|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Goodwin tells Ruby to call __________________.
2. In what state does the story in SANCTUARY begin?
3. What is Old Frenchman Place?
4. How many brothers does Temple have?
5. Who is Benbow's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Goodwin's downfall as it is detailed in Chapter 17.
2. Why does Popeye feel the need to assert himself in every situation and why is he a powerful person in the operation?
3. How does Temple try to protect herself while at the plantation?
4. How does Chapter 1 of SANCTUARY begin?
5. Is Stevens really a gentleman who knows how to drink?
6. Why is Tommy impotent to completely help Temple when she desperately needs it?
7. What instruction does Goodwin give to Ruby when she returns to the house?
8. Who is Benbow and what is his objective for needing to cross the spring?
9. Explain why Benbow assigns a gender to nature.
10. Why does Narcissa demand that Benbow remove Ruby and her baby from their home and put them in a hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book SANCTUARY? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Popeye. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this po
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Ruby. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)