|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city is Popeye arrested?
2. How long does the jury deliberate in Goodwin's trial?
3. What is Graham's opinion of Benbow's chances in Goodwin's trial?
4. For what is Popeye arrested?
5. What does Narcissa offer to pay for for Ruby?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Temple leave Popeye at the bar and return to Reba's alone?
2. Why is Temple's story especially disturbing for Benbow?
3. Why does Narcissa continue to insert herself into Benbow's life?
4. What does Narcissa think about Benbow's insistence on defending Goodwin?
5. How does Temple show that she is shutting herself off from her situation?
6. Why does Clarence ridicule Virgil and Fonzo?
7. Explain the metaphor of Temple's being tossed around during the rough car ride.
8. What does Benbow learn about Temple and Popeye's location just prior to the trial?
9. In what way does Ruby try to save Benbow's reputation?
10. How do Virgil Snopes and Fonzo unwittingly end up staying at Reba's whorehouse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Ruby. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Benbow, Temple and Ruby. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of corruption. Identify at least two examples about corruption in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of corruption.
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)