|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does NOT fill Temple's room?
2. What is Benbow's reaction to the verdict?
3. What do Benbow and Ruby argue about?
4. Where is Popeye taking Temple?
5. With what object has Popeye raped Temple?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Benbow show that he is a compassionate man?
2. What information does Ruby give Benbow regarding Temple and Temple's role in her shocking situation?
3. How do Virgil Snopes and Fonzo unwittingly end up staying at Reba's whorehouse?
4. What does Benbow learn about Temple and Popeye's location just prior to the trial?
5. Why is Temple's story especially disturbing for Benbow?
6. Why does Temple leave Popeye at the bar and return to Reba's alone?
7. How does Benbow continue to show his compassion for Ruby and Goodwin?
8. What is Goodwin's ultimate fate?
9. Who is Eustace Graham?
10. Why does Clarence ridicule Virgil and Fonzo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Temple. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of greed. Identify at least two examples about greed in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of greed.
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)