|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the most protective of Temple?
2. What does Temple do with her dress?
3. Who continues to watch out for Temple?
4. Who does the sheriff take into custody?
5. According to Benbow, nature is _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Temple's fear as she awakens at the plantation the next morning.
2. Explain Goodwin's downfall as it is detailed in Chapter 17.
3. What is the nature of Goodwin's whiskey operation?
4. How does Ruby show her prejudice for people in the upper class?
5. Why does Popeye feel the need to assert himself in every situation and why is he a powerful person in the operation?
6. How does Chapter 1 of SANCTUARY begin?
7. How does Temple blame Stevens for their predicament?
8. Why does Narcissa demand that Benbow remove Ruby and her baby from their home and put them in a hotel?
9. Is Stevens really a gentleman who knows how to drink?
10. What behavior do the men at the plantation exhibit that frightens Temple?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Popeye. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this po
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book SANCTUARY? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)