|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Temple attend college?
2. Overall, the person in #31 thinks that Temple is _______________.
3. Who finds Temple a safe place to sleep?
4. What is the Coop?
5. What does Ruby take with her when she goes to the stream to think?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Stevens so upset with himself the next morning?
2. Why is Tommy impotent to completely help Temple when she desperately needs it?
3. Who is arrested for murder and how does he hamper his own defense?
4. Who is Ruby and how does Benbow meet her?
5. Why does Ruby continue to tolerate the abusive behavior from the men in the house?
6. What are some of the reasons that Benbow gives for leaving his wife, Belle?
7. How does Ruby treat Temple and what advice does she give her?
8. How has Stevens let Temple down, and who comes to Temple's rescue?
9. Is Stevens really a gentleman who knows how to drink?
10. Do Popeye and Temple acknowledge Ruby as they drive away from the plantation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Ruby and Temple. What are their obvious differences? Why does Ruby feel such disdain for Temple? What does Temple think about Ruby? What things bring them together? What similarities do they share?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Benbow. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)