|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Temple try to hide in the small room?
2. Who is Benbow's wife?
3. What seems to be new about Stevens' behavior?
4. Which of the following does Stevens NOT suffer as a result of the big fight?
5. Goodwin is being treated as a murderer and __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Goodwin's downfall as it is detailed in Chapter 17.
2. Who is Temple and what is her relationship with Gowan Stevens?
3. How do Benbow and Narcissa differ in their opinions on what should happen to the old family home?
4. What are some of the reasons that Benbow gives for leaving his wife, Belle?
5. Explain why Benbow assigns a gender to nature.
6. How does Temple blame Stevens for their predicament?
7. Why is Stevens so upset with himself the next morning?
8. Why does Ruby continue to come to Temple's rescue?
9. How does Ruby treat Temple and what advice does she give her?
10. Who is Narcissa and how does she spend her time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Benbow, Temple and Ruby. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Faulkner uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Ruby and Temple. What are their obvious differences? Why does Ruby feel such disdain for Temple? What does Temple think about Ruby? What things bring them together? What similarities do they share?
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)