|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What town does Benbow need to reach by dark?
2. Who is Benbow's sister?
3. Which of the men continues to paw at Temple?
4. Why does Temple get angry at Gowan?
5. Where do the men put Stevens after the fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chapter 1 of SANCTUARY begin?
2. What are some of the reasons that Benbow gives for leaving his wife, Belle?
3. Why does Ruby continue to tolerate the abusive behavior from the men in the house?
4. Who is Narcissa and how does she spend her time?
5. Why does Popeye feel the need to assert himself in every situation and why is he a powerful person in the operation?
6. What behavior do the men at the plantation exhibit that frightens Temple?
7. Who is Benbow and what is his objective for needing to cross the spring?
8. Who is Temple and what is her relationship with Gowan Stevens?
9. Why is Stevens so upset with himself the next morning?
10. Is Stevens really a gentleman who knows how to drink?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of greed. Identify at least two examples about greed in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of greed.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)