|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Temple eventually realize about the men at the plantation?
2. What decision does Benbow make that displeases Narcissa?
3. Why does Ruby keep her small son in a box?
4. What advice does Ruby give to Temple?
5. In what month of the year does SANCTUARY begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Popeye feel the need to assert himself in every situation and why is he a powerful person in the operation?
2. What reason does Ruby give Benbow for why she does not return to Memphis?
3. What are some of the reasons that Benbow gives for leaving his wife, Belle?
4. How does Ruby treat Temple and what advice does she give her?
5. What is the nature of Goodwin's whiskey operation?
6. Which two characters seem to show the most compassion for Temple?
7. Who is Benbow and what is his objective for needing to cross the spring?
8. Do Popeye and Temple acknowledge Ruby as they drive away from the plantation?
9. Who is Narcissa and how does she spend her time?
10. What is Temple's family situation and why does that alienate Ruby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Faulkner uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Faulkner's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)