|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Benbow, nature is _________________.
2. What does Benbow challenge Popeye to do?
3. How many brothers does Temple have?
4. Which of the men wants the others to let Temple alone?
5. What does the person in #31 call Temple?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Temple's fear as she awakens at the plantation the next morning.
2. Why does Narcissa demand that Benbow remove Ruby and her baby from their home and put them in a hotel?
3. Why does Popeye feel the need to assert himself in every situation and why is he a powerful person in the operation?
4. Why does Ruby continue to tolerate the abusive behavior from the men in the house?
5. Who is Benbow and what is his objective for needing to cross the spring?
6. Which two characters seem to show the most compassion for Temple?
7. What is the nature of Goodwin's whiskey operation?
8. What instruction does Goodwin give to Ruby when she returns to the house?
9. Is Stevens really a gentleman who knows how to drink?
10. Why does Ruby continue to come to Temple's rescue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book SANCTUARY? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Faulkner points out the decay in the American South. How is the South in 1930 radically different from the Old South in the glorious days? What is Faulkner's opinion of the changes that have occurred?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Benbow. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)