|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ruby keep her small son in a box?
(a) She always knows where he is.
(b) She can't afford a bed.
(c) She can transport him easily.
(d) So he won't be attacked by rats.
2. Why does Temple get angry at Gowan?
(a) He is drunk again.
(b) He forgot the picnic lunch.
(c) He makes passes at her.
(d) He ruined her dress.
3. Who does Temple spend time with at the plantation?
4. What food does Belle like to eat?
5. About what topic do Benbow and his wife argue?
(a) She spends too much money.
(b) She wants to care for the entire world.
(c) She fired the cook.
(d) She wants to change religion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Temple do with her dress?
2. Goodwin is being treated as a murderer and __________________.
3. What does Narcissa want Benbow to do?
4. What is the fate of the Negro prisoner?
5. What is Stevens not willing to wait for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Narcissa demand that Benbow remove Ruby and her baby from their home and put them in a hotel?
2. How do Benbow and Narcissa differ in their opinions on what should happen to the old family home?
3. What are some of the reasons that Benbow gives for leaving his wife, Belle?
4. Who is Temple and what is her relationship with Gowan Stevens?
5. Who is Ruby and how does Benbow meet her?
6. What behavior do the men at the plantation exhibit that frightens Temple?
7. What is the nature of Goodwin's whiskey operation?
8. What instruction does Goodwin give to Ruby when she returns to the house?
9. Do Popeye and Temple acknowledge Ruby as they drive away from the plantation?
10. How does Ruby show her prejudice for people in the upper class?
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)