|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Temple do when Benbow offers to take her home?
(a) She refuses to go.
(b) She runs out with no shoes on.
(c) She says she needs just a minute to pack her things.
(d) She jumps out of bed naked.
2. What does Goodwin make Benbow promise him?
(a) To put his son through college.
(b) To get his son a job at the newspaper someday.
(c) To tell his son about him.
(d) To get Ruby a place to live.
3. Who stays in the room when Benbow interviews Temple?
4. What is the verdict in Goodwin's trial?
(b) Reasonable doubt.
(c) Guilty of murder.
(d) Hung jury.
5. Who runs Ruby out of the hotel?
(a) The temperance league.
(b) A group of Baptists.
(c) The sheriff.
(d) The manager.
6. Where do Snopes and his traveling companion end up staying in Memphis?
(a) At a bus station.
(b) At a hotel.
(c) At Miss Reba's.
(d) At a boarding house.
7. Snopes has a virulent hatred for ______________.
8. Who owns the business in #95?
(a) Dr. Jerome Hunter.
(b) Sister Mary Catherine.
(c) Miss Reba Rivers.
(d) Lady Sally Ann.
9. Popeye takes Temple to a bar that has _______________.
(b) cock fighting.
10. What did Popeye do instead of attending his own birthday party as a child?
(a) He cut up birds.
(b) He dropped pigs from rooftops.
(c) He threw cats into wells.
(d) He threw dogs off bridges.
11. Benbow learns that Stevens was mad and refused to stay for dinner because __________________.
(a) Temple broke up with him.
(b) There was no alcohol being served.
(c) His friend was not invited.
(d) Narcissa refused to marry him.
12. Who does Reba tell that she is furious with Popeye?
13. According to Ruby, what exacerbated the attack on Temple?
(a) She went skinny dipping.
(b) The boys have been away from women for too long.
(c) The boys get drunk on Saturday nights.
(d) She flirted outrageously with the men.
14. What is Miss Jenny's opinion of all men who make, sell or drink whiskey?
(a) They are doing what comes naturally.
(b) It helps the local economy.
(c) They should be shot.
(d) The law will catch up with them eventually.
15. What are Temple and her father doing at the end of the novel?
(a) Sipping coffee in a cafe.
(b) Walking through a garden.
(c) Having lunch at home.
(d) Driving to the beach.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Temple return to Reba's without Popeye?
2. What is Benbow's reaction to the verdict?
3. Who is Benbow's stepdaughter?
4. Which of the following has Narcissa NOT managed to save during the story?
5. Why does Reba get angry at Popeye?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)