10. What is the nature of Temple's court appearance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of greed. Identify at least two examples about greed in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of greed.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Benbow, Temple and Ruby. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)