|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Temple end up in the plantation?
2. About what topic do Benbow and his wife argue?
3. Who continues to watch out for Temple?
4. What does the Negro prisoner talk about?
5. What does Temple encounter that terrifies her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What crime has Popeye committed against Temple?
2. Why is Temple's story especially disturbing for Benbow?
3. Is Stevens really a gentleman who knows how to drink?
4. In what way does Ruby try to save Benbow's reputation?
5. What is the nature of Temple's court appearance?
6. How does Chapter 1 of SANCTUARY begin?
7. Why does Narcissa continue to insert herself into Benbow's life?
8. What is Temple's condition when Benbow finally finds her?
9. How does Temple show that she is shutting herself off from her situation?
10. How does Benbow meet Senator Snopes and what information does he give Benbow regarding Temple?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book SANCTUARY? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
SANCTUARY is sometimes defined as being written in the Southern Gothic style. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Faulkner points out the decay in the American South. How is the South in 1930 radically different from the Old South in the glorious days? What is Faulkner's opinion of the changes that have occurred?
This section contains 1,442 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)