|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Benbow get but does not tell Narcissa about it?
2. What is Miss Jenny's opinion of all men who make, sell or drink whiskey?
3. Why does Reba get angry at Popeye?
4. What is Benbow's reaction to the verdict?
5. What does Benbow do on the night after Ruby testifies.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Benbow show that he is a compassionate man?
2. What is strange about Reba's lack of questioning Temple's situation?
3. How does Benbow meet Senator Snopes and what information does he give Benbow regarding Temple?
4. Who is Eustace Graham?
5. What is Temple's condition when Benbow finally finds her?
6. How does Temple show that she is shutting herself off from her situation?
7. What crime has Popeye committed against Temple?
8. What is Goodwin's ultimate fate?
9. Where does Popeye take Temple in Memphis?
10. What does Benbow learn about Temple and Popeye's location just prior to the trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Faulkner use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Benbow. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)