|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is publicly known about Goodwin and Ruby?
2. Who is Benbow's wife?
3. Where does Benbow take Ruby and her child?
4. Why does Ruby keep her small son in a box?
5. Where does Temple's youngest brother attend college?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Stevens really a gentleman who knows how to drink?
2. How has Stevens let Temple down, and who comes to Temple's rescue?
3. Who is Ruby and how does Benbow meet her?
4. Who is Temple and what is her relationship with Gowan Stevens?
5. Explain Goodwin's downfall as it is detailed in Chapter 17.
6. Do Popeye and Temple acknowledge Ruby as they drive away from the plantation?
7. Explain why Benbow assigns a gender to nature.
8. Which two characters seem to show the most compassion for Temple?
9. How does Temple try to protect herself while at the plantation?
10. What instruction does Goodwin give to Ruby when she returns to the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Benbow. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Faulkner's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Faulkner is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)