|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the jury deliberate in Goodwin's trial?
2. Who refuses to allow Temple to have any more alcohol?
3. Who is Eustace Graham?
4. What is the main piece of evidence in Goodwin's trial?
5. What is Belle doing when Benbow returns home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Eustace Graham?
2. In what way does Ruby try to save Benbow's reputation?
3. What information does Ruby give Benbow regarding Temple and Temple's role in her shocking situation?
4. How does Benbow continue to show his compassion for Ruby and Goodwin?
5. Why does Narcissa continue to insert herself into Benbow's life?
6. What is Narcissa's position when she learns that Ruby and her child have been run out of the hotel?
7. What information does the opportunistic Snopes sell to Benbow?
8. Why does Temple leave Popeye at the bar and return to Reba's alone?
9. What does Narcissa think about Benbow's insistence on defending Goodwin?
10. What is the nature of Narcissa's visit with Eustace Graham?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Faulkner uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Ruby and Temple. What are their obvious differences? Why does Ruby feel such disdain for Temple? What does Temple think about Ruby? What things bring them together? What similarities do they share?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of greed. Identify at least two examples about greed in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of greed.
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)