|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Temple do with her dress?
2. What is the fate of the Negro prisoner?
3. Goodwin is being treated as a murderer and __________________.
4. What is it about Benbow that makes Popeye curious?
5. Who continues to watch out for Temple?
Short Essay Questions
1. What instruction does Goodwin give to Ruby when she returns to the house?
2. What is the nature of Goodwin's whiskey operation?
3. Who is arrested for murder and how does he hamper his own defense?
4. Is Stevens really a gentleman who knows how to drink?
5. Explain Goodwin's downfall as it is detailed in Chapter 17.
6. Describe Temple's fear as she awakens at the plantation the next morning.
7. How do Benbow and Narcissa differ in their opinions on what should happen to the old family home?
8. What is Temple's family situation and why does that alienate Ruby?
9. Why does Ruby continue to tolerate the abusive behavior from the men in the house?
10. How does Ruby show her prejudice for people in the upper class?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Temple. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of greed. Identify at least two examples about greed in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of greed.
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)