|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stevens plan on getting to town?
2. In what month of the year does SANCTUARY begin?
3. Gowan gets sick because the other boys make him drink a large quantity of ______________.
4. What food does Belle like to eat?
5. What is the fate of the Negro prisoner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Stevens so upset with himself the next morning?
2. How does Temple blame Stevens for their predicament?
3. What behavior do the men at the plantation exhibit that frightens Temple?
4. Who is Temple and what is her relationship with Gowan Stevens?
5. How does Temple try to protect herself while at the plantation?
6. Who is arrested for murder and how does he hamper his own defense?
7. Who is Benbow and what is his objective for needing to cross the spring?
8. How has Stevens let Temple down, and who comes to Temple's rescue?
9. How does Chapter 1 of SANCTUARY begin?
10. Explain why Benbow assigns a gender to nature.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prejudice takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite three examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of corruption. Identify at least two examples about corruption in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of corruption.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Popeye. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this po
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)