|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main piece of evidence in Goodwin's trial?
2. Popeye takes Temple to a bar that has _______________.
3. What realization does Temple finally come to?
4. What is Reba's profession?
5. Why does Benbow write Belle a letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Narcissa's position when she learns that Ruby and her child have been run out of the hotel?
2. What crime has Popeye committed against Temple?
3. What decision does Benbow make regarding his personal life?
4. Why does Clarence ridicule Virgil and Fonzo?
5. What does Narcissa think about Benbow's insistence on defending Goodwin?
6. What is strange about Reba's lack of questioning Temple's situation?
7. Why does Reba tell Temple that she should feel lucky that Popeye has chosen her?
8. What is Temple's condition when Benbow finally finds her?
9. What information does Ruby give Benbow regarding Temple and Temple's role in her shocking situation?
10. Why does Narcissa continue to insert herself into Benbow's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Ruby. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 2
Prejudice takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite three examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book SANCTUARY? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)