|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes away Temple's raincoat?
2. Goodwin tells Ruby to call __________________.
3. In what state does the story in SANCTUARY begin?
4. What does Ruby take with her when she goes to the stream to think?
5. How does Stevens plan on getting to town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Ruby and how does Benbow meet her?
2. How does Chapter 1 of SANCTUARY begin?
3. Why does Narcissa demand that Benbow remove Ruby and her baby from their home and put them in a hotel?
4. Do Popeye and Temple acknowledge Ruby as they drive away from the plantation?
5. Who is Temple and what is her relationship with Gowan Stevens?
6. What is the nature of Goodwin's whiskey operation?
7. Which two characters seem to show the most compassion for Temple?
8. What is Temple's family situation and why does that alienate Ruby?
9. How does Ruby treat Temple and what advice does she give her?
10. Why does Ruby continue to tolerate the abusive behavior from the men in the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Faulkner's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Ruby. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)