|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who attacks Temple in the cotton crib?
2. What is Benbow's profession?
3. Why do Gowan and Temple get stranded at the plantation?
4. Where does Temple wake up?
5. Where does Benbow take Ruby and her child?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Benbow and Narcissa differ in their opinions on what should happen to the old family home?
2. Which two characters seem to show the most compassion for Temple?
3. What instruction does Goodwin give to Ruby when she returns to the house?
4. Why does Narcissa demand that Benbow remove Ruby and her baby from their home and put them in a hotel?
5. Who is Ruby and how does Benbow meet her?
6. What behavior do the men at the plantation exhibit that frightens Temple?
7. Who is Temple and what is her relationship with Gowan Stevens?
8. Why is Tommy impotent to completely help Temple when she desperately needs it?
9. What reason does Ruby give Benbow for why she does not return to Memphis?
10. What are some of the reasons that Benbow gives for leaving his wife, Belle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Faulkner's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book SANCTUARY? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Faulkner uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)