|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the person in #31 call Temple?
2. How does Stevens plan on getting to town?
3. What is the Coop?
4. The local boys know where Gowan can find ____________.
5. Temple realizes that the plantation has no ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Which two characters seem to show the most compassion for Temple?
2. What behavior do the men at the plantation exhibit that frightens Temple?
3. What is the nature of Goodwin's whiskey operation?
4. How does Ruby show her prejudice for people in the upper class?
5. Who is Narcissa and how does she spend her time?
6. Why does Popeye feel the need to assert himself in every situation and why is he a powerful person in the operation?
7. How does Ruby treat Temple and what advice does she give her?
8. Why does Ruby continue to tolerate the abusive behavior from the men in the house?
9. Do Popeye and Temple acknowledge Ruby as they drive away from the plantation?
10. Who is Ruby and how does Benbow meet her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
SANCTUARY is sometimes defined as being written in the Southern Gothic style. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Popeye. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this po
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Benbow, Temple and Ruby. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, socialization, etc.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)