|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does the person in #12 call Benbow?
2. Who attacks Temple in the cotton crib?
3. Who is the cook at Old Frenchman Place?
4. What frustrates Benbow about Goodwin?
5. What does Temple eventually realize about the men at the plantation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Narcissa and how does she spend her time?
2. How has Stevens let Temple down, and who comes to Temple's rescue?
3. What reason does Ruby give Benbow for why she does not return to Memphis?
4. Describe Temple's fear as she awakens at the plantation the next morning.
5. How do Benbow and Narcissa differ in their opinions on what should happen to the old family home?
6. Why does Narcissa demand that Benbow remove Ruby and her baby from their home and put them in a hotel?
7. Do Popeye and Temple acknowledge Ruby as they drive away from the plantation?
8. Is Stevens really a gentleman who knows how to drink?
9. Who is Ruby and how does Benbow meet her?
10. What is the nature of Goodwin's whiskey operation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book SANCTUARY? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Goodwin. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Faulkner use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)