|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Temple do to try to protect herself?
(a) Double bolts the door.
(b) Wedges a chair underneath the door knob.
(c) Loads a pistol.
(d) Sleeps with the lights on.
2. What decision does Benbow make that displeases Narcissa?
(a) To become a preacher.
(b) To date a younger woman.
(c) To abandon his practice.
(d) To move into the family home.
3. What is the fate of the Negro prisoner?
(a) He will be free in a week.
(b) He is to be hanged.
(c) He will spend life in prison.
(d) He has six more months to serve.
4. Who is the cook at Old Frenchman Place?
(a) Ruby Lamar.
(b) Jane Davidson.
(c) Janelle Thibideaux.
(d) Sadie Lawton.
5. What advice does Ruby give to Temple?
(a) To stop drinking.
(b) To finish her degree.
(c) To leave the plantation.
(d) To be nicer to old people.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what topic do Benbow and his wife argue?
2. Who is Benbow's wife?
3. What seems to be new about Stevens' behavior?
4. Goodwin is being treated as a murderer and __________________.
5. Why do Gowan and Temple get stranded at the plantation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ruby continue to tolerate the abusive behavior from the men in the house?
2. Who is Ruby and how does Benbow meet her?
3. What behavior do the men at the plantation exhibit that frightens Temple?
4. Who is arrested for murder and how does he hamper his own defense?
5. Who is Temple and what is her relationship with Gowan Stevens?
6. What instruction does Goodwin give to Ruby when she returns to the house?
7. How does Temple blame Stevens for their predicament?
8. Who is Benbow and what is his objective for needing to cross the spring?
9. How does Temple try to protect herself while at the plantation?
10. Explain Goodwin's downfall as it is detailed in Chapter 17.
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)