|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Benbow's reaction to the verdict?
2. What happens to Goodwin?
3. Temple tells Benbow all the details of the night __________________.
4. What is Belle doing when Benbow returns home?
5. Snopes has a virulent hatred for ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Narcissa continue to insert herself into Benbow's life?
2. What is Goodwin's ultimate fate?
3. How does Benbow continue to show his compassion for Ruby and Goodwin?
4. Explain the metaphor of Temple's being tossed around during the rough car ride.
5. How does Faulkner finally indicate who was murdered?
6. What is Narcissa's position when she learns that Ruby and her child have been run out of the hotel?
7. What crime has Popeye committed against Temple?
8. How does Snopes show his vehement prejudice against Jews?
9. Why does Temple leave Popeye at the bar and return to Reba's alone?
10. What is Goodwin's fatalistic approach to his case?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Ruby. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Temple. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)