|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Temple desperately need on this night?
2. What has Stevens proven by his recent behavior?
3. Who breaks up a fight between Popeye, Van and Stevens?
4. What name does the person in #12 call Benbow?
5. What did the authorities do regarding Goodwin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Stevens so upset with himself the next morning?
2. What behavior do the men at the plantation exhibit that frightens Temple?
3. Why does Ruby continue to tolerate the abusive behavior from the men in the house?
4. Explain Goodwin's downfall as it is detailed in Chapter 17.
5. What reason does Ruby give Benbow for why she does not return to Memphis?
6. How does Ruby treat Temple and what advice does she give her?
7. What instruction does Goodwin give to Ruby when she returns to the house?
8. Who is Ruby and how does Benbow meet her?
9. Who is Benbow and what is his objective for needing to cross the spring?
10. How has Stevens let Temple down, and who comes to Temple's rescue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prejudice takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite three examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Benbow, Temple and Ruby. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Faulkner use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)