Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Temple eventually realize about the men at the plantation?
2. About what topic do Benbow and his wife argue?
3. Who is the current beau of Benbow's sister?
4. What has Stevens proven by his recent behavior?
5. Who is Benbow's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Temple's condition when Benbow finally finds her?
2. Why does Popeye feel the need to assert himself in every situation and why is he a powerful person in the operation?
3. How does Faulkner finally indicate who was murdered?
4. Explain Goodwin's downfall as it is detailed in Chapter 17.
5. What behavior do the men at the plantation exhibit that frightens Temple?
6. What is the nature of Goodwin's whiskey operation?
7. How does Benbow continue to show his compassion for Ruby and Goodwin?
8. Why does Narcissa demand that Benbow remove Ruby and her baby from their home and put them in a hotel?
9. How does Temple blame Stevens for their predicament?
10. Why does Narcissa continue to insert herself into Benbow's life?
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Faulkner points out the decay in the American South. How is the South in 1930 radically different from the Old South in the glorious days? What is Faulkner's opinion of the changes that have occurred?
Essay Topic 2
Faulkner uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)