|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of songs does the Negro prisoner sing?
2. Who takes away Temple's raincoat?
3. What does Temple desperately need on this night?
4. Who attacks Temple in the cotton crib?
5. What name does the person in #12 call Benbow?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Temple and what is her relationship with Gowan Stevens?
2. Why does Ruby continue to tolerate the abusive behavior from the men in the house?
3. Who is arrested for murder and how does he hamper his own defense?
4. How does Ruby show her prejudice for people in the upper class?
5. How has Stevens let Temple down, and who comes to Temple's rescue?
6. Who is Benbow and what is his objective for needing to cross the spring?
7. How do Benbow and Narcissa differ in their opinions on what should happen to the old family home?
8. Explain why Benbow assigns a gender to nature.
9. What are some of the reasons that Benbow gives for leaving his wife, Belle?
10. Why does Narcissa demand that Benbow remove Ruby and her baby from their home and put them in a hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Popeye. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this po
Essay Topic 2
Explain Faulkner's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of greed. Identify at least two examples about greed in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of greed.
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)