|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Popeye give the cook for firing him?
2. How long do Popeye and Benbow stare at each other?
3. Why does Ruby keep her small son in a box?
4. Who is Benbow's sister?
5. Why does Temple get angry at Gowan?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Benbow and Narcissa differ in their opinions on what should happen to the old family home?
2. How does Ruby show her prejudice for people in the upper class?
3. Why does Popeye feel the need to assert himself in every situation and why is he a powerful person in the operation?
4. Describe Temple's fear as she awakens at the plantation the next morning.
5. Is Stevens really a gentleman who knows how to drink?
6. Do Popeye and Temple acknowledge Ruby as they drive away from the plantation?
7. Who is Benbow and what is his objective for needing to cross the spring?
8. Explain why Benbow assigns a gender to nature.
9. Which two characters seem to show the most compassion for Temple?
10. How does Temple blame Stevens for their predicament?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Faulkner points out the decay in the American South. How is the South in 1930 radically different from the Old South in the glorious days? What is Faulkner's opinion of the changes that have occurred?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Temple. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Goodwin. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)