|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Temple return to Reba's without Popeye?
2. What does Temple do when Benbow offers to take her home?
3. What happens to Benbow after he interviews Temple?
4. Snopes has a virulent hatred for ______________.
5. Benbow asks Temple about where ____________ is.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Temple leave Popeye at the bar and return to Reba's alone?
2. How does Temple show that she is shutting herself off from her situation?
3. Where does Popeye take Temple in Memphis?
4. Why is Temple's story especially disturbing for Benbow?
5. Why does Clarence ridicule Virgil and Fonzo?
6. What does Benbow learn about Temple and Popeye's location just prior to the trial?
7. What is Narcissa's position when she learns that Ruby and her child have been run out of the hotel?
8. In what way does Ruby try to save Benbow's reputation?
9. What information does the opportunistic Snopes sell to Benbow?
10. What is the nature of Temple's court appearance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Faulkner's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Popeye. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this po
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)