|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Benbow challenge Popeye to do?
2. How long do Popeye and Benbow stare at each other?
3. What does the Negro prisoner talk about?
4. Who attacks Temple in the cotton crib?
5. In what month of the year does SANCTUARY begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Ruby give Benbow for why she does not return to Memphis?
2. How does Ruby show her prejudice for people in the upper class?
3. Which two characters seem to show the most compassion for Temple?
4. Why does Narcissa demand that Benbow remove Ruby and her baby from their home and put them in a hotel?
5. What behavior do the men at the plantation exhibit that frightens Temple?
6. How does Chapter 1 of SANCTUARY begin?
7. Who is Benbow and what is his objective for needing to cross the spring?
8. Why is Stevens so upset with himself the next morning?
9. Describe Temple's fear as she awakens at the plantation the next morning.
10. Is Stevens really a gentleman who knows how to drink?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Temple. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Popeye. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this po
Essay Topic 3
Faulkner uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)