|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Reba get angry at Popeye?
2. What do Benbow and Ruby argue about?
3. What is the verdict in Goodwin's trial?
4. Who offers to sell information about Temple to Benbow?
5. How long do Snopes and his traveling companion intend to stay at the location in #117?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Temple's condition when Benbow finally finds her?
2. What crime has Popeye committed against Temple?
3. How does Temple show that she is shutting herself off from her situation?
4. How do Virgil Snopes and Fonzo unwittingly end up staying at Reba's whorehouse?
5. In what way does Ruby try to save Benbow's reputation?
6. How does Snopes show his vehement prejudice against Jews?
7. How does Benbow show that he is a compassionate man?
8. What is Goodwin's ultimate fate?
9. Why does Reba tell Temple that she should feel lucky that Popeye has chosen her?
10. What does Benbow learn about Temple and Popeye's location just prior to the trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Benbow, Temple and Ruby. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of corruption. Identify at least two examples about corruption in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of corruption.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Benbow. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)