|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many brothers does Temple have?
2. What decision does Benbow make that displeases Narcissa?
3. Where does the person in #21 attend college?
4. What does Benbow refuse to do with the house he and his sister own?
5. Gowan gets sick because the other boys make him drink a large quantity of ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Narcissa and how does she spend her time?
2. Who is Benbow and what is his objective for needing to cross the spring?
3. Who is arrested for murder and how does he hamper his own defense?
4. Who is Temple and what is her relationship with Gowan Stevens?
5. What instruction does Goodwin give to Ruby when she returns to the house?
6. What reason does Ruby give Benbow for why she does not return to Memphis?
7. Why does Ruby continue to come to Temple's rescue?
8. What are some of the reasons that Benbow gives for leaving his wife, Belle?
9. What behavior do the men at the plantation exhibit that frightens Temple?
10. Explain why Benbow assigns a gender to nature.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Goodwin. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 2
Prejudice takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite three examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Benbow, Temple and Ruby. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, socialization, etc.
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)