|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where has Goodwin stashed his money?
(a) Buried in the backyard.
(b) Inside an old mattress.
(c) In moonshine jugs.
(d) Buried in the barn.
2. What has Stevens proven by his recent behavior?
(a) He cannot drink like a gentleman.
(b) He has epilepsy.
(c) He has not been to college.
(d) He is an upper class snob.
3. Where does Benbow arrive in the afternoon?
(a) The plantation.
(b) The courthouse.
(c) The Baptist Church.
(d) Narcissa's house.
4. Overall, the person in #31 thinks that Temple is _______________.
5. What does Benbow challenge Popeye to do?
(a) Hold his breath for five minutes.
(b) Run a marathon.
(c) Name an unseen bird.
(d) Swim across the river.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Popeye give the cook for firing him?
2. What is publicly known about Goodwin and Ruby?
3. What frustrates Benbow about Goodwin?
4. What town does Benbow need to reach by dark?
5. With whom does Ruby have a confrontation in the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do Popeye and Temple acknowledge Ruby as they drive away from the plantation?
2. How does Chapter 1 of SANCTUARY begin?
3. What reason does Ruby give Benbow for why she does not return to Memphis?
4. How do Benbow and Narcissa differ in their opinions on what should happen to the old family home?
5. Why does Ruby continue to tolerate the abusive behavior from the men in the house?
6. How does Ruby treat Temple and what advice does she give her?
7. Why does Ruby continue to come to Temple's rescue?
8. How does Temple blame Stevens for their predicament?
9. What are some of the reasons that Benbow gives for leaving his wife, Belle?
10. What is the nature of Goodwin's whiskey operation?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)