Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Temple eventually realize about the men at the plantation?
2. About what topic do Benbow and his wife argue?
3. Who is the current beau of Benbow's sister?
4. What has Stevens proven by his recent behavior?
5. Who is Benbow's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Temple's condition when Benbow finally finds her?
2. Why does Popeye feel the need to assert himself in every situation and why is he a powerful person in the operation?
3. How does Faulkner finally indicate who was murdered?
4. Explain Goodwin's downfall as it is detailed in Chapter 17.
5. What behavior do the men at the plantation exhibit that frightens Temple?
6. What is the nature of Goodwin's whiskey operation?
7. How does Benbow continue to show his compassion for Ruby and Goodwin?
8. Why does Narcissa demand that Benbow remove Ruby and her baby from their home and put them in a hotel?
9. How does Temple blame Stevens for their predicament?
10. Why does Narcissa continue to insert herself into Benbow's life?
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Benbow. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Faulkner use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Faulkner's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)