|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What decision does Benbow make that displeases Narcissa?
(a) To date a younger woman.
(b) To become a preacher.
(c) To abandon his practice.
(d) To move into the family home.
2. What is Old Frenchman Place?
(a) A still.
(b) A museum.
(c) A plantation.
(d) A restaurant.
3. What kind of songs does the Negro prisoner sing?
(a) Great Depression songs.
(b) Pop songs.
(d) Show tunes.
4. Why does Temple get angry at Gowan?
(a) He ruined her dress.
(b) He is drunk again.
(c) He forgot the picnic lunch.
(d) He makes passes at her.
5. What has Stevens proven by his recent behavior?
(a) He has not been to college.
(b) He has epilepsy.
(c) He is an upper class snob.
(d) He cannot drink like a gentleman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Temple find in the house?
2. What advice does Ruby give to Temple?
3. What does Temple do with her dress?
4. About what topic do Benbow and his wife argue?
5. Where does Temple wake up?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ruby show her prejudice for people in the upper class?
2. What behavior do the men at the plantation exhibit that frightens Temple?
3. Explain Goodwin's downfall as it is detailed in Chapter 17.
4. How does Chapter 1 of SANCTUARY begin?
5. How does Temple blame Stevens for their predicament?
6. How has Stevens let Temple down, and who comes to Temple's rescue?
7. How does Temple try to protect herself while at the plantation?
8. Why is Stevens so upset with himself the next morning?
9. Who is arrested for murder and how does he hamper his own defense?
10. How does Ruby treat Temple and what advice does she give her?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)