|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Benbow leave his wife?
2. Where does Temple wake up?
3. What name does the person in #12 call Benbow?
4. Who continues to watch out for Temple?
5. Which of the men continues to paw at Temple?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Stevens so upset with himself the next morning?
2. Why does Ruby continue to tolerate the abusive behavior from the men in the house?
3. What is Temple's family situation and why does that alienate Ruby?
4. Who is Benbow and what is his objective for needing to cross the spring?
5. Why is Tommy impotent to completely help Temple when she desperately needs it?
6. How do Benbow and Narcissa differ in their opinions on what should happen to the old family home?
7. Why does Popeye feel the need to assert himself in every situation and why is he a powerful person in the operation?
8. What instruction does Goodwin give to Ruby when she returns to the house?
9. How does Temple try to protect herself while at the plantation?
10. What behavior do the men at the plantation exhibit that frightens Temple?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Temple. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Faulkner use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)