Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who breaks up a fight between Popeye, Van and Stevens?
2. Who is the most protective of Temple?
3. Who is Benbow's sister?
4. Who is Benbow's wife?
5. Who do Popeye and Temple pass by without any sign of recognition?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of Goodwin's whiskey operation?
2. What is the nature of Narcissa's visit with Eustace Graham?
3. What instruction does Goodwin give to Ruby when she returns to the house?
4. How does Benbow continue to show his compassion for Ruby and Goodwin?
5. How do Virgil Snopes and Fonzo unwittingly end up staying at Reba's whorehouse?
6. What information does Ruby give Benbow regarding Temple and Temple's role in her shocking situation?
7. How does Temple show that she is shutting herself off from her situation?
8. Who is Temple and what is her relationship with Gowan Stevens?
9. Who is Benbow and what is his objective for needing to cross the spring?
10. Who is Narcissa and how does she spend her time?
SANCTUARY is sometimes defined as being written in the Southern Gothic style. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Faulkner is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Create a brief character study of Benbow. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)