|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Belle doing when Benbow returns home?
2. Benbow compares Temple to _______________.
3. Temple had been sent to _____________ to stay with an aunt.
4. With what object has Popeye raped Temple?
5. What will probably happen to Goodwin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of Temple's court appearance?
2. How does Benbow show that he is a compassionate man?
3. Why does Temple leave Popeye at the bar and return to Reba's alone?
4. How do Virgil Snopes and Fonzo unwittingly end up staying at Reba's whorehouse?
5. Explain the metaphor of Temple's being tossed around during the rough car ride.
6. How does Benbow continue to show his compassion for Ruby and Goodwin?
7. What is Goodwin's fatalistic approach to his case?
8. How does Snopes show his vehement prejudice against Jews?
9. Who is Eustace Graham?
10. Why does Clarence ridicule Virgil and Fonzo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Faulkner is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Prejudice takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite three examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of corruption. Identify at least two examples about corruption in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of corruption.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)