|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Temple's physical condition?
2. Who refuses to allow Temple to have any more alcohol?
3. What does Temple repeatedly demand?
4. Benbow asks Temple about where ____________ is.
5. What was Popeye's physical status as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Temple's condition when Benbow finally finds her?
2. Where does Popeye take Temple in Memphis?
3. How do Virgil Snopes and Fonzo unwittingly end up staying at Reba's whorehouse?
4. What is strange about Reba's lack of questioning Temple's situation?
5. What is Narcissa's position when she learns that Ruby and her child have been run out of the hotel?
6. How does Benbow meet Senator Snopes and what information does he give Benbow regarding Temple?
7. Why does Narcissa continue to insert herself into Benbow's life?
8. Why does Reba tell Temple that she should feel lucky that Popeye has chosen her?
9. What is Goodwin's fatalistic approach to his case?
10. How does Benbow show that he is a compassionate man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Faulkner use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Faulkner's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)