|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Benbow think about Goodwin's behavior?
2. Who takes away Temple's raincoat?
3. What does Temple do to try to protect herself?
4. Who is the current beau of Benbow's sister?
5. What will Benbow receive for defending Goodwin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is arrested for murder and how does he hamper his own defense?
2. Is Stevens really a gentleman who knows how to drink?
3. Who is Benbow and what is his objective for needing to cross the spring?
4. How do Benbow and Narcissa differ in their opinions on what should happen to the old family home?
5. What instruction does Goodwin give to Ruby when she returns to the house?
6. How does Temple try to protect herself while at the plantation?
7. Describe Temple's fear as she awakens at the plantation the next morning.
8. Why does Narcissa demand that Benbow remove Ruby and her baby from their home and put them in a hotel?
9. What are some of the reasons that Benbow gives for leaving his wife, Belle?
10. What behavior do the men at the plantation exhibit that frightens Temple?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Temple. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 2
Prejudice takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite three examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Benbow, Temple and Ruby. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, socialization, etc.
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)