|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Goodwin want his son to get a job?
2. What is Temple’s last name?
3. What does Benbow do when he gets home after the trial?
4. Who does Narcissa write a secret letter to?
5. What causes Benbow to be interested in Temple?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Snopes complain about in the barbershop?
2. How does this book end?
3. How does Ruby try to protect Benbow’s reputation?
4. Why does Temple need the care of a doctor?
5. What causes Snopes frustration when he learns about Miss Reba’s business?
6. What does Miss Reba say when she meets Temple?
7. Why have Stevens ended his relationship with Narcissa?
8. What is Temple’s room in Miss Reba’s house like?
9. Where does Popeye take Temple, and why?
10. How does Benbow feel after talking to Temple, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Miss Reba has a very unique role in this plot. How would you describe this role, and what would have changed in the book without her?
Essay Topic 2
Discrimination is a very important topic of discussion in this book. How is this discussion brought about, and how does it affect the tone of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Justice and Mercy are two themes that seem to appear in tandem many times in this book. What are some of these instances, and why do they always appear together?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)