|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Benbow think about Goodwin's behavior?
2. On what charge is the person in #77 taken into custody?
3. Who is Benbow's wife?
4. What has Stevens proven by his recent behavior?
5. The local boys know where Gowan can find ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Do Popeye and Temple acknowledge Ruby as they drive away from the plantation?
2. Who is Narcissa and how does she spend her time?
3. Who is arrested for murder and how does he hamper his own defense?
4. Why does Ruby continue to come to Temple's rescue?
5. Explain why Benbow assigns a gender to nature.
6. Who is Temple and what is her relationship with Gowan Stevens?
7. Explain Goodwin's downfall as it is detailed in Chapter 17.
8. How does Temple try to protect herself while at the plantation?
9. Who is Ruby and how does Benbow meet her?
10. Which two characters seem to show the most compassion for Temple?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of greed. Identify at least two examples about greed in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of greed.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book SANCTUARY? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Benbow. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)