|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the jury deliberate in Goodwin's trial?
2. What is Goodwin's position on his case?
3. What does Temple do when Benbow offers to take her home?
4. What was Popeye's physical status as a child?
5. What is Eustace Graham's distinguishing physical characteristic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Popeye take Temple in Memphis?
2. What information does Ruby give Benbow regarding Temple and Temple's role in her shocking situation?
3. What decision does Benbow make regarding his personal life?
4. What is Temple's condition when Benbow finally finds her?
5. Why does Miss Reba get so mad at Popeye?
6. Why does Temple leave Popeye at the bar and return to Reba's alone?
7. What is strange about Reba's lack of questioning Temple's situation?
8. Why does Clarence ridicule Virgil and Fonzo?
9. How does Benbow show that he is a compassionate man?
10. How does Temple show that she is shutting herself off from her situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 3
Faulkner is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)