|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Temple do with her dress?
2. Who is Benbow's sister?
3. Overall, the person in #31 thinks that Temple is _______________.
4. How does Stevens plan on getting to town?
5. What does Benbow refuse to do with the house he and his sister own?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the reasons that Benbow gives for leaving his wife, Belle?
2. How does Temple blame Stevens for their predicament?
3. Who is Temple and what is her relationship with Gowan Stevens?
4. How has Stevens let Temple down, and who comes to Temple's rescue?
5. Explain Goodwin's downfall as it is detailed in Chapter 17.
6. Why does Ruby continue to tolerate the abusive behavior from the men in the house?
7. How does Temple try to protect herself while at the plantation?
8. Why is Tommy impotent to completely help Temple when she desperately needs it?
9. How does Ruby show her prejudice for people in the upper class?
10. How do Benbow and Narcissa differ in their opinions on what should happen to the old family home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Goodwin. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Faulkner use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Temple. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)