|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Benbow challenge Popeye to do?
(a) Run a marathon.
(b) Hold his breath for five minutes.
(c) Swim across the river.
(d) Name an unseen bird.
2. Why did Benbow leave his wife?
(a) He just got tired of her.
(b) She refused to have children.
(c) She was wearing makeup against his wishes.
(d) She had an affair.
3. What has Stevens proven by his recent behavior?
(a) He cannot drink like a gentleman.
(b) He has epilepsy.
(c) He is an upper class snob.
(d) He has not been to college.
4. What is the Coop?
(a) A moonshine still.
(b) A bar.
(c) A cafe.
(d) A girls' dorm.
5. What decision does Benbow make that displeases Narcissa?
(a) To become a preacher.
(b) To abandon his practice.
(c) To move into the family home.
(d) To date a younger woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month of the year does SANCTUARY begin?
2. Why does Temple get angry at Gowan?
3. Who is Benbow's sister?
4. What kind of songs does the Negro prisoner sing?
5. What does the Negro prisoner talk about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Benbow assigns a gender to nature.
2. What is the nature of Goodwin's whiskey operation?
3. What behavior do the men at the plantation exhibit that frightens Temple?
4. Why does Narcissa demand that Benbow remove Ruby and her baby from their home and put them in a hotel?
5. Who is Narcissa and how does she spend her time?
6. How does Temple blame Stevens for their predicament?
7. Why does Ruby continue to tolerate the abusive behavior from the men in the house?
8. How do Benbow and Narcissa differ in their opinions on what should happen to the old family home?
9. Do Popeye and Temple acknowledge Ruby as they drive away from the plantation?
10. What reason does Ruby give Benbow for why she does not return to Memphis?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)