|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Benbow challenge Popeye to do?
2. Who attacks Temple in the cotton crib?
3. Who is the cook at Old Frenchman Place?
4. Who do Popeye and Temple pass by without any sign of recognition?
5. What does the person in #31 tell Temple about Goodwin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Narcissa demand that Benbow remove Ruby and her baby from their home and put them in a hotel?
2. Explain Goodwin's downfall as it is detailed in Chapter 17.
3. How does Temple blame Stevens for their predicament?
4. What reason does Ruby give Benbow for why she does not return to Memphis?
5. Which two characters seem to show the most compassion for Temple?
6. Who is arrested for murder and how does he hamper his own defense?
7. How does Ruby treat Temple and what advice does she give her?
8. Who is Narcissa and how does she spend her time?
9. Is Stevens really a gentleman who knows how to drink?
10. Why does Ruby continue to tolerate the abusive behavior from the men in the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Ruby and Temple. What are their obvious differences? Why does Ruby feel such disdain for Temple? What does Temple think about Ruby? What things bring them together? What similarities do they share?
Essay Topic 2
Prejudice takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite three examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of greed. Identify at least two examples about greed in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of greed.
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)