|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long do Popeye and Benbow stare at each other?
2. What is publicly known about Goodwin and Ruby?
3. Why did Benbow leave his wife?
4. Which of the men continues to paw at Temple?
5. Who does the sheriff take into custody?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the reasons that Benbow gives for leaving his wife, Belle?
2. Where does Popeye take Temple in Memphis?
3. Who is Benbow and what is his objective for needing to cross the spring?
4. What is Temple's condition when Benbow finally finds her?
5. What crime has Popeye committed against Temple?
6. What is Temple's family situation and why does that alienate Ruby?
7. How do Benbow and Narcissa differ in their opinions on what should happen to the old family home?
8. Why does Narcissa continue to insert herself into Benbow's life?
9. Which two characters seem to show the most compassion for Temple?
10. Why does Ruby continue to tolerate the abusive behavior from the men in the house?
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Temple. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 2
Faulkner uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Popeye. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this po
This section contains 1,547 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)