|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advice does Ruby give to Temple?
(a) To finish her degree.
(b) To be nicer to old people.
(c) To stop drinking.
(d) To leave the plantation.
2. Where does Temple's youngest brother attend college?
3. The person in #31 is prejudiced against _________________.
(a) black people.
(b) retarded people.
(c) Jewish people.
(d) the upper class.
4. Goodwin tells Ruby to call __________________.
(a) the hospital.
(b) the sheriff's office.
(c) the grocer.
(d) the neighbor.
5. What does Temple find in the house?
(a) A dog.
(b) An insane old man.
(c) The baby.
(d) A thief.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long do Popeye and Benbow stare at each other?
2. Goodwin is being treated as a murderer and __________________.
3. What town does Benbow need to reach by dark?
4. About what topic do Benbow and his wife argue?
5. Who finds Temple a safe place to sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Ruby and how does Benbow meet her?
2. Explain why Benbow assigns a gender to nature.
3. What are some of the reasons that Benbow gives for leaving his wife, Belle?
4. Do Popeye and Temple acknowledge Ruby as they drive away from the plantation?
5. Why does Ruby continue to tolerate the abusive behavior from the men in the house?
6. Explain Goodwin's downfall as it is detailed in Chapter 17.
7. Why is Stevens so upset with himself the next morning?
8. Who is Benbow and what is his objective for needing to cross the spring?
9. Why does Narcissa demand that Benbow remove Ruby and her baby from their home and put them in a hotel?
10. How does Ruby treat Temple and what advice does she give her?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)