|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stays in the room when Benbow interviews Temple?
2. Popeye takes Temple to a bar that has _______________.
3. Belle asks Benbow for _________________.
4. Benbow compares Temple to _______________.
5. How old is Temple when she takes the stand in Goodwin's trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Temple's condition when Benbow finally finds her?
2. Explain the metaphor of Temple's being tossed around during the rough car ride.
3. What information does the opportunistic Snopes sell to Benbow?
4. How do Virgil Snopes and Fonzo unwittingly end up staying at Reba's whorehouse?
5. What decision does Benbow make regarding his personal life?
6. What is the nature of Narcissa's visit with Eustace Graham?
7. How does Benbow show that he is a compassionate man?
8. How does Benbow continue to show his compassion for Ruby and Goodwin?
9. How does Temple show that she is shutting herself off from her situation?
10. What crime has Popeye committed against Temple?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Ruby and Temple. What are their obvious differences? Why does Ruby feel such disdain for Temple? What does Temple think about Ruby? What things bring them together? What similarities do they share?
Essay Topic 2
Prejudice takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite three examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Faulkner is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)