|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The local boys know where Gowan can find ____________.
2. In what month of the year does SANCTUARY begin?
3. Why do Gowan and Temple get stranded at the plantation?
4. In what state does the story in SANCTUARY begin?
5. Why is Ruby to call the person in #71?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Benbow continue to show his compassion for Ruby and Goodwin?
2. What is Goodwin's fatalistic approach to his case?
3. Explain Goodwin's downfall as it is detailed in Chapter 17.
4. How does Faulkner finally indicate who was murdered?
5. Why does Popeye feel the need to assert himself in every situation and why is he a powerful person in the operation?
6. How do Benbow and Narcissa differ in their opinions on what should happen to the old family home?
7. Which two characters seem to show the most compassion for Temple?
8. Who is Ruby and how does Benbow meet her?
9. Why is Stevens so upset with himself the next morning?
10. How does Temple try to protect herself while at the plantation?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of corruption. Identify at least two examples about corruption in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of corruption.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Ruby. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 3
SANCTUARY is sometimes defined as being written in the Southern Gothic style. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 1,542 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)