|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the men continues to paw at Temple?
2. Goodwin tells Ruby to call __________________.
(a) the neighbor.
(b) the sheriff's office.
(c) the grocer.
(d) the hospital.
3. Why does Temple get angry at Gowan?
(a) He is drunk again.
(b) He makes passes at her.
(c) He ruined her dress.
(d) He forgot the picnic lunch.
4. Where does Benbow arrive in the afternoon?
(a) Narcissa's house.
(b) The courthouse.
(c) The plantation.
(d) The Baptist Church.
5. What does Benbow refuse to do with the house he and his sister own?
(a) Finish the basement.
(b) Sell it.
(c) Add a garage.
(d) Upgrade the kitchen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who breaks up a fight between Popeye, Van and Stevens?
2. What kind of songs does the Negro prisoner sing?
3. Who attacks Temple in the cotton crib?
4. Why did Benbow leave his wife?
5. What does Narcissa want Benbow to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Popeye feel the need to assert himself in every situation and why is he a powerful person in the operation?
2. Why does Ruby continue to tolerate the abusive behavior from the men in the house?
3. How do Benbow and Narcissa differ in their opinions on what should happen to the old family home?
4. Do Popeye and Temple acknowledge Ruby as they drive away from the plantation?
5. How does Ruby show her prejudice for people in the upper class?
6. Why does Ruby continue to come to Temple's rescue?
7. Describe Temple's fear as she awakens at the plantation the next morning.
8. Explain Goodwin's downfall as it is detailed in Chapter 17.
9. Explain why Benbow assigns a gender to nature.
10. How has Stevens let Temple down, and who comes to Temple's rescue?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)