|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who attacks Temple in the cotton crib?
2. Overall, the person in #31 thinks that Temple is _______________.
3. What frustrates Benbow about Goodwin?
4. What is Old Frenchman Place?
5. What is publicly known about Goodwin and Ruby?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Ruby try to save Benbow's reputation?
2. What does Benbow learn about Temple and Popeye's location just prior to the trial?
3. Why does Narcissa demand that Benbow remove Ruby and her baby from their home and put them in a hotel?
4. Explain why Benbow assigns a gender to nature.
5. Who is Benbow and what is his objective for needing to cross the spring?
6. What is the nature of Temple's court appearance?
7. Why does Temple leave Popeye at the bar and return to Reba's alone?
8. Where does Popeye take Temple in Memphis?
9. What information does the opportunistic Snopes sell to Benbow?
10. How does Temple blame Stevens for their predicament?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Temple. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Faulkner points out the decay in the American South. How is the South in 1930 radically different from the Old South in the glorious days? What is Faulkner's opinion of the changes that have occurred?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,433 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)