|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the person in #21 attend college?
2. Why did Benbow leave his wife?
3. What does Temple find in the house?
4. What does Benbow refuse to do with the house he and his sister own?
5. How does Popeye introduce Benbow to the men at Old Frenchman Place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ruby continue to tolerate the abusive behavior from the men in the house?
2. What reason does Ruby give Benbow for why she does not return to Memphis?
3. Why does Narcissa demand that Benbow remove Ruby and her baby from their home and put them in a hotel?
4. Who is Temple and what is her relationship with Gowan Stevens?
5. What instruction does Goodwin give to Ruby when she returns to the house?
6. How does Ruby show her prejudice for people in the upper class?
7. How does Temple try to protect herself while at the plantation?
8. Who is Ruby and how does Benbow meet her?
9. Who is Narcissa and how does she spend her time?
10. Describe Temple's fear as she awakens at the plantation the next morning.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Faulkner use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Benbow, Temple and Ruby. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, socialization, etc.
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)