|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Benbow after he interviews Temple?
2. What is Benbow's reaction to the verdict?
3. Why does Benbow write Belle a letter?
4. Who is Temple's father?
5. What is the verdict in Goodwin's trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Narcissa's position when she learns that Ruby and her child have been run out of the hotel?
2. What decision does Benbow make regarding his personal life?
3. How does Benbow show that he is a compassionate man?
4. In what way does Ruby try to save Benbow's reputation?
5. How does Benbow continue to show his compassion for Ruby and Goodwin?
6. What does Narcissa think about Benbow's insistence on defending Goodwin?
7. Why does Clarence ridicule Virgil and Fonzo?
8. What crime has Popeye committed against Temple?
9. Why does Narcissa continue to insert herself into Benbow's life?
10. Why does Reba tell Temple that she should feel lucky that Popeye has chosen her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Benbow. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Ruby and Temple. What are their obvious differences? Why does Ruby feel such disdain for Temple? What does Temple think about Ruby? What things bring them together? What similarities do they share?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)